Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Shih Tzu Hot Mess!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » DROP-COATED BREEDS » Shih Tzu Hot Mess!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

doggie_in_the_window
Registered Member
Username: doggie_in_the_window

Post Number: 917
Posted From: 75.105.92.188
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I groomed this dog for the first time four weeks ago. It was the first full coated shih-tzu I have ever done in my shop. I was scared because this was outside of my comfort zone, I do mainly clipper work. I sucked it up and he turned out beautifully, had a couple of small matts but nothing major. I wish I had a picture of that:-( Fast forward 4 weeks, Max had a beagle puppy visitor for a few days. They played and chewed on each other and mom didn't brush. Max turned into a huge matted hairball. Mom said shave him (TG), so I did:-) She loved it!!! Said she wished she would have had him clipped short before this (Yeah, me too!!). He will look much better next groom when he grows out a little and is fluffier. Mom tipped $21. Love her!!
maxb4maxafter
"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
-Robert Brault-

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 3461
Posted From: 156.34.182.25
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

funny because I did the same thing today with a shih tzu. But I used an O comb as she wanted some fluff left. She was happy.

nakedbacon
Registered Member
Username: nakedbacon

Post Number: 669
Posted From: 208.101.90.74
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cute dog! I bet he feels MUCH better now. :-)
"I bet the last time you were sorry was when you had to use the pay toilet and the string to your pet dime broke!!"

"If you're too tense, reduce to one-fifth."

doggie_in_the_window
Registered Member
Username: doggie_in_the_window

Post Number: 919
Posted From: 75.105.92.188
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It changed his personality. The first time I groomed him, he was very sedate and quiet, just stood and let me do anything and that was his first time to the groomer. He started out the same this time but when I had him half way stripped it was like he changed personalities, got all busy and playful. I think he was happy to be released from all that hair!
"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
-Robert Brault-

pampurdpups
Registered Member
Username: pampurdpups

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 70.254.71.42
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a cutie!! He looks more "comfortable" in his own skin now. You can tell when they are by the way they can finally turn their heads to look around, and wag their tails, and SCRATCH that spot that they've had itching forever, lol.

Fantastic groom!

I love the bandana, as well!

snowflake
Registered Member
Username: snowflake

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 76.247.99.147
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 2 long haired Shihtzu's come in but thankfully mom keeps them brushed really well in between grooms. I know she would never ever ask me to shave them...lol.Its sooooo much hair though, i get a little flustered but they do come out beautifully. If they were mine would they be long...NO WAY!!!! LOL. Good job on the groom by the way.

3dogs
Registered Member
Username: 3dogs

Post Number: 391
Posted From: 76.6.121.120
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today I had 2 Shih-Tzu's that the owner insists on bathing at home & then me do the scissor work. They were last down in a "C" boot length in February & yes, they have been in for the trims between the eyes, sanitary, pads & comb out but the last time was in April. I was able to demat the one since his coat is a little thinner & silky. The female though is just over a year & has a very thick coat . The owner had said that the neck was matted where the collar goes & a little in the legs. Since I was working on another dog I just nodded & got the instructions. But when I did pull her out the neck I was able to demat, shaved the belly, front legs & head o.k. then the back legs were SOLID to the point that it was casted on. No skin at all. I called her & told her & she said that she didn't want the dog shaved that she would work on it at home. GOOD LUCK!! that is what she was to be doing in between grooms. I showed her with the dryer the massive leg mats & the comb not going through since there was no skin to get too etc.... She still insisted she would work on the dog at home. I am just so sick at this point just thinking what that dog is going to go through when she try's to demat

splah
Registered Member
Username: splah

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 69.132.198.223
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did my first severely matted Shih-Tzu 2 weeks ago..poor thing only get a once a year shave down,outside dog..the lady that was training me started the shave down..and right off the bat cut a wart..she had several on here. I wished I could have taken a pic, you couldn't even tell there was a dog in there until we took the coat off...she was so happy when we were done..she started wagging her tail and moving..she was not moving at all prior to the shave down..she was in too much pain..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.