Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Lion Clip Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » OTHER CLIPS / NON STANDARD STYLES » Lion Clip « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Griffylover (bubba-rt-371.icss.net - 208.230.238.71)
Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2000 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a customer coming in next week with a pom, She wants a Lion clip. I have never done this before. Can anyone help me ?

Rev
Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2000 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are several "lion cut" styles. The one I usually do starts the body clipdown just in front of the withers and follows the shoulder line down to just below the breastbone to a kind of blunt or rounded point there. I clip short to hocks and elbows, and scissor short from there down. Then I scissor the ruff to neaten, or to as short as the owner wants. For a pom I also round the tips of the ears.. cut straight across the top at the level of the tip of the ear leather, then round slightly. Trim the tail to a neat small brush, and that's it, or you could make a lion tail but I think poms look better with brushes. Some lion cuts start behind the withers and elbows and the forelegs are blended into the ruff, more like a real lion, but this trim doesn't give all the benefits a lot of owners want, like absolute minimum brushing.

bluebonbon (pool0714.cvx6-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net - 209.178.160.204)
Posted on Sunday, May 7, 2000 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do several varitations of "Lion Clip." I prefer the style starting at the directly behing the frontlegs,leaving the chest and back of neck very full, then blending full into the legs. I use a #4f, #5f, or #7f for the shaved part of the body, blending into the legs, then scissoring down the legs to neaten. I prefer a ball tail, but always ask the customer what they prefer. Another varation is the daimond style, where a half diamond shape is going down the middle of the back to about mid of the body. The area at the top of the front legs is shaved and the chest blended into another diamond shap coming down the front. Then blend the legs and feet to blend with the body. The other varations is to just leave the head and neck bushy and shave the rest. I don't really think this is lion clip but that is what some grooomers I knew called it. Good luck.

Rev
Posted on Sunday, May 7, 2000 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That diamond one sounds really cute!

Gadget (204.50.249.131 - 204.50.249.131)
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a loyal customer with a ShihTzu who was inquiring about a "Lion Clip". She wants me to try it in the fall. She says it is a new craze in Toronto - the head is like a lions mane and the legs have poms.

It is probably a new version of an old cut but being relatively new to this profession, I am not familiar with this cut. Can anyone help?

Cdnenya (cfa1.execulink.net - 199.166.6.10)
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 9:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, my guess would be to clip the shih tzu into a Lowchen show clip, or "little lion clip" (check out this cutie in your Canadian Kennel Club Book of Dogs or similar breed reference book). I hope I have the right spelling with the Lowchen! If not, I think they are in the non-sporting group, and the spelling should be close.

Using a #10, I'd shave down the shih tzu, leaving a mane, going down the legs but leaving a pom like you would for certain poodle clips, and going down the tail, leaving a small tuft of hair left natural at the very end. The lion clip can also be used on matted lhasas and shih tzus (and other drop coated breeds) instead of doing a complete shavedown.... just demat the areas which you'd like to keep long, and shavedown the rest. However, I'd only do this clip with an owners permission, because an owner walking a dog down the street wearing this style, would recieve many a comment.

Gadget, are you familiar with the cat "lion clip"? Follow the same pattern on the shih tzu.

Donna (ip37.toronto77.dialup.canada.psi.net - 154.20.71.37)
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 9:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I am in Toronto and never heard of this clip before on a shih Tzu. Maybe she saw Lowchen I think the clip on them is called a lion trim. They have pompoms on the legs with a big mane which is left on the front half of the body and the rump is shaved and the tail is like a lion I think.

Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 9:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Come to think of it, the ODGA did a seminar on the Lowchen clip about two years ago? I am sure that someone on this board still has the sheet they handed out during the grooming demo, which would cover the grooming instructions for the same lion clip groomers are doing to shih tzus in TO.

Try emailing the ODGA for a copy of the Lowchen terrier grooming instructions, or ask someone organized (ha- that would unfortunately not be me! lol!) who attended the grooming demo but kept the handouts (I knew I should have keep my old grooming notes organized!). I hope this helps Gadget :)

gemsheppy (belleville-ppp72507.sympatico.ca - 216.208.90.14)
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been asked to do a lion clip on a pekingese! The owner was aware
that it is not an original clip for a pekingese but she had read in a book about pekingese that when the chinese created the breed centuries ago they wanted something that resembles a cross between a lion and a dragon. The owner was in a funny mood and decided to have his dog look like a lion. I did what Cdnenya just described, except no poms on the legs. I must admit when the dog was ready it looked like the statues you see in front of chinese restaurants. Not my style though, like to keep things natural.

Bluebonbon (pool0397.cvx12-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net - 209.179.227.142)
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lion clips are so cute and can be done on many dogs. I have done them on Chow Chows, Pomeranians, Pekes, and cats, too. Never did with pom poms though but I might try it soon. Fun clip but let the owners know what you plan on doing.

Yllek (204.71.65.253 - 204.71.65.253)
Posted on Wednesday, August 1, 2001 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does sound like this gal with the Shih Tzus is discribing the Lion Trim on the Lowchen. (non-sporting group)
You shave from the last rib going back into the rear end and shave the rear to the hock joint. I would use a 10 bld.. The front legs use the 10 from the elbow down to where it is even with where you stopped for at the top of hock joint. 1/2 up the tail leaving the hair very full not trimmed. The feet are shaved on a Lowchen. But the pompoms or braclets are not scissored like we would do on a Poodle. The braclet hair covers up the shaved feet. The stop of the dog one would just make an upside down V. Top of nose not shaved I would use thinning shears at the bottom of beard and go straight across. Also the hair can have a part starting on the head---down the back, or just left messy. For the Lowchen no hair is really trimmed of jacket (body) us thinning shears just below elbow to trim so you see about two inches of the shaved front legs. Hope this makes some sense and good luck.
yllek

Posted on Thursday, August 2, 2001 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sounds great, Yllek. Thanks!

coquihalla
Registered Member
Username: coquihalla

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 64.114.107.13
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was reading this old post re. lion/lowchen clip on pekes and shih tzus. Does anybody have pictures?

dogdayz
Registered Member
Username: dogdayz

Post Number: 3
Posted From: d7-17.rb.jax.centurytel.net
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lion  cuthope this helps!

dogdayz
Registered Member
Username: dogdayz

Post Number: 4
Posted From: d7-17.rb.jax.centurytel.net
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

front view lion cut...hope this helps!

pasobrio
Registered Member
Username: pasobrio

Post Number: 284
Posted From: adsl-208-190-202-123.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a lot of Lowchen come in but I don't groom any other breeds like them, just haven't had a request for it. I did however groom a shih-tzu I had years ago like a Lowchen and it was darling! Lowchens have shaved feet, you clip from behind the ribcage back on the body with a 10 or 15, you leave cuffs on front clipping from elbows down and back legs, and a poof on the tail by clipping about half of the tail. In show you don't do much shaping, or trimming over eyes ect. but for pet it would be best, sorry all I have is a show pic. BTW this little girl took best of opposite at Westminster last year and is owned by the lady I bought my shop from.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.