Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Pom-a-Poo grooming help needed....... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » MIXED-BREED GROOMING » Pom-a-Poo grooming help needed....... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lynnette Ashburn (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am the proud new owner of a 6 month old Pom-a-Poo. All he is right now is a big ole' fluff ball and is in serious need of some style. He has the poodle ears and a docked tail. Any one have any ideas on how to give him some style? Should I go with a poodle cut--I love the shaved face and feet on the poodles.

wvgdminva
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 6:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depends on the texture of his coat what kind of cut you can put on your Pom-a-Poo. Also how much time do you have to maintain the look with brushing, combing. You need to take him to a professional groomer asap. It takes time for the pup to get used to the table, dryer, clipper, etc. The sooner you get your pup acclimated to grooming the less stress will be on him. First time I do a pup, if its coat is well maintained, I usually do a bath and brush out. I also introduce him to all the noises that take place in a grooming salon. First time is called introduction groom. Want to make the first visit as plesant as possible.

jane king
Registered Member
Posted From: 74.135.52.64
Posted on Monday, July 3, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my newly adopted pomapoo is 3 years old and is pretty much a fluffball. he loves water, so isn't afraid of baths and loves to be brushed, so i think he's been groomed before. he has the curled up fluffy tail. any ideas on a good grooming look?

Jane King
Registered Member
Posted From: 74.135.52.64
Posted on Monday, July 3, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

by the way, this dog has a very straight, smooth coat, but he has curly legs. my neice says he looks like a little "Benji". Does that help?

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 2935
Posted From: 67.121.238.207
Posted on Tuesday, July 4, 2006 - 1:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you post a picture?
It also depends on what you want the dog to look like. Do his ears stick up like a pom or lay down like a poodle.
Do you want long hair on his face or does he have that? Do you want his face short like a pom?
If his ears are up and you want short face, a teddy trim for a pom is great for a dog like that.
If his ears are down and you like face hair like a benji dog, then a cute trim like a Benji dog will work too. or maybe a cross between a shih tzu teddy trim and a bichonly look.
It all depends on what the dog looks like.
A pic would help.
I have several clips that would look nice.

zoey_mom
Registered Member
Username: zoey_mom

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 216.68.184.141
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My little Zoey is an apricot pom a poo. She is 4 months old and just a little fur ball. She weighs almost 5 pounds. I Love her little face and her fluff. I am not sure what to do about all of her matted hair on her legs and backside. Is it ok to get her groomed this early? It gets very messy.

enemytosleep
Registered Member
Username: enemytosleep

Post Number: 399
Posted From: 68.198.151.26
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As long as she has had her shots she should be good to go. It is actually good to get her acclimated to the process early on so that it is less stressful for her as she gets older. If she is already matting the groomer can help you determine a trim and home care routine that best fits your lifestyle to prevent further matting.

wizardofpaws
Registered Member
Username: wizardofpaws

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 74.255.98.162
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, ALL dogs should begin a grooming regimen as soon as they are finished with their puppy shots. The earlier and more often they are groomed, the more they get used to it and do not become stressed out by the process. There is nothing worse than seeing a 2 year old dog come in for it's 1st ever groom and it is matted or packed with under coat! It is so sad for the dog to have to be put through not only the stress of a new situation, but also the stress (and sometimes pain!--yikes) of being groomed in a matted state, when it all could have been prevented by a better informed owner! For future referance, talk to your groomer and get her on a schedule that will enable you to bring her in BEFORE she gets matted at all. This will be much easier on Zoey and will make any style of hair cut that YOU want on her possible.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.