Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Need info on large draining moles Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Animal Ills and Injuries » SKIN/COAT/NAILS & EXTERNAL PARASITES » Need info on large draining moles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bennie
Registered Member
Username: bennie

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 216.196.158.110
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do any of you know the cause and condition that causes the large draining moles? I want to know more about this subject.

shearmadness
Registered Member
Username: shearmadness

Post Number: 595
Posted From: 68.77.247.218
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bennie, you need to describe what you're seeing a bit better than that. What size is the lesion, what type of discharge, etc.

bennie
Registered Member

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moles that grow in irregular shapes and can grow very large. The drainage is usually oily and bloody, it hardens on the top of the mole much like a scab. The scabs soften when the dog is washed, but the drainage is so oily and the area so delicate (these moles begin to bleed when distrubed) the dog is not truely clean around these moles even after bathing.

amazon
Registered Member
Username: amazon

Post Number: 317
Posted From: 24.52.90.155
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an elderly customer with a toy poodle that had this type of moles. They were on the dog's skull. neck, and another by his ear.

The owner remembered her mother using a raw potato to remove warts, so she tried it on the dog's moles. She used a slice of raw potato twice a day to rub on the moles. In about 2 months, the moles were completely gone.

shearmadness
Registered Member

Post Number: 597
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those sound like papillomas (also called sebaceous adinomas) and are associated with sebaceous (oil) glands. Nothing to worry about. They can be rather fragile (pieces break off and can bleed a bit)but if they're not bothering the dog and not interfering with the grooming process, you usually don't need to do anything about them.

diamondog
Registered Member
Username: diamondog

Post Number: 3063
Posted From: 216.47.50.179
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amazon, that is so cool! I have an old cocker, he may not be back in, (but I've been thinking that for 2 years now). But he has these moles and I'm gonna tell his owner about the potato idea. I accidentally sliced one off last groom. He didn't bleed any more than it seeped anyway and he didn't react when it happened.
He also has this HUGE blue black thing that looks like a skin tab on steroids hanging from the side of his penis sheath. It hangs nearly to the floor and looks like a bag of blood and it's only attached by this little tiny skintab type thing. So last groom they said their BIL, a vet, was coming over to take that off.
About time! I've sweated about that thing for YEARS, and told them to get it off after every groom. Now he's about 85 years old and they're gonna finally do it.
Shear, is there a name for that thing I described? I always figured if it came off here he'd probably bleed to death! LOL!

underdog
Registered Member
Username: underdog

Post Number: 508
Posted From: 69.46.213.54
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks DD!! Just put a bite of banana in my mouth in time to read about the weird sheath growth.
Hey, don't those ancient cockers with bleeding things just put you in diet zone? I know I can barely eat for days after grooming one.

shearmadness
Registered Member

Post Number: 600
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like it's perhaps a hemangioma, but without a histopath no-one can say. I wouldn't even bother with pathology on the growth; if it had been malignant the dog would be long dead. Why in the world have they waited this long to have it removed??

Just to be specific (and a pain in your arses), the things we're describing are not moles. The correct term would be lesion, mass or growth. I'm not saying this just to be picky. If you describe something as a mole to a customer, they're likely to consider it more benign than they ought to. Papillomas can be described as warts (which they resemble but aren't) without undue harm. However, anything else short of a skin tag should be reported to the owner with direction to seek further information from their veterinarian.

When a client asks me what something is, I tell them that that's a determination for their veterinarian to make. I never advise that they wait and watch it. I will (if I think it's something "hot" and nasty) advise them to have it checked immediately. My customers know I'm not an alarmist, so if I think something needs attention right away, they trust that.

I think that as groomers we're on the front line to notice subtle changes in the health of our little friends. We'll see skin problems before the owners will in most cases (hurray for hv dryers!) and I will let every owner know when/if I've found something new.

diamondog
Registered Member

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'll adjust my terminology from mole to wart but I think not knowing may be my best way to protect myself from crossing the career line from groomer to vet.
I do tell my customers about every little bump, blister, mole, wart, cyst, or whatchamacallit I find on Fido. I also tell them I haven't any idea what it is but that if it were on my dog I would have the vet look at it.
I sometimes tell owners that I have a 3 day rule for my own dogs. Anything that isn't an emergency, (one of the ABC's) I watch it carefully for 3 days. If it gets worse I go to the vet, if it doesn't get better (stays the same), I go to the vet, if it looks better after 3 days I wait a bit more to see if it will resolve itself. If it doesn't in another 3 days, I wait til Monday and go to the vet.
I also believe that owners have the right to decide for their own pets what they will do.
The old cocker "Bailey", had a predecessor, Hannah, a HUGE schoodle. He has 2 sibs, a nasty little intact shiTsomething and a cuter little hairy dog. They have all been rescues. All overfed. All groomed regularly. All treated for one thing or another for the length (Hannah was 14, Bailey is 15 now, Cinder is 10 and the new one, "Whatsisname", is under a year,) of their lives. I like owners like this much better than the one that called me tonight with the year old GSD 'farm dog' that is chasing cattle and, "...would I be able to help them find a 'home' for it?"
We board 2 dogs for a guy who works out of state about 2 weeks out of every month. One of the dogs is old and displastic and very sore. Last week the guy asked my DH how he would know whether to let Benny keep going or to put him down. Jim told him that that was between him and Benny but that when a dog was reacting to pain visably more than now and then it didn't seem fair to keep them. This guy adores that dog, he will make the right choice and he will know when. Til then I will make Benny as comfortable as possible and enjoy his good days.

houndlady
Registered Member
Username: houndlady

Post Number: 828
Posted From: 68.41.246.248
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a cocker last week with lessions as described, but they were under a heavy layer of coat, all crusty and stinking to high heaven. Once the crust came of, there was pus and blood seeping from them.
The vet took a look and said they were ulcerated (?) sebaceous adinomas. To my question about what could be done to stop the seeping mess, the reply was surgery.

diamondog
Registered Member

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Orrrr, we could try the Amazon Potato cure. ?!?
Couldn't hurt.

amazon
Registered Member
Username: amazon

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 24.52.90.155
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would not have believed it if I didn't see it. Theses were oozing, and left big crusty areas on the dog's head and neck.
She just rubbed a slice of raw potato on it twice a day. They are completely gone. She used the black spots she cut out of the potatoes. A truly frugal woman- saved on the vet bills, and ate the rest of the potatoes!

bennie
Registered Member

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info.

I am going to tell a few clients about the potato, who knows?

The dog I had with the worst growths is no longer with us. Poor thing, as many as 6 of those growths in a 2 inch square, a cocker with a billion other problems besides.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.