Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

FURminator Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Tool Talk » SMALL TOOLS » STRIPPERS & COAT KINGS » FURminator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rosalee
Registered Member
Username: rosalee

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 204.50.32.67
Posted on Saturday, September 4, 2004 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone tried this? The testomonials on their site sound good, but I can't help but wonder about super tools like this sounds to be???
They sell on Ebay for around 50 bucks, and once I change convert that to Canadian, it is a little pricey for a gamble.

kitty
Username: kitty

Post Number: 1016
Posted From: 152.163.253.101
Posted on Saturday, September 4, 2004 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you do a lot of carding to deshed dogs, you'll love it and it will save your wrist. Once a lab owner sees how much longer her house stays hair free, she'll even be willing to pay extra for the 10 minutes of deshedding, so you'll make back the price in no time. If you don't do much of this and don't want to start, then it is a lot of money for a tool you'll hardly use.

shampoochie
Registered Member
Username: shampoochie

Post Number: 624
Posted From: 207.218.234.119
Posted on Saturday, September 4, 2004 - 9:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a ton of new dogs because I advertise the Furminator. Mostly labs and goldens, but also small terrier mixes etc. that shed. People LOVE it. I charge 10-20 on top of the bath depending on how long I "furminate" Usually 30 minutes for a lab. Buy the mobile kit and you get all the advertising posters, logos, brochures (people love the brochure - the pictures in it sell the service). Also I don't know what's in that "shedding" solution but it works better with it. I found out when I ran out.

shampoochie
Registered Member

Post Number: 625
Posted From: 207.218.234.119
Posted on Saturday, September 4, 2004 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. there is a discussion about this tool somewhere else on this board if you search on furminator.

catsmom
Registered Member
Username: catsmom

Post Number: 704
Posted From: 205.188.117.18
Posted on Saturday, September 4, 2004 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, kitty, you missed something. You should see how well it works on cats. Between the solution and the tool, sometimes I'm surprised their not bald!

Dpetstylist (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 66.82.51.123
Posted on Saturday, September 4, 2004 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have time to really market yourself and fully utilize the marketing tools they provide you then you will have a real money maker. But dont through out your other tools as you will need those to to really accomplish the full d-sheding program
I charge 5-15 stones for small short hair dogs
10-20 for med to med coated dogs and
20-40 for long hair large dogs
This is also on top of the bath and brush. I advise clients that the furminator is on top of what it takes to get the dogs in good shape. For example if a aussie comes in and he/she is 50 or so lbs and has alot of coat that has not been cared for in about 6mo to a year. I would charge the following cookies

Base rate for a good condition aussie is 28 cookies. So the bath and brush (15 min of brushing is included) would be 28 cookies
But say the rascle was really dirty and had tons of flea Dip & Shampoo is 8 cookies + say it took us hour to brush out the pelted undercoat and mats so that would be 20 (5 cookies per 15 min)
Then the furminator took them 1/2 hr so that would be 20 also.

The total for this treatment would be:
20__________
76.00 Cookies for the first of 2 furminator treatments.

Say the dog needed to come back in two weeks for the 2nd treament well that would be less because we already did the hardest part but you are still looking at a bill of 38-45 cookies.

So far this has worked wonderfull for me and has incressed my daily totals big time.

Remeber if you are not going to market this program it would be a waist of money.

amazon
Registered Member
Username: amazon

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 24.54.100.65
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 8:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ordered mu furminator over e-bay (30.00), and received it this afternoon.
I can't wait to try it tomorrow!! What do you charge for the "treatment"?

amazon
Registered Member
Username: amazon

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 24.54.100.65
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 9:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOPs! I was so excited I forgot to read the above post!! Sorry about that!

grovecreek (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 165.247.177.214
Posted on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the FURminator is now almost useless to us!!!!!! They're selling the tool on QVC for $24.95. Anyone feel ripped off? I sure do!! There goes our target market. Gee. HOW special!!! And they sell just the tool to us for $49.95. GRRRRRRRR

paddyred
Registered Member
Username: paddyred

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 69.156.59.139
Posted on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry for sounding nieve but what is the QVC? never heard of it. paddy

tsmmes
Registered Member
Username: tsmmes

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 67.41.242.129
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 6:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is very discouraging. I am moving into a new shop this weekend and the tub is great.. but not large dog friendly. I was thinking I would have to limit myself to dogs under 50 lbs as I work alone.. and this may be the clincher. I love to promote the shedless. It is a treatment I really believe in and the customers love it. It was pretty easy to promote when my shop was inside a boarding kennel.
(paddyred - QVC is a shopping channel on tv)
If the customers can get these tools on their own, cheaper than they can even get them from the website.. why come to us? I really believe the force drying and the shedless solution make the whole package.. but most people would probably call it good if they could have the tool at home.

suez
Registered Member
Username: suez

Post Number: 714
Posted From: 64.12.117.11
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll bet lots of furminators will be available really cheap from people who bought them on QVC and then found out that you still have to apply them to the dog to make them work. I wish I had a dollar for every time a client has bought a grooming tool and then realized that it still needed elbow grease to make it work.

h2h
Registered Member
Username: h2h

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 65.54.97.152
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well i also feel ripped off. i thought this would be a "groomers" tool. but hopefully they will not know how to use it correctly i can also see a lot of dogs getting cut and burned by it. i'm still going to order that neat little item called the vac groom. it is very similar to the furminator but it attaches to a vacum so you don't have the dead hair flying all over.

magnolia
Registered Member
Username: magnolia

Post Number: 1052
Posted From: 24.175.108.207
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 8:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL I can see my clients getting it and then calling and saying "Ewwwww hair is all over me, my kids, and the house how can you stand all that hair???"

kk (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 65.238.17.100
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a Furminator from ebay for $33. The woman still has a lot of them.

barknpurr
Registered Member
Username: barknpurr

Post Number: 244
Posted From: 68.39.194.138
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am so sick over this! They charge us all $50.00 and then put it out to the mass market for $24.95??? And then - they don't even have the sense enough to change the packaging - it is the same EXACT one that we buy! UGGHHH!

I will no longer be offering the service to my clients! Here is the link on QVC!
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FIsItemNumberRedirect.asp&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&txtDesc=Furminator&SearchClass=&Submit4=Go

Lisa

particentral
Username: particentral

Post Number: 2411
Posted From: 64.12.117.11
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My real complaint here is that both times I have tried to order mine from the company itself I was told they were out of stock, and now they have enough to do THIS?

I never did think the whole marketing package they sold was worth the investment, but thats just me and I have a marketing background.

Now WE KNOW how the vets feel about Frontline and Advantage being allowed on the open market.

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone mentioned this to the company that sells this?

jetsetpets
Registered Member
Username: jetsetpets

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 68.38.153.140
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anybody else notice that it's "made in China"?

I guess a few more Americans out of work doesn't matter, huh?

- Mary -

101H&K (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 68.107.116.210
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Horray for Paddy,someone who actually never heard of QVC. Good job...stay that way. We need some pure souls now and then....}

bowwowwheels
Registered Member
Username: bowwowwheels

Post Number: 814
Posted From: 165.247.184.87
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 2:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the address for Cheryl, the lady that owns the company so you can complain. I know I did!

cfieldsmo@yahoo.com

h2h
Registered Member
Username: h2h

Post Number: 313
Posted From: 65.54.98.141
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is she the owner of the furminator company? i WILL send her my thoughts on this too, and i must say that i get MORE hair off o short coated dog with my $1.99 rubber curry combs. i still offer to de-shed but i won't use the word furminate ever again, i was one of the dummies that spent over $200.00 on the kits at the atlanta show!!

shampoochie
Registered Member

Post Number: 642
Posted From: 207.218.235.222
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which ones are they selling? The regular? Because now they are coming out with the double wides. Maybe they are just getting rid of their old stock ? People are NOT going to want to Furminate their own dogs - if they don't have time to brush the darn dog, how the heck are they going to de shed it?

bowow
Registered Member
Username: bowow

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 66.82.9.81
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought the Furminator system for my shop and I have to say that it has been HIGHLY profitable. I belive the entire system cost me around $325 for fout tools, solution, brochures, shamoo, signs etc.

We charge $30 additional for cats and dogs, and we do about 10-15 pets a week that get the add on treatment. Our cat clientelle LOVES it. We have bulldog baths that walk out the door for $55.00 . We ask every person that books an appointment do they want the shed-less treatment. We explain it and the add on cost and at least half always say yes. No one has complained about it and everyone has raved about it. My own customers push it to my other clients (their friends).

We have a big ad that runs in our local town paper and we advertise it in their with a dog that we personally did. It is upsetting that it is getting sold so cheap on QVC, but I guess since I have more than made my money back it doesn't bother me. My groomers pay checks have almost doubled because of it.

Maybe they didn't have a part in it getting on QVC, maybe who ever manufactures them sold it directly? Just a thought.

maurso
Registered Member
Username: maurso

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 67.208.130.62
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do remember on another thread someone said the "originals" would be available at a reduced price because they were coming out with new models.

guess this is how they're getting them off their shelves.

mylady
Registered Member
Username: mylady

Post Number: 339
Posted From: 172.149.59.84
Posted on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I saw in one of the grooming magazines an article about the woman who invented the furminator. She's a groomer that I guess when she was just a teen bought a sinking grooming shop for $2000 and turned it around. I can't remember exactly what grooming mag it was in, I thinkone advertising a trade show. But I guess you expect more when it's a groomer you buy from and not some big conglomerate with some faceless person running the show with no idea what grooming is all about. On the other hand I think we all have done whatever we could to make money. Perhaps the sales for her weren't as good as they needed to be, I don't know, and she needed a way to move inventory. Maybe she found the price too high in the long run. Just speculation, but our shop also uses it and I love it. I use all the time, not just for shedless. Saves me time. JMO

David Porter (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 64.123.56.175
Posted on Monday, November 8, 2004 - 7:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Official response from FURminator

In response to your concerns, the sale of the blue FURminator deShedding tool on QVC builds awareness of the shed-less treatment to consumers nationwide. Professional groomers providing the “service” of the FURminator shed-less treatment will see an increase in that “service” as awareness of FURminator deShedding tool and the FURminator shed-less treatment increases. Grooming products are readily available to consumers, but still they want the convenience of a professional groomer to wash and groom their pet. Consumers want to reduce the mess of shedding and unwanted hair in their homes … and the FURminator deShedding tool pulls out outrageous amounts of undercoat and loose hair. Awareness is the key that will bring customers to the professional groomer.

Remember, we own a grooming salon and the FURminator shed-less treatment is responsible for over 75% of our business. We have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in this new facility (four times larger than our old one) to accommodate the increase in business due to the shed-less treatment. We are confident that the awareness that QVC builds will increase our demand, not eliminate it. We have been selling the FURminator shed-less treatment longer than anyone, and customers we sell the deShedding tool to, continue to bring their pets back to us … they hate the mess it makes and enjoy the convenience.

According to the APPMA (American Pet Product Manufactures Association) only 30% of pet owners currently take their pets to a groomer. There are literally millions of shedding pets out there that have the potential of needing a groomer to have the answer to shedding. It has been our experience that once people are aware that there is a way to dramatically reduce shedding on their pet, they come in droves to grooming shops.

There will always be some consumers that will want to buy their own tools and groom at home. You will never see most of them. There will also be consumers who will buy grooming tools with the best of intentions, but will end up back at the groomer. Other consumers never knew there was anything they could do about the shedding, but will find a groomer as soon as they are aware that there is an effective treatment.

When a consumer purchases a deShedding tool, or does a “google” search and finds our Website at … we do NOT try to sell them a tool or convince them to “do it themselves”. This Website talks about the benefits of the treatment and sends them to the authorized FURminator facilities to have the complete treatment. Most consumers do not have a high velocity dryer as mentioned in the process. The tool alone will never remove as much hair as the complete shed-less treatment. This consumer Website has been getting over 170,000 hits a month, and as awareness increases, this Website will point even more consumers to our authorized facilities and increase their business. All the tools sold on QVC have on the packaging to send them to find authorized facilities.

We are giving groomers, Vets & pet shops the opportunity to retail the smaller blue deShedding tool. 70% of consumers will only purchase items where they can see it. Only 30% will purchase an item from the Internet, catalog or on TV … but the TV, catalogs and Internet build consumer awareness.

We have invested a great deal of money to develop and produce the new yellow tools with removable blades specifically for the professional groomer, and we do not market these tools to consumers. The new 2.6 inch wide deShedding tool even has the same price as the original blue tool. The kits we sell to groomers are designed to make them thousands of dollars of additional income selling the FURminator shed-less treatment as an add-on service.

I hope this answers your concerns,
David & Angie Porter
FURminator Inc.

valharly
Registered Member
Username: valharly

Post Number: 415
Posted From: 65.238.36.216
Posted on Monday, November 8, 2004 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course they don't mention the scads of people that will come into your shops and tell you to not DARE to use that tool on their pets, after all , look at the scabs on him from when WE did it at home! LOL

espinay
Registered Member
Username: espinay

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 203.10.231.231
Posted on Monday, November 8, 2004 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or what about those overseas groomers (not me, but I know of at least one) who had so much faith in the tool that they invested in a heap of them to sell to other groomers only to find that those groomers can now go and buy them for less than half the price over the internet! Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Tracy in Australia

magnolia
Registered Member

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Monday, November 8, 2004 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't been able to get my hands on this tool yet, but is this the same grooming/boarding facility that has a huge place somewhere in Missouri or something? A couple of years ago when I was looking for another job I went to a vet clinic up in the Dallas area that said they just spent over $1K on sending their techs there to learn how to do this "de shedding" program and they told me they were the only ones in Texas "certified" in this shedless treatment. I bout fell back in my chair when this vet told me this. They said they sent them there and invested in all these tools and a Romani HV dryer for this.

fleadip
Registered Member
Username: fleadip

Post Number: 349
Posted From: 24.242.246.180
Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 - 1:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The whole controversy is not that they are selling it on QVC, the issue is the PRICE. They charged the groomers $49.95 and then sell it on QVC for $24.95. If they sold it on QVC for $49.95, we would love that grooming tools are getting publicity. What everyone is mad about is the furminator company charging us $49.95 for a tool that retails for $24.95.

jimily
Registered Member
Username: jimily

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 205.188.117.11
Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 - 1:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have heard that a newbie groomer incurred a mega vet bill after slicing and dicing a cat with a furminator tool.
Get your mars tools at half the price! on EBay! Harm you pet and support a vet!
We have to use these tools with care or pay the vet bills. If nonprofessionals misuse these tools, these tools will be feared by those that hear of the mishaps and not the details.
SHAME SHAME SHAME!!! Consider the safety of the pets. I am sure you think you are brilliant at expanding your market. Also consider yourselves forwarned that YOU should be held responsible for the pain and suffering caused to pets by nonprofessionals.

espinay
Registered Member
Username: espinay

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 203.10.231.231
Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 - 2:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fleadip you got it in one. If they were only worth that much in the first place, why were groomers charged so much more? Dontya feel royally done over? (or words to that effect that I am too polite to type here)

Tracy in Australia

kk (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 65.238.17.64
Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't it the way with anything like that,you get something good going, and it is either released to the public, or they pull it off the market! Then replace it with something that is worse on the animals or humans. I don't get it! I didn't buy a Furminator just because of the price, but took a chance on ebay. Yes, its terrible, but I did get it much cheaper.

pixiedust
Registered Member
Username: pixiedust

Post Number: 832
Posted From: 66.184.138.46
Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep I paid the price too and it's a real pi$$er!
You know I took my toy poodles to the vet once for an AI and my brother in law and I held the dogs while Doc did the deed.Then I found out from my Aunt that she dropped off two Rotties for the same procedure and I was charged 20 bucks more for special handling!Hell if I had known that he could have done it all himself and not treated me special!

barknpurr
Registered Member
Username: barknpurr

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 68.39.194.138
Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fleadip -

You took the words right out of my mouth! I can understand if they need to branch out and make more money - but, if a product is really worth $50 bucks - why not charge that always?

I absolutely feel cheated. I wonder how many of their new "double wide" they will be able to sell to this jilted crowd?

Lisa

jimily
Registered Member
Username: jimily

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 152.163.101.11
Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will spit nickles before the word fu**ulator comes out of my mouth again. My customers will not hear it and I will not recommend it at shows either.
I am more miffed each time we share. Did they ever drop a dime and become a sponsor here?...or did they just let us do all their promoting.
Shame, Shame, Shame.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 1928
Posted From: 142.154.31.139
Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is too bad that this has happened. Obviously the message is that the average Joe will not pay $49 for it, but groomers will. I promoted this product and will continue to use it, but it does leave me bitter. I can understand wanting to make $ but why charge us more! Has anyone asked them that bluntly?

best_friends
Registered Member
Username: best_friends

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 24.92.162.12
Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2004 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I bought one of the new ones at the Fun in the Sun. It was a most dissapointing purchase. I can get much more undercoat out, easier, with an old fashioned shedding blade. Dont remember how much they cost but probably less than $10. I am just greatful I didnt pay for the whole program.

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 1932
Posted From: 142.154.31.54
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 7:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really! I actually love the product and use it on almost every dog. I took a picture of the mountain of hair I got out of my Sib and my lab mix and clients are shocked. On the other hand, I hate the shedding blade. Funny how everyone differs:-) That is what makes the world go round. You should sell your Furminator but I guess you could only get $24.99. LOL!!

rosalee
Registered Member
Username: rosalee

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 204.50.32.75
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 9:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nah, even the ones on Ebay that start out at only 5 bucks are still selling for 30-33 bones. It seems that most people don't yet know they can get them cheeper on QVC

justine
Registered Member
Username: justine

Post Number: 635
Posted From: 68.234.132.145
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, girls, it's been a while since I've been here. I miss you all. Now, I've figured it out and if you purchased one of their "kits" (which I did) and you receive the 25% off of your orders (like I do) you can get the blue furminator for $26.75 which is only $1.75 more than on QVC. Now, if QVC has outrageous shipping, you would actually be spending more. I started looking into this because I'm getting one for my sister for Christmas. Personally, I love mine. Another shop owner and I argue about it all the time, she hates hers. No, you don't get off as much hair as they do in the pictures, but you get off the fur that the pet is leaving all over the house and *that is what is important*. All of my customers who have chosen the extra service have been more than satisfied. I know this because I asked every one of them, most of them rescheduled for the service. As for people buying it off QVC and really using it, I think only about 1/4 of them would. And those people don't bring us their dogs anyway. Those that do, don't have the time to spend grooming their dog. For me it was worth the investment. I get referrals from it every day. Oh how I wish I was taking new clients. If I had the room, I'd be making a bundle.
Th-Th-Th-That's all for me folks. Those kids are keeping me *way* too busy. Miss, yinz.

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 1967
Posted From: 142.154.30.183
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have got the huge amount that the picture has but that is because my own Sib is neglected:-)

cher
Registered Member
Username: cher

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 24.57.10.190
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been reading this thread and they can sell all the furminators they want cheaper, whatever. Hey they sell dog brushes at the store and I can tell you most people have one and hardly use that so just think of it that way. Non groomers buy the furminator, in my opinion its an impulse buy I know, I do it all the time :-) but these people probably will never use it or if they tried it, it would be too much work.
It looks good on tv and you know they always make it look simple but the bottom line is our jobs are not easy. It is work to use any tool so there furminators are going to gather dust just like there brushes do.
As far as selling them on tv cheaper, thats always going to happen. They should at least sell the furminators to groomers cheaper than to the publlic. I don't own a furminator are they that good? I've got all the coat kings but no furminator. I'm trying to decide if I should buy one.

valharly
Registered Member

Post Number: 493
Posted From: 141.153.48.27
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think the point is whether they should sell them to the public or not, it is that htey marketed them to groomers at a HUGELY inflated price then turned around and sold them to the public for MUCH cheaper which invalidates their high price to groomers. I think they should give the groomers a rebate on their packages thye bought.

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 2357
Posted From: 156.34.167.11
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I LOVE my furminator and the groomers around here that have them, do also. It is used pretty much every day here. Plus I have two dogs of my own that I use it on. IT was an impulse buy I never regretted.

VAl I agree, they should give us some $ back!

cher
Registered Member
Username: cher

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 24.57.10.190
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok I now have decided that I should get one.
I am hoping I can actually get it through a Samoyed I do. What do you think?

valharly
Registered Member

Post Number: 494
Posted From: 141.153.48.27
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think for a Samoyed a Coat King is a much better tool.

bowow
Registered Member

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 66.82.9.32
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well you saw my post that was further up. I just bought three more tools for my shop and they are $26.00 if you did the inital shop purchase (said before). I have coat kings, and de0matters, and shedding blades, and rubber currys etc. Fact is my clients still LOVE the Furminator, and continue to ask for it time and time again at $30.00 additional to their grooming. They swear that they vaccum their house less and enjoy their pets more. I attached a picture of a dog that we did with the Furminator. This picture is after the entire grooming and we furminate before, in the tub and after so add that much hair times three.

bowow
Registered Member

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 66.82.9.32
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry...here is the picture it didn't takecollie mix

spur_canyon
Registered Member
Username: spur_canyon

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 65.45.140.196
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just went to the QVC site they must not have the Furminator any more. Couldn't find it in a search.

bennie
Registered Member
Username: bennie

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 207.250.54.129
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

QVC sold 7000 today.

undrwood
Registered Member
Username: undrwood

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 65.170.208.46
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you buy it on QVC, do you get the solution also? I'm under the impression that it's a combination of their special solution and the tool, that make it work so well.

AlsoAnonToday (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 165.247.178.183
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FURminator "special solution" is just Tropi Cleans Kava DeMat---save your money and buy from a REPUABLE company selling to groomers without trying to screw us over. Gee, wonder if THIS post will stay on the board for any length of time.....

minnieusa
Registered Member
Username: minnieusa

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 65.118.178.56
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received the furminator from QVC. QVC can be found doing a search thru googles. My furminator was on backorder for one month. No it does not come with any conditioner. I originally bought the furminator direct from the dealer for $50 and got a sample conditioner with it. The conditioner was very good. I then sold the furminator to a private party for $40. After using a 40 blade on a shepherd to deshed decided to buy another furminator from QVC for $24. It is the same tool as the one I paid $50 for. I have heard on another forum that Tropiclean Kiwi Conditioner might be the same as what Furminator was selling. But I really think any good conditioner will work the same way. I have also heard that the furminator works best when used right after grooming (bath & dry).

fleadip
Registered Member
Username: fleadip

Post Number: 389
Posted From: 24.242.240.51
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 1:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bowow, the dog looks beautiful, but I am confused. If the client did not want the extra furminator treatment and only a regular groom/ bath and brush, would you leave all that hair on the dog?

bowow
Registered Member

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 66.82.9.33
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No. The dog would still get the best grooming that we could do without the Furminator. Brushing and scissor wise the dog would look the same, just still be shedding when it went home.

We were never able to pull that much coat out before with just out coat kings and combs etc. I am not trying to push the Furminator on anyone, I'm just saying for my business it has been really profitable, mt customers love it, and so do my groomers.

sandy
Registered Member
Username: sandy

Post Number: 602
Posted From: 68.90.47.135
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The dog looks gorgeous. We have had similar results and have had the Furminator a couple of weeks. Our best results have been aussies and goldens. And you're right, you can achieve close to these these results without the tool, it is just a WHOLE LOT harder. On your hands, the dog, everybody. And then they are still shedding- but to me, the real benefit has been those dogs whose owners want them in an "in-between" length, like a 1" snap-on all over. We all know that the undercoat will stop those big combs in their tracks- and our only recourse is to Best Shot, brush, comb, rake, etc. Well, the very first client I sold the Furminator too was an aussie owner whose dog was just so frustrating to me to groom. I have done her for years, and her undercoat just WILL NOT blow out. I have posted about her before. Anyway, I thought the Coat King would be the answer, and it did help, but it really kills my hand because it has such a narrow width, and therefore doesn't cover much surface area in one stroke. That is what I love about the double-wide Furminator tool- the width. It is as easy on my hand as a brush.

My boss is a bit disconcerted about the lower price on QVC, as she spent over $200 just a few weeks ago on the "Salon Pack" or whatever it's called. Didn't come with all that much solution, either, if you ask me, for that price!! And am I just out of my mond, but WHERE on the bottles does it give a dilution ratio?? I happened to look on eBay to see if any conditioner was for sale there (it is), and saw the dilution ratio on one of the sites that was selling it. It says to dilute 1 cup to 5 cups water. Is that what you all are doing?

bowow
Registered Member

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 66.82.9.49
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 9:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a happy Mane Coon Furminatied
kitty

marilyn
Registered Member
Username: marilyn

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.35.95.231
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, those of you using the furminator, are you completely using a force dryer to dry the dogs after using something like best shot?

And... isn't the furminator a lot like a stripping knife? I have never seen one in person, but that is what it looks like, with at nice handle.

precious_pets
Registered Member
Username: precious_pets

Post Number: 338
Posted From: 69.68.26.72
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 3:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Furminator is a 40 blade attached to a handle. I made mine.

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 2367
Posted From: 156.34.172.2
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 8:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No,not a stripping knife. I always put the dogs I groom right in the tub and when conditioner is soaking in I brush the coat and then I dry them using high velocity.

bowow
Registered Member

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 66.82.9.82
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i don't know what best shot is. We don't ever force dry cats.
We do the basics before the bath like on any dog, wash and furminate in the tub to break the hair up better, then force dry, then hand dry and re-furminate. We feel it works the best that way. Espcially on Beagles and Bulldogs. If you get them in the tub. We don't use the solution really at all even tho' we have it.

Like said, the stripping knifes are totally different.

farfalla
Registered Member
Username: farfalla

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 216.241.129.163
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the Shedless Program sign from Barkliegh. I use my homemade furminator-like tool (a 40 blade welded to a pipe handle), a stripping knife, and/or coat kings. Different tools work better on different coats, so I just try them until I get one that works good. I also use a force dryer and Best Shot products with great results. Here's Spencer AFTER brushing, but before his bath.

I used a 20 blade coat king on his body and a stripping knife on his legs. I let the conditioner sit on him for a few minutes then use a rubber curry before rinsing it off, HV him a little, then mist him w/ Ultraplenish before getting him fully dry then more HV. I had enough hair off of him to make a whole other dog!

vehs
Registered Member
Username: vehs

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 203-34-140-190.netspeed.com.au
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 8:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to bring this up again guys, but I am a beginnger to dog grooming and need a few clarifications.

(a) Carding and furminating are essentially the same thing? What about using a shedding loop?

(b) I've always thought carding was done on terrier type dogs to maintain the wire coat, but I've now see it can be done on Labs etc to decrease shedding ??

(c) If b is correct how can a furminator stop shedding, is it merely removing all the dead/old hair that would drop off anyway? Does it cut the hair or pull it out?

(d) Is it practical to use on double coated breeds (huskies, GSDs..) as I see it it has very small 'teeth' and wouldn't make it through the guard hairs of a Shepherd's coat to reach the soft undercoat - if anything it would damage the guard hairs by cutting/tearing them. I also have some questions about coat kings....

Thanks to anyone who replies to clarify some of my questions, I really appreciate it!

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 9052
Posted From: adsl-69-155-229-141.dsl.tpkaks.swbell.net
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carding and furminating are the same thing. A shedding loop does the same thing but is coarser so misses a lot of hair but gets deeper into the coat. Both can cut coat to a small degree, and I'd be cautious about using on show dogs. A furminator is closer to a stripping knife than to shedding loops, due to size of teeth.

I've used carding (40 blade, same as Furminator) on lots of labs, pugs, etc. Don't like it on much longer haired dogs due to coat cutting, just IMHO. Also IMHO med.long/coarse-haired dogs do a bit better with a shedding loop.

Carding removes dead coat, doesn't stop shedding, just does a better job of getting rid of already loose coat.

vehs
Registered Member
Username: vehs

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 203-34-140-205.netspeed.com.au
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rev!

Although a lot of longer haired dogs like Border Collies and Shepherds look lovely and fluffy after a furminating session I was concerned about the cutting of hair - which is why I haven't and won't use it on my own dogs.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 9055
Posted From: adsl-66-142-214-95.dsl.tpkaks.swbell.net
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly, vehs.. when a tool removes anything but the fluffy cream/pale grey undercoat hair it's cutting the outer coat, which cycles no more than maybe once a year if that. If that's what's wanted, fine, but I sure don't want that with my collies. CK's and Furminators are out for them!

k9kosmo
Registered Member
Username: k9kosmo

Post Number: 11
Posted From: southcity-24.107.191.81.charter-stl.com
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been using the Furminator as well...I found that it works best on G. Shep lenght to beagle types. Anything longer is cutting the coat.
For my cats I use the Mars med/course knife...it's a tad bit longer.

I guess I should get on the bandwagon and start charging more for the "shedding treatments". So far I charge for x-brushing and a "SPAW" package which includes a spec. shampoo- conditioner for shedding and a tooth brushing.
Sometimes the customer expects miracles w/ a "shedding treatment" and complains later when the pet is still shedding. This is my way out of that mess...esp since I'm in a brand new shop.

arsjmw (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: adsl-68-88-34-111.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 8:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

k9kosmo- where at in STL are you from? Where is your new shop?

k9kosmo
Registered Member

Post Number: 27
Posted From: adsl-70-241-198-48.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm in So. City in Lafayette Square. We're at
http://www.fourmuddypaws.com

Will have to add my beagle furminator pic.

arsjmw (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: adsl-67-64-207-174.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey k9kosmo, i looked at ur website site IT"S REALLY GOOD. its nice to see a cool grooming salon with a good groomer in stl city! i was the grooming mngr at Groomingdales for 13 yrs just got let go at the end of March (long story) all i can say is i'm glad to be out of that mess!!!!

k9kosmo
Registered Member

Post Number: 28
Posted From: southcity-24.107.176.62.charter-stl.com
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well thanks!
I saw the outside of that Groomingdale's shop and it's really nice looking...haven't really gone into the new location.
You'll have to stop by and see the shop sometime!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com