Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Double k or groommaster clipper? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Tool Talk » CLIPPERS AND BLADES » CLIPPERS » Double k or groommaster clipper? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kycutiepie (ci904469-a.lxintn1.ky.home.com - 24.14.41.51)
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've been thinking of investing in a pair of heavy duty clipper before spring hits. i was looking in NES and i've narrowed it down to the double k or the groom master. the double k is very expensive but very light and fast, the groom master isn't as fast or light, but 1/2 the price. so my question is, does anyone have an opinion on either of these clippers? also, do these really help that much more then the andisag2? i hate to buy the cheaper ones and wish i got the other or vice versa, and if they don't work that much better then that would be alot of $ to waste. thanks for your comments.

Liz (63.77.17.254 - 63.77.17.254)
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've narrowed it down to the double k or the groom master.

Everyone I know who has bought a groom master has been disappionted. I have heard that they are basicly an A5 with a more limited blade selection. I had a Double K years ago. I found it aquward and cumbersom. If you are buying this for large dog shave downs check out the Lister Stablemate. It's made in England and imported by Premier. You won't know how you lived without it. Premier's # is 800282 6631. Liz

kk (celi-cache-1.dial.bright.net - 216.201.0.218)
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am with Liz- the Double K is very awkward to use. The cable is heavy and too thick for my use- too stiff and doesn't allow you much freedom of movement. I used these several years ago, and unless they have improved a BUNCH, I wouldn't waste my money on them. I love my Laubes, variable speed, but there have been a lot of people on here who don't like them and won't use them again. You can look up the comments on those posts. Just a few comments, IMHO.

Rev (spider-mtc-ti071.proxy.aol.com - 64.12.101.181)
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might want to investigate Aesculap clippers.. those are made in heavy duty for farm animals as well as lighter duty for house pets. I've heard about them for years as the "top of the line" in Europe.. perhaps we have a European or UK groomer or international competitor handy to comment on these? They are also quite expensive, and so are the blades.

Magnolia (cache1.ev1.net - 207.218.245.6)
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a pair of Double K a few years ago... while I was impressed with it's performance...I have to agree with the others...very very awkward to use. The thick cable is a PITA and difficult to manuever around with, also it the blades get hot very quickly. I only used it when I absolutely had to but honestly, in my opinion, it wasn't anything my Laube 2 speeds couldn't go through. I practically gave my Double K's away.

Particentral (spider-wg031.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.196.31)
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 6:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, I found the Double K heavy and awkward.

I only use Andis Super two speeds. If you want to make the shavedowns easier, just bathe them first! Makes the clipping time go ten times faster. Yes, it takes longer to dry them, and they sometimes need rebathing, but the money saved on blades to be sharpened, and the ease with which the hair falls off make it worth it.

Personally, I would buy a Driezze Sahara Turbo to dry the dogs faster, and a pair of Andis Super 2 speeds. Same money (or close) as the double k and two products!

Thedotteddog (208-25-57-12.stk.inreach.net - 208.25.57.12)
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Particentral , you are so right about the clean dogs!Much easier to clip. I am lucky, some of my customers even bathe their own dogs the day before I strip them for summer. I rebathe them but it makes my job easier. I will even give them a discount for doing that! I bought an andis super AGRi think it is the new one with the round body that is rechargeble and it is wonderful! I cant wait to get to those cockers and springers! I also bought the new corded AGC two speed and at first thought it was weird in my hand but i gave it a chance and now I love it! I have sold two of my osters for 60 each and only have two left. I might keep one for loaning to my daughter inlaw when she wants to clip her poodle.( I wont so it , It drives me nuts. )

dayan garst (spider-mtc-tg053.proxy.aol.com - 64.12.102.173)
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would go with the double-k. I have had mine for about 10yrs. And I could give up any other piece of equipment before I would give up the double-k. They increased the number of dogs a day I could do in about the second week and were able to pay for themselves in a very short time. I now have a second part as back-up.

piffy (ppp-209-144-213-161.dialup.pcmagic.net - 209.144.213.161)
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had my double k power clipper for close to 14 years, yes when I first got it the cable was a pita. I solved this by spring mounting the cable to the ceiling. now the spring is gone I use that power clipper every day and love it. Matted to the skin sheepdog stripped and bathed and dry in 60 minutes can an oster do this? I have done sheep also with this clipper.

K9klipper (spider-tl033.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.207.188)
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2001 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so Piffy, what do you charge for sheep? :) Had to ask. :)

piffy (ppp-209-144-214-59.dialup.pcmagic.net - 209.144.214.59)
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

k9klipper
I have gotten 50 dollars to #7k no bath no kidding. It takes a little more than an hour. I have done this before a class of kids and they love watching. It is very rewarding job. A local farm school in my area has a sheep. I have done twice before.
piffy

K9klipper (spider-wk041.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.198.166)
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 6:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! I just never thought about grooming anything other than dogs/cats. I have had people ask me to do bunnies. That's cool for you! I don't think I would want to try to get one in the van and into the tub to bathe (sheep) :) how neat to show kids the art of grooming! it's nice when they want to watch, but aren't disruptive about it.

Rev (spider-tl053.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.207.198)
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think most sheep shearers make anything like $50 per sheep, nor do they take an hour to do one--I rented a house on a farm for a while, and when the shearer came he was there maybe half a day doing around 30 sheep. I think they only make a few bucks apiece, that's it, nice enough hourly pay if they're fast. They also often leave the sheep pretty sliced up.. a few cuts are no big deal, and I've heard many mentions of large-scale shearing resulting in mutton stew as a common outcome.

Patti (64.129.138.37)
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 8:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking ahead to those nasty matted dogs you see in the summer. Trying to decide between oster Clipmaster or Double-K 401 wall mount. The double-K has a 12foot long cable for greater range. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kmeyer
Registered Member
Username: kmeyer

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 64.71.99.192
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 1:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What kind of blade did you use to clip sheep with the Double K? I have a Lama I need to clip and I need to know if they make a snap on sheep clipping blade or which blade would work the best for the job!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com