Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Lowering dog urine PH??? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Animal Ills and Injuries » GASTROINTESTINAL/URINARY PROBLEMS » Lowering dog urine PH??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Miranda (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 24.237.152.138
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 1:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!! I was curious if you had any ideas how to lower a dogs urine PH. We have a dog whose had a few urinary tract infections, and the doctor has seen crystals in the urine, also. Radiographs showed no stones however. Our vet suggested switching her to Science Diet (prescription) But she has corn allergies, and were trying it(science diet), and shes doing horrible. Yeasty ears, red skin, and patches starting, and its only been a week and a half. Our vet said this is the only way to go, but I would tend to believe otherwise. We started her on cranberry pills (not the vets advise). She is also currently on Clavaomx for 2 weeks. (spendy!! :-) at 1.50 a pill) Is there anything to do to lower her PH?? After her last course of antibiotics, it was back to normal, but the vet said this had nothing to do with the antibiotics, just her system returning to normal. Im wondering if vinegar added to her food would help?? Sorry for the long post, but help would be greatly appreciated. Our vet tends to think of only one solution to things. Im hoping theres a different solution out there.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 6518
Posted From: 152.163.253.98
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 6:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miranda, Dr. Easterwood is not available right now. I urge you to join the K9Kidneys and K9KidneyDiet lists on Yahoo Groups, for great advice, links, information, and support for kidney problems. The advisors there really know what they're talking about. How to feed would depend on what kind of crystals these are, struvite or not, and those would require different dietary treatment. Kidney problems are complex, with lots of variations. One thing: make sure you have copies of all your dog's blood and urine test results. This is your way to track progress over time.

Registered Member
Posted From: 24.237.152.30
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rev...Ill check it out!

groomerjc
Registered Member
Username: groomerjc

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 66.185.84.76
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
Change your dogs food to a percription diet recomended by your vet for this type of problem. And less fatty treats and no people food.

rev

Post Number: 6519
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

groomerjc, the Rx diets may or may not be right for a particular dog, not to mention being pretty unpalatable. They are extremely low in protein and many kidney dogs need more. Phosphorus is the key with many kidney problems, tough to keep low. It gets tricky. Fats don't seem to bother a lot of them. And people foods often are the only way to get a food-aversive dog to eat. So.. I recommend the lists. Kidney problems aren't simple or easy, but sort of long term day by day balancing acts.

KarenP (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 204.117.100.142
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Austrailan Shepherd with this same problem. Without a urinary acidifier her Urinary PH is 8 or higher. She developes struvite crystals in her urine when the PH is that high. She is allergic to corn, too. With her I've found that adding an urinary acidifier to her diet solved the problem. I check her urinary PH every now and then to see if I need to adjust the dosage of urinary acidifier. She's had no problems with struvite crystals since I started this regimen 3 years ago. I cannot mention the website I order the Urinary Acidifer from, as they are not sponsers of this site.

Before you give you dog an Urinary Acidifier, make sure you know what type of crystals your dog has. Urinary Acidifier WILL make some kinds of crystals worse.

groomerjc
Registered Member
Username: groomerjc

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 66.185.84.76
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rev
Thanks for the post, In Canada we have precription diets you can get at your vets for kidney problems or animals that have had stones and frequent urinary track infects its made for this type of illness. Its very strange that the US and Canada are so close but are so different in many things. We both have alot to learn, thats why i love this board so much to learn.Take care

dogshowaddict
Registered Member
Username: dogshowaddict

Post Number: 205
Posted From: 63.189.224.107
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 1:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are certain that it is calcium oxalate uroliths that have been in the bladder, and you have had them surgically removed (they cannot be dissolved with Rx med or food), you can assist in further prevention by supplementing the dog's diet with Potassium Citrate.
Avoid foods high in protein and calcium. Certain human treats must be avoided like broccoli and cheese, but green beans and fresh carrots are great!

(Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 202.7.217.9
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 6:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a prescription diet from the vet as while my dog has no real symptoms she is approaching 17yo and kidney and liver problems are an issue just due to age. I got a spiel about low protein is the key. The product supplied has very low protein, pretty much normal phosphorous levels and is very, very expensive. After a week she started exhibiting signs of kidney problems ie higher water intake, more frequent urination and slightly urine smelling breath so I did some more research. This is for canines (felines can be different) it seems normal to higher protein levels and even high fat levels are not as much a problem as high phosphorous levels so I put her back on what she was having which incidently was lower P than the prescription food and she is back to normal - still old, still with it, still continent and most definitely loved!!

rev

Post Number: 6536
Posted From: 205.188.209.167
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 9:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have Rx diets in the U.S. too, groomerjc--plenty of them. I assume all are effective in appropriate cases. But I'm not happy with the kidney Rx diets for many cases, just as the guest said above. Too low protein, not enough attention to phosphorus. The vets I've dealt with don't seem to "get it" about the phosphorus, and just insist on extremely low protein kibble, pretty much regardless of the quality of the protein too. Guest, I'm glad you used good sense and got your old girl back on track!

(Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 202.7.217.9
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 2:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rev - so am I!

Registered Member
Posted From: 24.237.152.7
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 2:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is very interesting...I have checked out the k9kidney diet site, and plan to check with the holstic vet to see what he thinks...Ive stopped the Rx diet, as my dog is doing sooooo poorly on it, I can stand to watch her not feeling well...Thanks to all who responded!

rev

Post Number: 6571
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 8:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Best wishes for you and your girl, Miranda!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.