Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Toy Poodle poms on legs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » POODLES/Portugese Water Dogs » Toy Poodle poms on legs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

eli
Registered Member
Username: eli

Post Number: 191
Posted From: cache-dtc-af06.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Sunday, June 5, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I could really use some help on this.
I want to learn to do the poms on the legs from scratch. None of my clients Poodles get poms so I have no experience with this. Plus I am still rather slow and would like to learn to do this efficently.
I don't have good clear pictures showing where to start and stop.
Can anyone help?

Thanks
eli

topdogette
Registered Member
Username: topdogette

Post Number: 75
Posted From: cache-mtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

practic on some of your strips (we all have those!) In fact I have two that they looked so cute in the poms that 3 years later they both come in every 6 weeks for a 7F a/o with Poms. Each dog is different on how much you can leave with leg length & body length being the 2 more important factors. Just remember when shaving down to pom top - YOU CAN'T PUT IT BACK ON.

tngroomer
Username: tngroomer

Post Number: 645
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eli...
Poms can be tricky, but once mastered are a lot of fun!
The way you figure out where to place them is by looking at the hock (bend of rear leg.) The pom begins just a bit over this joint. You set the poms on the rear legs first, then balance the front poms to match the rear, by looking at the dog in profile.
Make sure you shave the feet properly, just to where the foot bends when the dog is standing, and not like "flood pants." As you clipper the body coat towards the pom, hold all the hair you will use for your pom by wrapping your hand around the area, so you don't accidently cut any off.
Comb all the hair DOWN, and scissor a nice "cuff" with curved scissors, around the bottom of the pom. Now brush all the hair UP, and trim around the top, removing coat that is above your clipped line. Next, use your comb to fluff the coat out in the position it should stand, and using curved scissors shape nice oval poms. Be sure you have done your prep work well, shampooing and fluffing the coat so it is beautifully straightened and fluffy.
Does this help at all?

Daryl
Daryl Conner, MPS, Meritus
Rockport, Maine

eli
Registered Member
Username: eli

Post Number: 194
Posted From: cache-mtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!
I like the idea of doing the rear legs first. That helps a lot! Thanks!

Does anyone have pics to share of pet dogs with poms?
My books have perfect drawings or real dogs with le perfecto legs and hair.

One more please- Are they currently more oval than round? Tails too? None of the guys I groom have nice tail hair.
Thanks and Thanks again!!
eli

tngroomer
Username: tngroomer

Post Number: 647
Posted on Monday, June 6, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eli... yes, more oval than round.
On tails.... put the dogs tail DOWN, and place a comb against the lower edge of the dogs rectum. THAT is where you clip the band of the tail to. It will seem like a very small band, but it is correct!! I do have a photo I can share with you. Send your email addy to yankeegroomer@aol.com and I'll send it on.

Daryl
Daryl Conner, MPS, Meritus
Rockport, Maine

AW (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: adsl-68-250-115-251.dsl.toldoh.ameritech.net
Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2005 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daryl,
I seem to have a hard time with tails, mainly figuring out how much to shave off what do you do if a dog has a really short or really long tail. I have had not many but a couple poodles with a short tail that only covers the rectum, I had one yesterday that was matted so I just did a all over shave but the tail hardly went past the rectum at all also I have had poodles with really long tails. Should I still do it the same way. We have 2 standards that come in and should be due in the next few weeks that i will try it on.

The place I currently am working at, the owner shaves the tail with the same blade as the body and it looks rediculous. I didn't know so I did mine normal and she didn't like it :-). She was like "well too me using that blade (she thought I used a 10 but really I used I think a 30 or 40 on my moser reverse) is like skin" uuuuhhhh yeah. So she says I use the same as the body blade so i am going to try to get the guy to let me use a shorter blade who knows maybe he liked it but I do think I shaved too far down and so did she if you are going by what you said too do but the tails are really long or maybe they just seem long too me, do you have any pics? I would love to see some.

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.