Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Dog Lice Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » General Groomers Chat » CANADIAN GROOMERS » Dog Lice « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

luvpaws
Registered Member
Username: luvpaws

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 24.69.255.245
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 1:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am curious to know if people in other shops are seeing dog lice now that daycare has taken off. We haven't seen too many infestations lately(western Canada), but about a year ago we had a whole wack of dogs coming from one daycare in particular that were heavily infested. I even diagnosed a PWD in about 2 seconds after the owners had spent something like $800 in various skin/allergy tests at their vet. The vets are missing it alot. Easily treatable of course, 3 doses advantage, 3 weeks apart, but what a pain, we have to keep the dog completely isolated and do a major clean afterwards. Anyone else seeing this? Until daycares took off a few years ago, I think I saw 2 cases in 10 years!

fleadip
Registered Member
Username: fleadip

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 24.242.245.215
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 3:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you talking about doggie daycares? Or are they getting them from kids at people daycare? I have never seen it at our doggie daycare.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 1649
Posted From: 142.154.31.133
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 6:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Advantage kills lice? Never heard of that. Dog lice is very easy to distinguish. ICK though.

groomerjc
Registered Member
Username: groomerjc

Post Number: 193
Posted From: 65.49.139.143
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not think advantage will not kill lice but revolution will.

particentral
Username: particentral

Post Number: 2283
Posted From: 152.163.253.101
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 1:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And frontline spray will as well. They are actually VERY easy to kill. But I have never heard of Advantage killing them.

luvpaws
Registered Member
Username: luvpaws

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 24.69.255.245
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Advantage is not licenced to kill dog lice, but boy, yes does it ever work! When a woman took home her beige shaved afghan that was literally blue-grey in huge areas from the lice, she said it looked like someone had dumped dirt around the dog as he slept. the lice dropped off by the hundreds that night. Revolution is also very good, and I did not know about frontline.
Fleadip - these are dog lice coming from dog daycare(well, from an infested dog going to daycare) and are NOT people lice. Lice are species specific, and dog lice cannot thrive on people, and vice versa. They are most easily seen on the nose of the dog, or the throat area.

DWalsh (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 216.232.204.137
Posted on Wednesday, September 8, 2004 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a grooming shop in Burnaby and this year (for the first time) I have seen SEVERAL cases of lice, a couple of dogs were so infested they made my skin crawl, eye area so thick with lice it was grey and fuzzy like velvet. Advantage DOES work and needs to be applied every 3 weeks but Revolution is specifically for lice. I have seen some really horrid skin problems due to lice - welts, blisters, hotspots, rashes. Only about half of the dogs I have seen with lice are in contact with other dogs, the worst case I had seen the dog never left it's yard except to see me or the vet which makes me wonder if maybe racoons, skunks, rabbits, coyotes or squirrels carry the same type of lice.

gadget
Registered Member
Username: gadget

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 149.99.76.158
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, now you guys have given me something else to worry about. Dog Lice ???? What do they look like or how do you diagnose a dog with them? I get the "heebies" with flea infested dogs and one dog that had maggots around the anal area. Now something else! Anyway, please advise what to look for. Boy, it's stuff like this that makes me wonder why we do what we do!!! I wish the owners had to feel what it's like for these poor creatures that suffer with these problems.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 1701
Posted From: 142.154.31.134
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The dog I groomed was coated with lice. The vet said it was the worst case he had ever seen. This was when I first started out and they brought in a very old, crippled Samoyed. They carried him in by his hair! and as soon as they left I called the vet and asked him to look at this dog. You could take the lice off with handfuls. It turned out to be cattle lice! Very strange. It was like tons and tons of sand. The dog was totally miserable. They ended up having him put to sleep. The lady who owned him was an Avon lady. First and (so far) last time I have taken a dog straight to the vet. For the most part I think it is very uncommon. You really have to clean your shop very carefully if you get one of those in there. Horrible.

fancypants
Registered Member
Username: fancypants

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 70.70.184.76
Posted on Saturday, October 9, 2004 - 8:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just dealt with my first case of dog lice. Didn't really know what it was at first, but we had it confirmed by a vet. The dog was a rescue that had just been sent to Vancouver from the Queen Charlottes. Beautiful white huskyX but you could see every louse and egg on this poor girl. For your general information...

Lice are usually 2-4 mm long, and they have claws that allow them to cling to the hair. Some live on eating "epidermal products" while others live on blood. Dogs will usually be infested with one of either three types of lice: "Linognathus setosus" (the dog sucking louse), "Trichodectes canis" (the dog biting louse), or, occasionally, "Heterodoxus spiniger" (another biting louse). The sucking louse is slow moving, and is "often found with [it's] mouthparts embedded in the skin."

In dogs infested with lice, the coat becomes rough and dry, and if heavily infested, the hair may be matted (where they can be found hiding, when the matt is broken apart). The sucking louse causes a small wound that may become infected. Apparently, the constant discomfort of lice may cause the dog to display "nervousness".

Dogs can be treated with either dips, washes, sprays, dusts or other flea controllers (like Advantage or Revolution) But the product must contain at least one of these compounds: Permethrin, pyrethrins, rotenone, methoxychlor, lindane, diazinon, malathion, or coumaphos. It is recommended that the dog get two treatments approx. 2 wks apart from each other.

fancypants
Registered Member
Username: fancypants

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 70.70.184.76
Posted on Saturday, October 9, 2004 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S. Here is a picture... lice
P.P.S. Dog lice is not transferable to humans!

stephanie
Registered Member
Username: stephanie

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 64.231.140.92
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

EW, EW, EW, EW, EW!

TobynMaggie (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 142.194.184.87
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frontline claims to aid in Lice as well. Not sure if it is because of Daycares. Every creature has high-cycles. Like some years you will see a lot of fleas, or earwigs. Grooming equipment can be a source of transmission as well. I don't think you can pin point how the rise in lice has come about. In my area Kennel Cough is up. I have seen three cases myself and have heard of over 20 just in the past month. All have one thing in common, they visit the same leash free park.

As for alternatives to pesticides in the control of lice, there are many. I personally don't use any pesticides or insecticides on my pets. I sure would not spread that stuff on my body or ingest it so why would I do that to an animal. You can find alternatives on the net just by searching. Not all vets believe in it and some even shun it, but I have had great success with natural remedies, and horrible distressing experiences with chemical so called cures. Ya you might get rid of the lice or fleas but at what cost??? The health of the pet 5-10 years from now. Not for me.
But that is my personal opinion and my choice. I won't let anyone apply or force my pets to take something I would not put in my own body. If the groomer that cares for my dogs finds any pest on my dogs she had better call me first before using any of that stuff. She knows I have made that clear.
Theres a question for you all, do you call the owner before applying any of these things or do you just administer it then tell them when they pick up the pet?
Diana
Toronto, Ontario

keziah
Registered Member
Username: keziah

Post Number: 3
Posted From: dyn216-8-169-145.adsl.mnsi.net
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 1:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read this post, now I'm itchy. I have never seen a case of dog lice. Is it rare?

the_mutineer
Registered Member
Username: the_mutineer

Post Number: 1143
Posted From: 24-205-195-106.cs-cres.charterpipeline.net
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

keziah, lice is fairly rare in most areas. I typically see less than a half dozen cases a year. Although, lice don't move around on the dog, so they may be difficult to recognize if you did see them, especially if there are only a few, initially.

I generally find them only after I have started to dry the dog with an HV dryer...it parts the hair well, ya know? Then, of course it's rebathing in a flea shampoo. Lice are soft-bodied and easier to kill than fleas.

scmed
Registered Member
Username: scmed

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 67.66.111.15
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All. I am a new user but wanted to pass along my concern. My new pup has lice, Trichdectes canis, the chewing type. There are several types so it was actually better news to discover this. What I thought was just puppy dandruff when we took him home ended up being these ferocious looking critters. Extreme geeks have microscopes. Maybe a contributing factor is the extreme weather we've had in Kansas this year... April 14 snow, heavy flooding, and now 100 degrees and humid. We're treating him and have made his vet appointments...and notified the kennel owner. Our pup has been a bit unhappy and distracted with all the scratching and a little hair loss but is feeling much better just with the last 24 hrs.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 4368
Posted From: 68.90.163.102
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took in a foster early in the spring. She was LOADED with lice. I've never seen anything like it. I used Frontline on her to kill the lice. It takes 48 hours. She was in isolation at the clinic where I work during that time. Then I put Frontline on my guys, and brought her home.

She still had nits. There were thousands and no way I could pick them all off. The Frontline took care of those too as none of my own animals ever got anything.

Barb

scmed
Registered Member
Username: scmed

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.149.215.219
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Follow-up. I had to do something my pup was miserable, only 6 weeks. I put a few drops of Hartz 4 in 1 on him and rubbed it in. Every critter was dead within 24 hours and he is on the mend.

pat
Registered Member
Username: pat

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dog Lice Treatment
If your dog was unfortunate enough to contract lice, there are a few treatment options available. Depending on the severity of the infestation, it may be wise to consult with your veterinarian on the best course of action. Whatever you decide to do, it is important you are very thorough to lessen the chances of a second infestation.

For pregnant Dams, and puppies over six weeks old, it is vital you consult your veterinarian before you take any course of action.

Pyrethrin-based Shampoos
There are several pyrethrin-based shampoos available on the market that will remove all the lice from your dog if used as directed. Most veterinarians recommend bathing your dog with your shampoo of choice every seven days, until all of the lice have died. It is recommended you lather your dog with the shampoo and let it sit for ten minutes before rinsing them off. This ensures maximum efficiency.

Lotions, Sprays, and Gels
If for some reason you decide against using a shampoo to remove your dog's lice, you have other options available to you. Veterinary medicine companies such as Frontline, Advantage, Advantiks, or Revolution all have different products that are suitable for ridding your dog of an infestation. These treatments include gel-based medication you place between your dog's shoulder blades, as well as lotion you apply directly on their skin. For some owners, these solutions are more convenient for them, and they tend to do just as good of a job.

For pregnant mothers and newborn puppies, veterinarians tend to recommend Revolution, as the product is more gentle on the infected dog.

Professional Groomers
For those pet owners that are not able to treat their dogs, or would rather pay someone else to do it, some professional groomers will treat the problem for you. Professional groomers are also a wise choice if you are not confident in your ability to kill all of your dogs lice.

After Treatment
Immediately after you are done treating your dog, it is important that you clean your entire house. Give special attention to your dog's bed, toys, and grooming supplies. It is recommended that you wash your dog's bedding twice, and dry it on high heat to ensure all lice are killed. Check back over your dog periodically after treatment, to make sure that the lice are truly gone. Pay special attention to your dogs fur, because eggs can be difficult to spot.

brian1234
Registered Member
Username: brian1234

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 - 5:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have to clean the dog house and the other material that is attached to the dog.Use some disinfectant so that it will clean these tiny insects.Also use some shampoo that can kill all the dog lice can be used for the dogs directly to clean all of it.
[url="http://www.karmak9.com/"] Dog Training Manual[/url]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com