Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Home made grooming table Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » General Groomers Chat » THE FRUGAL (CREATIVE) GROOMER » Home made grooming table « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

grmrsan
Registered Member
Username: grmrsan

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 216.6.226.253
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone here made thier own grooming tables? If so, what kind of wood is best? The pressed wood on one of my tables rotted smellily, and I would like something that won't die so easily.

magnolia
Registered Member
Username: magnolia

Post Number: 349
Posted From: 67.162.180.223
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not a lumber expert here, but I would think a thick cut of solid pine or oak? And put that deck coating on it and a rubber mat? Just an idea.

karen_vp
Registered Member
Username: karen_vp

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 24.54.108.139
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 4:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

most grooming table tops are made from a good grade plywood probably at least 3/4". You could coat it with that truck bed liner paint and it should be resistant to the water fairly well but refraining from drying a really drenched dog on it would help better.

trucolours
Registered Member
Username: trucolours

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 68.194.82.176
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thick plywood is great, but heavy. I know there is something else out there. A lite, strong material. Whatever you do, make it big enough. My own dogs do not groom well on my table. I use a picnic table for them. Fiberglass. That's it, fiberglass. Rubber mat on fiberglass, sounds ok. You would'nt have to worry about water, but I'm still not sure. My regular grooming table is not all that strong. Got to think about this one.

cae
Registered Member
Username: cae

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 12.243.157.236
Posted on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, so a picnic table could conceivably work. How about those square, round or oval *plastic* (you know the ones) patio tables. If you could somehow attach the grooming arm...definitely a rubber mat somehow glued down to it...hmmmm!!! I have one in the basement...time to get to work!!!

cae
Registered Member

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, so now I am really thinking...how about a piece of pre cut/formed counter top (formica) from home depot, attached to a set of grooming table legs?? With a piece of rubber glued to it. Pre cut/formed formica at home depot is like $20...the formica will stand up to the water...the rubber mat will keep the dog from slipping...you can make them in various sizes...if you have a smaller dog a big table can be overwhelming...of if you have a Newfie...LOL...you get the picture. Hmmmmm....now I am REALLY thinking!!

niki_rickett
Registered Member
Username: niki_rickett

Post Number: 413
Posted From: 66.153.12.210
Posted on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a thought for a "multi-purpose" large and small dog grooming table....How about a dropleaf kitchen table? Saw the legs off to desired height and when you have a large dog, open the leaves, for small dogs keep them down. Not too heavy, and can usually be found at garage sales and auctions very cheap.
NIKI

grmrsan
Registered Member
Username: grmrsan

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 216.6.226.67
Posted on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 9:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The formica sounds like a great idea, I used to work in a shop where the counter around the tub was formica and thats where we did all our drying, it worked out really well there.

paws01
Registered Member
Username: paws01

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 172.192.231.196
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cae thats what i have for my big dog table. and it works great. my other groomer complains that it's to low but im 5/2. and i love it. i put a plastic non slip strips all over it. then screwed it to my wall with some heavy duty screws. im opening a self serv dog wash soon and thats the kind of tables i will have in the shop. i think thats the best idea for a table. shana

paws01
Registered Member
Username: paws01

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 172.192.231.196
Posted on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

today i went to staples and bought a table it's plastic. it kind of looks like a huge ironing bord. but i thought it would be great for a emergency table. it was 19.99 you can never have tomany tables.

cheryl
Registered Member
Username: cheryl

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 24.151.49.2
Posted on Wednesday, June 4, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw lighted grooming tables are Intergroom and thought, Why isn't there mirror topped grooming tables ? Wouldn't that be nice ? You would be able to see so well underneath the dog !

cae
Registered Member

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, June 4, 2003 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be great...but I would worry about the dog slipping or the glass breaking. I am not sure it could be a glass mirror and the *stainless steel* mirrors, I think could be problematic in not giving a true picture of what's going on down there...invent unbreakable mirror and groomers all over the world will turn you into a Goddess!!

pj (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 69.10.201.235
Posted on Sunday, November 9, 2003 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another great idea is get a kithen rolling cart with stainless steel top Idont know if cart is the right word, ya know those little portable work tables that you'd use in the middle of the kithen if ya didn't have an island, usually they are butcher block. Bimart I think carries them. A friend has them for her diy dog wash. they are really great and cheap and sturdy.

kelli
Registered Member
Username: kelli

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 216.170.37.125
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone have pictures? I want to see homemade tables!

bluebonbon
Registered Member
Username: bluebonbon

Post Number: 711
Posted From: 198.81.26.105
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Used barber chairs that go up and down and rotate! Take the chair part off and then add a round piece of plywood (easy to find at lumber yard) and rubber mat attached. Make sure it is not slippery. At one vet office we used indoor/outdoor carpet on top of cabinet counter and it was ok. Harder to clean then I would want now, but workable. First job I worked at after grooming school she had regular kitchen tables with rubber bathmats on top.

schnauzershop
Registered Member
Username: schnauzershop

Post Number: 83
Posted From: ip70-185-66-254.ma.dl.cox.net
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this is an old post but here was my solution to my grooming table delima. I built mine out of 5/8" MDF (home depot, lowes). It is "L"-shaped and has everything I need... clipper-vac, HV dryer and pegboard with all my things. Also the overhead bar. I have a new plan in my head, will make it one day. This current design I put together with hanger bolts so that it can be taken apart into 4 individual pieces, then bolted back together. The floor part of the table has peel-n-stick tiles (they matched my floor at the time), then I put a bathmat on that for non skid.... it's washable. There is a 2x4 brace under the table part so it can handle heavy dogs. The bar is made out of some tubing I got in the closet making department. My next station will be solid, about 6 foot high (instead of 4 ft) and will have a light in the top and a mirrored back (mirrored lexan, non breakable) Here's the pic of my present one... My bather also has a station but wanted to use her hydraulic table instead of the one that is fixed in, so I built the same thing, just with no stationary table. This design and also helps a TON with distraction and falling off other side of the table. Plus you can scoot right up to the edge while grooming which makes me NOT have backaches anymore like I would get with my other hydraulic which I couldn't scoot up to so I could sit with my back to the back of the chair. I LOVE this design.

dawg
Registered Member
Username: dawg

Post Number: 1311
Posted From: mailserver.hydro.mb.ca
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh my goodness, i'm in heaven!! i'm copying this picture to work off of once i get to build my own station, if you don't mind. this is just so awesome!! organised geeks everywhere, feel the peace and tranquility, lol! i know i am!

great job!

magnolia
Registered Member
Username: magnolia

Post Number: 1268
Posted From: cpe-24-175-108-207.houston.res.rr.com
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

they do make unbreakable 2 way mirrors for like police stations etc, and there is such a thing as bullet proof glass, it would just need the material on the back sprayed on it to make it a mirror. I think it would be a mess to keep clean.

Schnauzershop that set up is AWESOME!!! I wish I was as organized that! :-)

thepurplepoodle
Registered Member
Username: thepurplepoodle

Post Number: 19
Posted From: adsl-1-47-134.bix.bellsouth.net
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

schnauzershop, how deep is your table? One of the biggest problems I have are the little dogs going all the way to the other side of the table and I spend most my time pulling them back. I figure if I can do one of these setups with the table narrow enough it would work for the small dogs. I can always use my other table for the big dogs.
Deanne

loves
Registered Member
Username: loves

Post Number: 1715
Posted From: 68-20-186-94.ded.ameritech.net
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

schnauzershop, that is pretty neat!

schnauzershop
Registered Member
Username: schnauzershop

Post Number: 84
Posted From: ip70-185-66-254.ma.dl.cox.net
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks :-), I love it. The only thing that is different now is that there is an eye bolt in the back that I clip a halty collar to (to keep their heads towards the back)... kind of like a Groomer's Helper. I very seldom need a muzzle now.

The top of my table is 2 foot deep by 4 foot wide. I do have some dogs that like to go to the back of the table and I have threatened to build an insert that is about a foot deep and 18" tall that will just sit there. It would make my table only a foot deep. Even a properly sized cardboard box would work. But I don't have that problem often enough anymore. Most of the dogs feel much more secure on this table than the hydraulic I used to have that was open on all sides.

vehs
Registered Member
Username: vehs

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 203-34-140-190.netspeed.com.au
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 8:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love your little work station! It is so clean and organised.

I also love looking at home shops because it always reminds me that you don't need much room to start up a business

topknotsntailfeathers
Registered Member
Username: topknotsntailfeathers

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 24.196.134.244
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i really like the looks of this.... i am opening a second location and the price of another hyrda. table isnt in the budget for now.... i HATE using my old fold up...my neck, shoulders and back are aching terrible ...its sooo low down. Do you have any problems with the fact it cant be raised or lowered to accommodate the height pf the dog ?
I am wondering if you have any problems with not being able to walk all the way around the dog while you groom ?...i do that ll the time. can you effectively work on all sides of the dog ?

wizardofpaws
Registered Member
Username: wizardofpaws

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 207.69.140.20
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

topknots--why don't you look into the ones in Pet Edge?

This is for $189.99 with arm included:
PETable

And there are several others priced between $250-$500. Many are electric tables that are currently on clearance at almost 1/2 off!

Pet Edge is a sponsor here so here is the link that came up when I searched for their tables:
http://grooming.petedge.com/catalog/thumbnail.jsp?parentCategoryId=190&Ns=PRICE_FOR_SOURCE%7c0&N=2389&subCategoryId=192&categoryId=191&view=44
A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be there sitting beside you saying "Man, that was fun!"

bulldogmom
Registered Member
Username: bulldogmom

Post Number: 459
Posted From: 24.98.225.16
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The smartest thing I ever did was to get my hydraulic lift cart for @269 and turn it into a grooming table. I was sooo slow and miserable, grooming goldens on the floor. But it goes down to like 11 inches so any big dog can jump on it and goes up to my chin. I groomed 2 extra dogs today and got out at the same time as usual and I completely contribute it to my new table.

beth2
Registered Member
Username: beth2

Post Number: 389
Posted From: 64.24.176.68
Posted on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband made me one this winter...it is plywood with rubbercoating all over it to water proof and give traction for the dogs. It cleans up nice. ITs built on an old salon chair hydraulic base.

there is a thread here about it if it helps to read some more ideas.

nakedbacon
Registered Member
Username: nakedbacon

Post Number: 699
Posted From: 208.101.90.74
Posted on Friday, June 6, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

your hubby's 'got skillz'. very nice table. :-) I was going to bid on some barber chairs that went through our local auction but they went for over 200 a piece - not really a good enough price to buy and butcher it up.
"I bet the last time you were sorry was when you had to use the pay toilet and the string to your pet dime broke!!"

"If you're too tense, reduce to one-fifth."

beth2
Registered Member
Username: beth2

Post Number: 390
Posted From: 64.24.177.120
Posted on Friday, June 6, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow! we got our barber chair for $20 off "craigslist"....we put a wanted ad and this guy offered his out of style chair to us.
yah, my hubby did a great job! Thanks!
it rotates too! so I dont have to walk around it while I work...I love it! It was probably about $100 to build.

toypoodle_mom
Registered Member
Username: toypoodle_mom

Post Number: 144
Posted From: 70.126.76.54
Posted on Saturday, June 7, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My hubby got me a hydraulic table from tractor supply that goes from about 14 inches to 54 inches and put a pine top on it and then polyurethane on that. It works great. It holds up to 770 lbs. and I only do small dogs ha ha. the whole thing cost about $300. Sorry I dont know how to post pictures. I have to work on that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.