Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Smelly Shar-Pei Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Product Discussions/Comparisons » ODOR/STAIN/GREASE REMOVERS » Smelly Shar-Pei « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

pawfurmance
Registered Member
Username: pawfurmance

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 64.228.150.13
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright, i groom this sharpei once a week. She has the worst of smells. I know the fact she is a sharpei doesnt help and she is old to boot. Her ears have a bad smell that i cant get rid of. Also, i cant seem to get the smell out. I have tried medicated shampoos, tried listerine, tea tree oil...and the smell doesnt want to go away. Last year, the vet put her on antibiotics and told her she needed a bath 3 times a week with nizoral shampoo. We had to do this for 3 weeks then dropped it to 2 times a week for a couple of weeks then just the regular once a week. It worked for a while but the smell came back fairly quick. I go pick up this dog, and sometimes...i almost throw up the smell is so grosse, they have to keep her in the garage because of this. They have her in the home for a day or 2 after her groom and they set her up with air conditioner and now..heater in the garage and has a kid bed on the floor there for her. The nizoral costs her 15 dollars a bottle and does 2 1/2 shampoos. I am wanting to find a gallon of a shampoo that would do the same thing as the nizoral but no clue which types of shampoos that i would need. She called her vet and he told her to start the course of shampoos again, and we would like to stick to this type of shampoo permanently. I would assume i could find similar shampoo that would be more economical. Any help would be appreciated, i feel really bad for these people, she is a sweet dog and they adore her, i wish they could all enjoy each other more if we could take care of that smell.

waggontails
Registered Member
Username: waggontails

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 216.165.135.198
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

on the next bath try if you have a resuculating system it works better= putting blue mouth wash in with the bath. rince and then with 1/2 water +1/2 mouth wash mix rince over her. I have even used this in the ears on a stinky cocker. it really helpped with the smell. it should last about a week to 2 weeks, but might need 1-2 baths like this to work.
Just something I used on a very bad cocker.
Linda R

peg
Registered Member
Username: peg

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 159.18.1.239
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 1:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What are they feeding the dog? Sorta sounds like this is an ongoing problem that needs to be fixed from the "inside". I would suggest that they try the dog on a food that has no corn, wheat or soy and termporarily put her on a vitamin and mineral supplement as well as digestive enzymes (doggygirl will suggest that they put her on a raw<g> diet and that could work if they're willing). To keep giving her med/deodorizing baths and antibiotics is dealing with the symptoms without treating the underlying cause a.k.a. throwing good $$ after bad. Take care of the icky skin and the odour will take care of itself!
My $01.4

pawfurmance
Registered Member

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, we have tried the mouth wash, it worked for a while then stopped. Now, that is also what we believe is to treat it from the inside. In fact, when i started grooming the dog 4 years ago, she was at her life expectancy then. She was half bald, lost bladder control and was dragging her feet terribly. Ear infections all the time. I had her put her dog on hokamix, a natural supplement, and the dog cant be off it. She will lose her hair again within 2 weeks of being off this stuff. Her hair all grew back, gained back bladder control within 10 days, and started to play. Walks much better. She feed her dog Science Diet, which i know isnt all that good. I also know that there is no way she would feed her dog raw meat as i have suggested it to her in the past.LOL I will try to talk her into a more natural food tho. The dog has a sour smell. I gave her the shampoo today and she smells really good now, which a regular shampoo doesnt achieve. I know the last time we did this course (he had said it was a yeast infection) she smelled the best since i've been grooming her for quite some time, then...the smell slowly started to come back. I has suggested that we maybe start the shampoos again, but....now am thinking maybe we should permanently keep her on this type of shampoo. I am just trying to figure out what dog shampoo i can find that has the same working effect as the nizoral. I want to buy in large quantity to at least save her on that. I will talk to her about the food doggygirl suggested a while back. Thanks it is so frustrating to try to help and send a dog back home still smelling.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 1642
Posted From: 66.142.43.72
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A quick google search finds that Nizoral is used to treat fungal infections. It yeast a type of fungal infection?

Just curious.

Barb

peg
Registered Member
Username: peg

Post Number: 191
Posted From: 159.18.1.224
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask her to bring you the ingredients list off the bag - I'd almost bet that corn is one of the 1st three ingredients. See if you could get her to try a hypo A diet from the vet's if she won't go for the more natural food. She'll need to keep the dog on it for at least a month and possibly up to 3 to see a difference. The foods without corn, wheat and soy ARE more expensive but they may cut down on the expense of all the meds (and get the dog back into the house). Yeasty skin and bad ears are often related to food allergies. Yeast IS a fungus so the Nizoral makes sense for temporary relief (altho the sour smell you mention is one that I usually associate with bacteria - yeast usually has a beery or raw bread doughy smell - perhaps she has a secondary bacterial infection on top of the yeast?) How often is she bathing the dog? You could try alternating baths 2 weeks apart - 1st bath Nizoral, second visit with Betadine surgical scrub (wouldn't want to use the scrub too often for fear of drying/irritating her skin) but the scrub doesn't smell the greatest either.
Another thing about corn in dog foods... corn is ground up (so the dog can digest it) and used as a protein source. Proteins are made from various amino acids (16 I think). Vegetarians need to eat a wide variety of vegetables to insure they get ALL the amino acids they need. A dog on a corn based diet may be getting the correct amount of protien but may NOT be getting all the amino acids it needs for it's body to function properly.

vroomvroom
Registered Member
Username: vroomvroom

Post Number: 457
Posted From: 24.99.73.148
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I work in a vet clinic and we use Pyoben for the dogs with skin infections. It is an antibacterial and anti fungal. It does come in the gallon size jugs which cost somewhere around $65. If you dont have a local supplier, do an internet search, there are several national suppliers. It is a tough shampoo to use because it has the consistency of elmers glue. Best thing to do is shampoo first with another shampoo to break down the acid mantle and coat oil, then use the pyoben. Vet med also makes a shampoo which is an antifungal, it smells like a hospital corridor but it is cheaper than the pyoben.

pawfurmance
Registered Member

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, i'll have to look further into all this. I dont think she would have a problem with the food change. Her husband is a chiropractor and acupunturist, they believe in natural. The dog comes in once a week for her bath. Right now, she will be coming in on mondays, wednesdays and fridays as the vet said. He also said to do a normal shampoo on her first, then the nizoral, and then conditioner. We did this last year and she didnt have a dry skin problem. Now...as for the yeast...when my little girl (a pom) was going bald, she had a bacterial infection, it came back and i asked if maybe it could be a yeast infection, the vet told me that a yeast infection is usually the symptom of another type of infection such as bacterial or fungal. I will try to find a supplier for that pyoben. I noticed on a search this afternoon that nova pearls (i believe) suggested 2-3 baths a week at the beginning of the problem. It got me wondering if that is maybe a good shampoo to keep her on after this treatment with the nizoral. I can tell you...when we brought her home, there was no smell in the car. The shampoo made a huge difference and when she shook while in the tub, this black stuff was coming off her. Anymore suggestions would be appreciate it. I mean...she doesnt mind spending the money as she certainly can afford it, but i feel guilty for charging her for a bath 3 times a week and to think she has to spend 15 dollars for a bottle of shampoo that lasts for 2 grooms.

waggontails
Registered Member

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 216.165.135.235
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The vets here use the nizoral(spelling??) for yeast and bacterial infections. I think that they use this on any that they can not get treatment to work on. Have they done a blood panel on this pooch??? It might be a place to start.
Linda R

niki_rickett
Registered Member
Username: niki_rickett

Post Number: 549
Posted From: 63.246.220.15
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 5:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you putting powder in the folds after they are dry? Can't remember where I heard that from but using cornstarch (lightly) in the folds helps absorb the excess moisture and oil that builds up helping to keep the area dry, therefore inhibiting fungus. Another good shampoo is Clorhexiderm 4% (sp).
NIKI

darkangel_737
Registered Member
Username: darkangel_737

Post Number: 347
Posted From: 24.25.27.54
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 6:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a couple of suggestions. My first one is always to put an allergic stinky dog on Prozyme food supplement. As far as the shampoo, I like the Baking Soda shampoo by I think Top Performance. A good long soak in that does a good job of deodorizing. You can also use Micro Tek shampoo by Eqyss for general skin cruds, and I have been using Tropiclean's Oxy Med rinse with good results.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 1643
Posted From: 66.142.43.72
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

but i feel guilty for charging her for a bath 3 times a week and to think she has to spend 15 dollars for a bottle of shampoo that lasts for 2 grooms.

There is NO reason you should feel guilty!! YOU didn't make them get a dog. YOU didn't force them to stick with one Dr rather than getting second or third opinions until they could get her properly treated. THEY can just as easily get a hose hook up for the bath tub at home and do her themselves.

Barb

pawfurmance
Registered Member

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL I know, i know. They have actually been to a couple of vets before who wouldnt even do anything at all about it claiming its just old dog, sharpei smell. When she went to this vet..he made her do the course of shampoos and she didnt smell so bad for a long time tho her ears always have a bad smell. I am this time putting the shampoo right in the ears. It's my own problem for feeling bad, i know she doesnt mind it and always tips me very well. I guess maybe i feel bad cuz i could never afford a dog like that, but i know they have lots of $$$. }

scout
Registered Member
Username: scout

Post Number: 218
Posted From: 67.60.103.30
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's my vote:
First shampoo: D'Limonene based shampoo (soak 5 minutes)
Second shampoo: Bark2Basics Skin Remedy Shampoo ("exceptionally effective for controlling bacteria, fungus, yeast, ringworm, and flaky skin..aids in cleaning and healing sores and wounds...deep cleans without drying")..and smells great! (soak 10 min)
I agree with darkangel 737's recommendation to end with a Tropiclean Oxy Med Treatment. (soak a minimum of 15 min..then rinse).
For the ears...WonderEar powder. It is the only thing that worked on my Std Poo who is afflicted with sebaceous adenitis and had chronic stinky, icky ear until I used this product.
Food: naturally, I recommend raw food as that is what I feed the crew here. :-)
Have they taken her to a veterinary dermatologist yet?
Good luck, pawfurmance.
Regards,
Scout

waggontails
Registered Member

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 216.165.135.203
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With this dog, I was wondering just what you or the client was using to clean out the ears. This dog might be a canidate for a differnt ear cleaner, like wonder ear, or a good homeade one that will clean and stop the infections.
Just a wonder.
Linda R

scottygirl
Registered Member
Username: scottygirl

Post Number: 216
Posted From: 65.129.32.26
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 6:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Definitely a change of diet is absolutely, positively necessary -- immediately. That is probably why the dog smells so quickly after being bathed.

I groom a very stinky little scottie (not my own, although he gets smelly sometimes too!). Here's what I use, and it makes a big difference w/ the odor problem. I have insisted that the owners switch food, but they have yet to do that (dummies):

-Bathe w/ Odor-Clenz shampoo (Professional Pet), left on for a couple of minutes.
-Follow up w/ Benzoyl Peroxide shampoo (DermaPet makes a good one), leave on for 10 mins.
-Clean ears with Veterinarian's Best ear relief wash (contains clove oil plus other ingredients). This stuff is the best that I've found to completely eliminate ear odor; I wipe down the entire inside of the ear flap w/ it too.

annie_in_ny
Registered Member
Username: annie_in_ny

Post Number: 116
Posted From: user-12lcsa0.cable.mindspring.com
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 6:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SCOPE !! is the best. I had a cocker that I washed 4 times and still smelled !! I smelled, the grooming room smelled. I was told I could not let the dog go home smelling like that. I had tried everything. Then one of the vet tech's said she remembered something about mouth wash. I was able to look at this board at work !!! I rinsed the dog using the hydro surge, and %50 water %50 blue scope and it worked !!!

It also removed a lot of the oils that had prevented the dog from drying all day. !!! Along with Dawn Dish soap, Scope will always be in my little bag of goodies !!

Thanks so much for the advice

pasobrio
Registered Member
Username: pasobrio

Post Number: 206
Posted From: adsl-66-142-55-159.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

50% & 50%? Sounds like a lot since it takes about 2 gallons of water just to get my hydrosurge going. Sounds like a good idea though, might help the breath too lol.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 3215
Posted From: stjhnbsuh71-156034005172.nb.aliant.net
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 5:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like using vinegar also.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.