Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Quiet but powerful nail grinder? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Tool Talk » SMALL TOOLS » MISCELLANEOUS SMALL STUFF » Quiet but powerful nail grinder? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

msminnamouse
Registered Member
Username: msminnamouse

Post Number: 227
Posted From: 108.56.189.223
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, I used to have that blue Oster piece of trash but it stopped working soon after I got it, brand new, even though I was only using it on one dog! Never dropped it either.

Then I got a Black and Decker and it's a power horse but it's pretty loud. EVEN with one of those extension tools/flexible shafts. EVEN when I shut the actual grinder in a drawer.

Do you guys have recommendations for a nail grinder that's quiet yet powerful and reliable? I don't prefer something big but it doesn't matter too much, I guess.

Also, anyone know why the flexibly shaft is noisy too or are they all noisy? I can't use mine on high speed or it gets hot pretty fast where you're supposed to hold it.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 9769
Posted From: 65.70.156.107
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always used the small rechargeable Dremel brand. I think it's the mini mite.

Barb

papsnpaints
Registered Member
Username: papsnpaints

Post Number: 3787
Posted From: 208.4.186.25
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used the rechargeable Dremel for 5-6 years. I have two and three batteries so I always had a back up. They finally wore out. So I bought a blue Oster at a grooming show. Loved it and it quit on me after just 2-3 months like I was warned by other groomers here that it would. I did like it being corded rather than rechargeable batteries.
So I went to Lowe's and bought a corded dremel. Not the dremel brand name I can't remember the brand name I'm not at work. It doesn't have variable speed and is loud. It scared the heck out of me to use it at first. I'm used to it now and because it's so powerful it is VERY fast and I don't have to put up with the noise for long. My groomer bought a corded tool that is variable speed and has the wand type flexible extension. It's awesome! I like it better than mine but don't use it very often unless I have to do nails on her table for some reason because then mine seems scary again.
I'm just one goat shy of being the crazy goat lady.
http://toomanygoats.blogspot.com/

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 9773
Posted From: 65.70.156.107
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an electric dremel. Yes those are powerful and scary! I've used it on my own dogs, but I don't feel comfortable using it on client dogs. It's saved for household projects. :-)

Barb

3mina
Registered Member
Username: 3mina

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 209.91.107.178
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a corded dremel with the extension shaft & I love it. As far as the shaft being noisy, make sure you aren't putting a sharp bend in it when you use it. According to my instruction page, no more than a 5 or 6 inch loop.
If the noise is really disturbing for you maybe the cooler trick I've seen on other threads would work, you'd need a small lunchbox cooler but that should work, or you could line the drawer you had it in with styrofoam.
Hope that helps

barbergroomer
Registered Member
Username: barbergroomer

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 99.72.117.8
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use the Andis 2 speed nail grinder with the large bands. Quiet to me and if I have a really big dog I'll use my electric dremel also with wide large band. For small dogs with long hair and puppies I use a mani pro variable speed electric nail grinder(like they use in professional nail salons) very very quiet. It also will stop if hair gets caught in it. A safety feature, so it won't pull. Actually use it the most and all grinders are corded.

loves
Registered Member
Username: loves

Post Number: 2241
Posted From: 173.27.17.154
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a dremel for years and it died so I pulled out the blue Oster thing which I'd gotten when purchasing shears and will never have another one. Ok, it did drop once, but not a concrete floor and it has already bit the dust. That is after less than 3 months of use. Sorry Oster, will be going back to the dremel. Yes Oster was quieter and had more speed adjustments, but for what it would have cost me, it should have lasted much much longer, like years!

bethm
Registered Member
Username: bethm

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 75.195.21.242
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a Mini Mite years ago...still working but having problems with battery packs not charging fully-one is only a year old so don't know why it doesn't hold charge that long. I bought a cordless "Dremel"..works great, a bit too powerful at times and louder than the MM-hold charge and charges fast. Had a corded Dremel but was always worried about it as it won't stop if hair gets caught in it like a cordless. Saw the Furminator grinder at Groom Exp, figured I'd try it..not bad. Got new rechargables for back up. Dropped it yesterday, turned it on..no cracks still working! not as powerful as the Dremel-lighter plastic, not sure why they put the light on it because the way I hold it the light is not shining on the nail. Good for the price.

kitty
Username: kitty

Post Number: 4424
Posted From: 24.45.101.132
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The speed of the corded machines scared the daylights out of me when I first started using the things...so I bought a AA battery driven Dremel brand one, have used it for years and LOVE it. Powerful enough and very quiet. This is the one I bought the "cupped" stone head for recently for jewelry work and then realized you could just stick the cut nail into the cup and roll it around a sec and come out with all surfaces beautifully filed.
The best things in life...aren't things!

msminnamouse
Registered Member

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kitty, which one are you talking about?

I don't like cutting, I like using a grinder to shorten them, not just for finishing work.

I can try to cooler method with the one I have. But I still am interested in the others out there.

I particularly wonder how the Master Grooming Tools with the built on flexi shaft is. Sure is expensive though.

debbie
Registered Member
Username: debbie

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 76.241.103.209
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 7:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Loved the MGT with the flexible shaft. Lasted about 3 months with very limited use

wolfhound
Registered Member
Username: wolfhound

Post Number: 933
Posted From: 74.170.250.50
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cordless dremels have served me well for years. My current one is now about 7 years old with the original battery pack.

I also have a corded dremel with flexi-shaft(the extension shaft)that I used for years but the cord is a pain in the set-up I'm working in now. When my table was against the wall with the outlet there, it was perfect. With the table set away from the wall, it's too far to stretch the cord, then working ANOTHER cord around everything, it's just a pain.

I would watch grinding nails down instead of properly cutting then grinding to smooth. The grinding of the nail often heats the nail, and it can be very uncomfortable and possibly painful. I would worry about damaging the nail bed grinding down overgrown nails.

Dremels also have the added benefit of about 500 different attachments that you can get to do all sorts of projects with in addition to dog nails.

msminnamouse
Registered Member

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I only grind in short bursts, never allowing the nail to heat up. Imho, I think grinding had a lot less potential to cause pain than squeezing the quick or cutting into thr quick. I never grind into the quick. I only do little bits each visit on over grown nails, working at them to get them the proper length. I would never cut or grind into quicks.

msminnamouse
Registered Member

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe I'll go to Home Depot or Lowes and ask if they'll let me see the grinders turned on.

3mina
Registered Member
Username: 3mina

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 209.91.107.246
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I grind just about everything & I don't have any issues with the nails heating or quicking. I've noticed that since I grind so much I have trouble with quicking when I have to use the nail clippers.
Any of the MGT stuff is the house brand & nothing I've used from that line is as good, IMO, as the products they've copied. I would go with something that isn't a knock off.

distinctivedog
Registered Member
Username: distinctivedog

Post Number: 911
Posted From: 68.51.91.192
Posted on Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found that the 7.2V cordless Dremel batteries don't last very long. I've gone through several over the last few years, and am genuinely aggravated that they die so quickly.

Like 3mina, I am always skeptical of the MGT brand; however, my boss bought the MGT grinder with the flexi shaft. She's had it for probably close to a year, and it seems to be holding up well.

As far as clipping vs. grinding, I prefer to take as much length off as I dare, then grind them. I find that it is quicker, and produces less dust. Of course, if a dog really hates the clippers, I just use the grinder, or vice versa.
Brandi

loves
Registered Member

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Monday, January 2, 2012 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I grind all nails, in fact probably barely cut any the last two days since grinder was broken. Especially long nails are cut down before grinding though. But don't quick them, no pain, short bursts and really doesn't take more than a few seconds to grind down and love the smooth edges. I also only grind after the bath and after feet are trimmed up some, don't want all that dirt and crud in the air or long hair in the way.

msminnamouse
Registered Member

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, January 2, 2012 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me too loves. I just really don't like cutting nails. I have a good clipper and can do it and know how to do it but some dogs are just such big babies or maybe even ultra sensitive, I don't know, I don't have their nail structure, that I hate cutting and prefer grinding.

My own dog has quicks right down to the ends of her nails and even with everything we do, they are sooo stubborn to recede. I would never use clippers on her.

One time I did nail cutting at a dog wash fundraiser (I had said that I would do it IF some one would restrain the dogs but of course no one did) and that was a mistake..... Dogs carried on and the owners were worried and everybody stopped to look every time a dog yelped even though I didn't cut into any quicks and my clippers are nice and sharp. The yelps just really got to me and I guess I'm clipper shy now. I still use them on occasion for long, light colored nails where I can see the quicks and I'll only use them at the very tips of the nails.

And that is my story.

papsnpaints
Registered Member
Username: papsnpaints

Post Number: 3792
Posted From: 208.4.186.25
Posted on Monday, January 2, 2012 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only time I use nail clippers is if the nails are really long and I tip them then grind. I use nail clippers on dew claws too because it's hard to get in there and not catch hair.
I find dog's prefer the nail grinder over clippers.
I'm just one goat shy of being the crazy goat lady.
http://toomanygoats.blogspot.com/

wizardofpaws
Registered Member
Username: wizardofpaws

Post Number: 3062
Posted From: 70.41.124.124
Posted on Monday, January 2, 2012 - 9:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any MGT product is junk. I have tried several of their products and always been disappointed.

The first nail grinding tool I got was a dremmel (mini mite, I believe). It was a Xmas present from my MIL. I think I had been grooming all of 2 years when she got it for me. So that's been 10 years ago now. I still use it every day. It was my one and only one and I would use it until the battery died because I read somewhere that those types of batteries would start losing a charge if you plugged them in before they died. I am still on my original battery with it. In fact, it is so old that when I went to get a spare battery as a 'back up' they no longer sold them. So I had to buy a whole new dremmel for a back up! My new one has more power, which I was scared of at first, but quickly got used to and though it is MUCH louder than my original one it makes such quick work of the job that I like it more. It just takes the dogs a bit to get used to the extra noise since they are used to how quiet the other one was.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be there sitting beside you saying "Man, that was fun!"

bethm
Registered Member
Username: bethm

Post Number: 396
Posted From: 75.195.9.163
Posted on Monday, January 2, 2012 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wizardofpaws..that's exactly how my mini mite worked (and is still working) but I was lucky enough to find a pet supply business in my old area that had a battery pack! So now I have 3 cordless that I rotate as batteries are charging.

I too, rarely clip nails..if the nails are long and the dogs don't mind I hack off as much as I can, then grind. I only have a few dogs that won't tolerate the grinder..then I just do the best I can. One trick I started using with dogs bad for nails (a bit tricky to hold) is fake them out by clipping a pad, putting the clipper down running then grind or clip a nail or two...worked for an absolutely spastic Pom mix...first time the dogs nails where all done at the same time in months!

neshane
Registered Member
Username: neshane

Post Number: 305
Posted From: 50.102.160.47
Posted on Wednesday, January 4, 2012 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use the corded Pedicure, I bought it online about 5 years ago. I like the safety cap on it so hair won't get wound up in it. I have had dremmels too but they were loud and scared hair would get caught in it.

loves
Registered Member

Post Number: 2244
Posted on Thursday, January 5, 2012 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My new dremel is quieter than the Oster and previous dremel's, was only $20 and am so glad to have a dremel again

msminnamouse
Registered Member

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, January 5, 2012 - 2:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

loves, What dremel do you use?

neshane, do you mean Peticure?

How do you know if the Peticure guard will fit on the dremmel or other brand grinder you buy?

loves
Registered Member

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Friday, January 6, 2012 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is the 7300 model. So far, I love it, works great and really quiet for a dremel. and inexpensive!

amysuz
Registered Member
Username: amysuz

Post Number: 1078
Posted From: 204.107.53.153
Posted on Friday, January 6, 2012 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michelle, when you say "blue Oster piece of trash" do you mean the corded one, or cordless (called Gentle Paws)? I have the cordless one, which was silver when I bought it a couples years ago, but I see from pictures online that it's blue now too. Anyway, I love my Oster Gentle Paws Nail Trimmer! It's not too loud, the batteries last a pretty long time, and the grinding stone seems to last forever.

bbird
Registered Member
Username: bbird

Post Number: 1559
Posted From: 174.254.24.223
Posted on Friday, January 6, 2012 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the 7300 & love it.
BBird writes for groomers - http://Groomblog.blogspot.com

msminnamouse
Registered Member

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, January 7, 2012 - 1:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant the corded one, the slim one that only comes in blue.

I think I'll probably get the 7300 too.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com