Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Human Nail Polish & Nail Polish Remov... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Animal Ills and Injuries » GROOMING QUESTIONS » Human Nail Polish & Nail Polish Remover « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Celeb (cacheflow2.mpinet.net - 207.203.248.13)
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr. Easterwood:
I offer nail polishing as a service to my clients. I have only used nail polish made for pets and just repaint over the old polish each time. My question is, Is it safe to use human nail polish on pets, and is it safe to use nail polish remover to remove old polish? I will wait your response before trying either.
Thanks

Leslie Easterwood, DVM (wwwcache-01-e3b.jump.net - 207.8.1.21)
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Celeb,
I have not seen any problems with using human nail polish on dogs, but it does not seem to wear well. (I have two clients that I can think of off hand, that use human polishes at home routinely) It seems like the pet products are more durable, and hold their color longer. The remover should not be a problem either, if it does not get on the skin, and if they do not object to the smell. I would also caution you about the liability of using a product that is not labeled for animal use on client animals. If the dog develops a problem, and you have used a pet product, as requested by the client, then your position will be stronger than if you are using human labeled products.
Good Luck,
Leslie Easterwood, DVM

celeb (cacheflow2.mpinet.net - 207.203.248.13)
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2000 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dr. Easterwood. I do plan to stick with doggie nail polish for that main reason. I am going to safely use the nail polish remover when needed. Out of curiosity, is there a product labeled "for pet use" in the line of polish removers?
Celeb

Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2000 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Celeb,
That is a good question!! Since I don't know, I will put out an 'emergency message' to my mom, and she will know.

Mom,
Is there such a product out there?

Leslie Easterwood, DVM

Judy in Texas (houtxport-60-ds3.twistercom.com - 207.235.39.60)
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not to my knowledge, Kid. I have a feeling that dog polish is somewhat like enamel paint. It is made to last for awhile and not much will remove it! Painting nails is not one of my favorite things to do for that reason!! :)

Posted on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mom!! I knew you would know, since I know how much you enjoy painting toenails!
Leslie

Thistle
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used a few doggie nail polishes that were simply enamel paint in a polish jar. Polish removers will not take them off, and frankly, they scare me more than using a human polish.
I'd rather use something that was a little less durable; besides, the new technology in (human)nail paint offers durable finishes and quick-dry results. I actually feel safer using a polish formulated for humans.

grmrsan
Registered Member
Username: grmrsan

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 67.182.5.120
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the polish made for the pre-teens, wet n wild mostly, it seems to go on better and last longer. However I just bought some glow-in-the-dark polish for halloween. Is this ok to use on dogs, of is the phospher-whatever bad?

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 4182
Posted From: 156.34.245.103
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it would be ok as long as the dog isn't ingesting the polish.

pasobrio
Registered Member
Username: pasobrio

Post Number: 1241
Posted From: 64.123.239.117
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it as bright as regular dog polish? I've tried human polish before and it is too translucent.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.