Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Wahl or Andis or Oster or other? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Tool Talk » CLIPPERS AND BLADES » CLIPPERS » Wahl or Andis or Oster or other? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jacquie Gilbert (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 155.139.68.10
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am new to grooming and was hoping for some direction regarding clippers and 1) variable speeds verses 1 speed 2) strokes per minute... I have seen up to 5500. 3)cordelss models
I have been looking particularily at Wahl moser and Andis AGC2 super speed. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you! Jac

rpg
Registered Member
Username: rpg

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 199.246.2.11
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 5:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have always been an Oster fan. Recently some wonderful groomers sent me each a set of Andis AGC 2 speed Andis clippers, and one from an auction. WOW! What a difference. For the matted dog - the Andis really out does the Oster!
However, I have had my Osters for 9 years now with never a problem - nothing has been replaced on them, nothing broken, etc.. You do need to maintenance them each more - compared to the Andis.
You need more blades when using the Andis than the Osters.
I always have 5 clippers ready to go beside my grooming table. I have presently the Osters with my foot blade and my #10 blade. The Andis I have ready with 7F, 4F and Andis 5/8's.
So far so good. I do prefer the cut of the Andis clipper - and I am already constantly reaching for the Andis as compared to the Oster clippers and it's been less than a month.
Helpful at all?
Kim S.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 1755
Posted From: 66.142.47.84
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 5:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always had several sets of clippers at my table too. When I got the clippervac, I had to decide which one to keep. I chose the Andis because the casing doesn't get hot like it did on the Oster if it ran for long periods of time.
I know the blades don't get hot with the CV but I don't know if it's able to keep the casings cool too.

Barb

vroomvroom
Registered Member
Username: vroomvroom

Post Number: 510
Posted From: 24.99.73.148
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two pairs of Andes AGC super 2 speeds, an andis AGR cordless, two laube lightenings, a double K variable and an Arco Moser cordless. The Arco moser is the hands down winner but does only do 9 to 40 in blade size. It does come with some combs which I havent worked with much. My laube's are very light weight, will cut through anything (I havnt used the double K's since I got em)but they are so hard to get a blade to set that I sometimes just skip em. The Andis agr cordless is going up for sale when it gets back from being serviced. It works fine, but weighs a lot more than the arco so its a goner. The andis agc super 2 speeds are my workhorse clippers. They get dropped, banged around, never cleaned and they just keep on working.

Jacquie Gilbert (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 5:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all so much for your responses. They have been very helpful.

pwdohio
Registered Member
Username: pwdohio

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 24.210.141.99
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two older Oster A-5's that have just become a problem for me to
use, they are simply getting too heavy for my hands and I get hand
pain when using them. I have switched my profession from dog groomer
to typist, so I need to maintain my hands as best I can, plus I need to maintain my own dogs coats!

I did buy a pair of Arco Moser, the large one, and I love them! But,
they only go from about a #40 to a # 8 1/2 is my guess on the length.

I would like to replace my old Oster's with a lighter weight clipper
that is comfortable for a small hand to hold. I would prefer
cordless. But, I also want to keep in mind a clipper that does not
heat up so fast, and it would be nice if I could use my old
Oster/Andis blades on it.

I think I am asking for a lot, and not sure that I will find all that
I want. I may end up having to go to a corded clipper and can't make
up my mind between a Wahl KM2 (corded), or an Andis clipper.

However, I do want to hear some opinions on various cordless out there!

I have only two dogs that I do about every 4 weeks, they are my own.
A St Poodle and a Portuguese Water Dog (wavy coat). I don't always
have the time to comb out or brush regularly, and so by the time I am
ready to groom, the Poodle has ringlets or cords starting, no matts
but even so I need something that will go through the ringlets w/o
any problem.

My understaning is that the higher the speed the hotter the
clipper/blade gets. I also have been hearing of late that the sprays
for cooling down the blades will actually cause them to heat up more
often! Thoughts on that appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can give me in making up my mind on a good
clipper, preferrably cordless.

Barb C

lovessharpening
Registered Member
Username: lovessharpening

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 216.79.79.150
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 7:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barb,

If you are looking for a clipper that runs at the speed of the Oster (I am guessing the clipper is not a Turbo) then I would recommend the Andis AGC 2 speed (not the super 2) or the Wahl KM 2. The Andis spm( strokes per minute) is 2600 on low and 3400 on high. The KM 2 is 2700 on low and 3300 on high. The SPM for the Oster regular 2 speed is 2000 and 2700. These two clippers fit smaller hands and ergonomically correct. The clipper also stays cooler.

pwdohio
Registered Member

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much. Why do you chose the AGC 2 speed over the Super 2?

I hear a lot about the Andis, people love them, but they also are always ready to replace parts.

I don't hear much of anything about the KM2, maybe Wahl has just not been so popular, or their product has not as yet been equal to the Andis/Oster for professional groomers.

My Oster's are 30 years old, still in excellent condition. They are the single speed A-5's.

lovessharpening
Registered Member

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found that my customers that have went from the a slower clipper to the faster clippers tend to have problems with blades getting hot. You have to keep the blades oiled, especially the blade guide (plastic piece on top of the blade). I have several people who like the regular 2 speeds better for the general grooming. For real heavy shave downs they will use the Super 2'S. The biggest complaint I have heard about the Wahl's is they are noisier. This of course is different for everyone.

I suggest if it is possible to try each one in your hand to see how it feels, then decide on which one to buy.

What parts are they having to replace on the Andis? The drive is the wearable part that needs to be replaced every 4-8 weeks depending on use. Now I have seen blade wash get in the clipper from having the blade dipped in the wash and then turning the clipper to the ceiling. Sometimes when some one uses a spray lube it can get into the motor if they use too much.

pwdohio
Registered Member

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 2:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it is the drive that my friend replaces regularly, but I thought that she told me that she also keeps 2 other parts on hand as they also find that they need to replace these also. I am not sure what those other parts might be. I don't think that she dips the blades in a wash, but maybe she does. I know that she got rid of all of her Oster's a long time ago because she likes the Andis better, and they don't require maintenance. Although, I am sure that she must be oiling them! I think she does use spray lube, although I know that she changes blades regularly. She does about 12 dogs a day herself, and has one other groomer in the shop.

I have used her square burgandy colored Andis clippers on my St Poodle's face and I loved them! Although I noticed that the blade did get hot quickly. I may have been trimming her ears also (she has the tassle ear). I found them to be comparible to my Arco. They clipped so smooth and quickly!

I am not sure if she has any of the black Andis around anymore. She purchased a round burgandy Andis and it was in for repairs a total of 6 months, she only had them about a month! Andis finally replaced them, but she was upset and gave them to her neice. Her neice loves the new ones!

I do need to see if I can get my hands on a pair if the round ones to see how I like them compared to the square.

I hope I can also get my hands on a pair of the Wahl. Someone offered to mail me their's from another state to try if I was willing to pay for shipping, but I would do it -- too risky sending a good pair of clippers back and forth in the mail!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience/knowledge.

lovessharpening
Registered Member

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 3:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are very welcome. You might try your local sharpener to see if they might have or know of anyone in your area that has any of these clippers.

pwdohio
Registered Member

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mobile sharpener is going to be at my friend's grooming shop on Wednesday. I am planning on dropping over to see if he has anything that I can handle.

I have blades and scissors that need sharpening, so I can get some of them done at that time also. I just about don't have any sharp blades left!

Since I don't groom anymore but for myself, I have rather gone through my whole supply before thinking of having them done again....and, I have had some bad blades come back after he sharpened them. My friend says that she thinks he has been better lately though. My favorite scissors need done too...sigh. I think I should have not waited so long...gonna be costly to get them all done.

I did check your info and copied and pasted it to my e-mail. I may just have to send my blades and scissors off if I am not happy with the few that I give him to do. Don't know why sometimes he is okay and sometimes he is not. He has a mobile and does everyone's in the area when he is this direction. He also does shows.

I will give him another try with a few blades and maybe two pairs of scissors.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com