Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Dog ear hair removal? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » GROOMING TECHNIQUES » MISCELLANEOUS OTHER » Dog ear hair removal? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

hairdur
Registered Member
Username: hairdur

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.21.244.25
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have been hearing from a vet in a near by city that they are saying that a dog's ear hair should NOT be pulled out now. Anyone been hearing this? I do not know what the pro's of this would be however.....

scissorart
Registered Member
Username: scissorart

Post Number: 1074
Posted From: 70.234.173.239
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, but a lot of vets are still saying to pull. it depends on the vet and sometimes on the dog.

sandy
Registered Member
Username: sandy

Post Number: 2051
Posted From: 70.140.22.94
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's one of those subjects that invites difffering opinions.

The pros of pulling the hair are, obviously, that it leaves a clean and dry environment in which bacteria is less likely to grow. The ear is also easier to clean without the hair. The vets at my clinic support this theory.

The cons are- it is unnecessary, at the least, and at the worst, INVITES infestion by the possibility of irritating the ear canal by the pulling. Also in this category: painful for the dog.

The truth lies somewhere in between. Hair pulling in my opinion should be done on a case by case basis. If the hair is of the wispy thin type, and/ or the dog is very prone to moist, easily infected/very dirty ears, then of course, it needs plucking.

If the ear is full of that dense, packed- in, "live and growing" hair, is otherwise dry and healthy, then why pull it? You can shave he ear opening with good results on this type of ear, and that should be sufficient. To pull that hair is so painful for the dog and they do let us know it.

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion only and should only be used for entertainment purposes...oh wait that's for gambling right lol

I'm not saying to leave the hair until an infection starts up, no, I mean to check the ears at every groom and make the assessment then.

michelle_58
Registered Member
Username: michelle_58

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 75.176.0.152
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does hair removal gel [veet] work well for the ears or would this cause burning or a infection???

michelle_58
Registered Member

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just posted the ear removal question, could i possably get a answer by wed, before 9am??? thanks

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 5598
Posted From: 68.92.246.125
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a hot topic of discussion. I know some groomers who have used hair removal creams. Personally, I would not do it on a client dog. There is too much risk and liability using it off label. Any dog/person can have an adverse reaction to anything. I would not risk my professional reputation on that chance.

Barb

liz_streithorst
Registered Member
Username: liz_streithorst

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 12.226.39.51
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My attitude is pretty much like Sandy's. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I worked a long time for a vet who believed that all ear hair was evil, though.

As for depilitories, I have had only positive results. I use Nair only on those Schnauzers and a few other terriers that present with huge masses of soft hard and painful to pull ear hair.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 4331
Posted From: 156.34.176.167
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 5:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wouldn't use it. On myself personally I had a terrible reaction to Nair. It actually burned my skin.

foxhunter
Registered Member
Username: foxhunter

Post Number: 159
Posted From: 98.212.80.71
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I won't use them

michelle_58
Registered Member

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks everyone for all your opinions, i am a little afraid to use the removal, so i didnt, her vet prior to me grooming the dog said that there was a lot of hair and the groomer should pull it!! i wish he would of, he sure has the med and ability more then me!!! it is a snz, and he fights me all the way!! so i quit on pulling hair from his ear!!! thanks michelle

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 5600
Posted From: 68.92.246.125
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah yes, I'm sure we've all heard that. My answer is usually, "Unfortunately, Max does not like having his ears cleaned. It is a two person job and I work alone. Your Vet should be able to do it with the help of his assistants."

Barb

michelle_58
Registered Member

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks everyone for all your opinions, i am a little afraid to use the removal, so i didnt, her vet prior to me grooming the dog said that there was a lot of hair and the groomer should pull it!! i wish he would of, he sure has the med and ability more then me!!! it is a snz, and he fights me all the way!! so i quit on pulling hair from his ear!!! thanks michelle

sandy
Registered Member

Post Number: 2130
Posted From: 70.140.17.228
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My pet peeve is those schnauzers with the dense, short, packed-in white hair in their ears. It is just dang-near impossible to get out, and definitely impossible without a lot of pain for the dog.

It is one of the cons of working for a vet. While they really do not have final say of anything I do, they have made it clear on this one dog in particular that the ear hair MUST come out. To make matters MORE ridiculous, this is the sole reason this dog is sedated for grooming. I do not think this is right and have told them so. (this was first done while my former boss was grooming this dog, and she has been gone 2 yrs now)and while it does make it possible to pluck those ears, he still fights and slings his head, etc.I have never seen such tight hair in an ear. To me, that means it needs to stay in. And I haven't even mentioned what it does to my fingers. They are so fatigued after this routine that I have to save it to the end, because I can't do much else after that. Blah, I am changing this!!

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 4339
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

right and if the dog doesn't have ear infections why even do it? Such a shame. I have had people tell me the vet said to pull more and I try to put it back on the owner and the vet if the dog is difficult. But more and more vets are saying plucking is not as necessary as once believed.

wattadog
Registered Member
Username: wattadog

Post Number: 980
Posted From: 80.229.11.236
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sandy,
Showseasons has a solution that helps to minimize ear hair, basically you apply it (I think regularly but cant remember how often) & it causes the hair to grow back thinner & finer, I would definitely give it a try on this dog, Its not like Nair by the way, it actually changes the growth pattern over time. Not an instan fix but long term may be a option

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 4342
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey that is interesting wattadog. I'll use it on my husband

wattadog
Registered Member
Username: wattadog

Post Number: 983
Posted From: 80.229.11.236
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:D then they can label it "tested on Humans" LOL

topdogette
Registered Member
Username: topdogette

Post Number: 256
Posted From: 64.12.116.6
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't you just LOVE IT when the customer has just paid the vet a Gizzillion Dollars for yearly exam & then tells you vet said for you to clean the ears!! What do the vets make the big bucks for nowadays? Surely not ear cleaning, nail clipping or anal glad expression - at least not in our area.

sandy
Registered Member

Post Number: 2133
Posted From: 70.140.17.228
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha ha Doggygirl, good idea! And thank you wattadog, I will go to their website and check it out. Mr Magoo II (this dog's name and that is what the owner calls him, the whole thing)and I will both thank you again if we try it out.
Mr. Magoo I was a sweet schnauzer mix who stood like a statue for anything I ever did to him. He died, and I have to say his replacement does NOT have that temperament, nor does their OTHER new rescue schnauzer. I also am not to clip the ears at all, they want them fuzzy which is ok for Magoo, who has uncropped ears; but on Tucker, whose ears are cropped nicely, I swear the hair is going to keep growing straight up until they look like two furry party hats. The owner swears the hair will make them heavy enough to "lay down". but when exactly is this gonna happen? The dog is at least four years old, maybe older.

pasobrio
Registered Member
Username: pasobrio

Post Number: 2377
Posted From: 66.142.52.4
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OMG Sandy, you have got to take pictures of the schnauzer with the 2 party hats on his head, sounds hilarious :-) Maybe for Halloween he will let you use some hair gel and make them spiked like devil horns lol
<'\__~
<\ )\
If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say, Don't Say Anything at All. Where's the fun in that?

annie_in_ny
Username: annie_in_ny

Post Number: 2807
Posted From: 141.149.115.179
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, I take a few days 'off' and I miss my 'own' thread :-)

All the answers are right.. I worked for a vet who said EVERY ear should be plucked. He told me to use nair on certain dogs ears. One was a sch. there were about three dogs that got it. I always rinsed and rinsed.

Then a sub vet came in for a week at my Vets office. He really got mad to find out I was plucking ears, and I should NEVER do that .

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.