Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Andis Blades getting REALLY Hot Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Tool Talk » CLIPPERS AND BLADES » CLIPPERS » Andis Blades getting REALLY Hot « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ncgroom
Registered Member
Username: ncgroom

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 75.182.116.233
Posted on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 6:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a new set of Andis two speed clippers. I keep them cleaned and the blades cleaned and oiled. Even with that, it seems like the blades are getting scorching hot in a matter of minutes! I am having to alternate blades literally every five minutes to avoid causing the dog discomfort. Does anyone else have this problem with Andis clippers? I have been told by my sharpener to avoid Kool Lube, because it actually ends up gunking up and dulling the blade faster. Any other suggestions on keeping them cool, other than switching them out like I'm doing?

northerntailssharpening
Registered Member
Username: northerntailssharpening

Post Number: 546
Posted From: 69.2.66.212
Posted on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oiling means, oiling before, during, and after the groom right?? Your Andis clipper instructions say to do that. Hair strips the blade of oil so thats why you have to oil during a groom or your going to make that blade supper hot.
The blades could also be too tight when coming back from the sharpener. If so they will get hot very quickly as well. You should be able to move the cutter back and forth fairly easy with your thumb. If you have to use both hands then they are too tight. There actually is a science to this.

Are you a mobile groomer running through an inverter? That can make clippers themselves hot.

There will be other suggestions from other folks.
Jeff Andrews
Northern Tails Sharpening
Mobile, Alabama
251-232-5353
www.northerntails.com
jeff@northerntails.com
"You Now Have A Better Choice"

tsmith1095
Registered Member
Username: tsmith1095

Post Number: 737
Posted From: 205.188.116.6
Posted on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When mine did that I took them apart and found tons of hair jammed inside the clipper. Cleaned it up and now the blades stay cool much longer.
If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares,
why is there a song about him?

miss_k
Registered Member
Username: miss_k

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 76.252.21.239
Posted on Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you using a 2 speed Andis? If so, be sure you are running on lowest speed, unless you need to get through thick hair, or mats. Running on high speed will heat them up faster. If you can, have an extra of each blade, so you can switch back and forth, letting the hot one cool off. :-)

ncgroom
Registered Member
Username: ncgroom

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 12.189.124.130
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody, thanks for the comments. I do have a 2 speed clipper, but am running them on the low speed. I will definitely double check my clippers for hair, but I feel like I clean them pretty frequently. I do not oil the blades before during and after grooming, just after. If that's what it takes, I'll certainly give it a try, but the one that seems like it is the truest of my situation is that the blades themselves are fairly new and tight. I do have to move the blade with two hands. How do you loosen them up?

northerntailssharpening
Registered Member
Username: northerntailssharpening

Post Number: 548
Posted From: 68.106.203.172
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NC Groom,

There is a video on my website called "How to assemble blades after sharpening" Please view this video. It shows how to assemble a blade after its been sharpened and adjust the tension on it using a screwdriver and lifting each side of the cutter spring just a little. Its a quick view but you can do it. If you send your stuff to me when its dull, it will come back with perfect tension and you'll know what it feels like then.
If the tension is too tight it could damage the hinge on your clipper then all 7's and 10's will "corn row". When anything is loose in your cutting system (blades or clipper) cutting becomes difficult.

Thanks
Jeff Andrews
Northern Tails Sharpening
Mobile, Alabama
251-232-5353
www.northerntails.com
jeff@northerntails.com
"You Now Have A Better Choice"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com