Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Tibetan Terrier...help please Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » OTHER PUREBRED DOGS » Tibetan Terrier...help please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ange
Registered Member
Username: ange

Post Number: 198
Posted From: 203.109.249.138
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 4:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Tibetan Terrier booked for Sat. and I'm not sure how to groom this dog/breed.
The owner has told me she's cut with scissors a big matt out from behind his ears, and trimed his legs, feet, but she was unable to do his face.
So I don't know what I'm going to be presentd with re: coat conditon.
Also he has flea (due to our sandy soil...she says! LOL, I live very close to her and closer to the beach, and my dogs don't have fleas...we do have sandy soil though...whatever).

The dog has matts (aparently)...I don't know how bad.
If you guys have some tips for grooming this breed, they would be much appreciated, even photos if you have any.
I do know what these dogs look like but would love to see the finished product of some of your Tibetan Terrier grooms :-)
Pretty please???
Angie.
PS: feel free to email pics to me if you'd prefere: angiecare@hotmail.com

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 569
Posted From: 142.154.30.137
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not have any pictures. I have been grooming a Tibetan for 6 years. She comes every 6 weeks and all I can say is BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH. If it is too matted, you will likely have to shave. I do not think there is supposed to be any trimming on this breed, but I do trim up the feet and scissor the bangs, as the client asks me to. Hope this helps.

ange
Registered Member

Post Number: 199
Posted From: 165.228.130.12
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks doggygirl, The client has already cut out some matting. When I said I charge more for certain things including dogs that come in with matted coats, behavioral issues, fleas etc. she said well he's coming with all those, and he's got matting through the coat.
I mentioned possibly clipping the coat to get rid of the mats, and her respons was that she didn't want him clipped because
"the coat wont grow back at this time of year"
But she was nice enough to talk to on the phone, and I think will be receptive to whatever I suggest, espescially if she's already cut some of the matting out of the coat, I've already said to her I may need to use the clippers to just neaten up the coat length.
And she does want the face trimmed, she said she wasn't able to do that herself.
Angie.

spottydog (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 152.163.253.40
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tibetan owners may be a little bit on the strange side... I groom two tib's and the owners are both a little odd. One insists her dog will go blind if I touch his bangs. Like the old wives tale about OES going blind if you remove the hair in front of the eyes. Both of the dogs are usually in bad condition and need to be stripped down, with a 7. Even when they come in every three months, which is the soonest either owner will do. The hair is just incredible. If the dog is matted, stand up and say "I'm sorry, but your dog will have to be given a smoothie." Neither of the two I groom would stand for de-matting, both a little high strung and nervous. Neither bites, just jumpy. Sorry I can't tell you how they're "supposed" to look.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 5916
Posted From: 152.163.253.40
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a Tibbie I used to do a few years ago. He was rarely matted, and his coat was soft enough that it would have been a bit tough to demat. At any rate I used a long comb (B or C or something like that). It doesn't sound likely that you'll be able to get a breed-correct groom on this one. Perhaps you could manage a comb length. By the way, that's a black spot on his back that makes it look so uneven.
snowy

waggindogs
Registered Member
Username: waggindogs

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 24.44.224.22
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I groom a couple of Tibetans. One has the thickest, most dense coat ever. Of course, the owners want him LONG LONG with a 5f on his ears (?). However, I've shaved him a number of times because I just won't put him through the misery. Plus, wherever she brought him for his first groom, he was so freaked out that he burst blood vessels in both his eyes. He's much calmer now but I still won't do it. My other Tibetan is a big guy but with a beautiful coat. His owners do an unbelievable job of keeping up on him in between grooms. I only do him 2-3 times per year. When I do, I give him a puppy cut w/ a 0 comb.

dogshowaddict
Registered Member
Username: dogshowaddict

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 63.189.224.236
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tibetan SPANIELS are abbreviated as Tibbies. http://www.tsca.ws/

Tibetan Terriers are called TTs by breed people. http://www.ttca-online.org/

ange
Registered Member

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 2:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so far everyone, this is the pic from my grooming book: T
and I will look at the sites given (thanks so much)
I'm not looking for a breed correct groom.
But mor like the pic you gave Rev (thank-you).
I'd just like to have a couple of pics to show the owners, and also to show me what I could do.
If you don't mind, I'd realy like to print out yourpic Rev, and if anyone else has pics they don't mind sharing...I'd really appreciate it.

If I can show the owners what sort of style may be able to be achieved, I'm sure they will be more receptive to a clip.

Another cuple of questions:
What is it about them saying the coat wont grow back?
And do these dogs shed.
I'll do more research into them.
But you gals/guys are always appreciated for your helpful sharing of info. pics...ideas etc.
Thanks,
Angie.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 5923
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 7:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YOu're welcome to the pic, Angie. Hope it's helpful. I've never had a Tibetan owner willing to maintain a full coat.

It seemed to me the Tibetans I've done didn't shed a lot, not like a double coated breed anyway. As for the coat growing back.. it will grow back fine unless the dog has a thyroid problems or Cushings or other illness or condition that affects coat. If the coat is growing now it will continue to grow after clipping.

ange
Registered Member

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rev, I'm not sure why she's told me the coat wont grow back during winter.
I thought that sounded odd...but always better to check :-)
Angie

pucci_groomer
Registered Member
Username: pucci_groomer

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 82.41.200.211
Posted on Sunday, May 9, 2004 - 2:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Meet Mac, my lovely TT that comes every three weeks for his bath and blow dry (and occasionally a trim). The owner likes him in as full of a coat as possible, but his coat isn't that great. It's a tad wooly, quite curly and seems a bit dry. I condition the heck out of him, have tried hot oil treatments, had advised the owner to try some oil in his diet. He's a gorgeous thing and a lovely dog to work with. I'm thinking of changing his brushes. After I bath, I spray with Liquid Slicker and use a tephlon comb and baby slicker on him. I'm wondering if I a pin brush would help? Please help!

pucci_groomer
Registered Member

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, May 9, 2004 - 2:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this is pretty late, but here's a picture of another TT that I trim in a "puppy" trim every six weeks

dogshowaddict
Registered Member
Username: dogshowaddict

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 207.69.140.22
Posted on Sunday, May 9, 2004 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would recommend that you have the owners of both (whose grooming is just adorable, by the way, congratulations!) never dry brush their dogs. Have them always spritz some watered down conditioner onto the brush, go about 5-6 strokes, then spritz again. It's the only way we preserve the gloss and healthiness of our show yorkies.
Good luck,
Juli

pucci_groomer
Registered Member

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, May 9, 2004 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks dogshowaddict! I will definitely have my customers try this. One customer (the lady who has the black TT) now has another black TT as well. They have completely different coats from eachother. Fortunately, the owner is a very dedicated to her pets grooming and spends a lot of time and money on keeping her Mac and Dillon in good coat and hates the idea of clipping them. She has even come to my shop to watch me groom them so she could pick up tips, so I'm sure she will really appreciate this one!

dleeowen
Registered Member
Username: dleeowen

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 24.245.77.13
Posted on Sunday, May 9, 2004 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pucci.... you also asked about using the pin brush on the TT.... I would use a pin brush on a lush coated dog coat, especially a coat prone to dryness. Would go easy with any slicker on a coats like this one--use a soft slicker, if any. Also I agree with dogshowaddict--use moisture, even water, but conditioner is a better idea while brushing. Love TTs.
Lee

pucci_groomer
Registered Member

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, May 9, 2004 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I wondered if I was damaging and breaking the longer hairs with a slicker. I believe the owner is using one as well - so I bought myself a pin brush and will get her to use one as well as trying a spray conditioner. I'll let you know how we get on.

pucci_groomer
Registered Member

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 82.41.203.21
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 2:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to ask - do you have any recommendations for type of conditioner - and what sort of dilution rate would you use?

One of my customers uses liquid slicker - would that be sufficient? It's meant to condition and be used as a finishing spray as well as a detangler. I think it's a silicon spray.

Many thanks
Dana

dleeowen
Registered Member
Username: dleeowen

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 24.245.77.13
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pucci....I use Liquid Slicker primarily for dematting. (Some times use Cowboy Magic Or Stazko for same reason.) Yes Liquid Slicker has silicon. (Watch out if it gets on the floor, you will fly across the room, makes a floor very slick. :<))
For spray conditioner, I've seen several recommended on this board that are excellent. Right now I'm using up a bottle Glo Coat spray as coat conditioner. Brightens coat and conditions; not the end all/be all, but a nice, functional product. Love it on black coats especially for shine. Oh yes, can use Coat Handler in a spray bottle as well; that's a heck of a good product. (Can even use it on a cotton ball too swab out cruddy ears. Manufacturer told me that and it works. Has an anti-fungal/bacterial agent of some sort I think she said)
Lee

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.