Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Grey water nightmare Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Mobile Grooming » OTHER MOBILE QUESTIONS » Grey water nightmare « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

louie
Registered Member
Username: louie

Post Number: 1834
Posted From: 63.154.48.39
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my lovely neighbor is pissed because I dump my grey water in my driveway and it flows down the street in front of her house....this evening she was pouring bleach into the puddle and then taking photos. She screamed at my husband that she has already called the board of health about it.Then she said that she was going to call the town because it is illegal for a commercial vehicle to be in the driveway overnight. My husband ALMOST went after her to choke her...He said why did you just tell my wife it was bothering you???!!! she would have just dumped somewhere else!
so to everyone who lives in a city and dumps grey water....beware, you CAN find yourself being harassed and I now have to probably find parking for my mobile all because of soapy water in the street!!!!!!! it REALLY can piss people off even though it IS just soap and water!

debal
Registered Member
Username: debal

Post Number: 268
Posted From: 152.163.101.12
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems to me that pouring out soapy water from bathing dogs into the street isn't any worse than pouring bleach into the street! Good grief---people wash their cars in their yards every day. I've never heard of anyone complaining about soapy car-wash water running into the street. Weren't you and your hubby thinking about moving sorta down South not too long ago? A neighbor like that would sure make me consider moving! Deb

magnolia
Registered Member
Username: magnolia

Post Number: 953
Posted From: 24.175.110.252
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 2:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've seen carpet cleaning companies with their vans parked in the driveway hooked up to customers outside water faucets and a drain hose running down the driveway draining the dirty water when they suction that mess up how can THAT be possibly any better than soap and water from bathing dogs?

bowwowwheels
Registered Member
Username: bowwowwheels

Post Number: 770
Posted From: 165.247.190.173
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 7:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Louie, get an MSDS for EVERY product you use-then request an Environmental Impact Statement for each and every product you have on the van. The statement will say what damage to the environment a catastrophic spill would cause and what to look out for in case of said spill in terms of clean-up and containment; it goes much further than an MSDS and does seem to carry a bit more weight since it's pretty plain-spoken. This is exactly the reason I use EQyss products!!! Their statement simply says that there would be no damage to the environment due to them using all natural, botanical products that actually would make the environment cleaner :-) Yep, nosey neighbors can be a PITA!!!! Good luck with this. And BTW-that van may not be a commercial vehicle since it may not fit the weight requirements-MY Ultimate doesn't and I have the Deluxe conversion with genset, XL tub and a holding tank. Check to see what the weight requirement is for COM vehicles in NJ-I think our vans are well under it :-)

scottygirl
Registered Member
Username: scottygirl

Post Number: 561
Posted From: 64.105.72.152
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 7:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never shared this, but it seems to be important in this case. I know this is a controversial issue, so please -- no flaming me. Louie, I work in Montclair (everyone in NJ should know how expensive this area is). I ALWAYS let my grey water drain into the street while I'm grooming, unless I'm parked in a client's driveway (which isn't too often), then I close it. I had an old man walk past the van once, knock on the window and scream at me about the water dripping out (we're talking a small trickle while I was bathing a samll dog). He went and got the police. The police questioned me, watched how much water drained out and they decided it was absolutely FINE. I have never had a problem since, in 2 years of mobile grooming in that town. I only use natural products, so I'm not dumping toxins into the street. If you keep your grey tank valve open, no one will even notice the tiny amount of water dripping out while you are bathing. You might want to try that, instead of dumping such a large amount of water out on your driveway each night (prevents major ice slicks in the winter too )

Ok, your neighbor is a whole other story! What a witch! Dumping bleach...she must be completely wacko. I'm also not allowed to park a commercial vehicle in my driveway, but thankfully none of my neighbors have ever complained. We'd definitely have to move if they did. That would be so stressful and upsetting. I feel for you, and I hope you can make peace with this neighbor (aka witch!)

piffy
Registered Member
Username: piffy

Post Number: 238
Posted From: 64.136.164.35
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 8:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The weight limit in Los Angeles is 5600 pounds.
suggestion: have a sewer tap or a sewer clean out installed and just run a hose with a quick disconnect.

madeleine
Registered Member
Username: madeleine

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 69.160.81.190
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a sewer clean out but haven't had anyone complain yet. My grass where I drain the water is the must lush and weed free in the whole yard. I just use the grey water hose from walmart:-)

Ginger

kinsel000
Registered Member
Username: kinsel000

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 65.27.222.242
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how practical this idea is, but sometimes I try to go through big store parking lots to dump my grey water. I pull around to an un-occupied area of the parking lot and when I find one of those large water drains with grates over them, I just position the truck there and let it flow. Don't know if I could get in trouble or not, but I try not to be too conspicuous about it.

spottydog (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 64.12.117.18
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a drive-thru, do it yourself car wash up the road from me. I stop there all the time and dump. Once a week I do wash my rig there, so I don't think I'm abusing the facility.
And if I have to get groceries on the way home, I park over a drain and let it go, like kinsel000 does above.

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instead of emptying it out in the street or driveway if you have a yard why not just empty it in the yard or flower bed? I've done that many times cuz some of my trees start lookin' sad when we've gone without rain and I'm too lazy water the yard! LOL It doesn't run down the drain, it doesn't kill the grass and my Japanese Magnolia trees seem to like it! lol

Also, why not try those do it yourself high pressure car wash places? I know it says no sewage dumping like for RV's but what's coming out of the van is no different than that stuff you're spraying to wash your car with there, it's probably even safer! LOL Around here in the country it's not uncommon to see people with livestock trailers washing cattle poop down those drains to wash out trailers.

lolita
Registered Member
Username: lolita

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 68.45.212.46
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is another post around here somewhere that Frank Weag had the same problem and he corrected it by letting the county(?) know what was in the grey water. I'll try to find it.

lolita
Registered Member
Username: lolita

Post Number: 285
Posted From: 68.45.212.46
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK it's under generators/power/water "The waste water from mobile grooming" 2-22-04 the post about Frank's battle is by Dogman.

meesh62 (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 66.160.93.63
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 8:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I lucked out; we live on a pipestem and I have an ivy-covered hill where I can back up and dump my grey tank; 'course the ivy is lusher than ever! Also, even though pretty much anything vehicle-wise seems to go in my neighborhood, no one can see our house and what's become a virtual parking lot out front with the addition of the van (our third vehicle). The neighbors all seem to love it when I pull out ... it's a great source of amusement ... and several neighbors are clients.

pattiesk9s
Registered Member
Username: pattiesk9s

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 205.188.117.18
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

louie,here in naples every mobile just leaves there valve open and lets the water drain with each dog,i have had only one place say i needed to close my valve they are not even allowed to wash there cars in this subdivision
anyway i use very mild shampoos and no one cares about alittle soapy water.
one of the other mobile groomers here was pulled over by the police right after 9-11 and just wanted to see what was dripping out of her underside,once she showed him he said no problem.
i am in one of the most richest areas there is and even the millionaires that i service dont care about some water running out of my drain.

louie
Registered Member
Username: louie

Post Number: 1836
Posted From: 65.237.104.230
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey all! first of all, I must remind you all of where I live---the LEAST tolerant place on earth! North jersey,10 miles from the George Washington Bridge, NYC: home of people with no patience and hardly any good will:-( this is not an area of the country that allows "dirty" water to just casually run down a driveway. I am now going to have to find parking for my mobile AND deal with the upcoming winter drudgery of it all PLUS PAY for a crappy lot in a gas station not near my house. I will have to leave my van parked overnight where it can be broken into or defaced. MY VAN, My livelihood! all because I have an ahole of a neighbor that instead of just telling me that soapy water bothered her...she called board of health and the town building inspector in order to have my van removed! This is the INTOLERENCE I am trying to get across to my fellow mobilers here on the board.
bowwow, I HAD to get commercial plates because of the laws here say having a lettered vehicle needs commercial plates no matter what the weight is.
scottygirl, I would never flame anyone on this board especially you!:-) my Ultimate does not allow me to drain off a little at a time while grooming because I need to keep the van's back door way open and let a hose stretch out to allow water to be emptied:-( I do not want to keep that door open because I KNOW I will forget it and drive away!!!!LOL anyway, I also do not need to be harassed by any more cops/neighbors on why water is flowing from a gosh darn bath truck!!! It is just so ridiculous that I CAN"T just let soapy water run out....can you tell how angry i am right now???
magnolia, I can definitely empty on my own lawn but I need to buy a much longer hose (which i am doing tomorrow) so it can reach the lawn. The only reason why I did not do it in the first place was because NO ONE COMPLAINED IN 2 1/2 YEARS!
the houses are a few feet apart and the street happens to slope sliiiiiiightly towards her house so when the water runs down the driveway, it puddles and then creeeeeeps to her driveway. most of the time the water doesn't even REACH her stupid driveway! remember I only fill my water tank about halfway or less each day because all my grooms are small...so its not like there is 65 gallons pouring down the freaking street causing my neighbors to buy flood insurance!
I even have a strainer in my tub that catches all the hairs so the water that runs out is almost 100% goop free!

one final note: where I groom/live is not the richest part of NJ...it is just full of the least tolerant and nastiest people you can come across.

oh and when i woke up this morning, my driveway was flooded with water and grass clippings from HER! tit for tat she told my husband the night before, and she followed through.

this post BTW has absolutely no flames towards anyone here! I love you all! (i am just mad and tired of being nice and then being kicked in the but for it)

scottygirl
Registered Member
Username: scottygirl

Post Number: 562
Posted From: 64.105.72.152
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 7:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Louie, it's really awful that you have to deal with all of that. What a rotten neighbor you have! BTW, I know you would never flame me; my comment was directed to anyone who might feel the need to come down on me or say it was wrong to keep my drain open while grooming. But now it sounds like that's what a lot of mobile groomers do, so I feel better.

I really, really feel for you. Your neighbor is a complete nasty nightmare! I believe in "what goes around comes around", so she'll get what's coming to her eventually. She probably has a very empty, miserable life, which is why she focuses on causing trouble for other people. I really hate people like that! That really stinks that you have to park the van somewhere else overnight. I'm so sorry this happened to you!

tsmmes
Registered Member
Username: tsmmes

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 67.41.63.159
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 7:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Louie, you wrote...
"I HAD to get commercial plates because of the laws here say having a lettered vehicle needs commercial plates no matter what the weight is."
I don't know if this is a possibility, but check out what the ordinance actually says for parking vehicles.. just because the license plate laws consider it commercial because of the lettering.. parking on your own property may not specify lettering,, it may be weight specific. If it is excluded ask for a variance.. that is what the variance process is for,, an exception to the rule. You have been parking there for a long time with no problem.. get the other neighbors who don't mind to show their support thru a letter. Document what your neighbor is doing and saying that shows her spitefulness. She seemed to have a problem with your drainwater, not your parking your van.. that is easily remedied.
I know where I live you can have a vehicle with lettering parked on your property as long as it doesn't exceed a certain weight.. it shouldn't matter what kind of plates it has.
I am not a mobile, just happen to be going thru the variance process to get permission to groom out of my home. I have spent alot of time in the ordinances looking for ways to use their own rules against them. I hope this helps.
Sharon

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 959
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good advice, sharon. Louie, it really sucks you have to deal with this, I've had the pleasure ( or not so pleasurable) experience with crappy neighbors before. It made life miserable! I got to the point I didn't want to go outside anymore but glad I finally moved from there. It was hard to just walk from the house to the car without the hair standing up on the back of my neck when they were outside and to bite my lip to keep from mouthing off to them to make things worse. Bad part the beef they had with me wasn't even MY fault to begin with (long story) but anyways it does make things miserable to live around such people and I feel for ya. That's the sad thing you can pick where ya want to live but you can't pick your neighbors! LOL HAHA...next time you see her tell her there's only one thing worse than her grass clippings and your water running down the driveway...DOG POOP!!! LOL just kidding that would only make things worse. hope every thing works out for you and don't end up having to park your van elsewhere

splnj
Registered Member
Username: splnj

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 205.188.117.18
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 1:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

louie, I agree with scottygirl, "what goes around comes around". Go to the library and look up your town ordinances. Find out your rights. Maybe she can't cause as much trouble as she thinks she can.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com