Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

7F , 7FC and 7 whats the difference? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » General Groomers Chat » THE NEWBIES CORNER - BEGINNERS/TRAINEES » 7F , 7FC and 7 whats the difference? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

hardworker
Registered Member
Username: hardworker

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 71.241.230.245
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

?

deliriumtree
Registered Member
Username: deliriumtree

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 24.163.68.154
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

7F= 7 finish cut

7FC=another way of writing the same thing (fc=finish cut)

7=most likely a skip tooth blade (so it has gaps/big spaces between each tooth) although I often call my 7F's, 7's. Catalogs may call a 7 skip tooth just a 7 or they may denote it as a skip tooth.

I don't use the skip teeth ones myself, but I've read uses for them on the board (like westies). If you're looking to stock a tool box 7F's are the blades you'll want to start with. Worry about the skip tooth ones later when you're used to handling clippers.

horray! I'm moving up in the world! I knew the answer to this

hardworker
Registered Member
Username: hardworker

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 71.241.230.245
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool Thank You! haha yes you're moving on up

dogdayz
Registered Member
Username: dogdayz

Post Number: 403
Posted From: 69.29.152.176
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a bad experience with a 7f when i was first learning to groom(cut open a flank) it scared me so much I have never bought a 7 blade and have always used a 8 1/2 in place...i know you can cut a flank with pretty much any blade but i guess since i did it with a 7 i am forever scarred,LOL...

houndlady
Registered Member
Username: houndlady

Post Number: 715
Posted From: 68.41.246.248
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But I think most of the time when we just talk about blades sizes here, we get sloppy and say #x (7) but mean #xF (7F), but always mention when we mean a skip tooth.

a2zpets
Registered Member
Username: a2zpets

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 67.85.28.160
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must say I just love the skip blades. The #7 goes right through 99% of the worst matts. BUT, don't use them on the legs - too many contours. I am very careful with them.

deliriumtree
Registered Member

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol dogdayz. I nicked a dog really bad with a 8 1/2 so that's my worry blade. I do use in on some dogs (cause the groomer I replaced used it and the owner wants them done the same) but I often interchange it with a 10 cause it makes me nervous.

puddincat
Registered Member
Username: puddincat

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.39.41.211
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so.. if I'm looking for blades on Ebay- and I'm looking for a 7F ..a 7 FC is the same thing???

deliriumtree
Registered Member

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes!

I love when I have the answers to questions lol.

catclaws
Registered Member
Username: catclaws

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 70.40.9.129
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are looking to strip down a big thick haired dog you can use a 7 skip tooth first (crefully) to get the mats and undercoat then use the 7f to finish. Works well for me!

annie_in_ny
Registered Member
Username: annie_in_ny

Post Number: 1294
Posted From: 72.84.30.189
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Puddin, you are new, don't bother with the skip tooth ones yet !! You might really even want to get the Wahl snap on combs, that will save you money on buying all the blades you need

candycane
Registered Member
Username: candycane

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 24.109.199.171
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 6:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I learned with finishing blades and skip tooths, so I'm very comfortable using both. I like skips for a lot of things, especially for getting through thick or matted coats.

catsmom
Registered Member
Username: catsmom

Post Number: 1422
Posted From: 205.188.116.131
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if this happens to anyone else, but have you ever had a Shih Tzu or similar dog come out with ridges in the coat when using a 5 or a 7F with a clip vac system? I know it's just the natural waves and cowlicks in the coat but it's annoying! I find that if I use a skip tooth on those coats instead of an F, I get far less wvaes and ridges.

candycane
Registered Member
Username: candycane

Post Number: 174
Posted From: 24.109.199.171
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got my vac in January, and so far I've been afraid to use skip tooth blades with it because I thought they would leave more lines! Now I'm going to have to try that. I've had a lot more luck getting a nice finish on the longer clips with combs than the short clipped dogs. I have found that a 4F with the vac is pretty tricky to do without leaving gouges. 5F seems to work better for me.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.