Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Removal of " COCKER CRUD" HELP!!!!!!... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Product Discussions/Comparisons » COAT & SKIN PRODUCTS » Removal of " COCKER CRUD" HELP!!!!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KimberlyP (64.12.107.42)
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok guys this has to be the best place to ask for a remedy for this problem. I have ask Vets and they just dont know. When these nasty cockers come in the shop with horrible allergies, they usually have huge amounts of yellow "goop" all around their toenails and feet. It usually looks like the same yellow junk oozing out of their ears. Do you all have any suggestions as to whet will cut this stuff in the bath. I have even gotten desperate and tried Dawn dish liquid. It stinks and makes for a undesirable looking groom job!!!! HELP!!!! thanks KimberlyP

anne (210.195.60.12)
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kimberly,

For this cases, I normally use a tar based shampoo and soak the area really well. The shampoo will softeb the yucky stuff and I follow up with a gentle bristle toothbrush and scrub it off. It works for me all the time. Try it!

Anne

june (24.158.169.173)
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

first gve it a srub in dawn dish liquid. rinse well, then slather on goop or go-jo hand cleaner( without pumice)if you have a power washerwork it through really well. shampoo in a medicated 2 more times.
this dog has serious yeast it sounds like. there is a very inexpensive cure if the owners are willing to do it.
1( get dog OFF city water, use distilled or certified pure spring. Wal-mart carries distilled very chaep.
2) acidopholis caps, get them from health food store or GNC. dog needs at least 3-4 caps per day for the first month. the refidgerated type( which has highly concentrated amounts of the good bacteria like in yogurt) is best.
3) garlic oil caps . same amount for 1 month. doggy may have an Italian oder for a time, but it's better than what it smells like now!

i have several clients on this it it really helps, but they also need to cut out table scraps, any beef, wheat, soy or corn based foods.
good luck. most ppl want fast fix from vet, but it covers the symptons for a time, does not get to the source of the problem.

KimberlyP (64.12.107.42)
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone for your advice. I can still smell her gunk on me and Ihave already washed my hands a dozen times. I dont have just one like this, unfortunetly I live in KY and from what I hear its one of tyhe worst for allergies. Yes it is very yeastie. I guess I probably groom about 10 of these yukky dogs a week. Thanks for the advice.

Rev (152.163.207.194)
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you asked our own "Ask a Vet", Dr. Leslie Easterwood? She might have some ideas too. Has the discharge or skin ever been tested?

doggygirl (142.154.31.140)
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cockers - ya gotta love 'em

yllek (204.71.65.253)
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try Listerine

KimberlyP (152.163.197.81)
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dont know if its been tested on this one today but some have and they are on Allergy shots for them. This gunk is so gluey its like vaselind mixed with appoxy glue...LOL I know that its transferred to her feet from scratching her ears that have gunk runningout. I think I am gonna get some hand cleaner and try that. I also will try asking the vet here. thanks a bunch. It seems no matter how much I try and explain this allergy thing to most clients. they just dont seem to listen. As for the dog today I told the owner about it and his reaction was...." Oh it that why Boo has been licking her feet"? LOL

bluebonbon (209.179.50.46)
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 2:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a product from Ryans Pet Supply called grease magic and yes, it works for yucky cocker skin, ear gunk on the outside of the ear flaps. I really love it but it is pricey. Get what you pay for.

Aubrey (64.12.101.154)
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 7:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nature's Specialties Neem Shampoo. Absolutely fantastic!

Tracie (205.188.193.21)
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 7:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I was you I would send the dog to a dermalogist and let them culture and get to the problem. They will give them the right shampoo and hopefully the right antibiotic I just sat in on a seminar with a dermatologist and he was the first person that has never mentioned Oatmeal shampoo for itching he said that there is a reason and they want to find it out. He also recommended Benzoyl Peroxide as a main shampoo for cocker problems because it is usually a yeast infection and most start in the ear. He also recommended bathing every 4 days for three weeks then decreasing to 1x/wk for a month and then everyother week for a month. I had a dog go to them and they finally diagonised the problem for a Bullmastiff it turns out she is allergic to the family CAT. cya kitty cat and the normal dust and pollen. however the family feels better they know why she was itching.

june (24.158.169.173)
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

antibiotics and shampoo are a temp. fix at best. the problem with YEAST comes from the inside!!!. the yeast out-numbers the good bacteria, and the yeast florishes under some conditions. that is why wheat, beef, soy and corn may be part of the problem. the 3 grains mentioned turn into sugars which feed the yeast (who makes bread here?)
the good guys( like acidopholis and such) are out of balance and need to be introduced on a daily basis to combat the yeast problem.
the garlic oil is a natural antibiotic that will not kill the good flora( which is what happens when given prescribed antbiotics...it kills everything).
it would be great if these ppl would listen but as groomers we are not as smart as the vets(nor trained). but if you had yeast problems, the above routine(see my post further up) would help cure the problems ladies. i never have suffered from yeast( thank the LORD) but this does work. my son works in a natural health food place, and tons of ladies have this problem, and it stems from nutrition.

Stephanie (65.95.145.209)
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hibitane; anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-ringworm...sigh.

Where in the blue blazes my Dandie picked up ringworm last year is beyond me, but I was in a frenzy trying to make sure he didn't pass it on to my other two dogs, my cat, and any grooming clients.

However, I did discover that Hibitane is roughly half the cost of the Hexadene shampoo my vet was selling us, and has the same medication.

Rev (64.12.103.178)
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where do you get Hibitane, Stephanie? Is it a dog product?

Stephanie (65.95.145.209)
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I picked it up at the drugstore. It's a non-prescription wash for acne, fungal infections, and general disinfecting. If I remember correctly, it contains 4% chlorahexidine gluconate.

Rev (64.12.101.151)
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Stephanie! It sounds worth trying.

june (24.158.169.173)
Posted on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 9:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CHECK OUT DAVIS..THEY MAKE a dog shampoo and additive w/ chlohexidine in it

sandy W (12.77.145.14)
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it starts in the ears. Try this on the cockers. The best product i have come accross...........

" F&T degreaser,matt,tangle,dried food crust,and ear wax remover"
i use for cocker ears recomended for in the ear & on the back flaps where its so sticky and hard to clean.
Use a little rub in add water rub a bit and all the wax and dirt rinse right off.
Can be ordered from La Pooch.

Sandy W.

sandy W (12.77.145.14)
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, for got to say after useing this.. i dry in the ears really good after the bath. Can also be used on the feet ..works there too.

SandyW

Puppymom (67.208.74.168)
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use "Goop" waterless cleaner. Appropriately named I think. I smear it on, and let it sit while bathing the dog. Then use Dawn and rinse and dry really well.

KimberlyP (152.163.204.207)
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 8:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently tried liguid Lava hand cleaner on the yellow goopy stuff on cockers feet and it took about 60% of the crud off. We massaged it in for about 5 minutes or so.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.