Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Lion Clip on a chow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques » NORTHERN & OTHER DOUBLE COATED BREEDS » Lion Clip on a chow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Particentral (64.12.107.162)
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did this clip today.......clip

topdogette (205.188.198.59)
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Parti - are you talented !!! I could never clip that palm tree on a dog muchless the file folder :) J/K you - after a day like today, I need a laugh.

Becky (209.240.222.32)
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I couldn't see your pics, but I would imagine it was cute. I do several chows and when it comes to the summer look that is what my customers have become a custom to is the lion cut. I haven't put the tail of the lion except one. They absolutely look fabulious. I seem to have quite a few chows and it seems most groomers in our area do not want or won't do them. My chow clients have wonderful chows. The only problem is legs and nails which we do if possible. Seems most chows are very bad for nails and grooming leg areas are some what difficult for them. I love my chow clients, only had one that I refused to redo in all my years, first it was a cross and it bit myself and the owner. Next year when they called to do again for a cut down and bath I refused. They begged me to please take their dog as nobody else would do it. GEE I wounder why??? I felt bad but I just couldn't take that chance.

Particentral (205.188.199.157)
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GRRRRR I had cancelled that post! But the way today went I am not surprised! If it wasn't hairy, filthy and matted I didn't see it today! The pictures were not light enough to see, but here we go again.
Actually the reason I posted this is someone(whos name and email I lost) asked for one............

Particentral (205.188.199.157)
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This one is better lion

Qtk9 (64.252.112.55)
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful picture, parti! The chows I get, unfortunately, are matted around their collar area, so, the lion trim starts right after their head. I've seen the lion clip done on a samoyed, too, but I thought it looked kind of silly!

Becky (209.240.222.32)
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have mostly full coated in good shape. I use my COAT KING for weeding out the bulk or matting. I do start my line though from the middle of the shoulders point round the lower shoulder point in a curve to the front chest under the closest arm to arm pit just like the mane of the the male lion runs and take down the other side as well in the same pattern. I usually try and even of the legs and they look like they blend. I do this pattern on my lion cat trim. I use to use the same pattern as you have here, but since I got daring and artistic I like the way it comes out giving a real lion maine look to it. I also have put my poms in this also. I have had a lot of request for this look. I just love being creative when I am given the chance.

Fidos (66.76.3.232)
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Becky it sounds like your lion clip is sort of like mine. This is a Lion Clip that I do a Pekingese. He is very sweet his name is Ewok.
Ewok

Louie (63.154.112.137)
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 7:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that is the CUTEST Peke I ever saw! Great groom Fidos!

Parti, I loved that Chow-lion also!!!!!

Becky (209.240.222.32)
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yea, you got it perfectly. It is so cute. I just think it really sets those big mane dogs and cats off so cute. The chows with those squared off noses and body type and just that certain eye remind me of a lion. I did do one who was once a year and mom doesn't do much in getting to the under coat so it was really tuff get that one done. But it turned out to have a panda look. The chow was black so when I did it the legs tail face where black but the body was light grey. I had to make the bear head. No mane. So I called it my bear panda look. The chow is great but don't touch lower legs or nails. The vet won't even do this guys nails. He will let me muzzel him but I just can't put him through it or me. He litterly bounces off the wall. He is one of the smallest chows I do but he has a lot of bounce for the ounce. I just am with out the stamina to try and hang on. LOL

ange (203.173.160.209)
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 6:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why do a lion clip at all???
JMHO, but I think they look stupid,
Not your grooming skills, the style it self seems weird.

Rev (152.163.206.187)
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 6:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's helpful with a dog that has skin or parasite problems, and it reduces the amount of home brushing for a heavy-coated dog or one who hates being groomed or whose owners can't do heavy brushing. It does leave a little bit of style especially around the face, and there are dogs (chows come to mind!) who are especially fussy about being groomed around face and head. And, each to his own preferences, many people think it looks pretty sharp; I rather like it on some dogs, especially poms.

Ange (203.173.168.235)
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rev,
I'm doing a Pom, tommorrow, which will be his 2nd groom from me, the last time I saw him he had a very bad skin condition and not much of a coat, so I told the owners,he has since had a course of antis and weekly medicated shampoos, so I'm hopeing his skin will be looking better.
He is one candidate for a "lion clip", but I'm not sure, I will do him short, the thing is he doesn't have much of a coat anyway, certainly not enough to leave a regal mane such as the above photo.
Any way we only have our raw materials to work with, I guess the most important thing is the skin condition is being sorted out, sorry I'm rambling a bit.
Is a Lion clip right back to the skin or does it leave a bit of fur?
Angie.

Particentral (205.188.200.31)
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used a 5 on that chow, and have a pom we do in a zero comb on the shorter end. It is also a great idea for dogs who are matted in the rear. That was the case with this chow. Mom was worried about sun damage on the skin, but I knew it had to come off, so we compromised! The pom we do gets done this way to shorten the coat and make it easy for them to care for it, without shaving the dog. I do not always take off the front, but sometimes I do, like Fidos did. This was the first time in her 7 years this dog has come in matted. The first clip. I felt like it was the least shocking to the owner to trim her this way.

Rev (205.188.193.31)
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 6:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done the body part on poms & such with everything from a 10 to a 3 3/4 blade. And the front may be from the shoulder-blade line forward as Becky described, or something closer to the head, even as little as a 2" "face-frame", depending on the purpose of the clip. I don't leave the front shaggy, but scissor to neaten and balance--the narrower ruff that's left the closer I'll scissor it--I don't want the dog to look too front-heavy, but I like a nice full neck-arch for a wide ruff. I don't shave the legs naked on a lion clip, but scissor and blend to balance, from elbow and hock down. If there's no particular reason for or against a narrow ruff, I go by what will look most balanced on the dog--a long-bodied dog will probably get more of a full ruff, while a short-coupled dog may get a narrower one. Tails are pretty optional too--anything from a full tail to a lion tail; again if there's no other consideration I go by what balances best for the particular dog and tail carriage.

ange (203.173.165.89)
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for the first post of mine no offence meant, I must have been in a grumpy mood...
I do love this site and all the help that comes from you guys.
You explain things very well to a "newbie"...
I was just thinking about another Pom that came to me in a lion clip (Mum did it herself, and admitted that she did a "s****ty" job"),
her words not mine,LOL.
Anyway all I could do for that dog was to try to even up the clipping that she had done and I did blend the "mane" to suit the dog.
Mentioned to"mum" that when the coat grows in a bit ( it was back to the skin in places, lots of clipper lines etc.),
that i could get a more even finish if/when there was a bit more coat to work with.

tilly (64.12.102.37)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 5:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ange we each have our own taste and myself I am not crazy about these lion cuts either I do it different and do not leave the mane on the chest if we need to shave for whatever reason we do the entire body and leave a round head most times or blend the head (owners choice) and many times use a clip on blade. Thats just the way I prefer to do it I don't like the full chest either so much!

Rovermadeover (202.7.217.5)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the whole time I have groomed in Australia I have never ever seen a lion groom on any breed other than a Lowchen. Australian dog owners are not that sophisticated and I am very surprised that Ange's owner had attempted this themselves especially if they then approach a self taught groomer to fix it. I think it looks okay from the posted photos but most Aussies are too scared their dogs are going to look "poofy" (no offence meant) to the point they don't want perfume, bows, ribbons etc to then try something to draw attention to their dog. No offence meant Ange but post a picture before I'll believe it.

doggygirl (142.154.31.34)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ange, I don't like the look of them either, but if someone wanted it, I would do it. I have a lot of poms in an "O" comb all over and I really, really love that look.

Rev (205.188.197.54)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 3:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a bit shorter (#4 body) than ideal IMO, but was intended to last and look good for a long time:

Piper

Becky (209.240.222.32)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A real cutie, I like the look, it is smart and balanced, Especially for the parti-color dog. Really nice job, Rev.

Rev (205.188.197.54)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Becky. He looked lots better balanced when he had his tail up over his back, which was most of the time except when there was a camera!

Becky (209.240.222.32)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, Rev, do you think she is camera shy or does she expect you to pay her like the centerfold that Bluebonbon's shihtzu get? LOL

Rev (205.188.197.54)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He sure worked best for pay! LOL

Puppymom (65.128.173.113)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's very cute, Rev. I like it like that. I have a little pom like that too, but don't think she would hold still for me to do that to. It's hard enough just to get the shed out of her. Nuts for brushing.

Ange (203.173.165.8)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rovermadeover, I have got 2 photos of this Pom (before photos, I didn't even bother taking an after photo) Mind you this is what the owner did not me,
I agree re: Aussies not wanting bows etc.. had that comment from a client yesterday, ( that the last time the dog was groomed it came back with bows and the male owner, felt really embarassed picking up this little Maltese with bows etc..).
By the way Rev I do like the job you did on that dog,it looks nice and natural.
Do you really want to see the hack job done by the owner???
That means I'll have to work out how to upload a photo, Ill do it later.
Ange.

Louie (63.154.115.208)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 7:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rev, if you don't mind, I would love to print that photo and save for reference...I LOVE it! great groom! (really nice photography also!)

Rovermadeover (202.7.217.3)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ange,
You don't really have to post pics though it's probably good experience. Sorry for a rude post I didn't mean it to come across that way - no excuses.
Wonderful job Rev what a cutie he is!

Rev (152.163.206.183)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, folks! You're welcome to the pic, of course. :) But as for the photography.. thanks, Louie, but look close and you can see that I painted out a really busy background so the dog could even be seen! LOL

Rev (152.163.206.183)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a really short (#7 I think) "lion" with just a face frame and a short body--hey, that's what the owner wanted! :) I left the tail full to sort of balance the head.

phoo

Becky (209.240.222.32)
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rev, that is what I call my poms in the fox clipp. It looks so cute on the poms, nice job on that one too!!

Ange (203.173.165.213)
Posted on Saturday, May 4, 2002 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rovermadeover, Glad to meet an Aussie in here.
I know you have tried to e me to no avail, do you have an address that you would be OK about giving out via the message board, so I can try e-mailing you?
I've been fiddling around with the pictures and can't get them less than 55 kb, will have to get help from hubby.
I do want to do it as you say rover it's good practise.
I'll keep trying.

How did you think you were offensive to me Rover? Did you mean the part about "self taught groomer". I was a little hurt by that remark as I am striving to be the best groomer that I can be.
Anyway no offence taken,
Ange.

Rovermadeover (202.7.199.4)
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ange, this keyboard may crash again it keeps repeating random letters and won't always do capital letters and if i backspace it wipes out a whole line, it's annoying to have to keep changing every word - it's being replaced as soon as possible. Anyway, I didn't like the sound or tone of my whole message when i read it after posting and referring to self taught groomers as i did was totally uncalled for. i apologise for hurting your feelings but i thought it was harsh for an owner to do an unusual groom (by australian standards/experience and expect someone with not a lot of experience to fixit) of course owners don't know how experienced or not we are anyway. it pisses me off when someone asks if i'm qualified when making a new booking as i could easily lie if i wasn't and as it mostly turns out these type of owners wouldn't know the difference anyway. plus me saying "post a picture before I'll believe it" sounds like a bully challenge even tho i didn't mean it that way. besides which saying "In the whole time I have groomed in Australia I have never ever seen a lion groom" sounds like i know everything ...... i think in future i'll just go to bed when i'm tired rather than crap on. apologies & see ya later

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.