Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

How do you trim feet ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » GROOMING TECHNIQUES » TRIMMING HEADS, FACES, EARS, TAILS, FEET » How do you trim feet ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Particentral (dial-47.r02.gawrwk.infoave.net - 207.50.25.111)
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the hardest things for grooming students I have seen is to do feet well.

Round, Teddy Bear feet, cocker shavedown feet, poodle feet....all of the above.

I want to know do you do poodle feet on cocker shanvedowns?
What are some tricks to making those round feet round?
How to trim poodle feet smoothly and without strays around the nail?

I have somw tricks, too, but want to hear yours.

Topdogette (spider-tm084.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.197.84)
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ON Cockers (I used to raise & show Cockers)I have found that I can get a much better looking & round foot by trimming from the back of foot first..Trim hair fairly close to edges & front then turn foot over, brush hair up & neatly round top of foot. That's the way I do it :)For Poodles I use my Artmaster & it gets ALL those pesky hairs off the feet.

yankeeclipper (208.235.250.28 - 208.235.250.28)
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great subject. Any advice or photos on English Cocker feet would be most appreciated. The show dogs that I've seen done are very tight at the base/pad area, nails cut very short with the hair cut back in layers to prevent "pancake feet"(?) as conveyed by handler/groomer. The amount of hair taken off on the inside or outside depends on how straight the legs are. I never get this right.

Unfortunately videos that I've seen and breed specific groom info. doesn't focus on the feet but more the overall appearance.

Thanks.

Particentral (host-209-214-99-227.aby.bellsouth.net - 209.214.99.227)
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 7:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This subject came up in Nashville and was brought up by Marea Tully. Apparently most of the groomers were having "feet trouble". When I asked my trainee what the hardest thing she has to do is she replied FEET OF ALL KIND! LOL I had to laugh at her.

Tips I gathered......

1. Trim the nails as short as possible. Grind if you can. A tight nail means an easier to groom foot.

2. COMB COMB COMB!!!!! Toe mats, and tangles will alter the foot shape and end result.

3. Poodle feet...leave no hair. I use a peanut or a forty blade. Get the hair from around the nail.....it is easier for me without the clipper vac system.

4. for column feet, comb the hair smooth, round the foot with a beveled lower edge. Comb down through the toes with the end of the comb to pull any extra toe hair to the underside of the foot. comb the top again while holding the foot. Trim the extra hair under the foot. Do it again. This will give you a very round, neat foot. This applies to cocker feet also. Several times may be needed to get all the stray hairs, but in the end it is worth it.

5. Cocker and other shavedowns.....I prefer the foot shaved like a poodle. Anything else just leaves extra hair as the dog grows out and I can never get a smooth look.

Anyone else????

Louie (1cust236.tnt1.hackensack.nj.da.uu.net - 63.21.130.236)
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Particentral, when you say "shaved like a poodle" do you mean allthe toe hair? I think that sounds great, I hate how the feet look when a dog is shaved and the feet just don't look right...and they do look worse as the hair is growing out

sparkle (cbur011p09.bur.micron.net - 204.229.101.138)
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

on any shave down , i do poodle feet, it just goes with the cut, nice and neat, j m h o.

Rene (spider-tl062.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.207.202)
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally, I hate poodle feet on a cocker. Plus the time that it takes to shave those feet, I would rather trim them up nicely then spend the extra time to shave them. I also think they look goofey with shaved feet. But, JMHO :) Rene'

Thedotteddog (208-25-51-183.stk.inreach.net - 208.25.51.183)
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 2:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shaved feet on cockers make sense, even if they dont look good ,if you have ever seen the mess foxtails can make of a dogs foot. Around this area they are horrible in the summer and a lot of people like the feet shaved on their cockers. Some I do year round. Most of these are people who live in the country or in RV's most of the year. I have to agree that it doesnt look right, but oh well, to each his own. I dont think its any harder to shave a cockers foot than a poodles really, just lots more hair!

Particentral (host-209-214-99-68.aby.bellsouth.net - 209.214.99.68)
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 6:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh, but remember the rest of the dog is already a 7 or 10. It actually fits the rest of the dog.

And BTW I HATE poodle feet! Detest them! If I could fins someone to do JUST those in my shop I would hire them right now! LOL

tilly (spider-tj064.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.213.204)
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally I detest doing poodle feet on anything. But for cockers if I do a shave down say a 5 I will go over the top of feet with a 7 or if doing a pattern cut using a 5 I'll still go over the top with a 7. They don't look shorter but I find it eaiser to shape and neaten up. JMHO who ever created poodle feet did it as a joke to make me suffer I'm convinced of it!

tilly

K9luvr (spider-ntc-td013.proxy.aol.com - 198.81.17.153)
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to grooming school in England in the early 60s. In those days 70% of all trims were poodles, all those poodle feet!!!!. After the school I worked in the grooming shop (part of a pet shop) finnishing off my apprentiship .For practise I used to do whole litters of 6 week old toy and minature poodle puppies. Believe me I learned endless patience and competance of feet. I do them by rote almost, never have to think about them I can whiz through a standard's feet and nails in about 10 minutes.

Shedog (spider-ntc-ta031.proxy.aol.com - 198.81.16.31)
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 4:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Foxtails are a problem in this area, too. We do some full coated cockers with Poodle feet. But, you can't tell. Pull the leg hair up and shave the feet...comb leg hair down and round off. Looks fine. Saves customer mega vet bills and dog a lot of pain. Poodle feet on any breed is better than abcesses from foxtails.

Thedotteddog (209.142.18.124)
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 6:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shedog is right as usual about the foxtail awns in the feet. If you dont like doing poodle feet on just about everything, you dont want to groom around here! I do poodle feet on just about all breeds. Not all dogs thank goodness, but lots of people want it for just that reason. I also do lots of #7 strips and #7 reverse and # 8 1/2 strips and #10 strips in the summer here. Nearly everyone except the ones that keep their dogs on green lawn or in the house wants most of the hair off because the weed awns are so terrible here. I agree, cockers and springers are the worst for getting their feet shaved! It can be quite a struggle, especially if they grow up before getting it done the first time! I just say,"If you can hold it, I can clip it!"

deb-al (205.188.195.44)
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I've been out of town for a few days, or I would have asked this sooner....what is a foxtail awn? Around here we have these small, round things with little thorns all over them that everyone calls cockleburrs, could that be the same thing as what you are talking about?

Rev (205.188.197.31)
Posted on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Foxtail Barley

petgroom (px2cv.gv.shawcable.net - 24.64.223.204)
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do a lot of poodle feet on cockers and mixed breeds---we're in major rain country here!! I'd much rather shave a dog's feet then try to shape a fungus foot.... I do the same as Shedog--comb up, shave feet, comb down, shape outline. The only time anyone notices is when they don't have to mop up the doggy footprints. As an aside, my own dogs are unshaven---my house is so bad that a few footprints really don't matter! Gee, do ya'll still wanta come and visit?? Luckily my "girls" aren't prone to fungus-things.

sparkle (cbur012p08.bur.micron.net - 204.229.101.154)
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

foxtails are such a big problem here, that i do a lot of sch., with poodle feet, plus some pekes and shizshus, i even keep my own sch in poodle feet, and since i didn't shave her feet soon enough, this spring, we are doing the soak feeties to get rid of foxtail, stuff. she HATES it , by the way, poor puppie.

Mitzi (mitzil.mmjgroup.com - 192.34.35.23)
Posted on Friday, July 6, 2001 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the full coated cockers I will sometimes lift the hair up and scissor short, tight feet. This eliminates some of the problems of the big mops cockers have, but the dogs don't mind it as much as having their feet shaved. Have you noticed all cockers seem to think you are going to chop the toes off? I really HATE shaving down a cocker legs for a strip, because my knuckles always get whacked into the clippers as the dog yanks away.

Cdnenya (cfa1.execulink.net - 199.166.6.10)
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In answer to Parti's above questions:

I do poodle feet on cocker shavedowns. If I've used a 7F, 10 or 15 on the cocker, I'll usually go with the same blade to do clean feet (with the except of the 7, I'll use a 10 on those ones). But I much prefer to use a #30 all over the cockers foot. I like my cockers clean because they don't come in as often as I'd like and I hate the fungus that grows on most of them. I find having the help of an trained assistant hold the cocker when I shave his feet helps with thrashing, etc. so I can get my job done.

When I am making feet round, I usually step back from the dog a few times while scissoring, to check on the overall look of the dog, and then go back and scissor, comb, scissor, comb until everything is in balance. Just hope those owners don't drop by early or else I'm working on a dancing dog! lol

I trim almost all poodle feet using a #30. On really quality dogs I'll use a #40. On sensitive dogs I'll use a #15 or sometimes a #10 but that takes much longer to get all those hairs. On almost all poodles I'll go around the dog after the bath/dry again and make sure no hairs are sticking out on those feet. I like 'em clean as a whistle!

Poodle feet may have originally been meant for just poodles, Puppy Primper, but they look great on all coats that have been stripped down. With the help of a friend, I don't mind doing poodle feet on any breed.

Kvp (bis29.buckeyeweb.net - 63.69.34.29)
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ha My sister-inlaw has a springer and she makes me do poodle feet on her! LOL Keeps the house cleaner. Whatever. I have clipper vac and use a 7F Backwards on the tops of the feet and a#15 for in between the toes and around the nails and a #40 in the pads.

On cocker strips and all others I too get the foot real clean Usually a #10 or #15 clipper vac closed with the grain in the tops and a #40 in the pad and #15 or sometimes #40 around the nail and foot edge.

On poodle feet I use clippervac closed with a #40 (#15 if sensitive or thin hair) WITH THE GRAIN I also set the cuffs at the same time 3 zips or so down the top of the foot spread the toes and clean out the webbing and flip clean out the pad and spread the toe and clean aroung the nail and in the webbing again from behind. Clean feet in seconds. No stray hairs and barley any scissoring of the cuffs. Viola!

As far as columb feet i do the same as Parti described. Pull the toes hairs down. I like a tight foot and very clean pads.

For hairy golden feet and such brush hair up (all hair including inbetween the toes)#5f clippervac closed with the grain on the tops of the feet and spread the toes and get that stinky inbetween toe hairs that grow out real bushy and fast. #40 or #15 shave out pad clean and outside edges (pull hair down from inbetween the toes). Brush up agian and scissor neatly with direction of hair growth. Do not expose toenails , nice cat foot like appearance.

Having had a crabby sheltie type mix growing up I learned this trick long ago. He had extemely hairy feet . The Feet stay neat for a long time. My golden clients appreciate the fact the feet don't need trimming again 2 weeks later.

kstefanski
Registered Member
Username: kstefanski

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 64.136.26.228
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi particentral,

I love your website. I have a question about
scissoring cocker feet. What exactly do you mean by beveling. I made already do this, but I am not familiar with this term.

Thanks!

vehs
Registered Member
Username: vehs

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 203-34-140-230.netspeed.com.au
Posted on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 1:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,
I thought I would revive this topic rather than start a new one.
Seeing as many of you now seem to have digital cameras could I ask for some pictures of feet to compare my work to?

I did a tidy on a dog today (I really wanted to clip it down because it was already far too long for the owner to maintain throughout winter) and the feed ended up looking like hand sissored poodle feet! Ridiculous on such a long coated dog. So I would like to see some photos of neat feet on longer haired dogs as well as dogs done in a 7F/5F -- if possible seeing the underside of the foot would also be helpful.
I hope some of you can post a few pictures :-)

vehs
Registered Member

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 203-34-140-151.netspeed.com.au
Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL thanks for your reply - I don't know if it would be helpful but a picture of tidy pom feet would be nice

actually Cavalier and Pom feet are simple to get looking neat - it is the SWF I have a lot of trouble with.

vehs
Registered Member

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 203-34-140-226.netspeed.com.au
Posted on Thursday, April 7, 2005 - 1:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SWF - small white fluffy, a maltese, shih tzu or maltese Xs

I had a talk with my groomer mentor about how I had lost my mojo when it came to feet. She's lost her tidying face mojo. Anyway she gave me some pointers

Still any photos might help others that read this thread.

schnauzershop
Registered Member
Username: schnauzershop

Post Number: 95
Posted From: ip70-185-66-254.ma.dl.cox.net
Posted on Saturday, April 9, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a shih-tzu I shaved in a 7F reverse clip the other day. Here is her foot before and her foot after. I clip the body in the 7F reversed, then do a 10F forward on the top of the foot, then take a #30 and do the pads and between toes (like poodles), then around the nail. It helps to use a clipper vac turned up a bit as to pull the hair up as you clip. I do all of my shaves like this...

Her nails look a little long, but they are dremel'd to the quick. They were twice the length they are now. Her rear left dew claw was curled completely around and back to itself about the size of a dime. She hadn't been groomed since last September... a shame as she is a sweetie

This is last years clip... this year I cleaned the face and left the ears.

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 1844
Posted From: ppp-67-121-238-230.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 1:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a sweet little dog. It's a shame they let them get like that! Nice job!

betty154
Registered Member
Username: betty154

Post Number: 1499
Posted From: 216.135.106.189
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still have problems beveling cocker feet(after many years)...anyone have any tricks to make the process easier?
Cheryl

mitzi
Registered Member
Username: mitzi

Post Number: 911
Posted From: 192.34.35.17
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After I shave inside the pads with a 40 blade, I cup the foot so the hair is pushed up, then come off the pads with the same blade to cut off excess hair. Does that make sense? I am holding the foot up like shoeing a horse, and all the hair that comes above the pad is clipped off. Skim the blade parallel with the pad. Don't come up the side of the foot. The key is making sure the hair is really pushed close, not fluffy. The same technique would work with scissors, I just like the speed and convenience of the clippers and vacuum. This sets a good start for a bevel on Cockers and Drop coated breeds. After that I drop the foot and take my curves and comb to the bevel to neaten. Follow the same angle you just set (about 45') and shape. You should not need to do much unless it is a really thick coat and strays pop out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.