Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Ontario Dog Grooming Schools? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » General Groomers Chat » CANADIAN GROOMERS » Ontario Dog Grooming Schools? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tiffer
Registered Member
Username: tiffer

Post Number: 1
Posted From: hse-kitchener-ppp3508567.sympatico.ca
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 3:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,
I've decided that I really want to become a dog groomer and now I'm searching for a dog grooming school in Ontario.
I've found a few on the internet, but they are all quite a ways from me, and although I would be willing to travel that far I was wondering if there are any that I haven't seen yet.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Tiffany and Angel

tiffer
Registered Member

Post Number: 2
Posted From: hse-kitchener-ppp3508567.sympatico.ca
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 3:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd just like to add, if anyone needs help at their grooming salon (like an apprentice) and is in the Haldimand Norfolk area, please contact me.
I know it's a long shot but I thought I would throw this out there as well. It never hurts to ask.
Tiffany and Angel

wannapoo
Registered Member
Username: wannapoo

Post Number: 179
Posted From: cache-mtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably haven't checked out Nancy Brysons School since she doesn't have a web site! She is a good groomer and it would be worth checking out. Where ever you go, just make sure you check it out very well. Call local groomers and ask if they would hire you if you went to the school.
Feel free to email me rebeccamisener@aol.com

tiffer
Registered Member

Post Number: 3
Posted From: hse-kitchener-ppp3508540.sympatico.ca
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 3:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for getting back to me.
Where abouts is she located?
I will be sure to check the school out!!
Tiffany and Angel

Reba (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: toronto-hse-ppp4074875.sympatico.ca
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 8:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nancy's School is located in Caledon East.
You can contact her at Dogs by Bryson 905-584-9908.

Best of Luck!
I'm sure she'll be able to help you with more information. She's not only a good groomer & teacher, she's also a great person.

tiffer
Registered Member

Post Number: 4
Posted From: toronto-hse-ppp3915605.sympatico.ca
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the information, but Caledon is much too far away from me.... :0(
I really don't want to move until after I've finished school, because right now I have someone to puppysit my dog while I'm not at home.

Do you happen to know if she has brochures or information packets, or an e-mail address? I'm unable to call long distance from my phone.
Thanks.
Tiffany

Reba (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: toronto-hse-ppp4075160.sympatico.ca
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I figured that Caledon was out of your range.

Hmm, if you could email me directly at skyesbridge@hotmail.com maybe we can work something out, or at least get some more info for you.

ilovexzar
Registered Member
Username: ilovexzar

Post Number: 15
Posted From: cpe0007951974a7-cm001095583675.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Posted on Wednesday, August 3, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I graduated from (Thornhill/Toronto location). I was going to school in Windsor, then I decided to leave Windsor and move back home to Toronto to go to dog grooming school. It was the best move I ever made. I love Marnie – she’s a wonderful teacher. I learned a lot about show grooming through her…but now that I have my own business downtown Toronto – I’ve learned a lot more through trial and error.
I say – if you can afford the two months of schooling full-time and the $6000+ tuition – then go for it. Hopefully you will get as much out of it as I did.

I know people who graduated from Pampered Paws that are excellent groomers - Her program is 4 months in length and costs around $10,000.

maddog
Registered Member
Username: maddog

Post Number: 109
Posted From: hse-mtl-ppp12489.qc.sympatico.ca
Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2005 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stef123
Registered Member
Username: stef123

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.158.185.153
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just graduated from Nancy Bryson's school in Feb. It was an intense course, I learned soooo much and Nancy is really great. She'll give you the knowledge and skills you need to be a good groomer. I have only been grooming for 3 weeks and my grooming is already better then most of the other grooming salons in my area. Because Nancy is such a great teacher, I was hired as soon as I was out of school. By the way, there are places to stay while you are up there. Look up Jean Newell. There really awesome people. Good Luck and check out Nancy's....you wont be dissapointed.

yingcc
Registered Member
Username: yingcc

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 142.221.110.4
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,ilovexzar
the school you mentioned is Pests Beautiful,right? I'm looking for a good grooming school now. It's not far from where I living. Just need feedback from groomers like you, which is better Pets Beautiful or Pampered Paws(12 weeks,$8000; kits,$1850.expensive!) Pampered Paws much further, but if it's really good and get skill trained. I'd like to try.

so, tiffer , what's your story? it past almost one year, any good experience to share?

(Message edited by yingcc on June 22, 2006)

redrogan
Registered Member
Username: redrogan

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 7:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here and trying to learn what I can about grooming schools in Ontario Canada ... I'm the kind of person that believes in doing it right or not doing it at all, so although there are a lot of groomers in my area that work without any training, I really want to have some formal training to back me up... anyway, I am about 2 hrs from Toronto. My hope was to do something on the weekends so that I could continue my current job ... I realize that might not be possible.. anyway, just looking for feedback from all of you!!

mattypdog
Registered Member
Username: mattypdog

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right now in ontario, the government has shut down many dog grooming schools because they are not meeting there private school standards. Here is a website so you can see it;
www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/general/notices.html
There are 2 listed on there website that they recognize as a dog grooming school. Personally, i cannot reccomend either one. Another option for you would be seek out a veteran groomer in your area and ask to apprentice/volunteer your help in turn she could show you the ropes. They may or may not be interested as from my experience, volunteers don't take this seriously and show up when they want to.

redrogan
Registered Member
Username: redrogan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 6:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow, so what exactly does this mean? are there any schools left that are still worth looking into? I've contacted NUMEROUS groomers in my area and they're basically all saying that until I have some formal training, they wouldn't be interested in training me. THey've basically all said, call me back once you've been to school. I would also prefer to have the training first and then apprentice somewhere, I just have no idea where to go...

nakedbacon
Registered Member
Username: nakedbacon

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

red - check out Northern College of Applied Arts in Haileybury, Ontario- my friend teaches a grooming course there. You can google for more information.

it is a 2 semester course. we're about 7 hours north of toronto.
"You think it's easy making priorities??" - Stephane Dion

"Do you suffer from short term memory loss?"
I don't remember....

gone2dogs
Registered Member
Username: gone2dogs

Post Number: 4018
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

keep looking! If you want it bad enough you will acheive it:-)

Don't blame the groomers for not wanting to train you but keep in mind which ones told you to call back...once you do get training you will want to start working under a GREAT groomer.
There is a method to my madness...

yingcc
Registered Member
Username: yingcc

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, June 4, 2010 - 1:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thx matty for providing the link
I enrolled the program at Pamperred Paws soon after I posted here-and didn't get any reply. But I stopped in the middle, because I was pregnant.
it's really surprise to know the school against law, PCC asked they stop and provide refunds to students. you guys think it's possible to get refunds from them?

mattypdog
Registered Member
Username: mattypdog

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is, as long as you can provide the necessary information to the PCC that proves you were there. However, what type of relationship do you want to have with pampered paws, if you request your money back you may be burning some bridges with them, but if it doesn't matter to you, then go for it. With what you learned are able to go out and get a grooming job? Probably not,therefore you would still have to fork over the tuition again to some other school just to teach you what you know and what you don't know.

ruffcuts
Registered Member
Username: ruffcuts

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was anyone successful obtaining a refund from a closed grooming school? I see the school I attended is on 'the list' and they are ordered to issue refunds to students. I wonder if there are any time limits on when this had to be requested (I went many years ago).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2011 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.
Increase your website traffic with Attracta.com