Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Poodle top knot help Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » POODLES/Portugese Water Dogs » Poodle top knot help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

juliafellers
Registered Member
Username: juliafellers

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 205.250.112.147
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 2.5 lb toy poodle in a continental, I am always struggling with her top knot, she is great for a couple of days after her groom but between grooms she looks like Tina Turner in concert. Any tricks on keeping the hair tidy and whisps under control? keep in mind that she is tiny.
Thanks in advance
Julia

swgroomer
Registered Member
Username: swgroomer

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 62.203.240.182
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 7:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got another tiny Poodle in a continental who comes every 6 weeks. she's got exactly that whispy hair that shows every cut.

maybe if you let the top grow a bit longer on the sides than in the middle and use 2 bands together under the bow? and when banding up use a bit of oil spray right at the base of the bands (in america you've got this fantastic oil sheen spray - "Motions", it's for people really but it's about the best there is).

diamondog
Registered Member
Username: diamondog

Post Number: 3548
Posted From: 206.183.116.129
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any suggestions but I gotta say that is the cutest little poodle! I think her 'spiked' look is adorable!

poshpooch
Registered Member
Username: poshpooch

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 71.53.199.147
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use anti static hair gel before you band it up.

royalgoldens
Registered Member
Username: royalgoldens

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 65.27.201.161
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wispy hairs are just a fact of life with a poodle with a banded topknot. Think of what happens to your own pony tail after a day or so without being redone.
If they look decent for 2 days, you are doing good.
You might have a little better luck with smaller sections. Take one section from just behind the outside corner of the eyes forward, parting across the skull, then make another section behind that. If you like the bows, then band them together with it, or just put the bow on the front one and leave the 2nd one with just the one band, as it is just there to keep the hair from flopping in their eyes.
If the hair isn't long enough on the sides or front yet for that big of a section, then make the front one as I described above, and then part it in half right up the middle between their eyes and do 2 little pig tail bands.
Here is a pic of what my standard champion looks like 3 or 4 days since brushing out and rebanding her topknot/wrapping her ears. She loves to rub her head, so her bands look a mess after hours. But when she is done up for show, it is all hairsprayed, so you don't see any of the wispy hairs.
And also here is a pic of the 2 band pigtail look for when the front of the topknot is growing out.
Otherwise I would try some styling products to cut down on the wispys and to help keep the little hairs from breaking in the first place.
She is looking cute!
Michelle

swgroomer
Registered Member
Username: swgroomer

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 62.203.244.118
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 6:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

royalgoldens @ your standard champion

I'm soooooooooo glad it's not only my boy that ends up looking like that

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.