Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Shaving a lab Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » OTHER PUREBRED DOGS » Shaving a lab « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

doggydays
Registered Member
Username: doggydays

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 216.221.81.97
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a client who has a yellow lab they always want shaved, with a 7f. I have tried to talk them out of it but they are determined that this some how cuts down on the shedding. The dog is fantastic and easy to do, but I get so many lines, it is so frustrating. They don't seem to notice or say anything, and I am hesitant to point it out. Does anyone have any similar experiences and have any suggestions. Thanks

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 1261
Posted From: 65.28.99.45
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try going against the grain. It will be shorter, but in my opinion, what's a 1/4 inch difference when they're getting buzzed anyway. A 10 or 15 should blend the shaved areas into the naturally short areas on the legs.

Barb

doggydays
Registered Member
Username: doggydays

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 216.221.81.97
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for that suggestion Barb, it scares me a bit, the only time I have gone against the grain has been in small areas. I have never done a whole dog before. But I really appreciate the advice and I will give it a try next time the dog comes in.
Another question? Would going against the grain on a coat like that be painful or uncomfortable for the dog.
thanks again

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 1264
Posted From: 65.28.99.45
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 5:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your blade is sharp and doesn't drag through and pull the coat, then no it won't hurt. Poodle faces, feet and tail are clipped against the grain all the time.
Actually, if you ever look at a blade chart. The length it says they leave is measured by going against the grain.

Barb

dotidriple
Registered Member
Username: dotidriple

Post Number: 568
Posted From: 165.121.91.63
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In other strings on this site are pictures and explanations of reverses. It's in the Photo Sharing, under Before and Afters #3. I have a Golden which I shaved with a 7FR, and Diamond dogs overwight Lab is there also, amongst others. It should give you a pretty good idea. Once you try it you won't go back. If you really HAVE to shave it may as well be as clean and sharp as possible.

bow_wows
Registered Member
Username: bow_wows

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 67.41.86.39
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 9:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a lab puppy I just clipped, and hence the lines, thought it was the blade not being oiled at first then thought I just suck, nice to know someone else had the same thing happen,please not not that I wanted it to happen to someone else,at least now I don't feel inept things like that can be very discouraging to a newbie, also great to hear going against grain will help with that. thanks so much

dsrpaws
Registered Member
Username: dsrpaws

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 69.34.104.19
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have labs and I cant imagine clipping one let alone a puppy!!! They have just beautiful coats. I wont do it if people ask me. Because I know they are just doing it cause of excessive shedding. Thats when its the perfect opportunity to educate the owner on the proper brush and tell them about carding. Ive had several people thank me for taking the time to teach them what tools to use and how to properly take care of their lab. To me that means more than just shaving it down and taking their money. They respect that. IMO it can damage the coat and it certainly doesnt make them any cooler.They need that coat to protect them. Same goes with someone who asks about shaving a huskey. But thats another topic!

pawfurmance
Registered Member
Username: pawfurmance

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 64.228.153.245
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does make a major difference, i got to dog sit one and he was horrible. They wanted him shaved before picking up so i did him a few days prior to leaving. It made a huge difference. I do quite a few. I do a 7F backwards, bathe, and then go over with a 9 with the grain after the bath. I get no lines, they come out nice and smooth and the people come back to have it done again, they all say it works and it worked for the one i had here!

groomerbeth
Registered Member
Username: groomerbeth

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 24.238.58.109
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Calm down Dsrpaws! Dont get your panties in a wad! LOL

dotidriple
Registered Member
Username: dotidriple

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 141.151.3.219
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 2:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had my dear old Ducky for over 15 years. And I shaved her all summer long. No damage was done and YES it DID decrease the shedding so much as to make it seem uneventful. Maybe she did or didn't feel cooler, but she did feel better. She always behaved younger and more energetic after a shave. By the way, I started shaving her not because of the shedding, but because I couldn't keep her out of the kids pool, and she prefered being in the house. And as I wasn't able to get her completely dried EVERY time she decided to take a dip, that became preferential to making her stay out of doors until she did dry. When she was shaved, she could be towel dried and in half an hour she could come in.
Don't be too hard on folks who shave their dogs down, at least they're not just getting rid of them because they can't stand the hair.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 1279
Posted From: 142.154.31.20
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 6:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Sib and I feel the same way about shaving them. Border Terriers too! But each to their own. I have shaved some labs, I wouldn't now because I don't do large breeds.

babyblues
Registered Member
Username: babyblues

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 24.203.168.62
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 6:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do shave a lot of Lab, I do them with a 10 WHAL. This blade go through ANY coat with a smooth finish. Of course if you play tic-tac-toe on his back with the clipper it will show, but if you pay attention to go with the grain, it makes a wonderful job.

shave lab
shave lab-2
shave lab-3

vroomvroom
Registered Member
Username: vroomvroom

Post Number: 632
Posted From: 24.92.157.242
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 6:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to shave my lab and my pug back before flea and tick products became so effective. My pug was a flea magnet and her fleas got transferred to my lab. Since the only way to keep them flea free was to wash them once a week, I kept em both shaved so they would wash and dry faster. Only problem I ever had was getting my lab to sit still long enough to finish.

jengroomer
Registered Member
Username: jengroomer

Post Number: 295
Posted From: 65.32.27.32
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I shaved a lab the other day. I had such trouble getting it smooth. Now someone else would say, "what lines?" but to me it wasn't smooth enough. Maybe I need to get over that! lol

dsrpaws
Registered Member
Username: dsrpaws

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 69.34.104.19
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Groomerbeth, MY panties?!!!!How were those grapes anyway?!! LMAO Sorry guys inside joke!! Sorry babyblues but I cant see doing that to a yellow lab.The choc doesnt look bad though.

petagree
Registered Member
Username: petagree

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 64.12.97.8
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been doing a black lab for about 2 years now for a doctors wife. She has white carpet and white furniture. She says if she lets him grow out it just covers everything in the house. She went to 2 other shops that flat refused to shave him. I told her I would try and see how he acted and how short I could get him so he not only looked good but no skin problems. I do a reverse 7f on him and it is as smooth as glass. And he is a big angel.

hairyhound
Registered Member
Username: hairyhound

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 67.167.140.209
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wouldn't dream of shaving my choc lab, but i have to say he doesn't shed like a many that i see. I shave quite a few and I'm not fond of doing it, but if it means the dog is in the house more getting loved up that's good enough in my book. I have one that pants heavily and is really hard to get smooth.

Betty gr8k9s (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 216.212.224.47
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm actually considering buzzing down my own black Lab. He's begun hassling pretty bad and there's only nights I can spend with the a/c set at arctic blast to keep him cool and comfy, so I'm considering buzzing him. If it doesn't help, I don't reckon it could hurt. Ya, I know, I should do better about carding and maintaining his coat, but he doesn't stand well for very long (had hip surgery a while back and seems uncomfortable still at times) and it kind of hurts my back to spend that much time leaning over him lying down. Excuses, I know (not to mention the Standard Poodles I have to maintain, the Toy, the Schnauzer, three Lhasas, lions and tigers and bears, oh my!) I think when I get a minute, I'm gonna strip him nekkid. For some reason, I can knock out a strip lickety split, but getting him washed, carded, carded and carded takes me forever. I'm sure he projectile sheds. If I find less fuzz monsters in my house, it's gravy and he may be nekkid from now on. *blush*

pawfurmance
Registered Member
Username: pawfurmance

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 64.228.148.37
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL! That is too funny! I have my poodle girl in bedlington terrier clip! I admit am just plain lazy...and after grooming everyone else's dogs...i dont feel like spending hours on mine. I do my show poms once a week and then i have a standard poodle ready for the ring that takes me 8 hours...anything else i can save time on....heck yeah baby! LOL I have 10 dogs, and i like them all clean as they live in my home...the less shedding the better too!

lolita
Registered Member
Username: lolita

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 68.45.212.46
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 5:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope this helps someone- I use the Stewart by Oster on labs and it comes out smooth and is FAST! I can prep a lab in about 10-15 min. It took a few shaves to get used to the weight and angle of the clipper but now I love it.

hairyhound
Registered Member

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm "Projectile shedding". I think I'll adopt that phrase.Speaking of std poodles, mine looks like a Rasta Poodle. Been soooo busy with paying clients that mine is sorely neglected. I only opened shop full time last June and am grooming up to my gils. I just hired a teenage boy to walk my dogs every day after school.By the time I'm usually done for the day it's cold and dark outside and I can't seem to motivate my hungry, hairy, wet self to exersize my dogs. Is that sad or what?

hairyhound
Registered Member

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't find any oster clippers called the Stewart. Where should I look?

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 8035
Posted From: 205.188.209.134
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try looking in equine/farm catalogs.. KVVet, Jeffers, etc. Look for Stewart Clipmaster. Or do a Google on it; that might work.

heinz57
Registered Member
Username: heinz57

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 64.251.147.143
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess what? I use the Stewart by Oster clippers. I got mine from an MFA store. That's our farm supply/feed stores here in Missouri.

They are actually called Horse, Cattle, Dog Clippers. They are not Sheep Shears. They weigh about 3lbs. They do get heavy after awhile.

If you order the "big blade" the short cutting one cuts really short. I would say like a #15 maybe. They have one that leaves about a 1/4" coarse clip. It is a "toothy blade".

I use mine for shave down on farm dogs, large dogs that are matted. I explain to the owner they will cut short!

These clippers are work horses, they do heat up. You are going to think I'm nuts, but, I cool mine by dipping the blade in a mild shampoo and water mixture while the clipper is running. I know, I sound like I am trying to get fried. I told my husband he was nuts when he told me to do it. I didn't get fried. Some one told him that is how they cooled theirs. The dir rolls out.

Never, never try it on the any other pair. Don't try it on my saying I do. I just know I have had these clippers for several years. That's how I clean and cool while using them.

toxon
Registered Member
Username: toxon

Post Number: 315
Posted From: 66.130.145.57
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 6:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a big one(esculap) for
shave down golden ,lab, collie ect.. it give a look of a 7F.For those dogs who they are really matt i change the blade and it give a 8 finish.The advantage is that it take a couple of minute before the bath to shave down.The finish is so perfect because it is so powerfull.Wet shave do good too because the blade does not get hot .This one cost 800$ canadian.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 8050
Posted From: 152.163.253.98
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Aesculap are expensive clippers and the blades are also expensive, but I always wanted one; they have a longstanding reputation.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.