Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Lymph node lumps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Animal Ills and Injuries » TUMORS & CANCER » Lymph node lumps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kristi Braun (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 216.114.33.45
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I noticed a lump in my dog Murphee's neck a few weeks back and took her in to the vet. Turns out she had several more in her neck, in fact all lymph nodes had lumps. The vet indicated two possibilities, an infection such as staph or cancer. The blood work turned up inconclusive so we treated with antibiotics hoping for infection. The cycle is over and the lumps are still there. Other than the lumps my dog appears symptom free. I guess I have two questions. If this is cancer, what do I have to look forward to. Lumps in all of the lymph nodes seems pretty dire to me. Second question, what else could it be? My vet wants to do a biopsy and take x-rays but I am hesitant for two reasons - my dog absolutely hates going to the vet and given her age I have decided that treatment for cancer (which would obviously involve many trips to the vet) would be cruel. I am also a bit concerned about the financial aspect of cancer treatment. Any suggestions?

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 6621
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristi, Dr. Easterwood is not available.

Be sure to discuss the financial as well as the physical aspects of the cancer treatments with your vet. The treatment program might or might not be as uncomfortable as you fear; you just need to find out those things.

Another possibility is to get a second opinion--when in doubt I like to take my dog to the state U teaching veterinary hospital. Your vet can refer you. They're a great resource, and reasonably priced.

darkangel_737
Registered Member
Username: darkangel_737

Post Number: 804
Posted From: 24.25.27.54
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I was grooming my 2 year old standard poodle today I noticed a big lump on one side of his neck. I could feel the lymph node on the other side, that was small and round. I freaked and rushed him to the vet, who biopsied the lump and said it was not cancer but just an overgrowth of lymph cells. He said he has seen the same thing in Weimaraners and English setters, the sporting breeds, and treats them with antibiotics. So he is on a 10 day course of Clavamox, and in the meantime the vet sent the biopsy sample to another vet for a more detailed reading. The lump doesn't seem sore and my poodle has been acting perfectly fine, this just scared the living cr@p out of me.

espinay
Registered Member
Username: espinay

Post Number: 213
Posted From: 144.134.113.3
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 8:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darkangel, out of curiosity, how are his teeth? I have seen swollen lymph nodes on a couple of dogs before. One on a dog who had an infection in a rear molar (below the gumline) and another on a dog whose mouth was full of tartar and gingivitis. Once the mouth was dealt with, the lymph nodes went down.

Lymph nodes can react to infection elsewhere in the body. I know myself I used to suffer from very bad acne. Occasionally when I got a very bad breakout (deep seated infection) my lymph node would swell up as well. They would go down again when the infection was cleared.

Tracy in Australia

darkangel_737
Registered Member

Post Number: 808
Posted From: 24.25.27.54
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 8:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He has a little tartar but nothing the vet thought would cause this inflammation.

kateP (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: llproxy.ll.mit.edu
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 7 mos old male Weim has had a very severe case of HOD for several months and is currently being treated with Pred. All through his HOD he has had these little bumps that will pop up on his body which are tender when you pinch them, but eventually they go away. We had one aspirated and it showed to just be white blood cells. We don't want to biopsy yet because of his condition. Recently one of these lumps was aspirated after it had swelled up considerably and it showed a little bacteria in it so he is now on Clavamox. But the other night, the one on his shoulder literally burst open. Just blood came shooting outward, didn't appear to have any puss. He currently has lumps that have swelled on both shoulders, his forehead, and on his back outside thihg.
What could this be? Could it be lymph nodes or a cyst or hotspots?

pupawheelie
Registered Member
Username: pupawheelie

Post Number: 139
Posted From: pool-71-110-0-46.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/index.html

www.sirjasonwinters.com
jason winters Tea- tea that cured Jason winters cancer 30 years ago. You can try the tea or the tribalene(pill form) for the dog. Purifies the blood so the body can heal itself. If you are feeding dog food from a bag or can, try making the food. Recipes found in the "it's for the amimals link." good luck.

spottydog (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cache-mtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like something similiar that my dal had. They were sebaceous cysts, in her case. We would see one come to a head, place a hot damp washcloth on it, and in a couple days, it would burst and we would clean the area. She had a few that didn't come up, but stayed below and became larger, until one (quite disgustingly) burst open. There was blood and white pus-like stuff. It was the same thing, but larger. That had to be removed surgically.
But if there is nothing white in the lump that burst, just blood, I wonder if it's a fatty tumor? I have seen them get quite large, and not burst, and others have burst thru the skin.
Weim's can be a "lumpy" dog, according to a rescue person who does just weims.
Sorry if this isn't much help!

pupawheelie
Registered Member

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason winters tea can also be made into a compress and placed on ANY WOUND. It heals almost overnight in most cases. This tea saved a lady from losing her leg to amputation due to an infection the doctors could not heal with antibiotics. She drank the tea, but also used it as a compress. Get a coffee filter and make a tea bag with a rubberband. Don't ring it out, use it soggy. www.sirjasonwinters.com .Jason winters was knighted in England for his tea!! Cured his cancer after he was told he had 3 months to live(30 years ago). Everyone should drink it, for energy, blood purification, and believe it or not, to relax and sleep well. Also, one lady got rid of her varicose veins. Read the testimonials in the website.

darkangel_737
Registered Member

Post Number: 1112
Posted From: cpe-024-211-139-136.nc.res.rr.com
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I forgot to update my poodle's lymph node story. The thing shrank a bit with each round of antibiotics but then got big again, plus his salivary gland on the same side got huge. The vet knocked him out and biopsied the thing thoroughly. He suspected a tick borne illness, so he put him on a month long round of doxycycline and did a tick titer. The titer came back positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever! After a month of doxy. the gland went down a little but then sprang back, so we did another month of it. Geez. The biopsy showed the gland was definitely not cancerous but is reactive, and because it has swelled so much it is not likely to ever return to its original size. We still don't know why the salivary gland is so big. I dunno. Lemmie doesn't seem to be having any problems, he isn't sick, and the gland doesn't hurt, so I will just accept it as it is and check it regularly.

Registered Member
Posted From: cache-dtc-ae08.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pupawheelie, have you ever tried the tea? I am interested, but I have no real health concerns at this time (physical, that is...LOL!). But I'm a big tea drinker anyway, and take supplements for my health. Does it taste like "regular" tea?

pupawheelie
Registered Member

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

spottydog, yes. I was having trouble with uterine fibroids. Lots of them that were pressing on my bladder and colon, feeling like I had a bladder infection all the time and also plumbing was not working, and backing up. I drank the tea, and it shrunk them down. I didn't have to get a hysterectomy which I was headed for. Yay Jason Winters tea. before the tea I was taking lots of days off work cause I could hardly walk. drink it even if you don't have any health problems. It will prevent them from coming.

pupawheelie
Registered Member

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh the tea flavor is very herbal /a little minty. I like it but some dont. If you want you can order peach or raspberry, and maybe there are other flavors. I just get the bulk can cause it's cheaper.

Registered Member
Posted From: cache-rtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I will order some, let you know what I think!

anna609
Registered Member
Username: anna609

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 70.75.153.121
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 3yr old black lab that has what I think is swollen lymph nodes in his neck shoulders and knee's on his hind legs. However these are the only symptoms of lymphoma that he has. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any other reason for this?

louie
Registered Member
Username: louie

Post Number: 4288
Posted From: 67.80.249.139
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

biopsy needed by a veterinarian asap................

I hope everything turns out to be nothing but no lump should ever go unchecked..........

In order to irreplaceable, one must always be different.
-Coco Chanel

pamperedpoodles
Registered Member
Username: pamperedpoodles

Post Number: 514
Posted From: 99.196.50.59
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 8:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Louie. Get to the vet. The sooner its taken care of the better the results can be.
Lisa

kitty
Username: kitty

Post Number: 3691
Posted From: 68.196.235.109
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep!
Dogs have masters, Cats have staff!
Kitty, Chief-of-Staff

doogie1979
Registered Member
Username: doogie1979

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 99.124.199.132
Posted on Monday, December 6, 2010 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Scottie had those fatty tumors removed but during surgery they found a sarcoma in the back of his throat. I spoke with a holistic vet and started giving him the Essiac tea, probably similar to the tea spoken about. I also switched him to a raw grain free diet with salmon oil on top and he has gone 2 years symptom free and he is 13 years old! people can never believe his age!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.