Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

DOG HAIR IN MY LUNGS!!???? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Mobile Grooming » OTHER MOBILE QUESTIONS » DOG HAIR IN MY LUNGS!!???? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

youdirtydog
Registered Member
Username: youdirtydog

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 205.188.116.6
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure this is going to sound hypercondriac-like to some of you, but I am CERTAIN that I have dog hair stuck in my lungs. I am afraid to go to the doctor because I'm afraid of what he might find. I had a grooming shop until 6 years ago when I went mobile. I didn't think to wear a mask in the close-quarters of my van. I have now developed a constant, chronic cough. Does anyone else have this problem and if so, can you tell me how to get the hair out of my lungs? I am really scared. Thanks.

maxesmom
Registered Member
Username: maxesmom

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 98.223.112.20
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, please get that cough checked out ASAP. Chronic coughs should always get a Dr's attention. Chances are pretty good you don't have hair in your lungs. Our lungs are good at getting foreign objects out. Mucus covered passages and tiny moving cilia rid our lungs of most of the bigger stuff that comes our way. That said, dander, aerosol particles, diesel fumes and many other particulates get inhaled and can play havoc on your system. A mask is a help- but it didn't prevent me from getting asthma from diesel fumes.
Exhaust fans, masks and careful consideration of the ingredients in the products you use can help keep your lungs healthy.

wolfhound
Registered Member
Username: wolfhound

Post Number: 545
Posted From: 74.170.250.50
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My doctor told me my xrays look like the lungs of a chronic chain smoker, and that it is indeed hair bits irratating the lung tissue. But that's after 15(at the time) years of dog grooming. She said the lungs would improve if I stopped grooming(not happening) or slowly if I used a good quality mask and tried to keep the air cleaner.
Lots of other things like maxesmom mentioned can also cause chronic cough, and you should get checked out to be sure it's not something else.

magnolia
Registered Member
Username: magnolia

Post Number: 2951
Posted From: 76.31.131.97
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it is possible to get dog hair in your lungs. I've was in the hospital for a week from a cough that kept getting worse to the point I couldn't breathe. COurse my smoking didn't help matters but after the xrays and ruling out pneumonia, the doctor also determined "foreign matter" in my lungs and after asking what I do for a living most likely dog hair and years of breathing it..that and dander. I was fussed at to wear a mask. Unfortunately you can't get the dog hair out of the lungs. First I would definately see a doctor. Then start wearing a mask. I have to keep an inhaler around because there are days living here in Houston that the air quality does suck and makes it hard for me to breathe. First sign of a cold, sniffles, cough, sore throat I haul my butt into the doctor for antibiotics because now the slightest onset of a cold it comes quickly and gets bad quickly. If I remember right, can't remember her name that came on here..still does? But I believe she was even diagnosed with COPD and her Dr said years of breathing dog hair even contributed to it. Not to scare you but the best thing to do is a wear mask you can at least stop it from getting to a severe case by starting to wear a mask now. I wish I had known that years ago and I would have started out wearing one myself where I would be used to it by now, but I figure damage is done on my part already after 24 years.

groomin_gal
Registered Member
Username: groomin_gal

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 75.15.231.204
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My horrible hacking cough cleared up within two weeks when I left grooming a couple of years ago. So, I KNOW it was hair in my lungs.

I'm returning to grooming in April, and will be wearing a mask and using a clippervac system. I pray that helps.
This restless spirit takes a long way back home.....Robert Plant

bassetlady
Registered Member
Username: bassetlady

Post Number: 289
Posted From: 24.58.201.92
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Groomer that works for me gets Bronchitis a couple times a year. she is a smoker but the doctor has told her dog hair is a big cause for her also. Even told her she should find a different profession.

groomin_gal
Registered Member

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There really is no other profession for some of us, which makes this scary.

I wonder if a clipper-vac system would help? I mean, we still blow coat when force drying, and I know dog hair will get into our longs at that point.

I don't know if any answer

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 5929
Posted From: 69.148.244.221
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been grooming for 23 years. I have no coughing/lung issues. I don't wear a mask. I do have a Clippervac but only got that in the last 5 years.

I'm not discounting the issues you all are having, but it may not be solely related to the dog hair. If it was, I think there would be a lot more people with more problems.

Barb

groomin_gal
Registered Member

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe it is the dander. Maybe allergies that have suddenly cropped up. Maybe it is the dog hair, or maybe all above.

I just dunno! :-(

hairyterrier
Registered Member
Username: hairyterrier

Post Number: 1345
Posted From: 74.192.66.98
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

groomin_gal, I think it will definitely help with a mask and clippervac. When I first started grooming,I started having bronchitis and sinus infections everytime I turned around. It seemed that I would no sooner get over one then I had the other. I ordered a taxi-vac and saw an immediate improvement. The one time I got sick after that was when I started wearing a mask. I haven't been sick with anything related to bronchitis or sinus infections since and that's been over 5 years ago.

groomin_gal
Registered Member

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's really good news, and gives all of us hope. This industry has been way behind the times for far too long.

Finally we have hydraulic tables and a clipper system to protect our health.

Now we even have hydraulic tubs.

Let's NOT even discuss the old toxic flea/tick dips of the 1970's & 1980's. Thank God there are now non-toxic products to use.

I have been told over and over that the average work span of a groomer is something like 8-12 years. What the heck!!?? It doesn't have to be that way.

We need to keep progressing forward to protect not only our health, but our career as well.

kitty
Username: kitty

Post Number: 2602
Posted From: 68.197.189.1
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Preventing this is one of THE best reasons for using a vac!! Thirty years ago groomers could not GET health insurance as they were considered too high a risk. Do NOT make light of this. If you do not have a vac you should be wearing a mask all the time. And if you do, you should probably still wear one when drying. We've only got one body...and lungs are a fairly necessary part for proper function. When they are done, so are we!
Cats Rule!

groomin_gal
Registered Member

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A big amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 5046
Posted From: 142.167.128.61
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 4:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just go get checked and then move forward from there. I had surgery two years ago and they said my oxygen level was 99/100 and that is after 14 years of grooming usually without a mask. I had bronchitis about 3 years ago. OMG I was so sick and developed a lung infection. X-rays only showed infection, no sign of dog hair. You are fearing the unknown. Get it done:-)

theposhpet
Registered Member
Username: theposhpet

Post Number: 944
Posted From: 65.185.69.197
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 5:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some asthma issues but that's because I'm a groomer who is smoker who is allergic to dogs. My doctor and I have discussed the pros and cons of grooming. Before grooming, I was a paralegal on medication for blood pressure, blood sugar, anxiety, and I was 45 lbs. heavier than I am now(and I'm no little girl now). Post-legal career, I take Symbicort (for breathing) and that is IT. My dr. has said that the pro's for my health with grooming far outweigh the risks (oh and to quit smoking LOL). My blood pressure and sugar have been controlled now with no medication (oh the things stress will do). I only have depression/anxiety issues a month or 2 a year, rather than constantly. I think some of these doctors suggesting a career change haven't really thought about the alternatives of giving up something you love for something that just pays the bills. That said, I need to start wearing mask.
Every life should have nine cats...and I DO!

youdirtydog
Registered Member
Username: youdirtydog

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 64.12.116.6
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just wish I had the common sense to wear a mask when I started in this profession! Well, I've been wearing one for the past couple of days. Only problem is.....my glasses fog up!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com