Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Jack Russell Terrier--Wire-haired Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » TERRIERS (Except drop-coated) AND SCHNAUZERS » Jack Russell Terrier--Wire-haired « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Elizabeth ( - 216.1.194.217)
Posted on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone give me the show and pet way of doing these dogs?

topdogette ( - 205.188.198.167)
Posted on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do three JR that are shown in JR competition...the owner wants them as devoid of hair as I can get..since she usually does not "remember" that they need grooming until 3-4 days before a show, I cheat a little by using a 7F blade on the body,legs & tail & hand strip the long hair on the face. I also do many (popular little buggers in the south)JRT with "broken coats" on pets & I use a 7F on them also with great results..on the pets I use thinning shears on the head to neaten them up. Hope this helps.

Bethm
Posted on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should look for someone in your area that breeds and shows JRT. Wirehaireds should be hand stripped not clipped. Clipping will soften the texture of the coat. You can look back on some of these boards for postings on handstripping. I show border terriers which are similar. From eyes and cheeks back everything is stripped or rolled depending on the age of the coat. Leave whiskers and some eyebrows. I do not strip in sensative areas like genitals and belly I use thinning shears or clippers. The dog should have a nice smooth look (of course coat should feel coarse). Pets should be done the same way but you don't have to strip as often and you don't have to be as detailed.

Rene'
Posted on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a litely broken coated JRT and I use the #7f on him. From the neck, down his back, tail, legs. His face I use a #15, like a poodle, but not against the grain. On his chest I take the #7f against the grain, as well as from his feet up to his shoulder and blend and up not quite to his hip and blend. I have tried many variations, but this has worked the best. He has spots so if I go to close he looks like a dalmation. (Spots are on his skin only) He is a show quality dog, but I kept him as a pet. In the beginning I was carding his coat to look smoothe. But his coarse little hairs really can poke when he is sitting on me so I prefer him shaved. I also like his look as a smoothe since he doesn't have alot of broken to him. :) If you do need to groom a dog who is in conformation it might be fun to go to a show and see how they are groomed and possibly talk to a JRT owner and ask what they do. Fun Grooming!!! Rene'

Thistle ( - 208.250.183.197)
Posted on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 9:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I own a broken-coated JRT. The only trimming I do on him is what I call the "exit areas" (around the anus and those pesky hairs that hang off his penis). I just love the way he looks naturally...his body and legs mostly smooth, but he has a flag on the underside of his tail, a short bushy beard, small inner ear tufts and a patch of long hair starting at the base of his skull, draping down his neck and flaring out wildly at the natural cowlick lines. I also think that as he ages he will inherit his mothers' mohawk...a tuft of hair at the back of his head, between his ears. His moms' is about4-5" long and he is the only pup out of any of her litters (3...she is now spayed) who has shown any sign of carrying on the trait.
No...it's not show quality, but you asked for both show and pet. For my pet JRT, I wouldn't dare take a pair of clippers to him!

Elizabeth ( - 216.1.194.190)
Posted on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rene:

customer wants to keep those "poking" hairs from out of her furniture--I did a customers' borker terrier with a #3 comb attachment which was able to skim off the hard hairs. Do you think that will help the situation

petgroom ( - 24.64.223.5)
Posted on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do a broken coated JRT that the customer wants with a #7F back in terrier lines. not the way I would want him to look if he were my dog, but the customer is always right!!

Thistle ( - 63.23.20.102)
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I kept repeating that mantra yesterday as I put a schnauzer trim (with scottie ears and a lakeland fall) on a west highland white terrier....the customer is always right...the customer is always right(*groan*)...the customer is......

petgroom ( - 24.64.223.5)
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't you sometimes wish we could send out these dogs with a sign that reads " My groomer knows better but momma wants me this way"!! :)

Stacie (spider-wj031.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.198.31)
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A rough coated JRT should be handstripped if you want to groom it properly especially if it being shown.

Tiffany
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NEVER clip a JRT FUR. It wrecks the under coat!!!
I own a smooth haired, and will be doing all 3 coat types ( smooth, rough, broken) in the summer.
You should stip it,not cut.
When you grooming, the dog should also have course fur, and look like a hunter.

k9krew (s22.hai2.hialoha.net - 206.127.238.152)
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 3:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tiffany, hon....some people do not like their pets hand stripped - thus they would much prefer to have their dog clipped (obviously not show dogs)

Rene' W.
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To all: I used to believe that shaving a coarse coat would make it come back soft. This is not always the case. Especially if you card them after you shave. My dog has kept his coarse coat through all the shaving. So, there is something to old tales, but please also take into consideration that someone elses "newer" experience might also have validity. Also, shaving him does not stop the hairs from ending up all over the couch or the car seats! :(
I am letting him grow again just to see what he will look like, maybe different then when he was a year old. Another thing to take into consideration is the dogs skin, and allergies. There is a possiblilty that my dog is irritated by his hair. I will let you know later, when it has grown out. ( It might just be the grow out stage,who knows!) I do not believe that there is only one way to do ANYTHING! I am always learning that OTHER way, and hey, some times it is better!
IMHO, Thanks for being open minded!

Stacie (spider-wn034.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.197.164)
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a rough coated jack i have shaved her, hand stripped her and have used a snap on comb on her. She is 8 years old and her coat texture is perfect! If you blade a terrier its best not to use a short blade a 4 or 5 blade will suffice. If a client wants to keep a natural looking terrier but does not want it hand stripped i would use a snap on or a long blade. If they don't care about texture and just want the dog short all the time then i guess you have to do what the owner wants or send them elsewhere.

Stacie (spider-wn034.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.197.164)
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a rough coated jack i have shaved her, hand stripped her and have used a snap on comb on her. She is 8 years old and her coat texture is perfect! If you blade a terrier its best not to use a short blade a 4 or 5 blade will suffice. If a client wants to keep a natural looking terrier but does not want it hand stripped i would use a snap on or a long blade. If they don't care about texture and just want the dog short all the time then i guess you have to do what the owner wants or send them elsewhere.

Scizzor_hands (spc-isp-lon-uas-07-22.sprint.ca - 209.103.61.73)
Posted on Friday, December 24, 1999 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I groomed a rough coated JR about 2 weeks ago. I did demos for the customer starting with a #3 blade, then I went to a 4, then I went to a 5 then I went to a 7F. The customer said that he wanted me to use that blade. I 10 bladed the ears and lightly skimmed the face blending with thinning shears, when the dog left he looked just like a smooth jack! Which is what the customer wanted. I actually liked the look of a 7F, it came out very smooth. Of course I agree with everyone else about handstripping for show dogs, but that goes for almost all terriers.

Thedotteddog (208-25-61-229.stk.inreach.net - 208.25.61.229)
Posted on Monday, January 1, 2001 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I groomed a jack the other day whos owner used to show in conformation , she wanted him clipped with a 10 all over with just a little brows and whiskers. The dog looked cute but not like a rough jack. I know, hand strip, but if the owner wants it done that way , just do it . My motto has been from the beginning," Dogs groomed to your satisfaction, not mine".

Rene (spider-mtc-tb012.proxy.aol.com - 64.12.104.22)
Posted on Monday, January 1, 2001 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up another way to shave my Jack that worked great, I think I actually like it better than the #7f! I have a clipper vac so keep that in mind, I used a 3 3/4 against the grain and it didn't leave any lines! :)

Thedotteddog (208-25-57-36.stk.inreach.net - 208.25.57.36)
Posted on Monday, January 1, 2001 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive used a 3 3/4 to clip a rough jack. I don't have a clipper vac but I used it against the growth and it worked fine. I just made sure the dog was clean and brushed it all backwards on the back and clipped away. It looked great and was not too short.

Particentral (spider-wg042.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.196.37)
Posted on Tuesday, January 2, 2001 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh OHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The newbie is a monster already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ROFLMAO!!!

Dragonbrn (spider-wl073.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.199.53)
Posted on Tuesday, January 2, 2001 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too Cute! Welcome to the board, Dotteddog! Happy New Year!

Thedotteddog (208-25-62-198.stk.inreach.net - 208.25.62.198)
Posted on Tuesday, January 2, 2001 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys, nice to have another groomer to talk to,I haven't ever been able to do this. You don't know how much I appreciate the chance. I'll try not to be too much of a pest about the cute stuff, but this like a new toy to me. I guess it will wear off eventuallY.

Sue (162.39.37.177)
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I got my boy several years ago he had been stripped with a #10 3 weeks before because he got into road tar. Well, to make a long story short we took 6th in Working Terrier at the JRTCA National trial. If these guys have a true hard coat you can do almost anything to them and not change the texture. He has a broken coat that is sooooo hard you just can't hurt it. My rough coated female is another story. I clipped her once and it took a whole year to get her coat back into shape. Oh BTW show JRT's never have eyebrows.

Poof (204.60.229.28)
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My parents have a JRT that showed up one day and clung to my father. He has the cutest eyebrows... But he hates to be groomed. He will growl at me all the time thinking I am going to groom him.... he goes grrrrrrr. I hug him and tell him your safe now no grooing... He still goes grrrrrrr...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.