Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Pomeranian Teddy Bear Cut Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » GROOMING SPECIFIC BREEDS » Pomeranian, Spitz, Eskimo, Schipperke » Pomeranian Teddy Bear Cut « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Heidi (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of a pom they cut in the teddy bear cut? I took my pom to the groomers today and she was telling me about it but she didn't have any pictures and I just want to make sure that I want to have him cut that way before the next time he goes back. Also, does it damage their hair any, like make it more coarse or anything after having it cut that way. Right now my pom has long hair. Please any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

3dogs
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary's Pom is in the newest edition of "Groomer to Groomer". She took 1st place & her little Pom looks like a mini "Shiba Inu". If you can't find any pictures then I guess a "Shiba" is closest to what it would look like. I have as of yet have a Pom's coat grow in nicely after taking it down but maybe other people's Pom's coat grows out nice after the uglies stage. I do a few pom's in the little "Lion Clip" which I believe only differs in that a larger "mane/ruff" is left around the neck.

pawformance (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 9:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the father of my Tarzan and Ginger, he used to be a show dog, but now is just a pet, so they just have him clipped so it's easier to keep the coat up. At least, this is how i do a teddy bear clip.
teddybearclip

Posted on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 9:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, this dog is 13 years old and sooo hyper still, you would think he is still a pup!

DramaDog (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 7:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh this is adorable.........please tell.....all scissoring?

DramaDog

3dogs
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See now I call those pictures at least what I can see I call the "lion clip" since it looks like there is a nice round mane that is left longer than the body. If any on you have the new "Groomer to Groomer" mag, look up Mary's picture- the only Pom in the competition & it looks like a little "Shiba Inu" with no ruff, everything is scissored the same length.

Dragonbrn
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lovely, pawformance! These little guys do look CUTE like that, and often appear to be more comfortable cut shorter rather than left "natural".
For my "teddy bear" Pomeranians, I try to not go shorter than a #2 snap-on comb, from the cheeks and skullcap all the way back to the tip of the tail. A #1 snap-on or a 5/8 Andis blade (LOVE it!), leaves this coat nice and plush, and it grows back in well. The "lion" pattern, I usually do with a 5F or 4F from just behind the withers/shoulderblades back to the tail. Often, but not always, depending on the owner, I'll even do the tail with a tuft on the end. Just a few suggestions.

Ferurizonly
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
The pic I posted of Charlie before is a Teddy Bear not a Lion. A lion clip is the one posted under mine, they have a mane.

The owner wanted this dog bald, but I offered the Teddy Bear cut. It is shorter than I wanted, but the owner liked it even shorter(yuch) next time I will do him longer, I have convinced the owner(long story). The above cut was scissored head (no mane) round, body was 3/3/4 blade and scissored legs.

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What you did on Charlie is pretty much the same, i use a 3 3/4 on Baby, on his body, the top of his head, ans scisor the rest. I do the back of his ears in the 3 as well. Like you, i scisor his legs. I leave the tail. I have done this clip in all lenghts. When i do a lion clip, i do it anywhere from with a 9 to a 4. 7F and 5F are my favorites. I always do my own dogs in a 9 cause they are my dogs, and they grow back fast enough. I wish i had a better picture of it, now they are all in full coats. I haven't done the tuff at the end in a while. I do prefer the tuff, but i hate it when i grow back the hair, so this year, i have done no tuffs. My Tarzan has the perfect hair and body shape for that lion clip, he really looks like a lion, with personality to match. I have shaved one in a chihuahua clip too before, in my opinion, it's hair, and it grows back.

3dogs
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is why I hate naming any clip. Every groomer has a different opinion as to what a certain hairstyle is. I esp. hate the term "puppy cut". Everything from an owner thinking it is a 1/4" long & others think 2" is a "puppy". Arghhh! So, for the original question I would ask the groomer what THEY consider what a "Lion Clip" is. If we groomers can't even come up with common hairstyle terminology then I expect novice owners are even more shocked when they get their dog back from the groomer if groomer & owner didn't discuss what was to be done.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is always the best way. I ALWAYS ask what they mean by that and point out that some groomer call this...and this....so what exactly do they mean? And i so far have never had a problem with any unsatisfied customer. My friend has had more problems that way, with misunderstanding. Sometimes, people think it's funny that i ask all the questions that i do, but i tell them, different people have different views, and yes it's a dog, but i want to created what you want, assuming that the dog is in the shape for it. Never had a complaint yet, knock on wood. Communication, as far as i'm concerned is half of the job.

3dogs
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ask many questions too & it is funny how so many people when I ask if their poodle get's poodle feet or a clen face that they have no idea what I am talking about & say "no groomer has ever asked me those questions". Wow! am I shocked. They have said that the groomer just takes their dog & then they get what is done when they pick up.

Posted on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 7:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL, ya i get that too, and they wonder why they are in our shops afterwards. My school always stressed, groomer/client comminication is half of the job. You could do something very nicely and well done, but if that is not what the client wanted, then it was worthless. It really stuck with me, i think about it all the time, and it's worked so far!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.