Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Alternative to ear plucking powder? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » General Groomers Chat » THE FRUGAL (CREATIVE) GROOMER » Alternative to ear plucking powder? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

westiemom
Registered Member
Username: westiemom

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 75.100.25.238
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have an idea for this?

rpg
Registered Member
Username: rpg

Post Number: 791
Posted From: 199.246.2.9
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a 40 blade and go right over the opening. This removes all hairs coming out of the canal and removes the guard hairs at the entrance of the canal.
I only pluck if I can not see the canal.
Any help?

qbert
Registered Member
Username: qbert

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 71.55.11.3
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sometimes use a block of rosin sold for stringed instruments - just get my fingers tacky enough to give a grip. No good for ears that are full of nasty greasy waxy goo, but for simply clearing a bit of excess hair it's clean and quick.

westiemom
Registered Member

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 66.190.3.159
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. rpg, we have a vet in town that tells the customers to 'tell your groomer to do a better job on the ears' if they are not plucked clean and spotless. So the 40 blade wouldn't work for me, although I do clip around them and the inside of the ear flap.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 4932
Posted From: 68.91.223.145
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I work part time in a Vet clinic. After going to some conferences, one of the Drs asked me not to use the powder in the ear. One of the lectures discussed the problems some are seeing when lots of powder is used.

It was suggested to just dip my hemostats or fingers in it to coat them, and not the hairs.

Barb

nkswen
Registered Member
Username: nkswen

Post Number: 498
Posted From: 72.218.225.50
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if one of those nose trimmers for men would work on ears.

gone2dogs
Registered Member
Username: gone2dogs

Post Number: 1819
Posted From: 156.34.160.252
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wodner about that too, those nose trimmers....

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 4934
Posted From: 68.91.223.145
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought the reason for plucking the ear was to clear the ear canal. The nose trimmers are only going to shorten the hair. The short hair will still block air flow to the inner ear canal.

Barb

westiemom
Registered Member

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, I don't think the nose trimmer would be such a good idea. Could you imagine how loud it would be, right in their ear?? BBUZZZZZZZZZZ. :-)

dogdayz
Registered Member
Username: dogdayz

Post Number: 1009
Posted From: 69.29.160.105
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if using powdered gloves that have some sort of fingertip grip are available?
I use the little blunt tip scissors to trim away the bulk and then if there is still alot blocking the canal I pluck only if it comes out easily (the R7 ear powder it seems to be the best) then I use my microtek spray on a cotton ball and clean any powder they may be left.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 2513
Posted From: 156.34.190.4
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny how some vets say that and my vet says the opposite. Tell the vet to clean them himself. That is what they get paid the big bucks for:-)

sandy
Registered Member
Username: sandy

Post Number: 1381
Posted From: 70.140.22.94
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah I don't get that either. One of our vets says it is important, the other says not so much, at the same clinic!

bluebonbon
Registered Member
Username: bluebonbon

Post Number: 2034
Posted From: 207.200.116.6
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After many years, and some complaints, either from using powder or not using powder, I have come to the conclusion that I will ONLY remove hair I can see. If the ear looks abnormal at all, I refer to the vet because I know that they can see into the ear with special scope, and I can't. I just tell the customer that their best resource for ear cleaning of probem ears is the vet. I had a problem customer years ago whose vet faulted me for the ear problem, perhaps caused by too much ear powder. The dog has chronic ear problems but I don't touch them. I do put cotton in dogs ears before the bath, and trim visible hair, and clean the outer portion that I can clearly see. Anything deeper, go to your vet. I refuse to be blamed for chronic ear problems that need daily or weekly care, not just when I groom the dog.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 2568
Posted From: 156.34.185.253
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love when a client complains that I caused an ear problem. I say that jokingly. It is always the dogs with chronic ear problems and likely related to the crap they feed their dog. I will say, it hasn't happened much but I remember 2-3 times it was brought up...

tami
Registered Member
Username: tami

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 74.70.246.174
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stopped using ear powder, for the most part. I am still able to get a grip with hemos. There is so much about "to pluck or not to pluck" I pluck what comes out easy and I don't go for bald. If there is just a little hair in there but you can still see inside I just clean them.

rpg
Registered Member
Username: rpg

Post Number: 798
Posted From: 199.246.2.9
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Corn Starch

underdog
Registered Member
Username: underdog

Post Number: 859
Posted From: 69.46.213.54
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

westiemom, when those customers hear from you that you are plucking out all that you can within the dogs comfort level, it won't matter what this vet says. I have 2 in my area that also think it is my job to pluck an ear canal bald. One told a customer of mine with a new puppy the same thing "tell your groomer to do a better job!" Well, since it had been a first groom for the puppy, the customer was here watching & I told her we would try a little ear plucking but if he got too upset, we would stop. Sure enough, the puppy was getting irritated, so I stopped. She was there to witness it. So, she tells me what her vet had said on the next grooming & she tells me that she told the vet what my policy is, & she thought it was fair too. Plus the vet was having a heck of a time handling this puppy at the time. The owner said he wasn't having any luck plucking the hair, how was the groomer suppose to? Anyways, I really cleaned those ears out on that 2nd appt & he wasn't bothered by it otherwise I would have stopped. Guess what? He got ear hematomas from shaking his head & had to be brought to the vet! The owner told the vet, "you told the groomer to pluck better!" I hope that made him rethink his policy. But I was really sad this little dog had to go through that. I was baffled also as it didn't seem to be bothering him in the least & he's a big baby. If it had, I would have definitley stopped plucking no matter what the vet had said.

westiemom
Registered Member

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks, underdog. Yeah, it is extremely frustrating sometimes. Especially when the vet makes it sound like life or death whether the hair gets pulled out or not. And like we don't know OUR jobs if it isn't done to their specifications. All in all I have a very good working relationship with the vets in town. This one just made me a little testy. :-)

poodlechick
Registered Member
Username: poodlechick

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 64.252.49.210
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had Brook spayed today, and my vet pulled the hairs in her ears while under sedation. My request. I had some pulled while grooming, but there was so much of it and very thick. We only did a little, poor thing was not liking it one bit. So on request, the vet did it, and she never knew it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.