Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Field Bred English Springer Spaniel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » SPANIELS » Field Bred English Springer Spaniel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mearle
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2000 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm buying some Oster clippers and will be shaving down my hunting springer before the summer heat wave arrives. I have been told to use a #4 and a #5 blade - which I need to buy yet. This is not a show dog. The grooming is only to keep him cool and to prevent cockle burs from attaching to his coat. Are these the right blades to use? Where do you use each one? Is hand stripping appropriate also?

Mearle

Mearle
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2000 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, a picture of this dog is at
http://www.prostar.com/web/roselaneess/wwessc/Barley.jpg

Mearle

Dragonbrn
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2000 - 8:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice looking dog, there, Mearle. To keep him in a field trim, you can use either the 4F or 5F blade over literally everything, except the head itself. There is probably not enough hair on his head and face for blades of that length to cut. A 8 1/2 or 10 blade (which you should have to do his penis and groin areas, as well as between the pads of his feet) taken with the grain of the hair (the direction the hair naturally grows), should leave a pleasing effect on his face and head. You should take whatever blade you use on the body with the grain of the hair also. Any rough spots leftover on legs, underbody, etc., can be neatened up with scissors. However, from your picture, your dog doesn't have a lot in the way of furnishings, which is the major reason for a field clip. The long hair on legs, "skirt", chest and rump is prone to catching any number of burrs, and can mat severely. He doesn't have much in those areas, and, if you were diligent with brush and comb, you could probably keep up with any snarls that might show up, without resorting to shaving. Just an option. Hope I gave you some pointers you could use.

Mearle
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2000 - 9:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because he hunts pheasants for extended periods at very high speed, heat dissipation is a concern. His single layer coat is flat but also plenty thick enough to hold in the heat, thus the real concern in the summertime. These dogs have actually been known to drop dead from heat exhaustion before they finally slowed down - terminally. I presume you did not recommend the skip tooth blades for cosmetic reasons.

k9hairfairy (proxy.klondyke.net - 208.245.178.2)
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2000 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are wider gaps in the teeth of skip tooth blades so it's very easy to cut the dog with these blades. Also, F blades leave a smoother finish.

Rev
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2000 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at the picture it's hard to tell but I'm not sure a #4F or #5F would take off much if any body coat when used with the lay of the coat, since it lies pretty flat. If not, you may want to go with a #7F blade for the body/neck area.

Dragonbrn
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2000 - 6:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

COOL!!! It's nice to know that some of these purebred dogs can still do what they were bred to do! F blades are safer, and do leave a nicer finished look, two reasons to use them. As Rev mentions, you might have to resort to a 7F, if the 4 or 5 don't take off what you need. Good luck.

Mearle
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2000 - 9:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I am ordering all 3 blades. Hope they arrive before the field trial in Montana in 2 weeks. Expect 80 degree plus temps during the competition. May have to use a commercial groomer for this event. The alternative is to totally soak him down with water before running him. These guys are EXTREMELY exciting to watch hunt. 5-6 ft. leaps into the air grabbing the tail feathers of flushing rooster pheasants. NO show bred genes in these dogs at all. Thus we have a severe split in English Springer Spaniels. One version to show, one for true hunting.

Rev
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2000 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mearle, I've seen cooling jackets made of something that you just soak in water & it keeps its cooling properties for hours. Would something like that help? They also make cooling pads for crates, things like that.

Linda Sheldrick (proxy2-external.rdc1.on.home.com - 24.112.158.225)
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm interested in knowing how to specifically clip my English Springer so that he can keep his feathering on his legs and belly. I'm presently showing him in obedience trials only and so would like him to keep his full coat as if he were to be shown in the conformation ring. I'm using a 7F blade on his body and 10 for his head, the front of his neck and ears. Are there specifics for the length of the feathering on his legs etc? Is a diagram out of the question?

LuckyDog (modems-51.iserv.net - 208.32.166.51)
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 1:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he were being shown in conformation his back would not be clippered at all, only carded with a stripping knife, and some thinning shear work. Clipping only the ears and the throat area with a 10. As far as the furnishings go, it all depends on the dog. Shape of the body, length of leg, and so on; so as to present a well balanced dog, with a continuing outline, no breaks in the underline/furnishings. If you're only showing him in obedience you shouldn't worry and just keep them the length you prefer for looks and ease of maintenance.

Justine (24.52.71.144)
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a call today from someone who wants feild clips for his 2 springers. This may be redundant but am I to understand that I should do what I call a "cut down" or an "all over" with anything between a 4f and 7f? I have done this on many springers before but no one has specifically called it a "feild cut". What about the ears? top 1/3 with a #10 and trim to the leather? Or if the purpose of a feild clip is to stop things from getting stuck in the fur, do they get the 4-7 too?
I just want to be absolutely sure I'm doing the right thing.
Justine

Rev (64.12.97.9)
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Justine, you need to ask him specifically what he wants. A "field cut" could be a #7 all over, or a modified springer clip with shortened furnishings, or anything in between. I wouldn't take chances but would ask him about everything. Just tell him "field cut" means different things to different people and you need to be sure just what he wants.

Travelin Mac (66.224.71.134)
Posted on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 1:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rev is right, you gotta check with the owners on what they are expecting. I have a "field springer" background, (that is, I've owned three) and generally speaking, it all comes off. Especically bewteen the toes. On my dog, Rumor, I zap her with a 7F from nose to tail and when the foxtails are bad, I give her poodle feet.

I have a client field springer who is in a modified springer trim, regular head trim, 5F on the body, shorten the feathers, and shave between the toes.

So it's important that you query the owner intensively as to what THEY are expecting.

Justine (24.52.71.144)
Posted on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 6:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will ask them. Thank you. When someone says they want a "puppy cut" it is my worst nightmare. I have to say "Well, which type of puppy cut?" and then they think I don't know what I am doing. The shop I used to work at before just did a 4f and never asked.
And I hate the "You know, a westie head". I want to say, "bring a picture of what *you* think a westied head looks like". I used to hate when they would bring pictures. Now I cut them out of magazines myself. I be sure to also cut out the name of the grand champion dog the picture is of so I can mention that their puppy mill special may not be able to achieve the same look as "Sir. Sparkling white Idon'tbite and get groomed every week"
My point is how do they expect us to know what they want when they don't even know what they want;-)
This springer guy has been on my caller ID 3 times now but not left a message. His wife called anonomously and asked my prices after he made his appt. I said $32 each. Then they were on my caller ID again after that. Watch, after all this they will cancel or will be one of those who wants to know "How many feild springer clips have you done in your entire life?" people.
Justine

Rev (152.163.189.173)
Posted on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't ask "What kind of puppy cut do you want?" I smile and say that "puppy cut" (insert "field cut" here) means something different to everyone; it isn't a set pattern, so I have to find out what you mean by it if I'm going to make you happy!

As for knowing what they want: in 1964 I got a "Vidal Sassoon" haircut, and have worn my hair like that ever since except for a couple of years when I decided I wanted to try long hair again. Since the early 70's I can NOT convey the style to a hairdresser--just one, one time in about 96, who remembered the clip and told me the name of it. I cut my own and grumble every time--but come a lot closer than any hairdresser has.

a14k9kind (68.100.207.233)
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Justine, i don't know what area you are in, but you need to charge at least twenty more clams for your Ess's. how do you get by?

Justine (24.52.71.144)
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in Munhall, just outside of Pgh. The town just below is a "depressed community". I am trying to raise my prices for new customers. I usually give them a range, then they call the Petco over the hill. I am in between 2 petco's and a Petsmart that just started grooming. I would love to go to the hourly time but have yet to figure it out, and then to inform the clients. I get by on NICE FAT TIPS;-) LOL.Saturday I got a $13 tip and a $12 tip. Not too shabby. I think that day I groomed 5 dogs and made $40 in tips.
Besides, I think it is much more work to give a full springer cut than to 4f or 5f it all over.
Justine

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.