Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Shih tzu grooming question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » DROP-COATED BREEDS » Shih tzu grooming question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jean (spider-tp031.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.204.186)
Posted on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a client with a 4-5 month old shih tzu.

The client doesn't want me to scoop his eyes, yet she can't stand not being able to see his eyes. Is there anything I can do or does she just have to wait for the fur to grow?

Mitzi (mitzil.mmjgroup.com - 192.34.35.23)
Posted on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jean,
You might like to talk to a show person and ask how they get past this awkward phase.

Dragonbrn (spider-tj034.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.213.189)
Posted on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The charming thing about a puppy shih tzu face is the classic "chrysanthemum" appearance, caused from the puppy hair sticking out in all directions. The hair in front of the eyes needs to be trained to fall along the side of the muzzle. This requires consistency and patience, along with daily wiping of the tear area with a moist cotton ball, and combing the hair in a downward direction with a fine toothed comb or flea comb. A small dab of setting gel can help speed the process. Many show shih tzu do have the stop area shaved, to accentuate the shortened muzzle of the dog, and to help keep the area clean. The caveat here is that once this is done, it needs to be kept up VERY regularly, as the regrowing hair will curl back into the eye, causing irritation and occasionally corneal ulcers. The advantage to not cutting the hair in this area is that it conducts tearing away from the eye onto the comparatively more open muzzle. Whichever way your client chooses to go, the eye area is one of the most problematic in regular maintenance of the breed, and she needs to inspect her puppy's eyes and tear ducts regularly, cleaning the area at least every couple of days. Hope this helps.

Yllek (204.71.65.253 - 204.71.65.253)
Posted on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jean, I did a copy paste to what I have wrote before on tearing. It will be below what I have to write about training the nose and stop hairs. We use Petroleum Jelly the cheaper brain compared to Vasaline. It is the safest product that I know of for using this close to the eyes. During the process of growing hair you have to use a good amount. One trick is to remember the correct way to part the hair. When parting the tear area the part goes straight across from eye to eye. The rest above that part goes straight up over the stop. Put the jelly right by the tear area and use the finner end of the comb to comb it down and than the stop hair up. My Shih Tzu's that I have shown in the past and other owners or handlers, never have tear areas shaved out, not even our Lhasa's. The only thing I have shaved off on my show dogs is under the nose. But only on the Shih Tzu. Anyway a lot of my pet owners like to try the jelly idea to pervent dealing with a shaved stop or tear area. It's a very save thing for a non-groomer to do:)

I was taught years ago by a Poodle&Lhasa breeder to look at the tear ducts. In the front of the duct & down in
the bottom eye lid lots of times there are very soft refine hair. We all know what it feels like when a hair gets in
our eyeballs! OK... These little hairs pull out very easily! I was amazed how much this helps the tearing!! I check
all the groomers I do that have runny eyes and they usually have a few slimmy hairs in there! The dogs in general
don't mind when I quickly pull the hair out. It's as if they enjoy getting that off the eyeball.

What I do is use my index finger pull the bottom eyelid by the duct like we do to get something out of our tear
duct area. You than will see little wet hairs outside laying in the tear area. Take your fingers grab the hairs and
pull till you can't see them anymore. Like I said the hairs come out with ease! We did this all the time to our
different breeds that we showed.Pekes,Shih Tzus,Poms Lhasas,and all the variety of Poodles. Anyway I just
automatically check my grooming dogs. Of course this doesn't cure the problem but will help to slow the flow of
tearing!!

Countrygrl60102 (cache00.outfitters.com - 64.6.15.11)
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jean please email me countrygrl60102@yahoo.com , I need to get the name & address of the sharpener you use. Thanks.I need to send off my equipment soon.

Linda Wilson (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 216.46.138.106
Posted on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 2:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 1 1/2 yr old Shih Tzu. She is in full coat with very thick hair. I am "thinking" about a shorter cut, but, I don't want to get rid of her top knot. Would a longer puppy cut and a top knot look funny? Any ideas would be appreciated.

loves
Registered Member
Username: loves

Post Number: 446
Posted From: 63.173.137.103
Posted on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a client (since moved) who had the largest shih tzu I've ever seen, and they kept her in long coat that skimmed the floor. Never a tangle or a mat. BUT, her legs were trimmed with a #7 blade. With the hair down, you couldn't see the short legs or her clean belly. And if her legs did show, it kinda looked like she was wearing bloomers. Not really a shorter cut, but really worked to keep the illusion of all that hair with much more ease of maintenance.

spottydog (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 152.163.253.40
Posted on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I had a scanner! I have four maltese that I do, different owners, who get the short puppy cut (1" on body and legs) and leave the face long with a topknot. Personally, I do not like the look. It throws the dog out of balance, the head looks too big for the body. I prefer either a topknot with the long full coat everywhere, or a short and cute teddy bear face with a short puppy cut.
Notice I said personally. You may love it, as my four clients do. I've shown them pics of maltese in other styles, and nope, they like this. Anyway, it's hair. What's to hurt by trying? It will grow back quick enough.

particentral
Username: particentral

Post Number: 1614
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do a dog named Patti that gets a 4f all over (rather short) and has a shorter round head with a short topknot.

ALSO if you do it longer (lets say about an inch and a half) and a neatened up head, beard and shorter topknot, it looks good.....here is gabbie

gabbie

since this picture was taken her ears have gotten shorter and her beard too. Sorry its a bit fuzzy, but it is an old picture.

justine
Registered Member
Username: justine

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 68.170.5.175
Posted on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 9:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got that beat. I've got a rather large maltese that the lady makes me do a 7f all over but DON'T TOUCH THE HEAD OR THE TAIL. I would take a picture but it looks too rediculous. The lady loves it but I tell her not to let anyone know that I groom it.

vroomvroom
Registered Member
Username: vroomvroom

Post Number: 382
Posted From: 24.99.73.148
Posted on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did a dog last week for the first time who had a very long top knot and 4f short on the body. The topknot was neatly clipped back on both sides of the face with snap barrettes and I thought it looked great that way. The dog did have a short teddy on the bottom half of the face if that makes any sense.

groomertabby
Registered Member
Username: groomertabby

Post Number: 3
Posted From: adsl-68-75-16-39.dsl.wotnoh.ameritech.net
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i find drop coated breeds to be challenge i have only been grooming for 11 mths but here is a shitzu i did

magnolia
Registered Member
Username: magnolia

Post Number: 1368
Posted From: cpe-24-175-109-154.houston.res.rr.com
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can't really see the body or anything from the small picture but it looks purdy good to me!

puppyluv2
Registered Member
Username: puppyluv2

Post Number: 14
Posted From: c-24-118-104-3.hsd1.mn.comcast.net
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 8:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Groomer Tabby-
My own preference is to go shorter under the chin.
Isn't it nice when a haircut takes years off the dog age?

groomertabby
Registered Member

Post Number: 18
Posted From: adsl-69-210-209-253.dsl.wotnoh.ameritech.net
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This one i had to do alot of demating to get a C comb through its coat 1 hr of demating . but it was worth it because the owner loved it . the owner brought in a picture from a calender they wanted the dog to look like . I thought the bow between the eyes was absured but what are you going to do .
Thanks for the feed back magnolia . The client on this dog wanted the chin to be long . I am a very new groomer only 8 mths so the input on this board is very very helpfull . I study grooming day and night ! The girls at my salon are kinda stuck up and they came in with more skills than me from prior jobs (alot of the girls in my shop dont have more than 1 year under there belt) . I work at petsmart ekkke dont think bad of me . It was the only way I could afford training . But I wont stop with petsmart training someday I hope to go on to bigger better things. Plus show up the snobs I work with who look down on my grooming ;)
I admire alot of you on here and hope to be as good someday . I really do belive a groomer never stops learning . Just got notes from the grooming table THANKS FOR THE TIP ITS A GREAT BOOK !

puppyd0gtails
Registered Member
Username: puppyd0gtails

Post Number: 9
Posted From: fl-71-3-52-21.dyn.sprint-hsd.net
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too work for Petsmart (SW Florida) for the same reason. I though the training was pretty good and the safety policy is excellent. I was hired a year ago and got out of school in Sep, so I've been grooming for 10 months. I too realize how green I am. I am taking a leap though and going mobile next month. I am nervous, but these message boards are great! How did you find Notes from the Grooming Table?

tngroomer
Username: tngroomer

Post Number: 653
Posted From: cache-rtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Groomertabby! That is a very cute groom!
You should be proud!

Daryl (over 20 years in, still learning, too!)
Daryl Conner, MPS, Meritus
Rockport, Maine

magnolia
Registered Member
Username: magnolia

Post Number: 1406
Posted From: cpe-24-175-109-154.houston.res.rr.com
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 9:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Groomertabby that is a beautiful groom, you did a wonderful job! Whew, hope you charged for that dematting! hehe
You're doing great, keep up the good work!
The best way to learn is to keep learning and go to any seminars that you can..well worth the experience and knowledge!

puppy you can get the info on Notes From The Grooming Table at petgroomer.com

VERY good book!

Nicole Leah (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 71-33-92-167.sxcy.qwest.net
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please help!!!
I have a 6mo. old Shih Tzu named Bo. I had him groomed short but didn't realize that he would be shaved so short. He is so upset. He will not stop itching his rear. He also seems to be scared. He doesn't want to eat or drink much. It is only the 2nd day but I am worried he will got go back to his bubbly self. Any suggestions on how to ease this tramatic time for him would be much appreciated.

valharly
Registered Member
Username: valharly

Post Number: 605
Posted From: 1cust943.an1.cle11.da.uu.net
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 2:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like he may have some clipper iritation on his butt. Some aloe gel (available at the pharmacy) will help that, then just tell him how beautiful he is and don;t laugh at him. First grooms can be a little traumatic as suddenly they go from being swaddled in hair to being able to feel every little thing, like air! Just [et him alot so he finds out these feelings are not negative.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 2784
Posted From: adsl-68-91-82-85.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is you were shocked at how he looked and he picked up on that. Dogs don't have mirrors and judge their reactions to our's. Like Val said, tell him how adorable and cool he looks. He'll pick up on your feelings and feel better himself.

Barb

Dezaray (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: adsl-1-143-109.clt.bellsouth.net
Posted on Friday, July 8, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 2.5 year old rescued shih tzu. She's got bilateral glaucoma and extreme KCS. She's on meds for both of these problems and has made a HUGE improvement since we adopted her. Her medicine for the dry eye increases the grow in eye lashes so I have to trim those constantly. Anyway, my question is we trim her every week around the eyes and mouth to keep all obstructions clear from her face. We're not worried about what it looks like necessarily it's more of a health thing. I bathe her weekly and she does great but first thing in the morning the grass is so wet and she's SO low to the ground that her legs get soaked, then she lays in her bed, and by the end of the day she and her bed stinks like wet dog. I am really not sure what to do. I've tried letting her go in the mulch and she won't have it. Also, I've been doing all of her grooming since we've gotten her (former vet tech, somewhat decent) but she's due for a professional full groom. I am REALLY nervous for her. Mainly because of her health concerns and how easily they overheat, how careful they need to be with her eyes, and how short her hair needs to be (razor burn worried). I feel like I am being WAY overproctive but in a way I am not. Please help on any ideas or referrals for groomers. We are near Charlotte, NC. Thank you!

Nancy Fraser (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: d198-53-75-197.abhsia.telus.net
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything that can be done to control the odor of a Shitzu's tearing. I assume that this is what it is, but could also be an ear infection, possibly. I have a new love, Charlie, six years old and he has a terrible time with tearing. He has recently had an eye infection at the time that I received him into my family.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

M Roberts (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: s01060007e9affd12.nb.shawcable.net
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there Nancy:
I groom nothing but shih tzu dogs. Some have more tearing problem than others, and yes! It does stink. On my own dog, Oscar, I use baby wipes, Pampers brand, and cut the sheet into thirds, as you don't need to waste the whole sheet to do this. Every morning, I wipe the corners of his eyes with the baby wipe, to clean it out. It refreshes the hair below the eye, as well as remove the gunk there, and makes him smell like baby powder. It's wonderful! The key is not to let it build up. We collect "sleep dust" too, in the corners of the eyes in the morning, and we wouldn't think of going around all day with the corners of our eyes gunked up, so we clear it out. Same goes for the dog!

barknpurr
Registered Member
Username: barknpurr

Post Number: 334
Posted From: 69.253.47.15
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 7:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nancy,

You may want to try the apple cider vinegar trick. In his water bowl every time you give him fresh water put one teaspoon of vinegar to one cup of water. This is the only water that he drinks. 90% of my clients who use this, have seen a reduction in staining and odor.

If this does not work, there is a product called Eve Envy - it is awesome. It is a liquid and powder combination. It has some antibacterial properties in it (I think it is a sulfur based liquid) and it really works. I retail it to quite a few of my clients and I use it on my own Bichon with really good results.

Good Luck!

Lisa

Lois Miller (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: pcp07345416pcs.potshe01.pa.comcast.net
Posted on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 8:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Shih Tzu, Ozzie, black and white and almost a year old. He never had a problem with tears until this last week or two.
His face always seems to be wet and the hair is stained a very reddish color. It's even around the mouth area. How do I remove the stain and how can I prevent this? The only thing that I can think of is a change in diet. We just started to use a new canned dog food, California.
We have a female, Zoie who eats the same, but she has no problem. Please help. Thanks...Lois

Registered Member
Posted on Monday, August 8, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention that these are our first Shih Tzu's and I would never have another breed. They are furry little people! This is a wonderful site. Thanks ........Lois

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 2272
Posted From: ppp-67-121-238-209.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net
Posted on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lois, you need to take your baby to a Vet. He could have an eye infection and it can be helped with antibiotics.

lorgul
Registered Member
Username: lorgul

Post Number: 71
Posted From: wireless-206-126-214-127.nconnect.net
Posted on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could also be from the diet change.

Registered Member
Posted on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dottie and Lori! Really fast response! Ozzie has a vet appt. tomorrow. Will let you know what they have to say. Thanks again for the input. ........Lois

annie_in_ny
Registered Member
Username: annie_in_ny

Post Number: 65
Posted From: user-12lcsa0.cable.mindspring.com
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 7:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if it is not from food too. Either he Ozzie might be allergic to something in it, ie watery eyes. Also if the food has red dye in it, the food would stain the chin when eating. The dye also can travel in the fluids of the body, and can come out through tears and saliva.

In our area, we can tell what town you are from from your dogs eyes. Some town have hard mineral water, and those dogs have a lot of staining. If they switch to bottled water (I know) the staining goes away.

Just my two cents

Charliedog (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 164.119.14.42
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a shih tzu puppy and I am wondering when to take him to the groomer. He has a dark face, so there is no noticeable tear staining, but I have noticed that his little face is always wet. Since he seems to tear a lot is there a better cut for him b/t the longer hair and the teddy bear cut? He is a little over two months old, when should I take him to a groomer?

aminsane2000
Registered Member
Username: aminsane2000

Post Number: 210
Posted From: max2-94.wear.gsinet.net
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

take him to a groomer before he "needs" it. He will do much better if he is used to be handled and brushed by a stranger. The younger the better. Most groomers will have "puppy prices" but not if you wait until he is 9mos old and not acclimated to the grooming process. That is much more traumatic then getting him used to it at 2mos. As a groomer, not much is worse than grooming a dog for its first time at one year of age.
Find yourself a nice patient groomer who will work with you to get the look you want in the long run.

lorgul
Registered Member

Post Number: 81
Posted From: wireless-206-126-214-127.nconnect.net
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 7:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The sooner the better I think, even if it is just for a bath. There are many different styles and lengths to choose from, talk to your groomer, also you can always modify the trim you want a little longer or shorter the next time until you find something you like. I think clients are sometimes afraid to ask, or they just do not understand the wide variety of trims available. If your groomer will not offer different trims try someone else.

progroom
Registered Member

Post Number: 2853
Posted From: adsl-66-143-46-27.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree. He needs started as soon as possible. I would also get him to a Vet right away to have those eyes checked. If they are tearing enough to keep the face wet, he could have some ingrown eye lashes. They constantly rub on the eye causing painful irritaion.

Barb

Puppy Parent (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 61.68.107.202
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 5:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for a small dog that does not drop hair. The only dogs I know of that do not drop hair is the poodle, but sounds like the Shi-zu does NOT shed hair either.

Is this correct?

amber
Registered Member
Username: amber

Post Number: 171
Posted From: fl-71-3-134-127.dyn.sprint-hsd.net
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 6:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I breed Shih Tzus' They DO shed. Not alot, but yes, they do.

lorgul
Registered Member

Post Number: 86
Posted From: wireless-206-126-214-132.nconnect.net
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I own a poodle and they also loose hair just like people do, again it is not much. I believe that there are no true non-shedding breeds, just ones that shed less.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 2949
Posted From: stjhnbsuh71-156034002148.nb.aliant.net
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 1:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I truly think if a person is concerned about hair then a stuffed toy is much better or a goldfish.

carrie brock (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: s01060050bfa3944d.vc.shawcable.net
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just got my bichon shih tzu shaved and they cut to close to his scrotum area and now its red he wont walk and hes very irritated is there anything i can do

coquihalla
Registered Member
Username: coquihalla

Post Number: 468
Posted From: dhcp211-1-135.dsl.ucc-net.ca
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aloe gel was suggested above by valharly. I have used polysporin in similar circumstance.

sandy
Registered Member
Username: sandy

Post Number: 731
Posted From: adsl-68-90-45-219.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or ask your vet for some Gentocin Topical spray. I use it all the time and it takes redmess and irritation out in an instant.

one_good_groomer
Registered Member
Username: one_good_groomer

Post Number: 362
Posted From: 24-231-220-160.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gold Bond powder works great-cheap, too.

amazon
Registered Member
Username: amazon

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 24-52-89-146.clvdoh.adelphia.net
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been using Gold Bond powder for years, and it works great. I use it as a preventative after grooming all sensitive skinned dogs.

schnauzershop
Registered Member
Username: schnauzershop

Post Number: 214
Posted From: ip70-185-64-224.ma.dl.cox.net
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 6:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a product called "Soothables" by Groomables, works on clipper irritation (poodle faces) like magic.

I also have a dog that comes in that licks her feet (makes stains). As I'm HVing, I had noticed a couple of little tiny sores on her feet so I sprayed this stuff and within a week, the sore were no longer there and within a month or two, the stains grew out.

I love this stuff.

groomertabby
Registered Member

Post Number: 19
Posted From: d149-67-208-170.col.wideopenwest.com
Posted on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

where can i get this soothables

Lampkinmedia (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cpe-68-173-35-104.nyc.res.rr.com
Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I will be the proud owner of a 17 week old
male Shih Tzu/Llhasa Apso mixed puppy. My question
to you is what grooming supplies will I need to
get for my puppy. What daily grooming tips can you give me and when should I take him to the
groomers, how frequently. His markings are brown
and white. I would like to keep him in full coat.
What daily products would I use to keep his coat
mat-free and flowing when the time comes. Thanks
in advance for your replies, Victoria

thedotteddog
Registered Member

Post Number: 2365
Posted From: adsl-67-126-207-80.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net
Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first thing you need is a comb. A good steel comb.
The second thing you need is dedication to comb him every single day right down to the skin in all areas including where each joint bends.

You should take your pup to a Groomer right away as he is already plenty old enough.

As for products, a good basic puppy or tearless shampoo is fine. You could use a leave in conditioner. If you find the right groomer they will take care of that and you need to take the dog at least every 3 weeks if you comb well or sooner if you don't.

Congratulations on your new baby.
What did you name him?

Lampkinmedia (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Thanks for the tips. I thought I should take him to the groomer right away. I'll do that. His name is "Yuki". I will have a pic of him soon so
you can see him. He's joining my 2 cats Maxie and Elvis. As far as combing him real good everyday
I will do that. Just wanted to make sure I have the right Brushes and combs for him. So how does
one train their hair to grow and what goes into
developing a "show coat" when the time comes. Are there any products or techniques involved. Also
I've heard of the term "wrapping" the coat. What exactly is that and how often is it done. Thanks
again for your replies.

tngroomer
Username: tngroomer

Post Number: 685
Posted From: cache-rtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bet Yuki is adorable!
I agree with the suggestion of a comb, but also suggest a good slicker brush. Brush first, comb second. Feed a premium diet, (Solid Gold, Wysong...) As far as training the coat, you just need to keep it well brushed and combed and you'll be fine. You don't need to worry about wrapping the coat unless it's a show dog, and since Yuki is a mixed breed you are off the hook! Wrapping involves tying up sections of the coat... it can be a pain.

Enjoy the new baby!

Daryl

lorgul
Registered Member

Post Number: 94
Posted From: wireless-206-126-214-137.nconnect.net
Posted on Monday, September 5, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a groomer, and own a poodle in show coat, not the same type of hair, but still lots of it. You can train a part into the hair once it is long enough, after a bath the part should be dried into the hair, run a comb down the center of the dog to form a part similar to human hair, then dry combing the sides down. I would also comb the part in on a regular basis when you brush the dog each day.
I find conditioning sprays, or anti-static spray will help when brushing, dry hair is more likely to break off.
Wrapping the coat protects the hair from breaking and matting, you wrap sections of hair in thin plastic sheets (wraps) fold them up and secure with a small rubberband, you would do this every few days.
I use a pin brush on my poodles long hair,(chris christianson is great) but don't know exactly what shih tzu people do.
If you are going to keep a long topknot small childrens cloth hair ties will break much less hair than rubberbands.

coquihalla
Registered Member

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, September 5, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The part is accentuated, if you will, by, periodically, (not toooo often), plucking just a tiny bit of hair about every 1/2 " or so, along the part-line. This way, when they do the 'shake,' the straight part will fall into place rather than a zig-zag part.
I use 3-in-1 contact lens solution to clean the eye area of my shih tzus. You can use Ringer's Lactate or such if it is available to you. Baby wipes also help get rid of the crud and the smell.
Use a fine mist spray when combing the hair in between baths. This also helps in keeping the topknot combed up and out of the eyes and his/her beard combed down. Your dog can get used to having it sprayed onto his muzzle and topknot without complaint.
I have four shih tzus, 3 in full coat, and these tips have worked for me.

lampkinmedia
Registered Member
Username: lampkinmedia

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 5, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi yes Yuki is adorable. Thanks for the tips as far as grooming him. I will have a pic of him soon.

Kathy Zolnier (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: c-24-5-229-245.hsd1.ca.comcast.net
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it typical for groomers to cut the eyelashes of Shih tzus? If they have, will they grow back?

annie_in_ny
Registered Member

Post Number: 72
Posted From: user-12lcsa0.cable.mindspring.com
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 8:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How funny. At my shop clients will be very up set IF we cut the eye lashes, and Others are very upset if we DON'T cut them. They will grow back. Just let your groomer know if you don't want the cut

Lisagirl (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: host597.ch1.cable.execulink.com
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We purchased a Shih Tzu/Bichon in August. She is GREAT. Little hairy girl. When she gets excitted she will pee on the floor. She is now 10 weeks old almost completely trained to go potty outside. (some acciedents) She however likes to nibble on ankles, not in a mean way just out of play. Any suggestions how to break her out of that. What I usually do is Tell her don't bite then continue on our walk. Also she loves to put everything in her mouth including Rocks.
Any suggestions?

clover
Registered Member
Username: clover

Post Number: 831
Posted From: c207.134.94-107.clta.telus.com
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is normal, she's a puppy :-) Mine loved to go after toes, eventually she learned what "ow" means, and got much gentler. Soon your puppy will be teething and might chew a lot. 'Don't bite' is long for her to learn at this age, you could try simply saying 'no' firmly and she will soon get the message.

And if you haven't already taken her for a grooming, now is the time to start, so she can get used to the equipment and noises (and people). This will prevent her from being scared of it in the future. If you plan on keeping her hair long, she will need grooming every 4 weeks, otherwise she will get all matted. If you go for the neat and clean look (shorter) expect her to need grooming every 6 to 8 weeks.

Good luck, she sounds sweet!

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 3044
Posted From: stjh1-2475.nb.aliant.net
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ankle biting is usually a dominant behaviour. I would use "don't bite". I try not to overuse "no" and I am more specific. "don't bite", "drop it" and things like that. They pick up on it pretty quickly. Be stern but always praise when they stop the bad behaviour. I recently took an animal behaviour couse that helped me a lot with training my own dogs and found a lot of what I learned was common sense but really works. Have fun.

coquihalla
Registered Member

Post Number: 511
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We use the command 'no teeth,' which seems to work pretty well.

Lisagirl (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: host597.ch1.cable.execulink.com
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 8:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you to everyone that replied, we will try the suggestions. We nearly bought a friend for our Jazzy. Yes she is so sweet and so loved. She is the apple of our eye ! I have posted a picture for you all to see. Thanks again.

thedotteddog
Registered Member

Post Number: 2397
Posted From: 69.224.70.235
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awwww! What a sweetie!

skili
Registered Member
Username: skili

Post Number: 398
Posted From: 207.69.139.161
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, probably gonna think I am dumb here, but I am stuck, and here goes. All suggestions welcome. I am lucky enough to have a shitzu that the owner doesn't mind brushing, does a great job, and don't have to do the famous # 10 strip. The problem: I can do a 1"- 1-1/2" comb on her, but when she is this length she has these very determined colics that looks like she got electrocuted. Cut with a 3-3/4 blade puppy cut looks beautiful and tamed, any longer, looks like she had a rough night out. Today I back combed her legs,and thought it might be better not to used the cream rinse I usually use on her(tropiclean medicated)but owner wanted to use the rinse.I have tried thinners on the body and only looks worse. She has that poker straight fur with wicked colics. Very sensitive skin, so I have to stick with the medicated shampoo and no extra stuff except rinse. The owner really likes 1/1-2" in the cooler weather, esp. Any ideas? She is about 2 yrs old. Thank you!!Sue

dogdayz
Registered Member
Username: dogdayz

Post Number: 222
Posted From: 207.119.74.39
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may try to start your comb on her about halfway down(at the shoulders,just skim the sides and then scissor the rest by "picking" it out with your comb and what sticks out ,lighty scissor until you get the coat to lay right.I had a lhasa with that same cowlick problem and this technique worked great for her, just remember dont use the clippers on her back,just skim the sides and legs to take the bulk off. good luck!

skili
Registered Member
Username: skili

Post Number: 399
Posted From: 207.69.139.9
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank YOU!! Do you put any conditioner on this type of coat?

dogdayz
Registered Member

Post Number: 225
Posted From: 207.119.74.39
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 7:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are so welcome! a light anti-stat leave in conditioner for flyaways if needed but you dont want to make the coat too soft, then it may be harder to "pick" and scissor. I use bark 2 basics demat leave in

dharmadog
Registered Member
Username: dharmadog

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 24.163.68.154
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If her skin is really sensitive (like sneeze on her and she breaks out kind of sensitive), give relief creme rinse from DVM products a whirl. I had a lady with a soft coated wheaten come in with the stuff her dog is so shiney and has the most awesome easy to manage coat. I called her dermatologist (the dogs) in Georgia several times and finally got an answer for what the stuff was. I use it on almost all my dogs now. They're getting so much easier to manage. It's expensive, but you use such tiny amounts to work into the hair, a 12 oz bottle lasts and lasts. It may tame some of the collics and make it easier. I find it scissors very well and with time the dogs hair gets easier to manage and soooo shiney. I'm addicted to the stuff.

papsnpaints
Registered Member
Username: papsnpaints

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 24.225.28.149
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I groom so many Shih Tzu. I'm getting the hang of using my taxi-vac and it's even better with my Ivac clipper. I can leave the coat longer with out all the scissoring. The other local groomer does a #10 or #7 all over with a clean face. I think I'm getting a reputation as the Shih Tzu Queen I think. I don't know that my grooms stack up to others that post here but my customers are happy. These three belong to a mother and daughter. They are fun to do.

(Message edited by papsnpaints on June 17, 2006)

annie_in_ny
Registered Member

Post Number: 568
Posted From: 68.237.178.61
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 6:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"leave the coat longer with out all the does a #10 or #7 all over with a clean face.

I don't understand that?

Anyway, I think the look very cute :-) I really like the faces, It does not look like there is much of a visor, and my clients would love the look around the eyes, The chins look really nice too.

If you can give directions for the faces, I would like that. The legs look very nice and full, could you also tell me what blades you use on the body and the legs ?

Thanks so much

pasobrio
Registered Member
Username: pasobrio

Post Number: 848
Posted From: 64.219.131.159
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 7:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Absolutely adorable paps!!!!!!! Also I'm truly amazed you were able to take this shot without one peering over the edge, the other with it's butt to the camera and the third licking it's privates. What well mannered little pooches you have there :-)

thedotteddog
Registered Member

Post Number: 2813
Posted From: 67.126.200.158
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh paso, LOL! I can tell you have been trying to get pics too. I have a hard enough time getting ONE to sit or stand still for the time it takes to get a pic. I love my digital camera, it's a Nikon coolpics and it takes very nice pics when I set it right, but the dang SHUTTER LAG! just when I think I have a great shot, in half a second they move.
BRAVO paps, Nice shot and cute grooms too.

pasobrio
Registered Member

Post Number: 852
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, I know exactly what you mean, I have a Sony Mavica, it burns the pictures to a little disk. You would think a 800.00 camera wouldn't have such ba shutter lag but it does. The dog looks so cute looking at me all perfect, maybe with a slight tilt to their head "Because I sometimes make a high pitched squealing noise to get their attention lol" Push the button, and by the time it takes the picture, the tongue is out, or it's shaking, or doing anything but looking cute and cuddly.

thedotteddog
Registered Member

Post Number: 2818
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still have a Sony Mavica, just the older one that takes pics on a floppy disk. I like that camera but floppys are fast going by the wayside an it's too big and heavy to carry around all the time. This one I keep in my purse, in a clamshell case.
They say the really new, better ones don't have such a bad shutter lag, but that ALL digitals have SOME. At least I can take a lot of pics and hope for a good one.

papsnpaints
Registered Member

Post Number: 301
Posted From: 63.172.155.63
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant to say the other local groomer only does them with a 10 all over.
If you look at the picture closer you can see I edited out the grooming loops. they are good dogs, of course I have several pictures where they look less than well behaved. There was no butt licking going on tho!
The little one I did with an "E" comb on the body and head, blended to the skirt and legs. That was the first time I took of body coat on her. The first groom I gave her a topknot and they asked for a trimmed face the next time. Other than that they just let me do what ever I want.
The middle dog probably a 3-3/4 body and used a comb on the head and longer comb on the whiskers. He chews on his back legs so I never leave him as long as the other two. The dog on the right I don't remember (my puter is at home the cards are at the shop). I like using a snap on comb with the taxi vac for shih tzu heads. I see in the picture his front legs could have used a bit more shaping.

(Message edited by papsnpaints on June 17, 2006)

pasobrio
Registered Member

Post Number: 859
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhhhhhh, Now I understand, I thought maybe you were typing while intoxicated again.

dharmadog
Registered Member
Username: dharmadog

Post Number: 488
Posted From: 24.163.68.154
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even with a regular camera a cute shot gets messed up. Had this dog sitting with her mouth closed looking all cute...flash and the picture looks like if you feed her after midnight or spill water on her gremlins will sprout from her back lol Sad too! it was going to be sooo cute lol.

thedotteddog
Registered Member

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL! I get lots of those. I had a little 2 lb yorkie in Friday and forgot to get the pic on the table and mom was on her way. Grandson, aged 14 got my camera and took three pics. They turned out better than some I take on the table taking my time. He took it in the cage. The first one was as is. Others I "fixed" redeye.
Keep in mind that this is a 2 lb first groom and wow what a wiggler.

papsnpaints
Registered Member

Post Number: 303
Posted From: 63.172.155.63
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

intoxicated?
well if so
it was the bow!

annie_in_ny
Registered Member

Post Number: 575
Posted From: 71.246.177.34
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 7:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thoses are GREAT pictures:-) Did you leave the front legs very fluffy on purpose ? Or was the dog very leg shy. I always take them down the same length as the body. I just 'found' out about leaving legs one or two blades longer.

silverbone
Registered Member
Username: silverbone

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 152.163.100.196
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

okay guys, customer dilema here, I groom her full coated shih, he is a wonderful little guy. She wants me to thin some bulk out of his coat so it lays nicer, any suggestions? I am thinking of using thining shears, any help would be appreciated. And she mentioned long layering type of thingy, this dog is in to see me once a week for a bath and brush and a groom every 4 wks. HELP!!!!!

papsnpaints
Registered Member

Post Number: 389
Posted From: 204.96.149.107
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 6:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first thought is thinning shears too. I wonder if you could take some bulk out with a coat king or something like that.

melon
Registered Member
Username: melon

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 69.209.136.255
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems that when most people say "layering" they are thinking of human hairstyles. I try to explain that that isn't exactly what we do, but I'll try to come as close as we can.
For this dog, I would try a coat king first, then thinning shears, but the problem might be with a drop coat that you ultimately create more problems (matting due to uneven hair lengths). And are you conditioning? That might weigh down the coat a little bit.

progroom
Registered Member

Post Number: 3251
Posted From: 68.93.11.17
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using thinning shears can cause the coat to matt easier.
I would go with a fine tooth comb or some carding to remove as much undercoat as possible. Then a heavy conditioner to weigh the coat down.

If you remove length, you remove weight and the weight also keeps the coat laying flatter.

Barb

dragonbrn
Registered Member
Username: dragonbrn

Post Number: 984
Posted From: 64.12.116.196
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello silverbone,
First off, there are 2 distinct types of shih tzu coat. One is satiny in texture and drapes elegantly from the back to the floor when properly groomed. It tends to be a slightly thicker hairshaft, with very little undercoat, and doesn't scissor well, as there is not much to make it "poof" out when it is shortened. The other is very dense and cottony. The hairshaft is actually thinner, but the density of the coat makes the whole coat stand off more from the body. This type does well for haircuts, since you can get it to hold a shape and not fall down once it's shortened. The thicker, more cottony coat seems to decrease for dogs as they get older, but you can still see the difference side-by-side at 4-5 years of age. You really don't want to use thinning shears on either one. It encourages matting down the road, since the uneven cutting lengths of thinning shears will encourage the longer hairs to wind around the shorter hairs and clump, unless someone is religious about brushing AND combing between grooming sessions with you. Actually, anything that breaks the coat off will encourage matting in those spots. You are better off trying to do a cute haircut style on the poofy coat, with a consistent length on the body, and maybe a tad longer on the legs and underbody to give definition and balance to the dog and maybe hide flaws like a fiddle front or cowhocks.
A good light leave-in conditioner/dematting spray is also an option. Except for heavy mats, just misting the coat as you comb/brush can be very beneficial.

yllek
Registered Member
Username: yllek

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 207.51.157.206
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

silverbone writes: She wants me to thin some bulk out of his coat so it lays nicer, any suggestions?

The best way to get bulk out of drop coated breeds is to strip the undercoat out. It's a wonderful trick, an added bonus is it helps with between groom mats!! It will require some elbow grease but the results are worth it when done correctly. First do it to a dry coat. With a comb, I use a greyhound big tooth end. Start at the occiput making sure the comb is to the skin and pull in small jerks. Once you feel the comb wanting to stop you stop. There should be undercoat that has risen up away from skin. You don't want to pull this all the way out over the length of hair with your comb. If you do this is were the coat damage will take place. Instead take your brush it will slid out. Continue to do this all the way down the spine. What you will find too is it will make the *part* part much easier and straighter. It helps to bring out the natural part and shine in the dog. Anyway after I have done that down the spine I go back to behind the one of the ears. Pulling the ear forward and start to make my jerk pull motion. Doing this on the side going straight back to the stifle. Once that area is done than I do the other side. You can do this down the sides of neck too, oh and some I do the ears. I do this on poodles ears too that might puff out way too much for the owners liking. The trick is to get the short pull jeck motion going. It has really never seemed to bother any dog I have done this too. After the bath I will do this ordeal over again when wet. I like to put a part in from the base of tail going up towards the head. I think it parts easier and much faster. Also one of my pet peeves is when the base of tail is not scissored out. I do this around the whole base, it makes for a prettier look, this way the tail doesn't look like it's part of the dog's back. Another trick to debulk areas is on the shoulders. I use my 7/8 bld., lifting the hair from the part at the shoulders going an inch or more down I shave a little strip. No one sees it, we have done this many times to the shih tzu's and lhasa's that we've shown. You can also try this at the hip area. Like others have mention don't use a thinning shear on the coated dogs. They do mat faster and tighter. I don't like to weigh pet grooms with conditioner. The coat gets dirty so much faster. The best thing I have used is Infusium Leave in Conditioner. You don't leave in it though. I dilute it about half infusium half water. Once I have shampooed the coat I don't rinse out the shampoo I just add the conditioner work it in well, than rinse. Also stripping a drop coat doesn't happen every groom. I only do this when they start looking bulky etc.. Now I know some of you might thing oh dear you shouldn't do this to a dry coat. Like I said as long as you don't pull undercoat out over the length of hair it will be just fine. Done right it will not break the hair at the top either. I would like to mention if the dog has a very wirer coat it will be hard to get it to look good no matter really what you do.
Hope this made sense and I hope you will try it!
yllek

yllek
Registered Member

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

silverbone writes: She wants me to thin some bulk out of his coat so it lays nicer, any suggestions?

The best way to get bulk out of drop coated breeds is to strip the undercoat out. It's a wonderful trick, an added bonus is it helps with between groom mats!! It will require some elbow grease but the results are worth it when done correctly. First do it to a dry coat. With a comb, I use a greyhound big tooth end. Start at the occiput making sure the comb is to the skin and pull in small jerks. Once you feel the comb wanting to stop you stop. There should be undercoat that has risen up away from skin. You don't want to pull this all the way out over the length of hair with your comb. If you do this is were the coat damage will take place. Instead take your brush it will slid out. Continue to do this all the way down the spine. What you will find too is it will make the *part* part much easier and straighter. It helps to bring out the natural part and shine in the dog. Anyway after I have done that down the spine I go back to behind the one of the ears. Pulling the ear forward and start to make my jerk pull motion. Doing this on the side going straight back to the stifle. Once that area is done than I do the other side. You can do this down the sides of neck too, oh and some I do the ears. I do this on poodles ears too that might puff out way too much for the owners liking. The trick is to get the short pull jeck motion going. It has really never seemed to bother any dog I have done this too. After the bath I will do this ordeal over again when wet. I like to put a part in from the base of tail going up towards the head. I think it parts easier and much faster. Also one of my pet peeves is when the base of tail is not scissored out. I do this around the whole base, it makes for a prettier look, this way the tail doesn't look like it's part of the dog's back. Another trick to debulk areas is on the shoulders. I use my 7/8 bld., lifting the hair from the part at the shoulders going an inch or more down I shave a little strip. No one sees it, we have done this many times to the shih tzu's and lhasa's that we've shown. You can also try this at the hip area. Like others have mention don't use a thinning shear on the coated dogs. They do mat faster and tighter. I don't like to weigh pet grooms with conditioner. The coat gets dirty so much faster. The best thing I have used is Infusium Leave in Conditioner. You don't leave in it though. I dilute it about half infusium half water. Once I have shampooed the coat I don't rinse out the shampoo I just add the conditioner work it in well, than rinse. Also stripping a drop coat doesn't happen every groom. I only do this when they start looking bulky etc.. Now I know some of you might thing oh dear you shouldn't do this to a dry coat. Like I said as long as you don't pull undercoat out over the length of hair it will be just fine. Done right it will not break the hair at the top either. I would like to mention if the dog has a very wirer coat it will be hard to get it to look good no matter really what you do.
yllek

yllek
Registered Member

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yllek

yllek
Registered Member

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yllek

karenv
Registered Member
Username: karenv

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 24.110.228.7
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question also, on the drop coated breeds with pretty long hair , and the client only wants the good ole 1/2 off - HOW???

It seems every time we have this request, we end up with a chopped up looking dog and then spend an hour trying to fix it...

What should we be doing? We are using comb attachments following the lay of the hair.

paddyred
Registered Member
Username: paddyred

Post Number: 343
Posted From: 70.53.21.75
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

use the longest attachment possible, like an E or D, the coat will lay flater, trim up the ends, it looks like you took off more than you really did, the coat looks smoother and the thinner, sometimes the client means for the coat to look smoother not as bulky, for etc. when yu blow out a collie and get all the undercoat out , the owner seems to think the dog got a hair cut, same sort of deal. it's hard doing a full coated dog when the people want it shorter, you can also comb up the hair on the legs and scissor it down to give a shorter look with out choppiness. sorry hard to explain. paddy

katelyn
Registered Member
Username: katelyn

Posted From: 68.5.125.236
Posted on Wednesday, May 9, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i may be just a kid.. but im wondering how to groom a dog, i have a 1 year old Shih Tzu and she needs a cut bad! me and my dad always teas of how "Scruffy" she looks, She gets VERY VERY dirty fast (she loves to play in the dirt by rolling around) we always take her to Petco and get her a wash and a Teddy Bear face. it has gotten very expensive and my dad thinks its time for us to groom her, we would like to shave her, we need help of.. where to shave her, where not to, and more is always better so feel free to say any more than im requesting.
( i would put a picture but its too big for this site and i took it with my laptop, it cannot be adjustable )

Thanks! Katie :-)

katelyn
Registered Member
Username: katelyn

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.5.125.236
Posted on Wednesday, May 9, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i may be just a kid.. but im wondering how to groom a dog, i have a 1 year old Shih Tzu and she needs a cut bad! me and my dad always teas of how "Scruffy" she looks, She gets VERY VERY dirty fast (she loves to play in the dirt by rolling around) we always take her to Petco and get her a wash and a Teddy Bear face. it has gotten very expensive and my dad thinks its time for us to groom her, we would like to shave her, we need help of.. where to shave her, where not to, and more is always better so feel free to say any more than im requesting.
( i would put a picture but its too big for this site and i took it with my laptop, it cannot be adjustable )

Thanks! Katie :-)

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 5107
Posted From: 156.34.180.254
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is so much to consider when grooming your own pet. Especially one that isn't a short haired breed. You need nail clippers, hair clippers (and most of the cheap ones will not work), good pair of scissors, different blades, brushes and comb. Most groomers have either taken a course or have years of experience and that makes it difficult to just give instructions on how to groom your dog in a post, if you get what I mean. You have to be careful clipping around eyes and private parts. I don't know what you are being charged for the grooming but it is likely a reasonable price. You could have your dog groomed every 3 months in a short clip and brush/bath in between on your own. That may help with costs but make sure you also keep the nails short. Others will likely have more info.

daryl
Registered Member
Username: daryl

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 152.163.101.5
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Katie; I am glad you want to try to groom you dog. As doggygirl said, there is a bit more to it than you might think. A professional groomer not only cuts the hair, but also trims the nails, cleans the ears, checks the anal sacs, and much more. In order to groom your dog you will need to invest some money to purchase the proper tools. A professional quality clipper will cost at least $100., and then there are clipper blades, brushes, combs, shampoo, nail trimmers and scissors to purchase as well. If you seriously want to learn to groom you own pet, it would be wise to invest in a lesson from a local pet groomer. Using sharp tools on a wiggly pet can lead to accidents, so it would be best to have some training before you try to clip.
I bet your dog is adorable!
Daryl
www.darylconner.com

jasher2
Registered Member
Username: jasher2

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 24.163.233.89
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Katie, I'm glad to hear that you want to take good care of your friend. What the others have said is true. It is harder than it looks. Sharp scissors and clippers + a moving animal = accidents waiting to happen. Professional groomers have had training and experience to learn how to handle these situations and minimize the risk. We didn't learn in a few days and most of us have still had accidents.

The suggestion to have her clipped short every 3 months and keep her brushed between groomings is great.

If you do decide to try this yourself here are some pointers:
*Put the dog on a table or desk. Don't try this on the floor. When you put them on a table they will learn that it is not play time. They need to mind and be still.
*Praise her for being good only by saying "good girl" and pet her 1-2 times. Don't make a big deal out of this. You are working, this is not play time. She needs to learn to be still and not jump around. If she sees you are serious then she will learn to be serious about this.
*Start putting her on the table when you brush her now. Do this each time you brush her. When she learns to be still then you can start learning to use clippers and scissors on her.
*Cheap clippers don't work very well. Get good ones.
*Check the blade temperature by touching it to your inner arm. If it feels too warm, stop and let it cool or change blades.
Be very careful of areas like the arm pits, legs, neck, tuck-up (skin were the back leg and body meet). The skin can easily feed into the clippers and it cuts like paper!
*Never point the scissors toward the dog. Keep them pointing away.
*Never cut unless you can see the tip of the scissors. You want to make sure there is no skin in there.
*Have a picture of her freshly groomed sitting next to you. The picture will help you know what to do.

These are just a few beginning tips about safety. I know it's a lot of be careful talk but, be careful.

I hope some others can give more advice.

}

groomnchick
Registered Member
Username: groomnchick

Posted From: 76.115.117.79
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I posted a question but cant find the thread!! Anyway I really need tips on making shih tzu feet look round and cute. Say if you were doing a short cut like a 7-4 blade do you use your blade over the knuckles of feet? How do you make that nice"U" on the foot? And not have the feet look to big? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanx

bstylinpets
Registered Member
Username: bstylinpets

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 76.97.101.61
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you can find some really cool video clips online at http://youtube.com/watch?v=eiiSio90tx4 about 1-2 minutes into this video it shows how to do a foot of a shihtzu... Hope this helps you-peace

dogdayz
Registered Member

Post Number: 959
Posted From: 207.119.74.112
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is my video

gabrielle_s
Registered Member
Username: gabrielle_s

Posted From: 72.134.18.195
Posted on Saturday, January 5, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question as a fairly new Shi Tzu owner...our little one seems to have the unseemly problem of collecting small "presents" of poo in her hair beneath the tail. She's been groomed only once now, but is requiring almost a daily bath now to clean this area up. Anything I should instruct our groomer on to help with preventing this in the future?

Ty :-)

sarahjane
Registered Member
Username: sarahjane

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 81.154.186.106
Posted on Saturday, January 5, 2008 - 3:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gabrielle,

The correct term as I understand it, is to ask your groomer to give her a 'sanitary' trim around her bottom. This needs to be done fairly regularly in order for poo to pass neatly, and to avoid your shih tzu's skirt getting grubby. My puppy is trimmed in that area every two weeks which seems to work fine for us; you should ask your groomer to demonstrate how to do this yourself in between 'professional' grooms.

I don't know how old your puppy is, but if she is very tiny, I can assure you, it's only going to get worse, so you need to keep this area trimmed. However, if you look at your pup as she matures, you will notice that when she 'toilets' she will instinctively try to NOT get her skirt wet if possible ! The rest is up to you ...

It is good to hear you are not just wiping the poo off and brushing the area later because shih tzu hair is so soft and fine and can break easily if you take this approach. I would try to avoid bathing her entirely though, because - equally - your puppy's skin is sensitive and needs its natural oils to prevent dryness and contact dermatological problems.

However, how about you just hold her bottom under the tap and JUST rinse the grubby area ? That's what I have done on the rare occasions when my shih tzu has had an 'accident' !!

Just so you know ... I am an experienced shih tzu owner but not a groomer; I am sure there are groomers here who will give you good advice too. But I do keep my pup in full coat except for tidying/trimming of her paws and tummy, and tidying of the anal area, and that works brilliantly for us. Unless you are going to keep your puppy clipped all over, you will find that if you want her to live a full and happy doggy life, that getting dirty is just part and parcel of owning such a wonderful little dog !

I hope what I have shared helps you, Gabrielle; there really is nothing like owning a shih tzu!

PS. You might also want to look at her diet, Gabrielle; if her stools are sticking in a [there's no other way to put this!] very wet way to her bottom area, then she might not be absorbing her food properly. Shih tzu dog stools should be moist but not too wet and very 'neat' and if the anal area is kept tidy, there should be no grubbiness post-poo at all.

ktmom
Registered Member
Username: ktmom

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 24.210.18.206
Posted on Saturday, January 5, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarahjane,
You are so right about owning a shih tzu. I live with two and they make my life worth living.
One of them actually gets poo stuck on his butt often. I use a wash cloth and warm water and sort of melt it away. He will turn around for me and stick his butt up so I can clean it. haha.
If the butt area is a little red, I apply a small amount of bag balm to it.
The other one who I keep in long coat, now and then has a big glob of poo stuck to his hair. I put him in the tub and spray it off.
What we go through for out Tzu.

gabrielle_s
Registered Member
Username: gabrielle_s

Posted From: 72.134.18.195
Posted on Saturday, January 5, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarahjane and Ktmom- thank you so much for the quick reply and advice!

The melting method is what we've been using for the poo extraction (lol) rather than a full bath so at least that was right :-) I'll talk to her groomer today and see if they would mind demonstrating the sanitary trim as well!

She is a love, she is a challenge as well at times because she is SOO full of energy but we couldn't do without her after having her join our family!

Thank you again! :-)

nakedbacon
Registered Member
Username: nakedbacon

Post Number: 497
Posted From: 208.101.91.2
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gabrielle - Thanks for being a mindful and caring owner. :-)

I have two tzu myself... They do get dirty bums, and my solution is to clip around the rectum with a 15 blade... so when they've been freshly groomed, they've got this very obvious shaved area... But if it's inbetween grooms, and it usually is, I will pop them in the tub, scrub the bum with a warm wet washcloth... And I take care of anal glands too if they seem to need it.

With clients's dogs, I'd do the same thing - wash it away in the bath and clip carefully around rectum, but it wouldn't appear as obvious as I do with my own pets. :-)
"I bet the last time you were sorry was when you had to use the pay toilet and the string to your pet dime broke!!"

"If you're too tense, reduce to one-fifth."

dirokeje
Registered Member
Username: dirokeje

Posted From: 207.161.235.82
Posted on Friday, July 3, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone. I'm a very new Shih tzu owner, I was fortunate enough to receive a 1yr old boy and he's a joy. I'm so new though that I had to surf the net to confirm that he was in fact a Shih tzu (he's bigger than any shitzu I've seen at 14lbs but he) despite the fact I was told he was a Shih tzu when I got him. My problem is he's white. I'm dealing with mild tear staining, pee back spray stain and regular dog grubbiness. How often can we bathe them? Some sites say 3 weeks, some say every week and I just want him to be clean but healthy. Please let me know if bathing once a week with a good quality dog shampoo is okay, I don't want him developing skin problems but I don't want a smelly dog on my lap either!

nakedbacon
Registered Member
Username: nakedbacon

Post Number: 1545
Posted From: 209.196.226.120
Posted on Friday, July 3, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

welcome Dirokeje to the forum. :-) And congrats on your new Shih Tzu.
Tear staining - I have never really tried anything for my Tzu's staining (I have two Tzu) as he has hairs growing into his eyelids.
My advice about bathing is if you bathe him really well and rinse doubly good, you shouldn't have a problem with him getting too many baths. It's not uncommon for a professional groomer to get a once-a-week dog in for a bath and brush out. Which shampoo are you using?

Post pics of your baby!!

Jen
"Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet." - chinese proverb

ktmom
Registered Member
Username: ktmom

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 65.24.185.217
Posted on Friday, July 3, 2009 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My all white Shih Tzu got to the point that he looked like he stuck his face in mudd. I started giving filtered water to him and I wash his face everyday.
He just had a cyst removed from his eyelid and the Vet feels he has some dry eye so now we are taking care of that. I have 3 Shih now and I've been to the Vet so much that he probably thinks I'm stalking him. haha
I've spent $300 in two weeks at the Vet and we're not finished yet. My new little girl will be getting spayed in a month or so. But they all got a great health report.

progroom
Registered Member

Post Number: 6517
Posted From: 66.142.233.113
Posted on Friday, July 3, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frequent bathing is usually not a problem. Of course some dogs are over sensitive so different shampoos or a different bathing schedules might be needed. You'll find what works for him.

A VERY important thing to remember is to RINSE RINSE RINSE and then when the water comes off clear enough to drink, rinse again.

As for doggy odors, there are a few things that can contribute to that besides cleanliness.

If there is a lot of tearing, that most skin under the eyes can sometimes harbor bacteria that can leave them smelly.

Food allergies can manifest themselves in runny eyes and a general doggy odor.

One of may girls has a lot of tears and staining if she eats a food with corn in it. When kept on a corn free diet, she has minimal to no tears or staining.

So if your new addition seems to be overly smelly and needs bathing more than once a week or so, you might look for other reasons as to why he smells.

Barb

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.