Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

The waste water from mobile groming Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Mobile Grooming » GENERATORS/POWER/WATER » The waste water from mobile groming « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

poof (64.252.220.240)
Posted on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does everyone do with the waste water from their daily grooming? I heard it is safer than a car washing. Do the towns get involved with getting rid of the waste water?

groomin gal (165.121.122.84)
Posted on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poof, some mobile groomers actually water trees with the grey water. Some drive their rigs into those spray wash car washes, and drain the grey water in the wash stalls. And, still some just let the grey water drain out at the curb as they groom at their customers' house. I wouldn't do the last mentioned, as it's tacky, and can possibly get you in trouble.

Rls (205.188.197.152)
Posted on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can water trees with the waste, or drain on your ground at home or what ever....what is the big deal about letting it go on the ground as you are at the customers house??? What is so tacky about that? It is just a little bio-degradable soap and water, no different than using detergant for washing your car. I have washed hundreds of dogs and let the water drain as I wash....no customer ever fired me for it, complained or said a word about it. It is all dried up by the time I leave their homes. I just don't see what the big deal is. It is better than lugging it around with you making your vehicle heavy. I know I will get a lot of slack for my comment, but I really DON'T see what the big deal is!

poof (64.252.222.6)
Posted on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanx Grooming Gal.

Louie (67.24.152.123)
Posted on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that draining grey water at a client's house wouldn't "sit" well in urban areas like where I am in. I will HAVE to lug the water around till I can drain it at home.

Travelin Mac (63.156.192.7)
Posted on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 1:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have to admit that I do let it drain at clients houses. But then there are some that I don't. If I park in the drive way, I'm not inclined to let it drain, but if I park on the street, I may.

If it's raining, noone's the wiser. During the winter and the freezing temps we get here, I have to remember to leave the drain open or it will freeze shut.

I don't think that it's a real big issue with clients.

jodycurrin@aol.com (152.163.195.184)
Posted on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 4:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never had anything negative said about draining although I have found in a lot of neighborhoods there are drains for the street that I can park right near and send it to the sewer that way...

jen (64.167.78.215)
Posted on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 2:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my old van didnt have a grey water tank, so it drained right into the street. I never had anyone say anything about it. I live in a city over 100,000 and never had any city official stop me or check my vehicle. my new van has a grey water tank, and ill be draining that into my own yard. i too think that most clients don't care, or even notice, unless its running down their driveways. Now using heavy duty flea products, and letting that go into the street, that i can understand people have issues with .

Bluebonbon (209.179.51.16)
Posted on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a holding tank and sometimes I leave it open, especially if it is a very large dog. I have had a couple of people ask me not to drain my water on their property or in front of the neighbors house. If they ask I leave the tank closed and release it when I get home. The main thing to consider is what is in the water. If you use bidegradable, safe products I don't think it is a big problem. I would suggest not using toxic types of flea dips and draining it into the water drain. Here in Ca there is more of a problems with trash in the storm drains because people drain oil from cars, and other trash into the storm drain. If possible I think it is better to water the grass with it. I also have a couple of self service car washes nearby to use if necessary. I do get asked if the fleas I washed off will come back into the yard while I am draining the water.

groomin gal (209.86.222.212)
Posted on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember hearing about a mobile groomer in the high desert of California. She was sited and fined twice for dumping her grey water out curb side, which surprised the heck out of me. The high desert, i.e. Antelope Valley/Lancaster/Palmdale isn't like Beverly Hills, so I'm not sure what the big deal was. It just made me be more careful of getting in trouble!

Louie (64.157.87.225)
Posted on Saturday, December 8, 2001 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here in Nj, you to can easily get fined for that...dumping in street sewers is a no-no also! My husband is a plumber, so he is going to tap into our basement sewer drain and I can dump through the side of the house directly into the drain with a hose. This isn't approved either, but no one will know and it's silly because all the water is, is soapy!

jodycurrin@aol.com (152.163.204.183)
Posted on Saturday, December 8, 2001 - 4:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would not live up there for all the money in the world because they have ruled ya'll to death as well as taxed you to death too..everyone here takes their old oil to the service station to dump not into our sewers..what lovely people you have up there..I don't use anything toxic to dump out period..does everyone forget why they have sewers to begin with..rain water has more waste by the time it makes it to the drain than one dog washing..and plumbers always want to make a drain issue one they can fix or enlarge..sort of like their pocketbook when they come to your house...

Kitty (151.198.116.14)
Posted on Saturday, December 8, 2001 - 8:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jody....who's talking about oil? We dump ours in NJ at service stations, too! We're talking water here! The concern, of course, is pesticides....and groomers are supposed to be licensed pesticide applicators. I think anybody would be concerned as to what a grooming van is dumping into public sewers or onto private property....WE know it's only soapy water, but they don't! The one thing I will give you is that our concentration of busybodies is probably higher than yours...but then so's our concentration of BODIES!!

Louie (67.24.154.66)
Posted on Saturday, December 8, 2001 - 8:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jody...my husband is an honest plumber, so don't even go there...I need the drain so I can dump the grey water in a RESPECTIBLE way in this city. Here in NJ we have tons of people living in confined spaces, that is true, but this is where I choose to live and therefore I have to abide by town laws

Bluebonbon (209.179.51.61)
Posted on Saturday, December 8, 2001 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was commenting on the many people in Los Angeles who use the water sewer system as their personal trash can, not about groomers dumping grey water. Grey water is a lot less toxic then the many other things dumped into the Los Angeles water drain system that empties right into the ocean. That is what I was taking about. There are even signs by the curb telling people NOT TO DUMP OIL because that is such a common problem here.

Girly Groomer (67.116.217.23)
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 2:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well,

I work in a mobile that has a grey water tank that we drain at the end of the day.There have been times however, where I have forgotten to close the valve and the water went straight out onto the ground. I've never had a problem either way. I think most people will be cool if you dont have a greywater tank as long as its not on the driveway.Whenever I'd face an objection I just tell people that its less mess than washing their car. And when It comes to fleas.. I like the Kelco Dr. FL33 because its totally natural. And if folks are scared of fleas washing out of the van I assure them, if I use a flea shampoo..natural or not, they be dead!!

Poof (204.60.248.212)
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 7:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zoning- Be careful in my state zoning would jump all over me if I dumped grey water in certain towns. Not a good thing to be advertising you are doing it.

groomin gal (209.179.226.237)
Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ashamed to say, that I do indeed let my grey water flow out curbside while bathing. In certain cases, I don't. There are certain swanky houses and areas that would probably frown upon that. Although, I've never had a complaint. But, like Poof mentioned, make sure it's kosher to do in your area, as I have heard of mobiles getting in deep do do over draining issues.

Scrubapup (12.86.202.140)
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not have a gray tank. I use safe products so I dont feel like I am hurting anything. If you can wash you car and let it drain in the street why not soap water off of your dog. I have never had a problem here in Dallas,Texas

doglady21
Registered Member
Username: doglady21

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.61.214.89
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 7:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live in a huge Metro area, with very "upscale" clientelle. No one has ever complained about the waste water. I use biodegradable, non-detergent products, ((E-Z-GROOM)) and I don't think it is "tacky" at all. My clients and I never even discuss it, it is just part of the routine.
Sue

Terry E. Wood (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 205.188.209.167
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Little late with posting, but just learned of your site. I have been mobile grooming over 10 years in overpopulated and divergent No. Va. Over 20 thousand dogs groomed and each one's waste water was unceramoniously released back to the environment from which it came. Never a complaint! Although I park drain curbside in freezing temps.

jengroomer
Registered Member
Username: jengroomer

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 65.32.27.32
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I met a mobile groomer that varies on her lawn where she drains her water. Makes her lawn beautifully green!

(Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 65.129.44.132
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still say it looks very sloppy to have water running down someone's driveway/property JMHO. people find it

louie
Registered Member
Username: louie

Post Number: 1533
Posted From: 65.129.44.132
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 5:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..."interesting" when I tell them the waste water is in a holding tank until I get home to dump it.

sorry, my computer is acting up really bad!!!!!

jengroomer
Registered Member
Username: jengroomer

Post Number: 258
Posted From: 65.32.27.32
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the mobile I met that drains it in her yard lives out in the country, so I don't think anyone really sees lol

mags
Registered Member
Username: mags

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 64.238.157.113
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

heh. i know someone in our RURAL (i.e. country, not town at all) area that got in really deep hot water with the county because of waste water draining onto the ground. he ended up losing his business over it somehow.

his business?

crushed ice. his waste? 100% pure H2O. how's that for beaurocracy?

dogman
Registered Member
Username: dogman

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 205.188.209.167
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 7:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, they guy took a dive. He should have battled the county. Frak Weag in New Jersey took on the same problem and won! he proved that his waste water had no detrimental effect and was not regulated any more than people washing their cars.

mags
Registered Member
Username: mags

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 64.238.157.113
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 7:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nah. personally i think he wanted out anyway. he sold his eq. and trucks and didn't work for like 5 years, so it couldn't have been too hard a decision LOL

they said he had to run it to a sewer (nearest 18 miles) or drain into a septic (expensive here in rock land). he took the easy way i guess!

(Message edited by mags on February 22, 2004)

magnolia
Registered Member
Username: magnolia

Post Number: 607
Posted From: 24.175.108.171
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I drain mine into the run off pipe in our atrium before our front door. the line runs straight into the sewage line.

Groomies (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 69.167.61.148
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Watch out all of you! With the enviromental laws changing so swiftly it makes us mobiles more liable for run off. The drains in the road are not sewer drains they are storm drains. Laws on the books make it a misdermeaner to drain any unfiltered water into the MS4. I know, we were sited and had to go to court. The plumers wife has the right idea.

arizona_slim
Registered Member
Username: arizona_slim

Post Number: 1
Posted From: cache04.lax.untd.com
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I drink it , it helps with my complection}

fshrchik
Registered Member
Username: fshrchik

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 72.174.157.195
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Revisiting this... I am new to mobile grooming and this will be my first winter. I've been watering my yard with my gray tank, but not sure what to do when winter arrives.

We've thought of making a mini-septic tank to drain into. We'd do that by burying a small cistern below the frost line and I'd just drain into that (it'd have holes in the bottom for water to drain out through and we'd put it near our new little tree so it could drink all winter long). Any thoughts on this?

Any other ideas? We live in a rather wintry place, so I can't just let it flow at clients homes - I'd worry about creating ice sheets and a huge liability issue!

annie_in_ny
Registered Member
Username: annie_in_ny

Post Number: 2051
Posted From: 70.18.130.126
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for bringing this up again :-) I am thinking mobile, but going house call first. I really like the idea of draining it at the car wash.

fshrchik
Registered Member

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, if you dump in a car wash do you ask the owners first to make sure it's OK or do you just drive thru and dump and take off? My tank is small enough I will have to do it at least once a day and sometimes twice.

handstripper
Registered Member
Username: handstripper

Post Number: 524
Posted From: 75.36.210.86
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can get in trouble for dumping at a car wash. When I was mobile in CO the owner of the business I worked for got it from the owner of the car wash. It is illegal to dump there, usually there are no dumping signs. Check your state laws.

diggetydog
Registered Member
Username: diggetydog

Post Number: 301
Posted From: 24.115.58.27
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just keep my gray tank open all yr round & it drains in the road or the driveway. I don't want to take a chance in the winter with closing it then it freezes & you get back up. Nobody has complained yet so I will just keep doing what I have been doing.

poofy
Registered Member
Username: poofy

Post Number: 554
Posted From: 69.182.188.21
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just dump in an area in your yard...

fshrchik
Registered Member

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poofy,

I was worried about doing this in the winter. I don't want to cause harm to any of my plants and I don't think I want to cause big ice build ups. This winter I could get away with it as our yard is mostly dirt, so as long as I keep the dogs out of it whenever it thaws so they don't get all mucky I guess I could do that. But, once we landscape the yard, I won't be able to just drain out any ol' place.

Hmmmm, if I back my trailer/truck in then I could drain into the area we have fenced off for a garden for next year. The dogs don't go in there and there won't be any plants in there over winter. Guess I'll try that this winter!

handstripper
Registered Member

Post Number: 527
Posted From: 76.195.3.94
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to say that not everyone has a yard. I'm thinking of going mobile since I moved and the van cannot be stored at my apartment, and if it could I'd have nowhere to dump because there is no grass here... anywhere.

louie
Registered Member

Post Number: 2342
Posted From: 67.80.249.139
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when i dump in the winter...i have to change areas where i let the water go..if i keep dumping in the same spot, the ground becomes saturated and then the water freezes and melts etc and the grass gets destroyed...i usually make ice slicks all over my driveway area and fall at least 3 times each winter...i swear i am going to break a leg one year....it IS a nightmare!

northerntailssharpening
Registered Member
Username: northerntailssharpening

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 68.63.75.46
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about a city sewer? They do that down here with no complaint (so Im told). The tanks dont hold that much and would take a few minutes to release. Just soap and conditioner mostly, the drains from the homes go down the same lines.
I believe that dumping on the raw ground would be a violation rather than a concrete enclosed sewer system.
Maybe Im talking out of line.

Jeff
Northern Tails Sharpening
Mobile, Alabama
One of the "Blade Guyz" Team
989-370-1084
www.northerntails.com

fshrchik
Registered Member

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope, you're not talking out of line. A city sewer dump would be OK where I live - but how do I do that? Where do I find an access port or whatever? I guess I need to call the city and ask. When I got my biz license from them, they never asked what I was going to do with the waste water. It was warm weather then and I wasn't thinking about winter, so I didn't care that they didn't ask.

louie
Registered Member

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

its illegal by me:-( no sewer dumping!

northerntailssharpening
Registered Member
Username: northerntailssharpening

Post Number: 474
Posted From: 68.63.75.46
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The sewers are on the roads where the grates are along the streets. Many have them in the middle of the block and most are on corners. Im sure you've seen these along roads. They just stop and run a hose and dump it. Takes 5 minutes.
Next would be RV parks or state parks where they dump the camper sewage.
Check it out by you.

Jeff
Northern Tails Sharpening
Mobile, Alabama
One of the "Blade Guyz" Team
989-370-1084
www.northerntails.com

fshrchik
Registered Member

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Louie - where is it they want you to dump it?

Jeff - I'm in a small, rural town. There's one neighborhood I know of a few miles from me that has what looks like sewer/storm drains. There's nothing in my neighborhood and I'm in an old section of the "downtown" area. I guess I could ask at the two KOAs in town, but am sure they'd charge. They're not real convenient either. I'll check tho and see what they say about me doing that. I'm starting to think backing in and dumping into my fenced garden area may be my best bet. That keeps me from making dangerous ice slicks and keeps it in a fenced area away from the dogs...

louie
Registered Member

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i can dump it on my own property. my neighbors have already complained and i have had the police and health dept up my *ss. grey water dumping is no joke by me and in any urban setting:-(

papsnpaints
Registered Member
Username: papsnpaints

Post Number: 1031
Posted From: 204.96.151.117
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Next would be RV parks or state parks where they dump the camper sewage.
some interstate rest areas have RV sewer dumps for public use. If you had a state park near you and had a yearly sticker you could go in and dump. I think you can by a yearly sticker at a discount during the off season. There are lots of people that use the state parks year round. You might find an RV bulletin board like this one and ask where they dump without charge when traveling. check out rv dot net

fshrchik
Registered Member

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Louie,

Were your neighbors complaining about you dumping on your own property?

Papsnpaints - No state park within easy driving here. My best bet for RV dumping would be the two KOAs in town.

I'm thinking my best bet is into the fenced garden area or if we bury our own little "septic" tank and drain into that in the winter. This doesn't help folks with no yard tho.

I have several clients that would be happy to have me watering their lawn or flower beds while grooming their dog - so that would work in warm months for those of you with no yard. So, again, just the winter being more of an issue...

louie
Registered Member

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes fshrchik they complained because at first i was dumping down my driveway and it traveled to the end of their driveway down the street...it pooled at the bottom of their driveway and they called the health dept on me.
(they could have just come to me and told me they were angry and i would have thought of something else!)
i now have to attach a really long hose to my grey tank so it can go "UP" the driveway and into my rear yard (driveway is on a slight incline forcing the water to go DOWN the driveway into the street) so in the f--in' winter, i have to bring the huge hose INTO the house to store it or else it f--in' freezes up and i can't attach it to the water tank hose!
i hate the winter mobile...their is NO EASY DAY!

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 998
Posted From: 156.34.189.5
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

louie, please don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel:-) LOL!!

jimily
Registered Member
Username: jimily

Post Number: 892
Posted From: 97.96.11.34
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When my van was about a month old I broke the "L" pipe that would shoot the water sideways. Now it goes straight down under the van. I leave that valve open. Since I only do little dogs there isn't much water at any one place.
I also live in florida so it is almost always evaporated before I leave.
I got yelled at by a car wash guy.

fshrchik
Registered Member

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hee hee, that's what I was thinkin! (I have people tell me that all the time. )

I worry about people seeing me any time I dump anywhere and complaining without even asking me about it first. Oh well, so far no one has....

fshrchik
Registered Member

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jimily - I do a mix of sizes including some large and/or very filthy dogs. Can amount to quite a bit of water at just one stop. I had one doggie fill up my 21 g gray tank once - that was one dirty pooch!

Were you dumping at the car wash when you got yelled at? Bummer as that would certainly be an easy answer to gray water in the winter (or those w/o yards).

bowwowwheels
Registered Member
Username: bowwowwheels

Post Number: 1559
Posted From: 4.152.207.223
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to the EPA it is illegal to dump into any area that feeds a "blue line" (the ones on a map) stream OR to dump in such a manner that the waste water runs into a blue line stream no matter what is in it period, end of story. Storm drains go directly into the water table via rivers and streams without processing so it is illegal to dump into that storm drain. I don't care if it only takes 5 minutes-do YOU want to be responsible for putting whatever into the drinking water supply and sending it downstream? I don't; and there are enough fools who do do it to make up for those of us who don't. And trust me, you don't want the EPA crawling up your business because they levy fines that are onerous and business killers.

My area has been in a drought for several years and I water something with my waste water year round. Trees, shrubs, flowers, something can use that water! Ask your clients if they'd like you to water their big trees-bet they'll say "YES!!" in a heartbeat :-)

fshrchik
Registered Member

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bowwowwheels - glad you brought up the EPA thing. I didn't know that, but it makes sense.

Now, don't know where you're located, but in an area that stays freezing in winter (sometimes w/ or w/o snow) it isn't good for the plants to water them (Louie mentioned killing some of her grass in a post above somewhere). So, it isn't possible to water plants year round in many areas. (I do water when the temperatures allow.) My area is one of those. So, just needed to figure something out for the winter. It is sounding like my best bet is to dump into my fenced off veggie garden area. Nothing grows there permanently, so I won't be killing anything. It's fenced off from the dogs so they won't be getting into it and there's no pathway going through there so no one's going to fall on the sheets of ice I'll be creating. Will just have to back into the driveway all the time - guess I'll get real good at backing!

(Message edited by fshrchik on October 16, 2007)

poofy
Registered Member
Username: poofy

Post Number: 556
Posted From: 69.182.188.21
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Handstripper I have no yard either. But I keep my van at my mother's house she has a back yard that use to be a dumping area for garbage.. Lucky mee.
The Dept of agriculture told me they are not concerned with the waste water because she knows it takes a long time to soak in..
And if anyone challenges anyone remember the story of the town that would not allow some guy to dump his wate water in his yard. He challenged the town. The challenge was comparring car washing water to mobile waste water. The safest was mobile waste water. So the judge said if they have him stop dumping in his yard the town would no longer be able to wash their cars in their yards.. I remember reading that about 6 years ago... anyone else remember that story... So maybe some of us need to challenge the towns...
When I buy a house I will have a septic tank area for my waste water. I will have a nice heated garage and hot water running to this garage.. I will save some of the equity from my condo just for my van's personalized garage... I can't wait. 18 months to go to pay off my van and start looking for my house...

dogdayz
Registered Member
Username: dogdayz

Post Number: 908
Posted From: 207.119.81.175
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When my shop is finished we are having the grey water empty in the ditch, the same as the washing machine does. Why cant you do that?

groom123
Registered Member
Username: groom123

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 64.12.116.6
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dogdayz, in my town it is illegal for that to happen. NOTHING gets put into drainage ditches or lawns or sewer drains without a ticket being issued. It is MANDATED that it go into the sewer. Where do you live that you can run washer water into the ditch? most places outlawed that a long time ago.

dogdayz
Registered Member
Username: dogdayz

Post Number: 912
Posted From: 69.29.151.18
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live outside city limits and I have a septic tank for my home and shop but the wash machine has drained in the ditch since I bought the house so I guess it is because I do not have city sewer...

k9stylist1968
Registered Member
Username: k9stylist1968

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 70.252.129.221
Posted on Saturday, December 8, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to empty the grey tank into 2 1/2 gallon buckets and carry them into the restroom in the store. When my employers first got the van the city okayed dumping into the storm drains, but they were never notified of the EPA over riding that law--until some tree-hugging liberal hippie communist reported us for dumping. My employer had to write a letter to the EPA outlining a plan for dumping the tank. I've been after him to contact a car wash or two and get permission to dump there, but he hasn't done so, so I have to (sometimes at 7:30 or 8 pm in 20-some degree weather) carry buckets of water.

NOW to make matters worse, they came up with the brilliant idea of removing the doorknob from the door closest to the van's parking spot in order to run the cord to the ceramic heater. So now I can't open that door to run the hose to fill the fresh tank OR carry buckets to the toilet to empty the grey tank. Hopefully, they'll come up with a better solution for the longterm--but they seem to think they've "solved" the problem of plugging in the heater.

fshrchik
Registered Member

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, December 8, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey now, k9stylist1968! I'm one of those tree-hugging liberal hippie in many people's minds and proud of it!

It would have been nice if the person who reported had simply asked you about it and what was in the water and what products you used and then they'd have realized it was not harmful at all - much less than when most folks wash their cars! If anyone should ask us mobile groomers about our dumping and what's in the water, we should react kindly and talk to them openly about it - a good reminder!

What a pain to have to drain into buckets and haul it into the store!! I hope they get the electrical and water refilling stuff taken care of for you! Maybe you could contact a car wash or two?

k9stylist1968
Registered Member
Username: k9stylist1968

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 75.35.181.107
Posted on Sunday, December 9, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I DID try and tell the guy what was in the grey water, and he went on and on about 'phosphate' shampoo I(I'm guessing he thought it was organo-phosphate flea/tick products???) and how I was dumping that into a stream that feeds the lakes where "we" swim and fish.... He didn't want education; he "knew" I was dumping hazardous product into "his" sewer drain. I don't think it would have helped counter his "knowledge" if I'd stood IN the stream of draining water and let it soak me--or even if I'd filled a glass and drank it! (which would have been gross, but harmless) THAT'S my problem with the tree-huggers and "environmentalists" and AR activists; they believe that they, and they alone, care about the earth and THEIR way is the right way, period. Their holier-than-thou attitude is beyond annoying!

handstripper
Registered Member

Post Number: 657
Posted From: 75.36.221.79
Posted on Sunday, December 9, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got to stand up for myself. I'm a tree-hugging environmentalist and I don't have a "holier than thou" attitude. I just believe in doing right by our planet. How about a nearby RV park or RV storage space K9? They usually have a gray water dump spot.

fshrchik
Registered Member

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, December 9, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear, can see that this *could* (but hasn't yet!) get ugly.

Yes, some "tree-huggers" have holier than thou attitudes, just like some religious folks, like some conservatives, like "name your group here". Truly, you find that attitude in many of the "groups" that could be named.

It does sound like that person had no interest in knowing what was truly in the gray water and your products, that's a shame. I've created my own "septic" system for winter time use - below frost line and will provide water down where I want my tree's roots to grow to. In the warmer months, I will water my yard or clients yard (have had some request I do so!). I don't think there are many (if any) products in use anymore in dog grooming that would be harmful to the environment, especially as diluted as we use them - am I wrong? All of mine are biodegradable, cruelty free, etc.

Just remember, the majority of tree-huggers aren't of the "holier than thou" attitude, they're more like me and handstripper. And just think, I truly care about the environment and what will be left to future generations and I don't have any children. Yet, some of the "holier than thou" attitudes amongst the more conservative folk call me selfish for wanting environmental regulations followed now and they are the ones with children. Oh well. You do what you can, educate those willing to be educated...

kelli
Registered Member
Username: kelli

Post Number: 424
Posted From: 216.96.8.209
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was dumping it on my lawn, but then the ground froze and I realized it was a major safety hazard-- no matter where I drain it, it pools on my drive or the street in a sheet of ice. There is a rarely (if ever) used car wash down the street and I decided it makes a lot more sense to dump there. If anyone gets mad, I'll let you all know. :-)

redagent99
Registered Member
Username: redagent99

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 69.47.197.131
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just curious, how do you water your lawn with the grey water? Very large watering can??

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 2751
Posted From: 76.31.131.97
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just run the hose out to yard and let it drain there.

redagent99
Registered Member

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 69.212.41.240
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if there would be a way to pressurize it or some way that I could attach my sprinkler head to it in order to do the watering...Any ideas anyone?

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 2754
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

buy a water pump you can get a 110 or one that runs off 12 volt battery. Only downside to this is you may have clumps of hair in the grey water that will clog up a smaller pump so you would probably need a bigger one or way to install a filter before it hit the pump to keep from burning it up. Probably not worth it to go through all that trouble would be easier just to get a bucket and spread it around if where you're wanting it to go is not within reach of a drain hose.

groomin_gal
Registered Member
Username: groomin_gal

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 75.15.242.241
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, a lot of time has passed since my first post in 2001 about draining water. I've mobile groomed many a dog since that post.

I have had only 3-5 requests in all that time to not let the water drain curb-side. So, I guess it wasn't a big deal after all.

At least not in Bakersfield, California.

Louie dear; a special greetings, and long distance hug to you! We used to e-mail back and forth right when you got your first grooming rig. I'm so pleased you are doing well!
I'm a dog groomer............my life's gone to the dogs!

louie
Registered Member

Post Number: 3354
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

groomin gal:-)
i miss you AND miss our emails!
love christina
"I think the most important thing a woman can have, next to her talent, of course - is her hairdresser" - Joan Crawford

klawbag
Registered Member
Username: klawbag

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 72.42.88.174
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weird issue... New position, just learned that owner dumps in a not so eco-friendly manner. That's all I'll say. I'm desperately searching for a list of bathing products that are biodegradable and environmentally safe? I really hate that this is an issue, it bothers the hell out of me and my employment's on the line because I choose not to dump. That's that. Thinking about the pyrenthrin F/T shampoos (insecticides) all those wonderful disinfectants and bleach down the wrong drain... Ultimately it ends up in all our water tables. I'll pass

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since I got my trailer if I park in the street I just let the water drain out to the road. If I'm parked in someone's driveway I hold the water till I leave and then let it drain on the street as I go. I do not use any shampoo with insecticides. All my shampoo is eco friendly, and I can bet it is a hell of a lot safer than that crap some of those carpet cleaning people let dump out to the road :-)

groomin_gal
Registered Member

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 75.38.80.89
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I swear to God, the only time I have issues about draining my silly water are in horrible mobile home parks.

Here's my issue: What about when people wash their cars? Yep, guess what's in the car soap? Most grooming shampoos are much easier on the environment then what ever the heck is in car wash detergent.

WHAT DO THEY DO WITH THE RUN OFF WATER FROM WASHING THEIR CAR?

Sheez!
This restless spirit takes a long way back home.....Robert Plant

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 3002
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol exactly, and I've seen people washing their RV's with bleach in the driveway!

groomin_gal
Registered Member

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 75.38.80.89
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Point made, thanks Magnolia! :-)

People get anal over the silliest things. It's not like we are carrying around bio-hazard material!
This restless spirit takes a long way back home.....Robert Plant

brahmadog
Registered Member
Username: brahmadog

Post Number: 445
Posted From: 204.210.238.179
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right now, I hold my gray water until I get home, then dump it in the driveway/grassy area next to the driveway. It runs down to the street and into the storm drain. No biggie, since everyone washes cars and stuff too. We are moving soon to a house that is on a septic system. Hubby is concerned about me dumping water in the grass, he's afraid it will be too much for the septic. I don't know either, I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I've always lived with city sewer, so I have no clue about any of this. I don't have a problem leaving my gray tank open to "trickle" out during the day if I need to, since I usually park in the street in front of peoples houses, not in the driveways.

louie
Registered Member

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you know what, i was actually thinking that it is not so much that we dump soapy water....It is because we are washing animals and fecal matter going down the drain and then into the streets....I know it's not like we are washing dogs covered in poop all day BUT i think that is what is thought...after 8 years of dealing with this grey water issue (and it is a HUGE one in my area) I think that this is more the issue and of course the threat of pesticides issue.
"Toil awhile...endure awhile...believe always...and never turn back.
-fortune cookie

rpg
Registered Member
Username: rpg

Post Number: 1211
Posted From: 199.246.2.9
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is all in the perception of the common person.
People are soooo used to seeing people wash their vehicles and watch the dirty (grease, oil, slime, etc.) water go down the driveway and into the street to the drain that they take it for granted that it's okay.
Then something new to watch; dirty water from a vehicle that does something they are unfamiliar with........
We go to trials and tournaments with our dogs and people in tents and tent trailers are allowed to wash their dishes using containers on a picnic table and when done through the wash water away onto the ground. However, we in RV's are not allowed to drain our sink water out onto the ground. What's the difference in the water???
It's all in perception!!
One was right in front of the public in a container on a picnic table... the other more like a drama movie where weird things are leaked into the ground from unknown sources.... ....
all in perception................

pionono
Registered Member
Username: pionono

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 72.195.179.41
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rain washes the cows, horses and pigs behinds and it runs right to the river we get our drinking water from..
"Semper Fi"
www.pinkpoodlemaconga.com

louie
Registered Member

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i totally agree pionono....but waste water is waste and the average neighbor hates it....
trust me:-(
-fortune cookie

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well there are some farms getting shut down because of that too, because of contaminating nearby crops resulting in like the incident with the tainted spinach etc.
I used to live on a dairy for a couple of years and we ran over 1K dairy cattle twice a day into a milking barn, and cows poop...A LOT! Twice a day we had to wash out the milking barn sanitize it with chemicals and squeegee the barn out. It all ran down a culvert into a holding spot dug out into the ground...kinda looked like a pond, but stunk to high heaven. When it got full or rained a lot they would pump it into a truck (we called it the honey wagon) and would spray it all out across the pasture. Actually that stuff is not supposed to go into ditches or where rain water runs off into creeks etc, but spraying it out in a pasture and when it rains doesn't keep it from getting into the run off either, just eliminates more of it from getting in there. :-)

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 3006
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

brahmadog, I wouldn't worry about the septic system, unless you have a really small yard and a really small septic system. From my experience with septic systems is the pipes they down in the yard ( and they lay down a lot) to give the run off from the house time to absorb off into the ground, before actually hitting the septic tank itself, or once get it full. The pipes they lay down have holes in them to spill off underground, or at least with the two septic systems I've had that's what type of pvc pipes they layed out. You just don't want to dump your water by the septic lines in case the ground gets too saturated from rain etc that the water in the septic lines have no where to go. You will definately have nice green grass around your septic lines! LOL

hairyterrier
Registered Member
Username: hairyterrier

Post Number: 1357
Posted From: 74.192.66.98
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The thing you want to watch with your septic system is the dog hair. You really need to screen it out before it goes into your septic. It can clog your drain field lines and then you've got trouble. I'd just drain it out on the ground somewhere.

We just had to replace our entire septic system. The field lines got clogged (not by dog hair) and new state laws would not allow us to replace them because the soil drainage/absorption is so poor in this area. We had to get the new aerobic septic system to the tune of about $7500:-( It works thru 3 chambers, including chlorination and then sprays clean water out over the lawn/pasture.

brahmadog
Registered Member

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 5:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I think I'll just let it trickle out like I've been doing this winter when my gray tank dump valve got frozen open.
I have a Wag'n Tails van, does anyone know if there is a cap type thing with a hose insert that I could put on my gray tank pipe so I could direct the flow of water? I would love to be able to water my flowers and veggies in the spring/summer.

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 3007
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, did I read it wrong? I thought she meant just letting it run out to the yard, not directly into the septic tank.. noooooooo I wouldn't put it directly into the septic tank!

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that a requirement now for Texas to use the aerobic system now or just in your area hairyterrier? My brother is needing his septic redone bad, I don't think he knows about this!

klawbag
Registered Member

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

People who wash RVs with bleach in the driveways are idiots... There's obviously a difference of water draining down the road in town and into a treatment facility. There IS however a moral issue I have with draining bleach and a bunch of chemicals you wouldn't want in your drinking water, into a creek! You want to laugh about that too?

rpg
Registered Member
Username: rpg

Post Number: 1213
Posted From: 199.246.2.9
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a commercial running right now on tv...
I might be off on the % number,but I know it's very low.
Something about - - did you know only 10% (don't quote me) of the water that goes into the Toronto drains goes to water treatment centers??
Most of the public think all of it goes to treatment centers......

So... if that's true for Toronto - - how many other cities is it true for??

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's laughing over the fact that people fuss about the water draining from a grooming vehicle when they sit right there and wash their car in their driveway with harmful chemicals to the enviroment and washing RV's with bleach in the driveway. No lie, I'm sitting there in the street one day in my trailer grooming a dog when I was done, the guy across the street comes walking up to me and tells me I shouldn't be letting the water run off into the street and he reeks of bleach. I get in my truck and I just happened to look over there and there he was pouring bleach into a sprayer connected to his hose shooting it all over the RV...water running down the to same storm drain as mine just on opposite side of the street! People putting Tide with bleach and pouring bleach on driveways and using a pressure sprayer to wash it off, it's stuff like that they don't fuss about, but fuss about water coming from a grooming trailer or van.

klawbag
Registered Member

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did I mention I fish in this area? Why the mentality that it's acceptable to continue to do stupid things because they've been done for so long? I mean, now that we're learning (I guess not likely)how to make better choices with our waste? By waste I mean all waste. I for one enjoy living in my area because it's one of few places left that isn't completely "manned" all over. I have a septic and well water. I compost my livestock manure. I grow organic crops and eat fish I catch in the river. I know my crops aren't organic because it's been show that through human intervention organic soil doesn't exist anymore. Thank you factory farming. Yeah rain washes poop off animals, poop that composts into the soil and naturally improves it. pesticides that wash into the creek disrupt the food chain by destroying insects. Everyone feels none of that matters because we don't see it but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try harder so that our grandkids can appreciate the things we take for granted. I know I sound extreme but I'm not wrong. By the way, the numbers of factory produced livestock and it's tainted waste are actually quite an issue, one of many...thousand.

By the way, I asked for advice on biodegradable products and I received stories of how reckless people do reckless things because they can. Does anyone have the answer for me or do you just want to go wipe out another species? Maybe contribute to the cancer rate?

Anyway, how hard is it to just replace some household items for safer ones?

louie
Registered Member

Post Number: 3562
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

one day i am going to take the hose of my waste water and shove it up the next neighbor's butt that complains.
-fortune cookie

hairyterrier
Registered Member
Username: hairyterrier

Post Number: 1358
Posted From: 74.192.66.98
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Magnolia, it's a requirement now in areas where you have a lot of clay. Around here, we only have about 18-24" of topsoil, then you hit solid clay. Field lines are down 36-42" and clay does not disperse water that well. So in areas like here, the aerobic system is the only thing that is allowed now. Another fairly new requirement is that you have to have an independent engineer come out and design the system layout. He has to map out where the tank and the sprayheads will be in relation to the house, outbuildings, fences, property lines and wells. The number of people and number of bedrooms will also determine what size will be required. We had to have a 2300 gallon tank with 3 sprayheads spread out so that they covered nearly 5000sq ft. His paperwork has to be filed with the state and the county before a permit will be issued for installation. Once installation begins, an inspector must come out and inspect it before it is filled in and covered and makes sure that the previous tank is collapsed and filled in.

Talk about taking an act of Congress to get something done. And naturally, anytime something like this goes wrong, my husband is always out of town:-(

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My brother's ground is like that, not far before starting to hit solid clay, joy. He has tree roots
blocking his field lines and omg it stinks where it bubbles out down the yard and the wind blows the right direction, but boy that grass is greeeen and loves to grow! LOL

bassetlady
Registered Member
Username: bassetlady

Post Number: 316
Posted From: 24.58.193.79
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 7:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brahmadog, call Jamie at WagnTails and ask him. I have had to call him when I have had problems. He is the goto guy. He is very good. Don't be surprised either if you get an email from them possibly answering your question. I have learned not to ask too many questions on this post as they monitor it.

gsdlvr
Registered Member
Username: gsdlvr

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 75.86.183.178
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here in cold Wisconsin I have to leave my grey tank open a bit to avoid it freezing completely. I did get stopped by a police officer , talked my way out of it, but it is illegal to "dump" waste water...I always wondered how my biodegradable soap water compared to the garbage trucks with "something" dripping from them, have to suck it up, the law is the law, makes sense to some degree..I let it trickle in winter and in summer dump it at the end of my driveway (live sort of rural) ... spose it's not the greenest, but some consulation is it's biodegradable shampoo

brahmadog
Registered Member

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 8:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yeah Bassett I call them all the time. :-) I got a thank you e-mail from them after I helped out someone from here that had a question about winterizing their unit each night. Said they were happy someone who actually knew what they were talking about had answered her. I think they monitor the "other board" more, since there is more of a mobile discussion there. I've seen some people get some crazy, wrong advice about Wag'n Tail vans over there.

bluebonbon
Registered Member
Username: bluebonbon

Post Number: 2353
Posted From: 75.28.22.205
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalco shampoo. Biodegradable and safe. I have used it for years. I never use toxic flea shampoos. I only recommend that people use one of the spot on products. If the pet has ticks or lice, I refer to vet who can use the more potent products.

redagent99
Registered Member

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 69.47.197.131
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hahahaha...brahmadog...think that was me. They e-mailed me too and made sure that I understood what I was doing. They seem to be really good with that. Since then I have contacted Jamie several times about some issues I have had with things breaking (nothing that was their fault just mechanical difficulties from buying used off the street and from me not knowing what I am doing!)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com