Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap for fleas? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » General Groomers Chat » MISCELLANEOUS » Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap for fleas? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

doggie_in_the_window
Username: doggie_in_the_window

Post Number: 3265
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A client brought me a bar of this and said she heard it was good for fleas. I've found some articles online that agree with her. Has anyone ever used it?
"I am fairly certain that given a cape, a nice tiara, and my dog at my side, I could save the world."

kitty
Username: kitty

Post Number: 4097
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 4:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Basically just plain old suds will kill fleas if left on long enough...they just suffocate. Fells-Naptha "might" do a better job, but I'd hate to see what it will do to coat condition and your hands. I'm pretty sure this kind of laundry soap is where the wise old addage of not bathing your dog more than once a year got started!
If you can't be grateful for what you have, at least be grateful for what you've escaped!

papsnpaints
Registered Member
Username: papsnpaints

Post Number: 3341
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 6:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting timing.
Isn't Fells-Naptha an old fashioned lye soap?
On my Goat_Milk_Soap group has been dicussing insect repellants for soap and sprays. One gal makes a goat milk soap bar with Citronella, Tea Tree oil, Lavendar and Lemongrass Essential Oils. I asked her for her recipe and she sent it to me. It's a basic home made soap recipe I've used and since tweaked. She adds finely ground oatmeal for dryskin and coffee grounds for deordorizing then the essential oils. She sells the heck out of it at farmers markets.
I've not used GMS on the dogs. I might let my dogs be the guinea pigs. I don't know that I'd want to add the oatmeal and Coffee grounds but I might do it her way first and tweak it. I'll keep ya'll informed on the experiment.
I do know the coffee ground are deordorizing. I've seen the recipe for "buck off" soap just for that purpose. Bucks (Billies) have a strong odor during breeding season that is hard to wash off. The texture also helps clean kinda like "GoJo" hand cleaner. Sorry I stray for the topic when it comes to soap.
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change. The courage to change the one I can and the wisdom to know it's me.

bbird
Registered Member
Username: bbird

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A coupla things: Fels Naptha is very harsh, good for laundry staining, but it carries the warning on the label that it is a skin irritant. It contains a solvent. I would not use it on pets.

The thing about using lye soaps on hair is that the pH of lye soaps is usually rather alkaline, often in the 9.0 range. An alkaline soap will leave the hair cuticle open and rough, allowing moisture to be lost from the inner cortex of the hair and possibly contributing to matting. IOW, YUCK! Also, soaps are notorious for interacting with minerals in the water to form precipitates or soap scum, which sticks to hair like glue. Soaps are okay for skin, but not so much for hair.

It is most likely the solvent in Fels Naptha that kills fleas. But there are many other substances that also do that. Sulfate detergents, especially the lauryl sulfates, will soften the exoskeletan of fleas and ticks, causing death. It is not so much the suds that kill, as it is the detergent surfactants. Almost any serious degreasing shampoo is also a good pesticide.

I don't mean to be mean or awful. Forgive me. Technical knowledge is a curse and a blessing,
BBird writes for groomers - http://Groomblog.blogspot.com

darkangel_737
Registered Member
Username: darkangel_737

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 8:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the technical knowledge means we are a lot more skeptical about stuff, so we don't enjoy the feeling of being dazzled by bull$h1t. On the other hand, when I quote bbird on stuff to clients, they think I am so goshdarned smart.

doggie_in_the_window
Username: doggie_in_the_window

Post Number: 3267
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Bbird, I've printed what you said and will give it to the client next time she comes in and asks if I've used the bar of FN she gave me:-)
"I am fairly certain that given a cape, a nice tiara, and my dog at my side, I could save the world."

catsmom
Registered Member
Username: catsmom

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 9:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as products and chemicals go, I am probably about the most distrustful and cynical thing on 2 feet. For someone like me, Barbara, you are a Godsend. You have, pretty much single-handedly raised the awareness of the industry on chemicals and the products we use. Knowledge is never a curse and we all appreciate that you share all you know without prejudice.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com