Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Itching Silky Terrier Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Animal Ills and Injuries » SKIN/COAT/NAILS & EXTERNAL PARASITES » Itching Silky Terrier « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

k9krew (s17.hai1.hialoha.net - 206.127.238.83)
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 1999 - 1:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dr. Leslie -
I have a 3 yr. old Silky Terrier who pretty much all her life has had sensitive skin. I have tried all kinds of veterinary shampoos, to no avail. The only one I found that worked for awhile was Hexadene. the dermatalogy people are coming here in December at which time I will have her tested for allergies. She ate eukanuba puppy then switched over to minichunks. I currently have her on lamb and rice. Any suggestions to help her chronic itching? Our vet had me put her on a hypo allergenic diet using a protein and carbohydrate source that she has NEVER had before.
I started with duck and tofu - but the duck caused major loose stool (to say the least) I am supposed to keep her on this diet for 4 weeks, and if no scratching, introduce another new protein and carbo source....She had a major mess in my husbands car yesterday - and he said no more new diet....lol...she is back to the hard kibble again...what do you think about my trying the fish and potato prescription diet?? Thank you for any suggestions that you may have. Another question - is there something oral I can give to her to alleviate the itching?

Laree
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 1999 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

k9krew -
I also have a (almost) 3 year old silky terrier. Same problems - scratching, scooting, chewing on feet. We put her on the fish and potatoe diet - some improvement. We use Relief shampoo and creme rinse - big improvement, lasts about 3 1/2 weeks, but still not gone. We put her on antihistimines twice a day - controlled but still there. Tried the kangaroo and something diet, (Eukanuba) small step backward. Switched her to a preservitive free food - HUGE IMPROVEMENT. now we only use antihistimine as needed - not much, shampoo less often - about every 6 weeks.
I went to Bil-Jac food, but I've heard good things about Avo-Derm, Nutro and some others. Try a health food store. She seem to have a very sensitive stomach, so I have to switch her over slowly, sudden changes and I can expect minor loose stools, but these are all hard kibble and don't seem to be that much of a problem. Biggest problem with the fish and potato - couldn't keep the cats out of it. LOL
Good luck
LaRee

GROOMERZOE
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 1999 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI I HAVE A YORKIE WITH SKIN ALERGIES I HAVE BEEN BATHING HER IN MICRO TEK SHAMPOO IT HAS DONE WONDERS FOR HER. SHE HAD NO HAIR ON HER FACE AND VARY LITTLE ON HER BODY WHEN I GOT HER AND SHE IS VARY PRETTY NOW. I ORDER IT FROM REVIVAL 1-800-786-4751 THEY ALSO HAVE A SPRAY AND I USED IT INBETWEEN BATHING TO SOOTH IT REALLY IS GOOD AND IT MAKES YOUR HANDS FEEL GOOD ALSO IT WAS DEVELOPED FROM NASA FOR THE ASTRONAUTS YOUR FRIEND ZOE

Leslie Easterwood, DVM (wwwcache-01-e3b.jump.net - 207.8.1.21)
Posted on Monday, November 22, 1999 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

k9krew,
Sounds like your veterinarian is covering all the bases! These are very trying problems, and can be very frustrating to get diagnosed. You MUST develop a logical series of trials in order to get the allegry diagnosed and treated properly. That is why they put you on an elimination diet where the ingredients are known, and you must stay on it for the 4 weeks before you can access success or not. I agree that the digestive upset is not acceptable, so you may need to switch to several diets right in a row before you settle on one that can endure the 4 week trial. The appointment for skin allergy testing is the MOST IMPORTANT thing you are doing. This will definatively tell you what she is allergic to, and what things to avoid in her diet and her environment. This will also provide you with the possibility to hyposensitize her to her environmental allergies just like we do in people with allergy shots. They can be very successful in many cases, but you must know what your individual dog is allergic to, or you will be doomed to continual trial and error to find the right answers. In order to get a valid test, she can not have any antihistamines or steroids for at least 4weeks, and preferably 6 weeks before treatment. This is crucial for a valid test!!! You do not want anything masking the body's immune response, or the test will mean nothing, and the results will not help plan the treatment. This makes the period of time before testing a very trying time, because they are likely to be having very bad itching during this time. That is why we try to keep them on a restriction diet that they seem to tolerate, so that the exposure to allergens can be minimized during this time before the test. After the test has been completed, then there are many things we can give to control the itch. There are several good prescription antihistamines available today, and some dogs even get good relief from over-the-counter Benadryl. We can also use steroids if neccesary to stop the itch cycle and provide relief.
So in short:
1) Find an elimination diet that she can tolerate, and stick with it.
2) Do not give any form of steroid or antihistamine during this time before the skin allergy testing (this includes topical products)
3) Hang in there and be patient, you and your veterinarian are on the right track, and will have her under control before you know it!!
Good Luck, and keep us updated,
Leslie Easterwood, DVM

eboyett (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 209.247.222.25
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 1:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a yorkiepoo who is 3 1/2 months old. She is shedding pretty bad and according to all I have read there should be no shedding. What can I do. This is one reason we selected her because of the no shedding thing.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 1574
Posted From: 142.154.31.2
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All dogs shed. That is a common misconception. You have to brush her every day and make sure to put a comb through her coat so she doesn't knot up. Make sure you feed a high quality dogfood as they can also help with shedding and make sure there is enough oil in her diet. All dogs do not shed the same as I have a Sib that sheds badly and it gets all over, then there are poodles who shed, but the hair stays within the coat and therefore creates matts. When you take a comb through the dog, hair comes out meaning the dog is shedding. That is young to be doing a lot of shedding. Has she been de-wormed??

eboyett (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 209.247.222.26
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, she has been de-wormed. She has been very picky about her dog food. We have finally gotten one that she likes ok. We started giving her Lipiderm-omega3 & 6 fatty acids, vitamins A & E. capsules this weekend. Do you think this will be ok? Thanks so much!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.