Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Schnauzer beard Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » TERRIERS (Except drop-coated) AND SCHNAUZERS » Schnauzer beard « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

fannemoran (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 64.252.185.250
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a little confused. I was taught at school to start the beard of a schnauzer at the back corner of the eye. I've been seeing some that start at the front corner. Which is correct?????}

msspider
Registered Member
Username: msspider

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatever the client wants is correct. Some schnauzers I do have eye goobers deluxe and they just keep cleaner clipping all that out. Actually the back corner of the eye is correct.

But anymore I never say tell clients this the 'normal' way I do schnauzers it makes them sound odd if they want something different. I say this is my basic schnauzer clip....then we can go from there to personalize it.

yorkees
Registered Member
Username: yorkees

Post Number: 1457
Posted From: 68.111.128.151
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is correct to start the eyebrows and beard at the back corner of the eye.

mags
Registered Member
Username: mags

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 64.238.157.113
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 8:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm guilty of clipping out eye boogers in front of the inside corners, and I'll also use a 10 or 15 to clean between the brows and along the stop whatever hair is growing straight back (once it drapes to the side I leave it). I do NOT clip the hair across the bottom of the eye... rather, i'll take a 7f and go in reverse from the cowlick under the ear to the outside corner of the eye to about the corner of the mouth, to the big whisker thingy under the chin. Then I blend all that in with thinning shears. I'll take my curved shears, invert them, and trim up the underside of the beard, but I don't normally cut any length off except to even it up.

My question is wrt the actual brows. For years I've been getting by on whatever it is that I do, but I'm never happy with my schnauzer brows. Got any tips for me Yorkees?

yorkees
Registered Member

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yep...I have one tip...check out the post under
Breed styles"..then under terriers..then the one that says "Quick schnauzer head"....I drew a little diagram with a foolproof way to do the eyebrows and beards....hope it helps!

Betty gr8k9s (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 64.39.144.247
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's the same diagram I'm thinking of (too lazy to go looking *blush*), I've been using this for, oh, about the past year or so. Yorkees, it is brilliant and I'm so much happier with my Schnauzer heads. I also like the fact that it takes only a few minutes. You rock!

mags
Registered Member
Username: mags

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 64.238.157.113
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh... can't wait to try this out! What always got me was shaping the angle from the outer corner of the eye towards the nose... looks like your way is a LOT easier. Also, I always clipped the top of the head like a V between the brows (make sense? from ear to opposite eye) rather than straight across... gonna try that too! Thanks!

yorkees
Registered Member

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad it helps!

lindaj (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 141.158.92.125
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 4:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was taugh to fine the black hair wisker and shave from that point for a proper beard.
Happy Grooming!!!!

coquihalla
Registered Member
Username: coquihalla

Post Number: 193
Posted From: 64.114.107.52
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the very good sch. pic!

stonespringer
Registered Member
Username: stonespringer

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 24.247.61.167
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The line should be from the corner of the eye to the nodule(hard whisker) on the side of the face. You then blend in with thinning shears the corner of the eye, this is a head shot of one of the dogs I handle

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 1542
Posted From: 67.121.239.134
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now THAT is a Schnauzer head! Thanks!

stonespringer
Registered Member

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anytime Dot:-)

kitty
Username: kitty

Post Number: 1213
Posted From: 205.188.117.11
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stonespringer....does everybody showing leave the beard as long as possible? On my pets I usually trim it to almost half the length this dog has. Do show people ever trim the length?

particentral
Username: particentral

Post Number: 2538
Posted From: 152.163.101.11
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 8:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The girl working for me does the heads like the first picture, back about a half inch behind the eye. It drives me CRAZY and I cannot get her to understand the connect the dots theory.....any suggestion? Will, as usual, nice work.

coquihalla
Registered Member
Username: coquihalla

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 64.114.107.43
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 9:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Omg, stonespringer, he is beeeautiful!

stonespringer
Registered Member

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The beard hair stops growing when it reaches a certain length. On dogs that I own and handle I do not trim their beard length at all, the most I will do is even it out if needed. My show clients and personal dogs have full beards and I never have problems with them. Client dogs I will trim if requested.

stonespringer
Registered Member

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Parti, Notes From The Grooming Table has a great schnauzer head study with easy to follow illustrations, that can take your girl step by step through it

particentral
Username: particentral

Post Number: 2539
Posted From: 64.12.117.11
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think her problem is she was taught incorrectly, and has worked for three years doing it "wrong" with no one ever correcting her, and as a result it is impossible to get her to understand that its not right. I mean, it was good enough for PS and The other shop she worked in, so what is wrong with it?

I have even done this step by step instruction myself to no avail!

Thanks Will, I appreciate ANY help you can offer. I may have to have her buy that book (I do not own a copy for reasons I will not get into) but if it MIGHT help her I will see if I can get her to spring for it. She also does all cocker heads smooth or with this HUGE poodley thing on top......we are working on it, and I end up finishing a lot of her dogs.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.