Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Drying the Poodle Coat & what to use Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » POODLES/Portugese Water Dogs » Drying the Poodle Coat & what to use « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

knightrider
Registered Member
Username: knightrider

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 161.107.18.136
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you point me in the right direction for how to properly dry a poodle's coat? I'm wanting to start bathing my dogs at home instead of taking them to the groomers all the time...but my old metro dryer doesnt' cut it...

I've seen all kinds of info on the hv dryers and force dryers, but would like to know the technique for drying and then what dryer to use at home..thanks!

I don't have a ton of money to spend on the romani dryers but would like to find something economical yet good...

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 8117
Posted From: 68.92.141.184
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the GL.

If you have toys or minis you can probably get by with the metro for awhile.

To get a good finish, they first need to be properly bathed. Rinsing is so very important. Rinse until the water is clear enough to drink, then rinse one more time.

I like to let the dogs drip dry a bit on towels to remove some of the moisture. As long as they are still damp, you won't ruin your finished look.

For drying, it's easy to leave some dampness at the skin level, which then wicks out to the rest of the coat ruining the nice straight finish.

I always start on the right rear leg, at the bottom and work my way up and around. Keep your dryer hose close to the skin and really look at the hairs. You'll see them change color, separate, and straighten as they dry. I work an area to dry, and then move to another.

You do need to watch the while you're drying one spot, you don't have air blowing to another and drying it curly -- working on the outside of the right rear leg and inadvertently drying the inside of the left. Keeping the dryer close to the dog will help eliminate some of that from happening. Or you can dry that inside of the leg first, so that it's not effected when you do the outside of the other.

If you have someway to hold the hose, a table clamp or someone to help, you can brush as you dry to quicken the straightening and drying.

Barb

amysuz
Registered Member
Username: amysuz

Post Number: 668
Posted From: 204.107.53.153
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have toys or minis then the Kim Laube Magnum Force dryer is also very nice, and only costs about $200.

There's several older threads on this board about fluff-drying techniques that will give you a lot of information.

knightrider
Registered Member

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 2 standards...am going to try the metro this weekend, but am wondering how it will do...its been a long time since i've used it.

groomnpoodles
Registered Member
Username: groomnpoodles

Post Number: 2001
Posted From: 99.155.24.166
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A metro takes forever to dry a standard poodle. I speak from experience. When I started using a K9II, I couldn't BELIEVE how much better (straighter) the coats were and how much faster they dried. You can sometimes find a GOOD K9II on Craigslist for alot less than a new one.
~Meg
The Paw Spaw
www.thepawspaw.com
"For every Goliath, there IS a stone!"

misssofi
Registered Member
Username: misssofi

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 99.255.106.27
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for Posting this knightrider, I'm also curious as to what HV dryer would be best for a Standard, that is rather inexpensive.

groomnpoodles
Registered Member

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OH, and Barb's explanation for drying the coat is spot-on. If the coat is really heavy/thick, you might want to use a spray-on like Chris Christensens' Ice on Ice or something similar to help lessen the damage to the hair shaft when brushing.
~Meg
The Paw Spaw
www.thepawspaw.com

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 8120
Posted From: 68.92.141.184
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Meg

I tend to have a hard time telling how to do something. After 25 years it just comes automatic and I don't have to think about the steps much about it anymore. :-)

You could still get by with a Metro. There was a time when Standard owners/groomers only had stand dryers. *g*

It will take longer, but you can get the same results. You may need to brush a bit more to straighten the coat with the metro than with a super powerful HV.

You may find though that just with the tips above, you will get results that are good enough for an in between bath, even if they aren't perfection for finish grooming.

Barb

wizardofpaws
Registered Member
Username: wizardofpaws

Post Number: 2621
Posted From: 209.86.226.54
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 9:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thing is you have to choose what is most important to you: Price or Performance? With dryers as with anything you get what you pay for. IME all the cheap ones are just that--cheap. You will get WAY less power and less reliability in an inexpensive dryer. Don't plan to spend any less than $200 for a dryer. And the $200 is on the cheap end. A new groomer in my area had bought the blue Pet Edge brand HV dryer. It has variable speed and I was impressed it did have a bit of power. I can't speak to it's durability or reliability but for home use I think it would last quite a long time. I think it is around the $200 mark. Check here often in the swap n shop and you can find used high-end dryers for a deal. And as someone else suggested look on Craig's List. Don't rule out a used dryer if you are looking for economy.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be there sitting beside you saying "Man, that was fun!"

tinyzmomz
Registered Member
Username: tinyzmomz

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 71.208.34.184
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dont know if this matters, but size doesnt always mean a difference :-)

I have (well its at work so its not mine) a smallish/med size white box like dryer, i dont remember the brand of it (i think it might be a romani), but when i saw it i was like "that small thing to dry a newfy???!?"
and it proved me wrong! that thing is pretty powerful!
And as some have suggested try CL. I got my K911, in really good Condition, at a yard sale once for only $70. and ive had it for about 2yrs now and its still working.

Also i think it kinda depends on what kind of coats the standards are in: super short, long, knotted, etc.
If they are kept in a fairly short cut all over, then it wont take long to dry them, vs if they have a good amount of coat, then it might take a bit longer.

knightrider
Registered Member

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 7:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Barb...that explanation is helpful...I would love to find a good quality high end dryer! Just nothing on craigslist right now...is there a way to search the entire US for one? Or do you have to search just by the cities?

At any rate, thanks for the suggestions...I may have to just use the metro for now until I can find one...

One groomer a long time ago mentioned to me that she used a Rigid shop vac...I wonder how long that would take to dry a standard? I would imagine it only would have cold air blowing and have no idea of the force...she groomed many dogs and it was her primary dryer I think...she paid only like $99 for it...

It just doesn't seem like that would be a viable option though...

groomnpoodles
Registered Member

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a K9II on the Denver Craigslist... I was just searching for one for a friend. The only thing is, I'd want to see it before I bought it. To make sure both motors work, there's no holes in the hose, no odd motor noises, etc.
I'm the same way Barb. Besides, I always explain with example better than with words. LOL
~Meg
The Paw Spaw
www.thepawspaw.com

3dogs
Registered Member
Username: 3dogs

Post Number: 817
Posted From: 71.53.104.65
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The post on the Blue Pet Edge HV reminded me of the breeder I got my Flemish Giant (rabbit) from. He also breeds Angora's & Lilac's too. He uses his Pet Edge HV on his rabbits & said it was the best out there- the variable speed was great & he showed me & I was actually surprised at how much force the higher dial was. At rabbit shows everyone wants to borrow his PE HV for their rabbits. I guess now the rabbit shows will have lots of PE HV since it has gotten rave reviews from the rabbit people.

Just in case anyone was wondering NO it is not for drying the coat but to separate the coat to maintain that long Angora fur until they scissor them down. Now that is a job.

If anyone wants Angora fur he throws most of his away since he couldn't find anyone ever interested in it. How sad is that.

Sorry I got a bit off topic

knightrider
Registered Member

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 161.107.1.137
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Out of curiosity, I went to the Denver craigslist and couldnt find the K9II...but probably a good thing as I could be buying a lemon...

groomnpoodles
Registered Member

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/2039725416.html

I'm pretty sure I know who is selling this equipment, and last I saw of it, it was in good condition.
~Meg
The Paw Spaw
www.thepawspaw.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.