Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

What breeds does furminator work best... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Product Discussions/Comparisons » MISCELLANEOUS PRODUCTS » What breeds does furminator work best, is it worth it. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ncylou
Registered Member
Username: ncylou

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 98.117.213.206
Posted on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I work at a vet and through one of our suppliers I can get the furminator tools and shampoo/rinse at about 1/2 price.
I do get requests for extra shed outs, but don't charge extra for a bit of work. I feel if they are getting a professional groom I should remove as much hair as possible.
But if I'm offering a brand and a system that is pretty well known, I might offer it as an add on.
Does this stuff really work?
I have the small FM and use it some, but perhaps with the shampoo and rinse it would remove more hair.
I use Best Shot on my shedders and double coats and love it.
I think the main thing would be the name recognition and then charging extra.
Making any sense????

groomnpoodles
Registered Member
Username: groomnpoodles

Post Number: 1206
Posted From: 71.32.145.117
Posted on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I charge additionally for de-shedding-- it's an extra service. I use Natures Specialties Coconut Clean shampoo and Shedding solution mostly, but for the really heavy coated dogs I use Best Shot products. I find I get better results with a 40 blade than I do with the Furminator anyway. For the longer coated dogs, I use Coat Kings. When I'm checking in a new dog, I explain the de-shedding process, pull out my de-shedding 40 blade (it has a broken tooth, so I know which one it is) and comb it between the shoulders a couple times to pull out dead hair and that's all it takes to sell the added service. LOL
Grooming under the Tetons

wizardofpaws
Registered Member
Username: wizardofpaws

Post Number: 749
Posted From: 207.69.139.160
Posted on Sunday, September 7, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have a furminator, but I do have the cheaper knock off--the "Shed Ender". It works marginally. What I have found that works AMAZINGLY for pulling out dead coat on a variety of breed longer than a Doberman (labs, goldens, cavs, cockers, cairns, etc. . .) Is actually just a stripping knife. I don't 'pluck' with it in these cases, I just comb through the coat with it and OMG, the hair I can get out! I pick that up before the shed ender.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be there sitting beside you saying "Man, that was fun!"

rpg
Registered Member
Username: rpg

Post Number: 1021
Posted From: 69.7.240.237
Posted on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 6:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find the FURminator works marginally as well. I like it on short coated Labs, Huskies, thick short coated breeds.
My problem getting my mind around this is:
how do yo advertise this? The wording the comes to mind would only impress upon clients that the old way was inferior....???

New and improved FURminator technique..... gets out more undercoat, no shedding in your home for even longer........
but if you don't pay for it, you're getting the (inferior?) method???

I agree with nyclou: I think it should be part and parcel with the grooming. Paying for a professional groom should receive professional/best methods...... yes?

sandy
Registered Member
Username: sandy

Post Number: 2080
Posted From: 70.140.22.94
Posted on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you buy the Furminator products from the company, they send you brochures to hand out to your clients, plus large and small decals for the door of your shop. They also add your shop name and address to their website, so people can find a shop near them online.

In my advertising (paid for by the vet clinic) I have my shop name and the words "Ask about Furminator De-Shed System" underneath.

I have found that the shampoo is unnecessary. I get the same results with regular shampoo, but the rinse(solution) is essential. I like it for shepherds, aussies, and labs, but it works well on nearly any breed WHEN IT IS BLOWING COAT. If the dog is not in an active shedding cycle it works much less well.That sounds obvious but it's not a miracle tool, it will only get out hair that's there to be got, make sense? I always promise to get what I can (it is unlikely that a client would bring the dog for de shedding when it's not actively shedding right then anyway) but there are some clients who want it at every groom, no matter what.

I charge according to size: giant, large, medium, small.

The staff knows to book me no more than two Furminators in any given day, because on large dogs especially, it is hard on the hand and shoulder.

sandy
Registered Member

Post Number: 2081
Posted From: 70.140.22.94
Posted on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to add that yes I do have better results than just HV'ing out the dead coat. When we first added the Furminator I just told the clients we had a new way to de-shed, and explained about the tool and the solution, etc. I don't think it makes anyone think what we did before was inferior, it's just a matter of new techniques and products evolving all the time.

I chose the obvious specimens to tell the owners about it, the shedding aussies and labs, rotties, etc. and explained it- I am NOT a hard-seller and always ended the speech with "give it a thought-maybe next time you'll want to try it" and nearly every single time they said, oh no, do it NOW! "I also always said, it adds such-and-such to the price of the groom for his size"- so they wouldn't think it was just included. I said that part right up front, along with the description of the product. This was all done very casually, while I was taking the dog from them to bring back to the grooming area or whatever. I also had lots of inquiries from the decal on the door.

hairyterrier
Registered Member
Username: hairyterrier

Post Number: 1284
Posted From: 74.192.66.98
Posted on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love my furminator tool and I do charge extra when I use it, especially when there is still a ton of hair after HVing the dog and I have to use the furminator for 20-30+ minutes. It's great on all those Aussies, Labs, GSDs, Huskies, Mals and even shorthaired dogs like Boxers and Pitbulls. Of all this type tool, I do prefer the Furminator brand. I have the Laube one also and it's OK but I can get more out, easier with the furminator. The furminator brand has the blade straight up perpendicular to the dogs body while the Laube has a slight angle to it.

Getting on my soapbox now (I hear those groans:-) If you are using just a blade or the shed ender type tools, you are damaging your thumbs!!! I cannot grip a blade to deshed if my life depended on it. I bought a shedender on clearance, tried it and suffered instant pain. Chunked it right into my trash can. You really need to find some type of tool that will allow you to deshed without putting all that pressure on your thumbs. You need a handle to wrap your hand around. Remember, for every pound of pressure to your thumb that you use to grip a blade or to brace your thumb against a shedender, you are putting 9 pounds of pressure on the thumb joint next to your wrist and you will eventually wear out that joint, sooner rather than later. Two thumb joint replacements later, I know. OK, off my soap box:-)

wizardofpaws
Registered Member
Username: wizardofpaws

Post Number: 755
Posted From: 209.86.226.14
Posted on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good point HT, that's why I don't use my thumbs at all! :-) Just grab the handle in my hand and 'pull' on the coat. I would think that WOULD be really awkward and uncomfortable if you used it with your thumb sticking out.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be there sitting beside you saying "Man, that was fun!"

hairyterrier
Registered Member
Username: hairyterrier

Post Number: 1285
Posted From: 74.192.66.98
Posted on Monday, September 8, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I tried it, it was difficult to hold on to and the only way I could get it steady was to wrap my hand around the handle and brace my thumb against it, then pull it through the hair. Talk about hurt! Probably because my hands are so huge, but I just couldn't hold on to it.

twiggy
Registered Member
Username: twiggy

Post Number: 447
Posted From: 76.186.241.221
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the furminator tool damage double coated breeds? It was my understanding that it would damage primary hairs in its wake

jazzgirl06
Registered Member
Username: jazzgirl06

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 68.174.60.205
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 4:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The furminator solution is the most wonderful thing I've ever used. It pulled so much dead hair out of my springer it was unbelievable.

I did the full treatment (deshedding shampoo, furminator solution, total force dry, bruhsing) on a golden retriever the other night. The entire salon was covered in hair, the entire tub room looked like it had "snowed". It was insane. The owners walked in before I vacuumed and were shocked.

I have found though, the brush itself only works on certain dogs. Sometimes I have to use a rake to get a better result.

pasobrio
Registered Member
Username: pasobrio

Post Number: 2508
Posted From: 66.140.74.255
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't even use the furminator solution anymore, I found it hard to rinse out. I seem to be able to get out just as much undercoat with any conditioner. Lately I have been using Davis Detangling shampoo and spritzed all over with Bark to Basics DeMat works like a charm and the fur flys!
<'\__~
<\ )\
If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say, Don't Say Anything at All. Where's the fun in that?

distinctivedog
Registered Member
Username: distinctivedog

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 75.184.114.90
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just thought I'd share that the Furminator shampoo and solution are just relabeled Tropiclean products. I'm not that familiar with the Tropiclean line, so I'm not sure WHICH of the products they use. At least, that is what I was told by another St. Louis groomer (who said he was told by an Tropiclean assoiciate). I know that Tropiclean and Furminator are both St. Louis based companies.
Brandi

sandy
Registered Member

Post Number: 2226
Posted From: 70.140.17.228
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It IS hard to rinse out. It is my understanding though, that it's OK to leave some in, as you would any leave-in conditioner. I am sure I have left some in, and have not had any oily-looking coats or anything like that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.