Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

I started a backbone today!!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » General Groomers Chat » SPINAL TRANSFUSIONS » I started a backbone today!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

magnolia
Posted From: 12.239.40.22
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a new grooming client with 2 lhasa's that made 2 appt's last week and cancelled and rescheduled again for monday.. she cancelled I told the receptionists she does this tomorrow ( now today) she has to leave a credit card number and will be charged $40 for both dogs (not a piece) if she no shows again. Well, she did it she called as I was coming up to the reception desk and I happened to mention her name one of the receptionists said oh, she's on the phone right now, I asked if she was cancelling again, she said yes she wasn't feeling good..I told her what we discussed about doing if she does it again. I got on the phone and told her if she wants to rebook again she will have to leave a credit card number because she booked 4 times now and hasn't shown up and calls when it's too late and I've turned down dogs counting on her being here and that I'm losing money and it's hard to support a family and run a business when people don't stick to their appointments and don't cancel in a timely manner...she said well ok then never mind I'll just go somewhere else...... WHEW!!!! LOL
she's still the clinics client though, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

progroom
Posted From: 65.28.99.45
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 6:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm working on that speech right now too. The man calls and makes an appt back in Nov and no shows. Calls again a couple weeks ago and books for last Tuesday. He called that morning to cancel and reschedule. Rescheduled for yesterday and he no shows.
Big flapping red flags talking to him on the phone so I'm glad he didn't show. If he calls, I'm telling him he'll need to send a non refundable deposit first.

Barb

yorkees
Posted From: 66.248.78.110
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good for you magnolia, and just do it Barb...these kinds of people mess up your schedule, cost you money and cause stress..ELIMiNATE stress all you can...you can start with these two people..LOL! !!
No one needs these types...I think like this on these people..if 10 people did this to me 3 times in a year, x 40 beans avg, they cost me 1200 bananas...and I could have done a lot of with 1200 bananas!!
Think green$$$$$$ !!

magnolia
Posted From: 12.239.40.22
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what I did...I thought of green! I would have made my quota for the day if this woman had not done what she did, she blew it for me 3 days in a row and if she had done it a fourth she would have knocked me out of $320 within a whole week...that hurts when you're tryin to pay bills and barely gettin by to begin with. The vets totally supported my decision.

louie
Posted From: 65.129.16.16
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well done magnolia:-)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdnenya
Registered Member
Username: cdnenya

Post Number: 1063
Posted From: 66.185.84.204
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question. How many of you get customers coming in, say, for nails and then while you are trimming the dog's nails or shortly after they say, "would you mind trimming just around the eyes?" and next thing you know, you are trimming out the pads, plucking ears, or worse, doing a "tidy up" for the price of a nail trim! ack!

None of my regulars do this, but I do have two people who tend to just drop by (and I groom out of my house so this is really annoying at times when I'm busy or taking the day off). These two people always tell me they just want the nails done, then they ask if I can just trim up around the face, then they say, "oh, would you mind checking his ears", etc. Sometimes if I am lucky they'll give me an extra five bucks (so that makes it ten dollars) but still, I find it really annoying if first they don't call, then it ends up being a tidy up just because they are too cheap to come in for a full groom.

After all, I have to pay my morgage payments, too. Then there's my hydro bill, plus my regular customers who are often left waiting in their crates even though they booked first. And groceries aren't cheap, either! I'm sick and tired of $5 nail trims turning into tidy ups!

Sorry for venting, just wanted to know how you guys would handle this.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 1488
Posted From: 65.27.17.122
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a home salon too. Luckily I've only had a few people who've decided to drop off earlier than their appt and I've never had a walk in.

For the early drop offs, I act very concerned when I tell them that they really need to CALL before dropping off early. I work by appt only and if I don't have anyone scheduled till 9, I'll sometimes run out early and do some errands. I'd just hate to have them come and find me not here and then either have to take the dog ALL the way back home, or be late for work while they wait for me.

So far it's worked.

You could do the same thing. If you can see them parking, start acting as if you are just leaving. Make an issue out of staying for just a quick toenail trim, but anything more and you'll be late for YOUR appt.
If you still have dogs there, you could mention someone, not qualified for nail trims, in some other part of the house to keep an eye on things.

Could you put up a price chart for the extras? Toenail $5, ear cleaning $5, face neatening $5 etc. ?

Barb

cdnenya
Registered Member

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Barb thanks for getting back to me so quickly! This issue isn't a big one, but it has been bothering me lately, probably because the two customers that do this both happened to show up on the same day last week and got me behind schedule! annoying!

I don't drive, but most of my customers don't know that, so I could pretend to be going somewhere as my husband's car is usually parked in the driveway during the day. I only groom from 9-5 Monday-Friday (only occ. Sats) and by appointment, and both my sign and the door into my home grooming shop states my hours, but sometimes I take a day off if I don't have any bookings, but some people still drop by without calling to either book an appointment or have their dogs nails trimmed.

I think it is because I used to groom at my storefront location, and customers are still used to being able to swing by and get their dogs nails done without having to call, since I'd be stuck sitting there all day at my old shop even if I didn't have anyone booked. Those were the boring days, believe me! I read a lot of books back then. I've only been grooming in my home shop for three months, so I still have to "train" some of my customers to CALL FIRST.

These two customers are just trying to get away with something I think. I'm using sis's computer right now, and she thinks it is more of a backbone problem on my part (she's right). I should definately think about adding onto my price sign, letting people know that I am now going to charge for extra things on top of nail trims. Some of these customers come in for $5 nail trims and leave with $10 or even $15 of work on their dog, all because I am "too nice" too often. And being nice doesn't always pay the bills!

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 6154
Posted From: 205.188.209.135
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could smile pleasantly and say, "Of course.. my a la carte fee is $40 per hour". Or $10 per quarter hour, or something like that.

diamondog
Registered Member
Username: diamondog

Post Number: 1463
Posted From: 206.231.186.95
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cdnenya, I just speak up. That'll be 5 for the nails and 10 for the neaten.
So, they may be like, "What?" "I didn't know it would cost that much." So you say, "Yes, and it's really a pretty good deal, I think you're smart to do this, it saves you as you can go a little longer between grooms. Only thing is, you'd better call next time, I'm getting pretty independent now that I have my shop at home and if I don't have appointments I sometimes go out."
Or, they may say, "Well, I've had you do this several times and you didn't charge me this much." And you can laugh and say, "I know, but I'm learning."

chezgroomer
Registered Member
Username: chezgroomer

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 64.12.97.9
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a lady who lives three doors over who used to do this. And I just decided that the ONLY way to deal with her was to say "Oooo I am sorry I don't have time EVEN for nails today, can you come back tomorrow" OR Today is My DAY OFF, I can't break the rules EVEN for you! Give them a card with your phone number and get them the idea. Then when they say...Just nails and you get on the table...and they say "can you..." Say..yeah..I have time for that today, but it does cost more!" I don't know how it is we let these customers do this to us (and we have ALL been there!) :-D

suez
Registered Member
Username: suez

Post Number: 338
Posted From: 162.39.36.174
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 7:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cdnenya, at my shop we call it "nails +" a basic nail trim is $5 and that is trimming the nails and neatening the hair with scissors. Then it is $2 more for each additional service. Face trim = $2, sanitary = $2 more, see where I'm going? And if they walk in and I don't have time that's just what I tell them. I'll give them an idea of how long they will have to wait or they can get smart and call before they drop by.

Chelseaa AKA Moleen (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 205.188.209.135
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 8:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cdnenya, been there done that! I think we all have..............next time "they" come in for a "nail trim" and start on the "can you just trim the eyes too?"........smile and say "I'd be happy to, but any scissoring in addition to a nail trim is $20 EXTRA! AND SMILE WHILE YOU SAY THIS! Works EVERY time!

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 781
Posted From: 142.154.31.29
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 5:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just put my nails up to $10. I dont mind doing it as much then, but for people who show up when I'm not working, I don't answer the door!! They can ring the doorbell forever and I don't answer or if Kev is home, he goes to the door. I recently had someone show up Sunday evening and want to go over prices. Kev told them to call Monday. Annoying. Yep, you have to get a backbone, girl, because it is only 2 now, but it could become more easily. Just tell them your new policy is, you want more, you pay more. Put up a price list, if you need. I just put one up yesterday:-)

kk (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 209.143.10.174
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 5:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All very good advice. I haven't really had that problem yet, but when I do have the ones who have called and want the nails done, I try and get them in, but when they ask for the extras, I tell them I am really under the gun, and just don't have the time, as some of the dogs I have in have owners who are going to work at a certain time. You have to learn how to stick to this! And you aren't being mean, THEY are being rude! And why not charge extra for those extra services?? Its more work, and they think they can do this all the time for nothing. Get that backbone going, girl!! You are a business, regardless of where you are! JUST SAY NO!! OR- smile and tell them its extra for that!!!!!!! Can you do that in a beauty salon? NO!! Well, you can't do it in Karen's place, either!!!!!!

cdnenya
Registered Member

Post Number: 1066
Posted From: 198.20.46.254
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 2:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much everyone. :-)

I was talking to my friend Terina today, she grooms for the other grooming shop in my town, and I was telling her about my post complaining about people trying to get tidy ups for free. We can always call each other and rant when needed! It is so nice having another groomer so close by to talk to. I've told her all about the GL so hopefully she'll be visting soon :-) as she just got internet access at home (hey, if you are reading this Terina, say hello!).

Ok, on to my complaint. Thanks everyone for responding and for the suggestions. It helps that Sean works nights, so sometimes I can call him into the shop in the morning or during the day if I have a problem or just a real PITA customer that I am having trouble handling on my own. I tend to let people walk over me sometimes even when I know I shouldn't let it happen! But it is sooo true that you can't be a doormat unless you let it happen. I just need to toughen up a bit!

groomerjc
Registered Member
Username: groomerjc

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 66.185.84.76
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 3:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
Why do you not have a tidy up fee which is $25-30 then if these people come over when you are not working on your day off just tell them "Its my day off and let them know you do not do drop in's give them a card and tell them you book 3-4 days in advance, they will get the picture. If they say it's just a nail trim have a day you only do nail trims and then also tell them if they want more then its a tidy up fee which is ears, feet and face at $25-35 without bath. You really do not want these people as clients anyway, one they will either play by your rules or two they will leave, either way it benefits you. Either they make an appointment and its a larger fee or they leave in which you do not have to put up with them anymore. Do not let these type of people walk all over you, train your clients to be the clients you want or fire them. If they do and act like this with you then 10-1 they do and act this way with everyone and their word of mouth does not mean anything any how.
I learned to have a backbone the hard way but now I have the type of clients I want and they others are someone elses problems and I have more smooth and stress fre days.Your time is worth way more then $5.good luck just try it its being assertive not mean. I tell myself this all the time.

clover
Registered Member
Username: clover

Post Number: 483
Posted From: 207.134.76.19
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cdnenya, can you put a "closed" sign (you know, those red & white ones!) on the other side of your "business hours" sign, so when you're not there, you can flip it over & it says CLOSED! ??? Then they don't know you "should" be there, hehehe! Also post your business name & phone # in the window, with "by appointment only" under it. Then on your answering machine you can say you are "open by appointment."
For myself, shop prices for nails are $5 +, then face is 5 more, pads are 5 more, etc etc... It's happened to me too where it's just for nails, then they want more. As they tell me they want this & that, I look up right away & say, sure, but that's $5 more! Then they KNOW! LOL.
I agree, post your a la carte prices, you can put it beside your FSG list. Get that friend of yours busy!!!

cdnenya
Registered Member

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 9:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clover, yah, I am going to call my friend Dave today and ask him to make me another sign, I think I'll have it read "a la carte" prices (add-ons)! I already have a sign which states my FG prices and bath prices clearly, I think you've seen that one (the one with the cocker spaniel on it?). I can easily wipe off the prices because he used permanent markers for the logo and sizes but then I go over it with an erasable marker where I can put my prices, in case I want to change them.

Thanks so much for the push groomerjc, I think it is just what I needed to hear!

Mikki'sMommyaka LogisMom (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 4.21.215.232
Posted on Saturday, October 4, 2003 - 3:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I did it. Lady brings in this poor little wire fox. Religiously has him groomed once a year whether he needs it or not, and he is such as good little guy. He's up in years, has neurological problems with rear legs, and he can't walk, obviously he can't stand either. With the help of my bather, and a new groomer saddle acquired to a newbie groomer friend of ours, we made it work. He sat very nicely on the saddle, didn't move. Took us over 2 hours just to take the pelt off-longer than that with the fact he got frequent rest breaks (only reason his little feet weren't scraped up from dragging was because of over an inch of pelt on him). I called owner and told her price has to go up...waaaaay up. I charged her double; which she willingly paid (I won't say gladly). No it wasn't enough, but the rest of my payment came in the form of one happy little wire fox for whatever time he has left. Same day I advised another owner price goes up...he gladly paid it. I may stay in the business after all. Owner asked me if I was willing to try to groom her Airdale...he's only 5 years old and has never been groomed...due to the fact he has an attitude. I told her sure.....but it was going to cost her....if he were in the condition of the little guy....triple if she's lucky provided we can pull it off. She said no problem. I seem to get the hard to handles. I've decided not to fight it any more, go with it. If myself and my assistant can't handle em, ain't nobody short of a vet and drugs can handle em. Specialization costs money.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.