Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Dogs penis won't retract Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Animal Ills and Injuries » OTHER CANINE HEALTH PROBLEMS » Dogs penis won't retract « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

groomertogroomer
Registered Member
Username: groomertogroomer

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 99.244.147.147
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just rescued a 4 yr old male Bichon from a family. This little dog has many issues to say the least. One thing is, when he gets stressed, his penis comes out but won’t retract back in for hours. It seems very uncomfortable for him. He has been abused, so he is very nervous and is still getting used to being touched. Anybody have an idea what’s going on, or suggestions……Thanks

boubou
Registered Member
Username: boubou

Post Number: 243
Posted From: 70.81.208.194
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He probably has some 'ingrown' hairs at the tip of his penis that need to be pulled out and cut. It seems Poodles and Bichons have a problem with this - I see a few at my shop.....poor little buggers, must be sooo uncomfortable!

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 5384
Posted From: 156.34.191.27
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've seen a chihuahua with that problem. It just would stay out and they had to put vaseline on it to slide it back. Not fun.

4pawssake
Registered Member
Username: 4pawssake

Post Number: 524
Posted From: 142.68.191.232
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a little poodle with this problem, in his case (he's 16 now) it has always been that way. They've had him to the vet twice to fix it, and no go each time. It's always dry and looks like it would be uncomfortable but it never seemed to bother him.
Wendy

vroomvroom
Registered Member
Username: vroomvroom

Post Number: 1082
Posted From: 24.30.73.145
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vaseline.

groomertogroomer
Registered Member
Username: groomertogroomer

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 99.244.147.147
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to the vets today. He fixed it for now and put him on anti-inflammatory for a few weeks……I am not sure why he is doing this, I think its stress. He also said when it happens again, I can use eye polysporin to retract it. I hope when he gets used to my home he will ease up on the self gratification lol

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.