Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Proper way to attach blade to Oster c... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Tool Talk » CLIPPERS AND BLADES » BLADE MAINTENANCE & SHARPENING » Proper way to attach blade to Oster clipper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jennifer andricosky
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 1999 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help!! In discussion with friend on step by step way to attach blade to Oster clipper - I don't want to be accused of "swaying" your response so I will just say HELP!!! Thank you!!

Joyce
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 1999 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL! This ought to be fun. Position the blade on the latch....start the clipper.....snap the blade into place:)

Be sure and let us know which one of you was right!

Mary ( - 207.193.33.47)
Posted on Friday, July 30, 1999 - 8:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with Joyce!

Carla
Posted on Friday, July 30, 1999 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's the way I do it too...although just the other day I was wondering to myself, why turn the clippers on BEFORE snapping the blade down? That's the way I was taught but I don't recall what the reason was.

Carla

Rev
Posted on Friday, July 30, 1999 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's because of the lever/blade drive, the thing that wiggles to move the blades back and forth. They have to fit into a slot in the blade, and if you just push the blade down without turning on the clippers, the odds are good that the lever will be mis-aligned. When the clipper is running, the lever will slip right into the slot correctly.

Carol ( - 152.163.207.186)
Posted on Tuesday, August 3, 1999 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rev is correct. If you also get into the habit of pushing the blade latch up as you push the blade down, (yes, with the clipper running) it will lengthen the life of your blade, hinge, and blade latch. This is true of any clipper with a blade latch, which is pretty much all except Andis.

Blackdogs
Posted on Sunday, April 9, 2000 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the clipper repair person in my area tell me to always push my blade down with my clippers turned OFF so as not to break the plastic "driver". Once the clippers are started the blade will seat itself on the driver. I've been doing it that way ever since.

Mechele
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2000 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I attach my blades with the clipper running... I have been doing it this way for almost 20 years. Never broke the "plastic Driver" (lever)

Dragonbrn
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2000 - 9:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chiming in here...Blades should go on with the clipper running. They should be removed with the clipper off. Rev is right on with the reason. Don't know where your clipper person learned his trade, Blackdogs, but I've never seen a lever break; they just wear out from years of work.

captlarry
Registered Member
Username: captlarry

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 70.122.96.149
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a small tube with a groove on one side, where does it go and how do you insert it. My Oster clippers just stopped cutting and when I took the two screws out I ended up with a mess.

northerntailssharpening
Registered Member
Username: northerntailssharpening

Post Number: 321
Posted From: 71.10.45.43
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Captain LArry,

Your not explaining your problem, what is it? This stream is 6 years old but has many valuable posts.
Sounds like you took something apart that you didnt know anything about. I can help if you know what your trying to explain.

What two screws did you take out to try and do what?
What small tube are you talking about? The tube of oil and grease or something else?
What mess is there?

Thanks

Jeff

1/2 the blade guyz team

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 3381
Posted From: 71.134.47.82
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think captlarry is talking about the two plastic screws you take out to change the brushes. and the tube is the sleeve for the brushes? Well it's not really a sleeve, but more like a cap.

(Message edited by thedotteddog on November 19, 2006)

thedotteddog
Registered Member

Post Number: 3382
Posted From: 71.134.47.82
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure if he took them out, they would have sprung apart and now he doesn't know how to put them back.

bbird
Registered Member
Username: bbird

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 69.9.31.138
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 7:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May I chime in? I suspect that Capt. Larry has an Oster clipper of another model, not a snap-on blade style. A client of mine who loves to do a little grooming at home in between visits to my salon brought her clippers in to for me to look at and figure out why they were not cutting. The clippers are Oster and have a single blade that adjusts in length by a lever on the side. The blade attaches to the clipper by two screws on the back of the blade.

I took a look at the clippers, ran the blade through some cleaner and oiled it, and determined that the blade was dull. I delivered the whole thing to the sharpener who sharpened the blade and returned the clipper, blade intact.

I would recommend that captlarry package the whole thing up and get it to an authorized Oster repair service.

lovessharpening
Registered Member
Username: lovessharpening

Post Number: 358
Posted From: 216.79.79.150
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this tube brownish or white in color? It sounds like a blade guide that fits into the cutter groove. Some of the vibrator type clippers do have a plastic blade guide and on a tension spring that stays on the clipper when you unscrew the blade. If it is an A-5 type it is possible that this person may not know the blade has a release latch and took the blades apart like on the vibrator style ones. Either way it just has to be pushed back on. If you need more info go to my profile and email me or call me and I will be glad to assist you further.

captlarry
Registered Member
Username: captlarry

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 70.122.96.149
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, I can't believe I got this kind of feed back, thanks to all of you. I have Oster A-5 clippers, I simply took out the 2 metal screws on the back of the blades (turn the clippers over, the 2 screws you see are the ones). The large blade came off as well as the small blade that fits into the plastic thing that goes left and right. Somewhere in there, a small brownish rod smaller than a pencil lead with a groove on one side, appeared on the table and that is my mess. I can't begin to see how this all goes back together.
I think it may be better for me to try to find an Oster repair center in the Houston area and save myself some grief.
Again, Thank You all for the quick response.
Capt. Larry

bbird
Registered Member
Username: bbird

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 69.9.31.138
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hate it when that happens! I've put whole clippers back together and ended up with some strange little thingy sitting on the table and I have no clue where it came from.

Captlarry, You can trust Tim of Loves Sharpening, and he is in your region for fast mail return. Tim knows blades! We would not let him hang out with us here if he wasn't trustworthy.

thedotteddog
Registered Member

Post Number: 3389
Posted From: 71.138.24.110
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got it! He took the blade apart ON the clipper and like Tim said he didn't realized that it has a latch to take the whole thing off! Oh my! Tim can help you now.

lovessharpening
Registered Member
Username: lovessharpening

Post Number: 360
Posted From: 216.79.79.150
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 6:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a common error made with detachable clippers for those that are used to the cheaper ones that you do have to remove the screws to get the blade off. I have had people come up to me with a pair of a-5's thinking they were a throw away clipper and when I pop off the blade they have this astonished look of how did you do that :-) I even get A-5 style blades sent to me for sharpening that do not have the screws, socket, spring, guide with them and I wonder just how well they work when they get put back together.

It all comes down to helping educate anyone that uses a clipper in they work, which is why Jeff and I formed the Blade Guyz site. We find no topic to trival to cover. Our thinking is if one is having this problem then there are many more out there having that same problem and we need to help them understand what they are using. When you ask a question and you see you are not alone you are more likely to keep asking questions. The ones that don't ask are the ones that suffer in the long run and end up hating a certain brand because they didn't know a couple of the little quirks this item may have.

CaptLarry is now back on track and you want to talk about someone eager to learn it is him. Would you believe he has had the same blade for 5 years and does his dog every 6 weeks and it is just now dull!!! I think that is really impressive for a non-pro.

Tim

1/2 of the Blade Guyz team

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com