Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Abnormal growth of dew claw Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » TRIMMING NAILS » Abnormal growth of dew claw « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

highdezgirl
Posted on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My dog has a dew claw that has grown around in a circle and then growing into the other side of where the nail comes out. It appears to have grown about 1/8 of an inch or maybe less into the pad. Are there any suggestions on what to do! is this a matter that should be handled by a professional or could I do whatever needs done myself? She seems to be in somewhat some discomfort and it is a little inflamed.

k9hairfairy (dns1.klondyke.net - 208.245.178.112)
Posted on Friday, May 5, 2000 - 9:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the nail has grown into the pad enough to break the surface, you'll need to clip the nail, pull it out of the pad and pack the open sore with antibiotics. If the pad is already inflamed, it may also require systemic antibiotics from the vet. Nails should be clipped about once a month, or as often as it takes to keep them off the floor. Dew claws need to be checked frequently. Because they get no wear and tear, they get long alot faster.

highdezgirl
Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2000 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What kind of antibiotics are you referring to for the infected pad? And where can I get them? Thank you for answering my question so quickly. I didn't expect such a fast reply.

nkswen (usr57-dialup322.mix2.atlanta.cw.net - 166.62.190.76)
Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2000 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Highdezgirl.. you should probably just take your pooch to the vet. If her foot is tender and you don't have the right tools it could be a real problem for you. I would call your vet (or an open on Sat!) and explain the problem...

k9hairfairy (dns1.klondyke.net - 208.245.178.112)
Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2000 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with nkswen, you should just take your dog to the vet. If you are inexperienced, you could do more damage trying to do this yourself. Since the nail is curled around, you could cut the pad with the nail clipper or tear the pad if your dog pulls. OTC antibiotics may not be strong enough and it doesn't sound like you have time to waste if the pad is already red. Sorry I wasn't clear in my first response.

mindy (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 216.129.187.25
Posted on Saturday, January 1, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My St. Bernards dew claw looks like it might be infected. It is red/blackish and looks like it hurts. He doesn't seem to notice it. I was wondering if I should trim it or what to do with it. Also how often are you supposed to trim their nails. He is 5 months old.}}

loves
Registered Member
Username: loves

Post Number: 1458
Posted From: 68.20.186.94
Posted on Sunday, January 2, 2005 - 1:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nails should be trimmed at least every 4 weeks, puppies I do almost weekly for the first couple months, they grow so fast. If the nail looks infected, visit your vet. And the time to work on nails is NOW since your "baby" is going to be pretty large, and is probably good sized even now.

pauline2121
Registered Member
Posted From: 70.31.12.178
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 2 1/2 year old male black lab who started limping 3 weeks ago. . .took him to the vet-said it was a torn ligament,ignored his dew claw which was red underneath, she said he probably caught it on something, put him on anti-inflammatory pain medicine (Metcam). . .took him back to another vet for second opinion because his dew claw problem had gotten worse-a red pea size ball underneath now-this vet said there was nothing wrong he probably caught it (same answer) well, now it is much, much bigger 3cmx3cm and I don't know what to do. . .his nail (which are clipped all the time) is turning sideways from this big ball. Any suggestions?

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 2535
Posted From: 71.138.24.160
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds to me that it is either an infection or a small tumor that is growing. I would take him back to the first vet and let him look at it again and remind him that he said he just caught it but it has been growing larger at an alarming rate. That should encourage him to be more thorough with the exam and find out what the heck is going on there. If he doesn't then a third opinion is in order. Don't let it go on.

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 3572
Posted From: 156.34.198.93
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 4:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree. Go back. I had a friend with a lab who had something like this happen... Her vet kept telling her it was nothing but it was cancer. Not that this is, but it is best to get it triple checked.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.