Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

How to Make Dog Bows Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) » How to Make Dog Bows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rose (216.96.62.179)
Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to know how to make "dog bows" with rubber bands. I work at an animal shelter and if we have time, we try and clean them up so they would be more adoptable. I'm not professional by far but a good brushing, bath and a bow does wonders! I bought a couple rolls of grooming ribbon, but haven't figured it out as of yet. Thanks for any help. Rose

Mitzi (192.34.35.23)
Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, here goes. This is how I make bows. What I do to start: Place a small rubberband on a hemastat and set aside. Take three fingers, and hold them together like a scout salute. Now holding your hand palm up, lay two colors of ribbon across your fingers starting at your ring finger, and wrap two times, ending at the edge of your index finger. Clip the ribbon on the diagonal.Slip loops off your fingers, being careful not to let them get loose. Hold them together in the middle, and fold in half carefully, taking care not to crush the ends of the loops. Take a small notch at both corners of the fold, about a third of the way in. This is to help the loops fluff out nice. Open up the fold just enough to lay the notched part across the hemostats, above the band. Take the band, twist it, and loop it over the tip of the hemostat. Flip it and pull the bottom of the band over the top of the hemostat. Take your fingers, and pull the inner loops out from the center, giving them a little twist to help them stay out. This is what the notches are for. Alternate sides and colors. Now you should have a really nice looking bow. It will take some practice, as it requires dexterity working with those little things, but they are fun to do. I have sometimes taken little bits of metallic rickarack or plastic beads and lay them on the ribbon before pulling the band over. Puts it right in the center and is so cute! Make those the length of your three fingers, not looped.

I have the regular ribbon that you see in the catalogs, and I have the thin kind that I got from the craft store that I use for the yorkie bows. For the yorkie bows I just use two fingers, and don't do the notch. Everything else is the same.

Yorkees (64.24.220.164)
Posted on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can do a 'keyword' search (look on the left column of this page), for starters, here are two posts on this subject....look under these titles.

Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques: FINISHING TOUCHES & COLORING: Dog Bows

Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques: FINISHING TOUCHES & COLORING: Disappearance of Hand-tying bows

Rose (216.96.71.120)
Posted on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to thank you for all your help on making "dog bows" for shelter animals. I really appreciated ALL your help. Rose

sophie's mom (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cache-rtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a really simple way. ALl I do is tie the ribbon to make a bow shape and then put a rubber band around the middle to secure the bow shape. When you are ready to put it in the dog's hair, just add another rubber band and wrap around the bow and the dog's pony tail.

carlosaz84
Registered Member
Username: carlosaz84

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 24.248.185.82
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello my name is carlos I have three shih tzu's one with puppys on the way and one 4 month old yorkie I am very intrested in how to make bows that are unique and diffrent and if it is possible with no ruberband can any one help me?

magnolia
Registered Member
Username: magnolia

Post Number: 1578
Posted From: 24.175.103.224
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sat through a bowmaking seminar once where someone taught how to do bows with out the use of rubberbands, I wish I could remember how it's done! I know that they don't stay as well as using ones with rubberbands though. Perhaps you could visit a local groomer and ask if they could show you how to make bows? They're really quite easy to make once you get the hang of it and you can go to an orthodontist or Sally's or any feed store to get the small rubberbands. I've even seen them for sale on ebay.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 9105
Posted From: 70.249.228.14
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carlos, look in Breed Styles and Grooming Techniques/Finishing Touches. There are some bow-making topics in there, with illustrations. I think there are some in General Groomers Chat/The Frugal Groomer, also. It seems to me I've seen at least one method here that uses the ribbon itself to tie the bow. However, if you have long coated shih tzus and a yorkie you're going to need to band the coat, whether the bow has a band on it or not. You can use hair papers or even wax paper to put between the band and the hair.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.