Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Clippers making noises Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Tool Talk » CLIPPERS AND BLADES » CLIPPER MAINTENANCE/REPAIR » Clippers making noises « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

cyntha
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2000 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my clippers are making strange noises. Sometimes it sounds rattley and other times it sounds like the power is going up and down. Would this mean my blade drive needs sharpening?

Doglady
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2000 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cyntha, What kind of clippers are they? If Andis, alot of times the rattling is because the blade drive is broken or the tiny screw that holds the blade drive in, has come loose. The power going up and down, sounds like the brushes need changing. Hope this helps.

gail monk
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2000 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My andis clipper acted that way. Also, some blades would pop off. I replaced hinge thing, and drive thing. They still did it. I finally took them apart for the third time and found that the bottom side of the plastic outside piece had been cracked when the hinge had been replaced. Screws were tightened too much and cracked both sides. I replaced the piece from a burned out andis, and viola, it worked fine. I'm so proud. :)

cyntha
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OKAY!! My clippers are Andis and I just changed the blade drive. I think the carbon brushes need changed, but they won't come out!! Any tricks? I tipped the clippers onto it's side and they won't fall out. Thanks for your help!

Gail Monk
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2000 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the symptom of the brushes needing changing is the clipper loosing power. I just turn mine on the side and give it a smack with my hand. But if it's rattling, look for the loose screw, or a crack. Aren't clippers a pain. Got my laube's repaired finally, they were only one month old. Blades kept popping off. They replaced the latch thing with a new type. I've used them 2 weeks, and the hinge broke. Just can't win.

Rick (spider-th021.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.213.51)
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2000 - 5:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple of tips, here.
On the Andis clippers, you should put a drop or two of nail polish into the screw holes of the "blade drive assembly (lever)" when you change it, and also in the holes of the two screws that hold on the hinge. This will prevent them from vibrating loose.
Andis had faulty hinges for a while until last July when they were redesigned. If you bought your clippers anytime around then or before, you probably have a bad hinge. They do wear out eventually, but these old ones sometimes lasted only a couple of months. They cause excessive blade rattling and your blades will not cut as well as they should. If you can pry the hinge open even a little with your finger, it needs replacing. This really should be done by an honest service person for FREE, IMHO.(I do)
The fact that Andis clippers go up and down in speed is probably due to the fact that they have accumulated hair in the plastic thumb switch. If you can replace your blade drive, you can cure this problem. What is happening is you are not actually losing power, but are stuck between speeds. If you take that plastic piece off (after disassembly) you will see a little bit of hair in there right under where your thumb goes which you can pluck out with a toothpick or whatever.
As far as the Laubes, which I no longer work on, you can replace the hinge and latch assemblies with the Oster's which are less expensive and less problematic.
As far as getting Andis brushes out, a little gentle tap while they are on there side is the way to go. But keep in mind that they RARELY need changing...
Rick

cyntha
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2000 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,
Thank you so much. I just cleaned out the little clump of hair and my clippers are running just fine!!
Again, thank you all for your help!!
Cyntha

gail monk
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2000 - 3:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, I replaced my busted Laube hinge with one I had from a broken Oster. I'm off and running again. The new Laube hinges are in two pieces. The only difference in the two hinges is the Laubes have a little spring on it. I couldn't use the extra Laube lever thing, but didn't need it. It only goes to prove, don't throw old clippers away, save them for parts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com