Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Vinegar rinse for dogs? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Product Discussions/Comparisons » COAT & SKIN PRODUCTS » Vinegar rinse for dogs? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

miamya
Registered Member
Username: miamya

Post Number: 310
Posted From: 71.72.169.225
Posted on Tuesday, October 6, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know at one time vinegar was discussed here as a rinse that some groomers use. What was the ratio and is it good for bad skin during allergy season?

scullysmom1
Registered Member
Username: scullysmom1

Post Number: 869
Posted From: 97.83.157.175
Posted on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 - 7:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gosh, I used about one shot glass to a gallon, simetimes a wee bit more. If you use too much your dog will smell like a salad. I don't know if this is correct measurement though

bbird
Registered Member
Username: bbird

Post Number: 896
Posted From: 69.9.27.253
Posted on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a vinegar rinse does is to temporarily lower the pH of the skin, to be more acidic. This makes the skin resistant to bacteria, as bacteria like an alkaline pH. Because the dog's saliva is more alkaline, when they lick and chew themselves they make areas of higher pH that are more friendly to bacteria. The saliva also contains bacteria, so they introduce bacteria as well.

The vinegar rinse temporarily counteracts this, killing some of those extra bacteria, and creating a more acidic, unfriendly-to-bacteria skin environment. It is quite temporary, however, and the skin quickly restores to a normal pH. This allows the process to begin all over, if the dog is still licking or chewing.

The other thing that the vinegar rinse will do is act as a clarifier, removing any shampoo residue in the coat, making the hair less good for pollen to adhere. I think.

A vinegar rinse is also recommended for dogs that have a chronic odor problem, like some labs or goldens. Old dogs with funky smelly skin can also benefit. The odor usually disappears as the hair dries.

The formula is very flexible, anything from 1-2 oz per gallon to a cup per gallon will be fine. More is not necessarily better, although a slightly more concentrated solution might be more antibacterial.
BBird writes for groomers - http://Groomblog.blogspot.com

lori_a
Registered Member
Username: lori_a

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 74.106.85.195
Posted on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barbara, are we supposed to rinse off the vinegar rinse?

underdog
Registered Member
Username: underdog

Post Number: 1304
Posted From: 69.46.216.55
Posted on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm always wary with this. Who wants their dog smelling like vinegar? The vinegar odor must stay on the coat. Doesn't it?
Well-behaved women seldom make history- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

scullysmom1
Registered Member

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your dilution is week enough, your dog will smell like nothing. We used it alot in the kennel for pee pee doggies. I have seen it work wonders on a schn with really bad skin

kaymay
Registered Member
Username: kaymay

Post Number: 440
Posted From: 76.247.141.27
Posted on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use it after shampoo but before the conditioner. I've never had a dog smell like vinegar. I always use it after skunk baths.

I also use vinegar to disinfect my shampoo bottles.

hairofthedawg
Registered Member
Username: hairofthedawg

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 76.14.33.253
Posted on Wednesday, October 7, 2009 - 7:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a set of 4 afghan hounds that I use this on. They always come in with gooey, overconditioned coats. I use it after the wash and before the condition. I use mine on the stronger side because they also itch/lick. It's worked wonders on them and the coats are SO fluffy. In this case I actually use apple cider vinegar. I have also used it to help clean up acne on my mastiff. In his case I put a weaker solution in a spray bottle, misted it on and left it. Cleared up the acne and got rid of that 'wrinkley face smell'. You know the smell..... the pugs, bulldawgs, sharpeis and mastiffs think it's all the rage.
Do what you do, like you love what you do.

mattypdog
Registered Member
Username: mattypdog

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 216.95.115.39
Posted on Thursday, October 8, 2009 - 6:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So do you spray it on and rub it in? Do you let it sit on the coat before rinsing?

kkohio
Registered Member
Username: kkohio

Post Number: 1674
Posted From: 4.131.47.195
Posted on Thursday, October 8, 2009 - 6:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use about 1/4 cup to a gallon, depending on the dog. I use it mostly for stinky dogs. Yes, I do rinse. I haven't had the problem of the smell, although the ones that I do, they smell much better with vinegar on them than what they smelled like when they came in! LOL! I have left it on the dog, too, not rinsing, just depending on the dog and the smell.

scullysmom1
Registered Member

Post Number: 872
Posted on Thursday, October 8, 2009 - 6:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never rinsed, I did it more like a dip (but I also learned to do it back when we did dip). Perhaps we needed to? we just poured it on and let it dry, or poured it on, towel dryed and fluffed

kkohio
Registered Member
Username: kkohio

Post Number: 1675
Posted From: 4.131.40.242
Posted on Friday, October 9, 2009 - 6:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have also used it when I have put too much shampoo on the dog. Cuts through it right away. Haven't done that very often, as I use the Bowser Blaster, but on occasion, I have had to use shampoo right out of the bottle, and did use way too much. Hard to rinse off, so I gave a vinegar rinse, and off it comes!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.