Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

How do I do tasseled ears exactly? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » POODLES/Portugese Water Dogs » How do I do tasseled ears exactly? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

azella
Registered Member
Username: azella

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 24.131.107.249
Posted on Saturday, August 5, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok I just recently saw that tasseled ears are an actual variation of the poodle ear and have been dying to try them ever since. Got my first owner to allow me to do them (cause the dogs ears were matted except for the tip) and they turned out nice but i'm not sure if I did them the way i was supposed to. I did a search but didn't come up with a description on this so if anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction I would be thrilled. A picture would be the epitome of happiness. I would like to know about how long past the ear should i do the tassel (teardrop or diamond) and is their a trick to cutting them or do i just play around with thinners till they look cute? Thankyou very much.

lorgul
Registered Member
Username: lorgul

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 209.242.233.200
Posted on Sunday, August 6, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

never done them on a poodle, but i do a lot of bedlingtons, i start with the up-side-down v on the tip of the ear, shave the rest of the ear, then scissor in a diamond shape (i just use reg shears) sometimes bevel it a bit. the length, i would just go by the type of trim and what looks proportionate, the bedli tassles are not real long, you may want to leave more length on the poodle, there may be a pic in the terrier section

k9er
Registered Member
Username: k9er

Post Number: 308
Posted From: 70.177.103.60
Posted on Monday, August 7, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to the photo album and click on "Other Photos" At the top of the list will be two threads on poodle tassels posted by thistle.

qbert
Registered Member
Username: qbert

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 169.139.188.193
Posted on Wednesday, August 9, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

except that many if not most of those photos have been replaced since the thread was posted... some cuties but fewer tassels.
I do my Mini's tassels just like a Bedlington; I've also had great results simply doing 'Spaniel' ears and trimming the ends either straight across or 'half-round'(especially on larger Minis/ Standards, I don't like the spaniel-ear look as much on most Toys)

gelana
Registered Member
Username: gelana

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 70.176.15.14
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do an inverted "V" about 2 thirds the way down the ear, ajust acording to lenght of the leather. I prefer to leave the tassels long but if the ears are always matted or the owner wants them short I trim them straight across the bottom. I do a couple of standards with tassels. They look ok I don't really like them on the smaller poodles.

gelana
Registered Member
Username: gelana

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 70.176.15.14
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do an inverted "V" about 2 thirds the way down the ear, ajust acording to lenght of the leather. I prefer to leave the tassels long but if the ears are always matted or the owner wants them short I trim them straight across the bottom. I do a couple of standards with tassels. They look ok I don't really like them on the smaller poodles.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.