Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Razor Burn Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Customer Relations » DISSATISFIED CUSTOMERS » Razor Burn « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

laurie
Registered Member
Username: laurie

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 68.52.18.247
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOOOOOKKKKKKK......... I understand razor burn can be irritating to the dog, but my question is this. Why does everyone rush the dog to the vet over it? Why not spray it or cream it and call it a day? DO they rush their kids to the doctor over every scrape? DO they rush themselves to the doctor when they break out in a rash or nick themselves with the razor? No, they don't.

I rescued a dog from animal control back before thanksgiving, and spent a whole day dematting and making him look beautiful for adoption. (lhasa) I found him a home through my vet when I took him to have him fixed. These people were an awesome older somewhat disabled couple that lost their dog a few months before. They have been bringing him back to me to have him groomed, along with a recently rescued shih tzu. This past time, the lhasa was really matted, but I didn't get them to sign the release because they were gone before I had the chance to figure out he was matted. SO, I called her and told her he'd have to be shaved this time. SHe said fine so I did. I used a 10 blade underneath his arms and stomach, and butt areas, and I actually got a 4 blade through the top and the legs.. He looked pretty good. This was on Tuesday. I wake up to a message today (SAT) that she had to rush him to the vet and that he was eat up with razor burn and it cost over $100.00 dollars and she wants her money back ON BOTH DOGS. (only the lhasa had razor burn) I called her, and she screamed at me on the phone like a crazy woman. The vet looked at the dog and basically gave her some hydrocortisone spray and charged her 100.oo for it. YOU CAN GET THE SPRAY AT THE GROCERY STORE!! ANyway, i'm not giving her money back because this was on Tuesday that I groomed him, and if he started itching she should have sprayed or creamed or something by now before he scratched and made it worse . I can understand her being ticked over him breaking out. I know it isn't professional to cause razor burn. But, she knows how much I love Buddy (the lhasa) and I would never hurt him on purpose. She knows what good care he has received from me. WHy the attack? And WHY OH WHY can't people take care of a dog without rushing it to the vet for every little thing? . It's not rocket science. If it itches PUT SOME &^%&^% CREAM ON IT!!!!! Am I wrong here?

(Message edited by Laurie on March 5, 2005)

laurie
Registered Member

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS.....WHat upsets me the most is that I'll never see this dog again. I almost kept him for myself because he was just so sweet,. I even gave his owner 1 free groom, and 3 half price grooming sessions to help insure he would become a regular, because I wanted to make sure he would be kept up with on his grooming, and receive the best grooming possible, (because I am the best groomer out there...LOL) But seriously, how could she think I would hurt him on purpose. Surely in all her life she's had a dog with razor burn before, or do I really suck that bad? I feel like total crap.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 8897
Posted From: 69.66.87.121
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, I'd insist on getting the complete bill from the vet. There's a very good chance that she's dinging you for other charges--I've had that happen.

However, I'd pay the (justified) vet bill and fire the customer, just for your own reputation. Let her try it on with someone else. Some people get terribly obsessed with their pets, some just get greedy; many are D.M.B. dumb.

shedog
Registered Member
Username: shedog

Post Number: 746
Posted From: 68.8.17.174
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 3:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Years ago I had a friend who rushed her kids to the doc for every little thing..splinter in finger, scraped knees, etc. Her kids are grown and now she takes the dogs to vet for every little thing! Some folks just don't use common sense. But, for what it's worth, many owners "attack" the groomer out of their own embarrassment for not taking care of the pet. Did you mention to the owner that the dog might be sensitive to a close shave? We always try to tell the owner to watch the area for signs of redness or irritation and what to do if it happens. Usually, if phrased in a concerned way, without blaming owner for dog's matted mess of a coat (not easy to do), it will be cool with customer. Try to bring some humor in to conversation with something like...we've all had a close shave at one time or another yada yada yada. Clipper burns happen to the best of groomers. You didn't let the dog get matted! Maybe write a nice note explaining the demat procedure and offer to show them how to avoid a shave down next time. Maybe she's calmed down by now!

laurie
Registered Member

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I told her I would be happy to give her (yet another) free groom on Buddy next time she brought him in, but she insist that she'll never bring him back because I clearly have no idea what I am doing. What??????? She didn't see this dog when I got him from the pound. They took a digital of him though. I should get a copy of the photo and send it to her so she can see what I went through to get him in the condition he was in when she adopted him. It really pisses me off that she would let him get matted again after all I have done. SHe doesn't understand why I had to shave him this time when I got the matts out once before, even though I explained it took ALL DAY to get them out the first time. I only booked an hour for Buddy this time. I just want to tear her face off. Such a freakin'backstabbing &^%&. (her vet is my vet BTW, so it's really embarrassing.) SHe used to use my vet's groomer in years past, but switched to me, and has been singing my praises and sending me clients, etc.... and now this happens. OH......and a client she sent me called and cancelled their next appt. a couple of hours ago. This SUCKS!

shedog
Registered Member
Username: shedog

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 68.8.17.174
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it looks like you've done what you can do. Yep, it sucks. But send her a copy of the photo, anyway. She'll let the dog get matted again and then it will be the next groomer who she screams at. :-) Take it in stride, Laurie, and let it go. It happens to all of us one time or another.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 2519
Posted From: 156.34.173.63
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohh that burns. Isn't this always the way. THe ones you bend over backwards for. One thing is don't call it clipper burn. It is an irritation, not a burn. Unless you used hot blades, which likely isn't the case. I would get the itemized vet bill as stated.

Today a client pretty much accused me of stealing their leash last visit! She wouldn't leave her leash with me today as it mysteriously disappeared last appt and the only place she uses it is to come to my place. I burned me bad after I got to thinking about it. I cut back on SAturdays and she is one of only 5 dogs I do on this day and usually I only have her dog. She is tight as bark and I figure that is her sad existence. Next time I plan to tell her that the leash is safe here and not to be so freaking stupid. LOL! Sorry I am annoyed today also. Life is short-deep breath!

20paws
Registered Member
Username: 20paws

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 207.255.128.222
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The woman is clueless and very dramatic & I'm sure the vet knows it. It's her fault in the first place for letting the dog get matted. She figured big deal, you would take care of it. Now she's diverting attention by blaming you.

And quit offering her free grooms. She obviously doesn't appreciate it. Free grooms, half-priced grooms and she still makes a scene at the vets office!! Looney Toon! Hopefully the next groomer will make her pay a de-matting fee.

20paws
Registered Member
Username: 20paws

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 207.255.128.222
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, I'm with you on using an antibiotic cream or something before running off to the vet. Just this morning, a customer asked if I would take a look at his dogs rear since it seemed very sore & she yelped when he touched her tail. He didn't want to hear the yelping, so could I take a look & do her anals? Turns out she has a rash. Told him try the cream before running to the vet & maybe save the $27 office visit.

loves
Registered Member
Username: loves

Post Number: 1675
Posted From: 68.20.186.94
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I notice that an area on a dog (neck, behind ears) looks a little too pink I'll advise the owner to keep an eye on it and/or to keep some antibiotic creme, i.e. Neosporin on it for a couple days to fend off any problems. Seems every time I notice something, nothing happens (I'll call a couple days later to check) BUT the times I don't notice anything out of the ordinary is when you hear either through the grapevine several months later or they call for another groom SEVERAL months later that last time "you burned the dog". GRRRRR, really wish they would say something when it occurs. I also tell everyone that what I am advising is what I would do as the owner of multiple dogs and compare it to a mother with one child who runs to the doctor for every little thing and a mother with several kids who has learned what needs attention and what doesn't. I also tell them that even with that if something doesn't show signs of improving in 2-3 days, then I will call the vet.

barker
Registered Member
Username: barker

Post Number: 198
Posted From: 4.250.81.76
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its so obvious that she doesn't have a clue, this dog was rescued to now be neglected by her in not taking proper care of its coat, & she has the balls to yell at you, You are very much like me you take it personally & in this case you are justified you rescued the dog & thought that these people would provide it with the proper care & love. Anyone of us can razor burn or clipper burn a dog, its nothing new & sometimes cannot be prevented no matter how hard we try, getting personal now , when I do my bikini area I need to use bikini bare {love the person who invented it} do you think I run off to my doctor if I don't. I would not pay her vet bill I would not offer her anything she does'nt deserve your kindness. I would mail her a picture of the dog when you got if it would make you feel better, but they sound like jerks & I don't think that it will affect them. I am sorry that this happened to you , but chalk it up to an idiot who does not deserve the dog or your services. You can't please everyone no matter how hard you try.

vroomvroom
Registered Member
Username: vroomvroom

Post Number: 806
Posted From: 24.92.157.242
Posted on Saturday, March 5, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dont see any way that you should be held responsible for the bill. Its her dog now, if it gets clipper irritation, its her responsibility to deal with it. She either needs to keep the dog brushed out or pay for the consequences of her actions. Period.

aidenn
Registered Member
Username: aidenn

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 168.150.234.100
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 1:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've learned a lot of things along the way in this business.

One thing I've learned is not to play vet. If a client comes and says I've brush burned or clipper burned a dog I don't tell them to just put cream on it. If a client doesn't have the sense to put an e-collar on the dog and treat the hotspot themselves then obviously they need to go to a vet. What will happen is that the cream won't do any good because the dumb dog keeps licking it off and so the hotspot gets worse. Before you know it the thing's infected and then the vet bill is 10X worse. If people are that stupid just send them to the vet, they're gonna end up there anyway.

Another thing is, don't take people so seriously. They act like they've never made a mistake of their own in their whole entire lives. That's a load of bull*&^$. If they can't forgive you for being human then who needs 'em. Anyone who follows their example is an idiot as well. Don't let it bother you. They haven't written a story about you and published it in the newspaper yet, have they? Well then, their circle of influence is very small, just as they are very small themselves.

Just run a good business. Keep your blades sharp (that cuts down on clipper burn). Brush carefully. Be gentle to the dogs. Smile at the customers. And TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!! No one else will, least of all customers. Stop giving free grooms and standing on your head for customers. Run your business like a business, not like a charity. Make your rules and treat everyone the same. And remember, s*&^ happens. It's what you do with it that counts.

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 2522
Posted From: 156.34.173.63
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

aidenn. I enjoyed your post!!

suez
Registered Member
Username: suez

Post Number: 848
Posted From: 152.163.101.11
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You gave her a free groom and 3 half price grooms and when the freebies ran out she ignored the dog until it was matted and needed to be shaved. How long did she wait between the last half price groom and this one? If she waited too long between grooms and didn't brush the dog she was just looking for someone else to blame for her neglect. Too bad you didn't have her sign a contract for the rescue that said you could remove the dog for neglect.

I'd definitely want to see that vet bill. Who knows what is really on it.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 8903
Posted From: 69.66.85.75
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great advice, Aidenn!

hairyhound
Registered Member
Username: hairyhound

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 67.167.140.209
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone ever written a newsletter for new clients(or old) explaining a little about the grooming process and what may arise from it? I've often marveled in my short grooming career how most know nothing about at home maintainance, proper brushes and combs, or how easy it is to razor burn a dog, especially if it is matted or just plain wiggly. They seem really in awe that I've taken a moment to talk to them about it. How could they know this stuff. I certainly didn't before I started grooming. I need to find the time to do one on flea control before the season hits here. Like a tips from Heloise segment. BTW I raised my prices 5 beans per dog last month. Not one complaint so far.

bluebonbon
Registered Member
Username: bluebonbon

Post Number: 1349
Posted From: 205.188.117.11
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time with this one customer but the other posters are right, stop with the free grooms. Get the vet bill, and do not refund money until you see it. I would only refund the money on the injured dog, not both! Looks like she wants more freebees!

kitty
Username: kitty

Post Number: 1276
Posted From: 64.12.117.11
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had someone do a similar thing to me, too. ELEVEN years of caring for their dog!! One day I tell them the dog had diarrhea twice while she was here ("not possible, she was fine this morning") and her rectum seemed quite irritated (again a brush off)....to watch carefully and take her to the vet if needed. Four days later I get the screaming maniacal phone call...I'm a butcher, what torture the dog has been going through and is now a bloody mess because I irritated her rectum so badly!! Never mentioned the diarrhea to the vet...NOR that this had been going on for three days before she took the dog in. There IS no explaining this kind of behavior. Eleven years of "complaintless" grooming care for this dog and all of a sudden I'm Freddy Kruger? As upsetting as it is, there is no way to deal with something like this logically..."shrug it off" is the only possible advice and just keep in mind that in a world of billions of people, not all of them are sane and you are bound to run into one of the wackos occasionally!
Hairyhound...a newsletter is a great idea. And, while personal is better, for those who have very little time, Barkleigh sells preprinted little newsletters with tips on just these topics that you can purchase, stamp with your shop name, and hand out.

laurie
Registered Member

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys! I feel alot better this morning. It helps to know you all have been there and are "losers" too. (that was a joke). People kill me though. Last night I was ready to throw in the towel, but I love this job...aside from the crazies I get from time to time. There's nothing else I would rather do, and Monday starts a brand new work week, and my blades were sharpened Friday evening, so all is well with the world. I decided last night that I will dwell on it ONE MORE DAY....but that's it. After today she will not occupy my mind again. I will pull her chart and file it away so I don't even have to flip through and see her name.

It's funny because even my husband knows how important this board is. Every time I start whining about something, he tells me to go tell my buddies on the groomer's lounge about it. I usually find something on here that's relevant, and I show him and he say's "See? Now don't you feel better?" Thanks AGain!!!
LAurie.

kimk
Registered Member
Username: kimk

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 205.188.117.11
Posted on Sunday, March 6, 2005 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In regards to "clipper burn" any time you use clippers on a dog (esp. the face) or have to take them short if matted, there is always a good chance that because it may "itch" after the grooming. Lots of dogs love to rub their faces, sides, rears on the carpet after grooming because it itches or just plain feel good (esp. after getting all those mats off) and they give themselves RUG BURN which if left unattended, can turn into a hot spot.
It is best to forewarn an owner that this could happen and to keep an eye on the dog, in case he/she decides to carpet slide.

sandyw
Registered Member
Username: sandyw

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 4.16.38.180
Posted on Monday, March 7, 2005 - 1:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any time you see pink skin or a dog with tender skin... bath , dry first then after the clip.
powder with alot of corn starch...at least twice ....
i keep some in a shaker jar and it works to stop the possible itch and makes and redness of the skin soothe and heal........this works better than any cream because they dont tend to lick it off.......
please try it ....its cheap to use....and it works !!!
Any poodle feet nicked ??? powder it good....the corn starch will take all redness away....
and i agree always use clean sharp blades....
and try not to pull the hair when clipping if knotted.....that can cause sores....

betty154
Registered Member
Username: betty154

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 207.69.139.7
Posted on Monday, March 7, 2005 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is one of my pet peeves--unless a groomer is truly inexperienced for just plain careless we don't let blades get hot enough to "burn" a pet--I hope. But clipper "rash" is another thing--this is part of my lecture for new pets, OAY messes or puppies--"because your pet does not use deductive reasoning he/she may develop a sore on the cheek area after grooming. If the area is irritated or scratched by the clipper blade it will itch and because it does the pet will scratch, because he scratched it will itch-not deducing cause and effect the pet will scratch some more--Break the itch/scratch cycle with bactine, solarcaine, lanacaine or aloe and it should heal quickly, Please let me know if this happens so I can adjust blade length"! For those who listen -this has worked well for me. For those who don't....what I have to say is unprintable!!

k9clipper
Registered Member
Username: k9clipper

Post Number: 22
Posted From: oh-westernreserve1c-108.clvdoh.adelphia.net
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hand out a letter to all new clients advising of my shops procedures. One long paragragh is aboout clipper rash and what to do if it occurs. I state I do not pay for vet. bills if they take the dog to the vet. I figure I told them what to do at the onset of a clipper rash. One of my clients called complaining her schnauzer "clipper burned" on the neck. She called 4 days after the groom. I told her to put goldband on it or desitine and then cut the tip off of white sock and put slide it over the neck so he wouldn't continue to scratch it. She calls back 2 days later demanding her money back. The dog is in misery, blah, blah...Going to take it to the vets. I agreed to give money back. Was I a sucker? Also any other treatment for clipper rash that perhaps I don't know of?

amazon
Registered Member
Username: amazon

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 24.165.128.61
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have a print out to give customers explaining clipper rash?

I am baffled when this happens. It causes such bad feelings with customers, and is so misunderstood.

I also had a schnauzer customer this summer who called the animal abuse investigator in our county! I returned her money, but she was positive I had tortured her dog. There was no reasoning with her. I had done the dog many times.

I cannot figure out how to prevent clipper rash. I know I use a cream called Bikini Zone in the summer for preventing razor burn on my privates in bathing suit weather. Do you think it would work on dogs?

wizardofpaws
Registered Member
Username: wizardofpaws

Post Number: 1034
Posted From: 207.69.139.157
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it happens often, I would look at your procedure and see what it is you may be doing. I had a 'rash' (pardon the pun!) of so-called clipper burn last year. It had me so stumped because it had never happened to me before. It was on dogs who got clean faces and were light colored. But not every light colored dog. And it was only right at the cheeck bone. Also, no signs of irritation were observed until the dog was at home for a few hours. Well, turns out, that it was also ONLY dogs that had fleas. I was using a new dip. It seems that the dip was over-drying to the sensitive light-colored dog's skin and combined with the freshly clipped nails and NO hair left on the face as protection from the nails, that the dogs would self-mutilate. I stopped using the dip and stopped having the problem. This is not to say that I have never 'clipper' burned a dog outside of this incident, I have, but very few and far between. It is usually those first timers who's owners forget to tell you that the dog is sensitive. But to prevent clipper irritation, look at all the steps in the groom. Do your blades or clippers need maintenence? Are you using a new shampoo or did you have to use a harsher shampoo than usual to get the dog clean (as in OAYs)? Which areas are getting irritated? Etc, etc. There are creams out there that claim to 'prevent' or soothe irriation caused by clipper burn, but I have not found one that works reliably. I have heard that diaper rash cream or preparation H will work. Also creams with aloe and zinc. There is really no solid way to prevent it in EVERY case, though. It also helps to ask at your check in if the dog has ever had a case of clipper burn before. This will let you know to maybe go up a blade on that dog and be extra careful.

Here is the notice that I was handing out when I was having problems before I figured out what it was:

Please Take Note. . . .
You are receiving this notice because you have requested a shaved face on a fair skinned dog. Please be advised that due to certain genetics, some fair skinned dogs are more prone to have sensitive skin than other dogs of the same breed but with darker skin. Compounding factors in this condition could include: if your dog had to be treated for fleas, if your dog was excessively dirty (products used to treat pets in these circumstances are by nature more drying to the skin then other grooming products), or if you don’t bring your dog in for it’s face to be shaved regularly (once every 4 weeks–this contributes to the problem because the dog’s skin cannot become accustomed to having it shaved close when it’s not done often enough; as well as having the extra hair add more friction and drag to the blade when it is cutting).
What this means for you: Because you may have a dog more prone to sensitive skin, please be extra alert for signs that your dog will exacerbate the problem by itching itself. While your dog may have been itching itself for some time and not caused itself harm, please be aware that since being bathed and groomed, it’s pores are more open, it’s nails have been freshly cut (and hence haven’t had time to wear down yet), and the protective layer of hair it once had on it’s face is now gone, exposing the tender skin to the ravages of the nails. Please DO NOT allow your dog to itch itself, especially on the area located on the cheek bones, in front of the ears. If allowed to scratch unchecked, your dog may give itself serious abrasions that may need to have veterinary treatment.
Please be assured that we have taken all actions possible to insure that this doesn’t happen to your dog including: using blades which do not heat up, using the longest blade available to honor your request of a shaved face, clipping in the direction of the hair growth (when possible), and using a post-groom anti-itch lotion. If in spite of all this, your dog still seems to want to scratch, call the groomer IMMEDIATELY! Do not wait until the next day or week–waiting only ensures that your dog will do more harm to itself. She will advise you to the best course of action. The number to reach her at is: (XXX)XXX-XXXX. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Hope this helps you out! Clipper burn is one of those things that seems to put an immediate black mark on any groomer's file! :-(
A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be there sitting beside you saying "Man, that was fun!"

amazon
Registered Member

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it is so frustrating because I cannot tell which dogs will have a rash and which won't.

I do a number of white poodles that I can use a 40 blade on with no problems. The schnauzer with the reaction was 10 years old and black.

Are there any products to use after grooming that can prevent this?

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 5762
Posted From: 68.94.114.23
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the most part, I wouldn't use anything closer than a 10 on the cheeks of any pet dog.

I would also look at your equipment. I have not had a dog with clipper irritaion in many many years. I can't remember the last time.

I do a lot of once a year farm and yard dogs too. These things are matted head to toe and don't get irritation.

Your blades must be clean and sharp. You must also be very careful that they are laying flat on the skin and not an an angle where the teeth may poke or scrape as you're clipping.

Also check the blade temperature. It only takes minutes for some blades to get too hot to use.

Generally it's not a burn, it's a scraping of the skin, or with a duller blade a pulling of the hairs before cutting them.

It can also be from the dog scratching. If the area feels funny, and it often does after a shave, the dog rubs and scratches and makes the area irritated.

The only real prevention is sharp, cool blades and not to clip too short.

Barb

amazon
Registered Member

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use the Bravura for feet and faces, it doesn't get hot. I usually use the 10 setting for faces It is just so frustrating when it only happens once in a while and I cannot pinpoint the problem.

I guess that narrows it down to some dogs just being more sensitive to clipping.

what size blade do you use for feet on pets?

thanks for your feedback!!

progroom
Registered Member

Post Number: 5763
Posted From: 68.94.114.23
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I usually use a 10 or 15 on a clippervac.

Barb

waggontails
Registered Member
Username: waggontails

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 216.180.210.10
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another thing to remember. if you wipe down the freshly shaved area with a wet wash cloth, it will stop/slow the irritation. i do this alot with the butts, as they scoot when it is shaved. but if i wet ti with the cloth and let air dry while they are still on the table, they are apt not to scoot when they go home.

bubblesnbows
Registered Member
Username: bubblesnbows

Post Number: 123
Posted From: 71.56.158.173
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

amazon - In reply to: (Are there any products to use after grooming that can prevent this?) There is a product called (I believe) Skin Works and off the top of my head I don't remember who makes it, but Jay & Sue mentioned it in their poodle grooming video.. that it was good to put on the face to prevent irritation, because it isn't greasy etc. I ordered some, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

distinctivedog
Registered Member
Username: distinctivedog

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 75.184.114.90
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skin Works is a Coat Handler product. I bought some on the recommendation of another groomer. I like it for my own hands, but I haven't used it on the dogs. My understanding is that it is a good preventative and good for small irritations.

The girl who recommended it to me said that a combination of soaking her hands in the Odor Handler solution for about 15 minutes and then using the Skin Works cream kept her psoriasis at bay. She said that the regimen was recommended to her by someone at the Nash Academy in Kentucky where she went to school, and her psoriasis was BAD before she started using these products.

Just a side note, I also really like the Tomlyn Hydra Pearls hand cream for my dried out hands. I usually order several at a time from Ryan's. My hubby really likes it too, so that's really saying something!

Sorry to get off topic.
Brandi

groomnpoodles
Registered Member
Username: groomnpoodles

Post Number: 1290
Posted From: 97.122.77.231
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Skin Works is an awesome product. Also, Peace & Kindness, a colloidal silver spray from Chris Christensen, works great too.
Grooming under the Tetons

distinctivedog
Registered Member
Username: distinctivedog

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 75.184.114.90
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am really interested in Peace & Kindness, but I did some research on colloidal silver in general, and there are so many on the market that aren't effective, that I've been hesitant to try it. The FDA doesn't have a high opinion of colloidal silver, primarily because of the lack of proof of benefit and what they consider to be inadequate research (which is kind of the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think?).
Anyway, I never finished researching what KIND of colloidal silver the Peace & Kindness was. How the silver is processed has everything to do with how effective it is. I suspect that since people speak so highly of it, it is probably "the good kind", but I'm just skittish until I finish educating myself on the subject. Since Peace & Kindness is a topical product, it is probably safe, but there are products meant for ingestion that can cause Argeria (graying of the skin caused by deposits of silver under the skin). Like I said, I'm skittish until I do more research.
Brandi

rpg
Registered Member
Username: rpg

Post Number: 1124
Posted From: 199.246.2.9
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased P&K at Canada Grooms.
I have Pedirhiasis - a leser for of psorriasis (sp?).
Medication has never done anything for me except cost me money. Within 8 days of using 1 spritz a day on my outbreak it is gone! However, when I stopped using it, it was back within 4 days. So I will say this is a "manager" of this condition, not a cure.
I have used it on eye debris irritation - you now the ones that seep blood, it's soo bad - WONDERFUL!
I have used it on allergy hot spots - WONDERFUL!
I do recommend this product :o)

starstruck
Registered Member
Username: starstruck

Post Number: 578
Posted From: 75.22.93.221
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I didn't read this entire thread, but want to add my own crazy person story. My groomer did a couple of yorkie brothers on Saturday. Woman calls me this morning and complains that one was cut and why didn't we tell her. I told my bather and she said that she didn't even realize it happened. I asked the woman to bring the dog in so I could see it. I then looked at it and it really wasn't that bad...he had licked it raw so then she was smart enough to put something around the dog so he couldn't lick at it anymore. Anyway, I apologized and told her that we would NEVER intentionally not tell a customer if we nicked their dog, that I've built my business on my reputation of the highest integrity. She just WOULD NOT see that the nick COULD have been missed. It was on his belly in the sani area. My groomer swears she didn't see it. Well, she wanted a refund for the groom, and I offered her a free groom next time, to which she replied, "we won't be coming back". So fine, I then told her that the dog had a complete groom and I would not refund her the entire cost of the groom, but would give her half back. She just kept going on about how we didn't tell her and I just kept telling her we didn't see it, but she refused to accept that. GGGRRRRRR. Just had to vent.

amysuz
Registered Member
Username: amysuz

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 204.107.47.109
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The breeder I bought my poodle from was a little nutty, and gave me some of the strangest advice. The dog's face had just been clean shaved, so the breeder warned me she could develop clipper rash, and I should rub a little bit of OLIVE OIL on her face a couple times a day. I asked, "can't I just use some regular hand lotion?" She insisted I use olive oil. The other thing she did was hand me the dog wrapped in a wee pad because she was bleeding from practically every single nail after she had clipped her nails. I mean they weren't bleeding a lot, just a drop here and there, but it was almost as if she'd nicked the quicks on purpose, just to get them as short as possible. With the stories you folks have told about irrate customers freaking out over every little rash or nick, I can only just imagine how they'd react if you handed them a bleeding dog wrapped in a wee pad!

3dogs
Registered Member
Username: 3dogs

Post Number: 554
Posted From: 71.2.89.3
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 8:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a clipper vac on my dogs & haven't had an issue with irritation yet so I am happy about that BUT I did have a new client with a matted yorkie that I brushed out & then used an "F" reverse on the body & a #1 on the belly, with a #15 on the sheath sani area. The owner had also chopped up the face so I just made the face neater since it was already short. She called yesterday to say that the dog was bleeding from it sheath & that it was crying all night & that the head was uneven & I must have stopped my grooming since I cut her dog. WTF is that about. 1st there was nothing wrong with that dog, I clip the area before the bath-no blood, I groom the whole dog with longer combs so no chance of the wee getting in anywhere & the dog was fine for the face just that I usually neaten what an owner has done & it was not uneven. Said she was taking the dog to the vet & she would be by but she never showed. I just don't understand how anything could happen when using the Vac & combs. It really got me upset.

wizardofpaws
Registered Member

Post Number: 1452
Posted From: 207.69.137.14
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm. . . if there was NO indication of clipper irritation in your shop, maybe it was just "too close for comfort" for the dog. I have seen several where the close shave just made them "feel funny" and they then itched or bit themselves into an injury. Maybe THAT'S where the blood came from. Perhaps the dog did it to him-self? Don't know what her deal was with the face. . .
A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be there sitting beside you saying "Man, that was fun!"

3dogs
Registered Member

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't heard back from this client that said she would be by after visiting the vet etc... I wonder if the vet told her that her own dog had dug at itself.
I myself have a sensitive dog on it's throat area. When I clip that area I don't clip his nails nor do I put a collar back on his neck. I could use a #5 on my dogs neck & he would still scab it up if I put his collar on & do his nails. I finally figured out that combo.

bluebonbon
Registered Member
Username: bluebonbon

Post Number: 2386
Posted From: 75.16.51.247
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I only use a 10 blade on sensitive areas or sensitive dogs. I use a dremel for nails so that they can't do as much damage if they scratch. I haven't had a complaint about clipper rash/burn since. If the dog looks even a little bit like it is sensitive, I also add the corn starch at the end of the groom, especially for those who love to scoot their butts on the carpet after grooming. It really does work.

3dogs
Registered Member

Post Number: 562
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is hard to know on the new clients & if they don't tell you that their dog is sensitive or don't know. I am only using a 15 right now since my 10's need to be sharpened. With the clipper vac I don't go to the skin unless of coarse really pelted with poo & knots in that area & then I don't use the clipper vac just patiently scoop away. On almost all dogs I do the sanitary before the bath, just in case the dog is sensitive the cool water & soapy water will soothe the area. I haven't tried cornstarch yet but that is a good idea.

progroom
Registered Member

Post Number: 6169
Posted From: 68.92.246.211
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On almost all dogs I do the sanitary before the bath, just in case the
dog is sensitive the cool water & soapy water will soothe the area.

I have a different train of thought on that. A dirty coat is harder to clip. It is more likely to tug just a tiny bit which is what causes a lot of irritation.

A fresh clean dog clips much smoother and easier giving much less cause for any kind of irritation.

Barb

clipperscorner
Registered Member
Username: clipperscorner

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 216.154.23.112
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Barb that's what I do.Bath then sani clean up.
Clipperscorner
Ann

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 5655
Posted From: 142.167.146.216
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do EVERYTHING after the bath.

wizardofpaws
Registered Member

Post Number: 1463
Posted From: 207.69.140.25
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yes. And I have also heard that when you clip dirty coat you have the potential of abrading the skin with the tiny particles of dirt that are present. I also do everything after the bath, unless it is a complete pelt that wouldn't get clean unless I clipped it off first. But any clipper irritation that comes from that situation is TOTALLY the owner's fault, IMO.

gone2dogs
Registered Member
Username: gone2dogs

Post Number: 3304
Posted From: 156.34.189.3
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol I had a lady tell me I gave her pom razor burn...well it was a batha dn tidy and no clippers used on the hiney...so she says it must have been wind burn....the vets laughed at her pretty good:-) Funny thing is she is a decent customer:-)
There is a method to my madness...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.