Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Puppy cut on Schnauzer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » TERRIERS (Except drop-coated) AND SCHNAUZERS » Puppy cut on Schnauzer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

justine
Registered Member
Username: justine

Post Number: 463
Posted From: 68.232.219.243
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a client with a 10 week old Schnauzer. She wants a "puppy cut". Those are the 2 most dreaded words in my grooming vocabulary. So what would a puppy cut on a schnauzer be? Set the pattern, get them used to the grooming and not much more? Or just the same length all over?

loves
Registered Member
Username: loves

Post Number: 955
Posted From: 63.173.137.99
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

justine, to me a puppy cut on a schnauzer would simply be the best I could do on a regular schnauzer cut while working on a puppy. That is one breed that I don't think of when thinking of the usual puppy type cut. To some people a puppy cut is simply trimming feet, face and nails.

justine
Registered Member

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 6:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks loves. I know I just need to clarify what she wants but then the owners always think we don't know what we are doing. Wouldn't that be a great book if someone came up with the "Puppy cut" book. Puppy cuts by breed. That would put an end to the puppy cut controversy once and for all.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 8590
Posted From: 205.188.117.18
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ummm, no, it would just start a new controversy--with lots of flak about the author's definitions of "puppy cut". :-) In the Chi burb area where I started a PC was any clipped length desired on the body, longer on legs, and with a skirt, round or "mutt" face. Other places, other groomers, other schools, different definitions.

I just explain to the customer that "PC" has no standard, but means something different--from shaved naked to a scissored pattern--to various shops/areas/groomers, so I'll need to know what it means specifically to HER.

It might be that the owner of this schnauzer just doesn't want the tailored look of a schnauzer trim, but would prefer an all-over longer cut and even maybe a short and fuzzy face.

thistle
Registered Member
Username: thistle

Post Number: 1330
Posted From: 24.143.137.91
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 7:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just did a "puppy cut" on a schnauzer last week. I set the head with a #7f, then used a #3 3/4 on the body and legs with no discernable pattern. The owner was thrilled!

gazoo (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 209.29.93.52
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do two puppy cuts on Schnauzers. I use a 3/3/4 blade all over even the face. The other I use a #4 blade all over. The owners do not want the beard or eyerows. They want same length all over. Just ask the owner what they think a puppy cut is. My cutomers usually say trim him to look like when he born. So one length all over it appears to be.

justine
Registered Member

Post Number: 472
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update. Puppy came in. Oh was he sweet. 10 weeks old. I didn't put the pattern in him because I didn't think it would look correct on such an immature coat. He was awfully frightened of the clippers so I just did the basics. Bath, brush ears, nails, pads, belly and cleaned up the eye area. He *really* didn't have much fur to begin with. I used it as a "lets get him used to being handled" session and explained this to the owner. Where I used to work we had a schnauzer who would almost seizure when clippers came near his head, had to scissor the whole head, and I wasn't about to freak this little guy out. The female owner was very happy with what I did. The male owner said "What hair did you cut?". I didn't charge them full price and I told them to bring him back in a month for a pattern.

loves
Registered Member
Username: loves

Post Number: 965
Posted From: 63.173.137.99
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You did good, Justine.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.