Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Shaving a pomeranian bald Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » GROOMING SPECIFIC BREEDS » Pomeranian, Spitz, Eskimo, Schipperke » Shaving a pomeranian bald « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

sheri fisher (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Wednesday, April 2, 2003 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took my dog to the groomer for a bath and they shaved her bald without my permission!! She was not badly matted.I brush her all the time. Groomers did this horrible thing to my sweet little pommie....why??? And all they said was "oh!".

pawformance (Unregistered Guest)
Posted on Thursday, April 3, 2003 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OMG! I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Have you thought of asking your groomer why? I certainly cant answer that for you. Even when a dog is in horrible shape and NEEDS to be clipped, I never do it just on my own if the owners brought the dog in just for a bath. You may just have had a misundersanding with her. Did you perhaps for a bath and a trim? I learned right away by working for 2 people at the same time that some people mean by trimming that they want a haircut of whatever lenght all over the body. Some people mean by trimming that they just want the pads done, the feet, sanitary area and the odd hairs. I therefore always make sure i ask the client what they mean by a "trim" it avoids a lot of confusions. The hair will grow back tho some poms take a long time to grow back. Maybe they were just too busy and messed up, (which is not acceptable). There are mistakes and then there are mistakes but i strongly believe that overbooking can have a way of ending up like this. I try to book as many as i can without compromising the work, but there can be such a thing as too many dogs for one person. Talk to your groomer calmly and explain to her how you feel. Dont start screaming at her, this will only make things worst. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is wait for the hair to grow back, hopefully you have the type of poms that grow real fast.

Good Luck!

diamondog
Posted on Thursday, April 3, 2003 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, This is a groomers board and you'll read a lot of shop talk here. We deal with our customers, many of them are friends, as nicely as we can. We are like any service/retail business, we're in business to give the customer what they are paying for.
The difference between our service and many others is the emotional attachment our customers have to their pets. Their appearance, comfort and saftey are important to them or they wouldn't be coming to us so it must be very important to us also. Most of us are closet artists, enjoying the process of grooming as much as seeing it as a vocation. We are also pet lovers.
We can only speculate as to why your dog was shaved and as was said, miscommunication is the most common error in grooming shops. There are several other possibilities and to be fair they should be laid out also. You stated your dog wasn't "badly matted". You must know that groomers are told this about everything from immaculate dogs with a tiny crust of dirt on thier tail (not often) to dogs wearing a one piece mat that encases their whole bodies. Most clients who are displeased and state that their dog was not badly matted may not be knowledgable about the different types of matting. With dense double coats (like your Poms) there is a condition we call packed coat where the soft undercoat forms clumps down close to the skin and can be very difficult to get loose. It can appear to be not badly matted at all. This kind of coat can't be brushed out, the brush simply goes over the guard hairs and never touches the thick, sometimes 1" thick undercoat matting. There are new methods, equipment and products that allow this kind of coat to be groomed without shaving but groomers who are not connected to the grooming industry, as many of us would be without this board, may not even be aware of them. Only a few years ago every dog in that condition was given a "therapeudic shavedown" to start over and avoid hurting the dog in the process of getting the packed coat out.
It is a good suggestion to call your groomer and discuss this with her. If she tells you the dog did have a packed coat and it would have been very difficult to groom the dog without shaving it then you might tell her about this board and the many new developments in grooming that are discussed here. Keep in mind that the costs of the equipment, products and tools to "save coat" are very high. I estimate I have spent over 5,000 dollars in only 2 years on these items and I know of many groomers who have much nicer workplaces than mine. These and other expenses, plus the cost of education, nice facilities and a growing sense of pride in the difficult job we do have affected prices in the grooming industry, and, as the old saying goes, "You gets what you pays for."
If this was a mistake, whatever the reason, you were owed at least an apology and I would have given you a refund or credit. As hard as it might be, sometimes you may chalk up mistakes to new personel, overbooking, employees out sick, and those errors are compensated by good business persons.
I would suggest you try to take a step back, understand that your dog has no other way of gauging it's condition (appearance) than your reaction to it. If you are "shocked and appalled" or very unhappy when looking at your dog, it will be very anxious and fearful. Take the "hair under the bridge" approach, it is hair and will grow back and in the meanwhile you and your dog can enjoy the unique look and feel without doing damage to your relationship.
If your groomer does not satisfy you with her explanation then you may seek another groomer and have this discussion with them before you hire them. If your brushing was not effective and your dog was indeed very matted under the outer coat, ask your groomer to show you how to "line brush" and have her suggest a good comb, rake or slicker to suit your dogs coat.
And now from a groomers standpoint, and just because I'm feeling honest, another suggestion. Don't whine. It irritates the groomer and even the dog.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOthatfeltgood.

diamondog
Posted on Thursday, April 3, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Dear Sheri, Sorry for the last little comment, didn't mean to come across as rude. Sometimes typing instead of talking comes across rude so please don't take me wrong. I meant that last paragraph partly as a joke and OOOOOOthatfeltgood was probably because my husbands dog is at the vet for pancreatitis surgery. I think I was blowing some steam off my shoulders and nerves.
I really do care that your dog was shaved when you didn't want that.
I hope you can get it resolved soon.
Donna

doggygirl
Posted on Thursday, April 3, 2003 - 8:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I shaved a Lhasa with a #4 and the client commented next time they wanted it shorter. I said ok and then we got talking and I said "ok I will take him shorter". He said "no, I said I wanted him longer". YIkes, I told him he didn't, but I was glad we cleared that up. he commented last time was super short. We groomers know a #4 isn't short. My point is there can be miscommunication easily. Especially with more than one groomer per shop. Your doggy's hair will grow back and in the mid point, it does look very cute. I can really imagine the shock. Just give her extra hugs and kisses and tell her how pretty she is.

tillie
Registered Member
Username: tillie

Post Number: 223
Posted From: 152.163.189.173
Posted on Friday, April 4, 2003 - 6:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes trying to determine what the owner wants and what is possible is hard. Playing here, Anyway yesterday had a woman say with her golden take it all off want him super short. Now to me this would be a shave down but being in this business for a number of years I've learned to ask tons of questions turns out wanted the rear trimmed and feathering.

waggindogs
Registered Member
Username: waggindogs

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 67.25.47.55
Posted on Friday, April 4, 2003 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last summer I had a new client with a small shepherd/elkhound cross. He told me, "As SHORT as you can make it. I mean I want her BALD!" So I took her down with a 7F and he was SHOCKED! Sometimes you just can't tell. Obviously that's not what happened with your pom, but just letting you know that it happens. I wonder if they got 2 poms mixed up??

groomin gal (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 216.244.19.45
Posted on Sunday, April 6, 2003 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure I'll get blasted here, but so be it.

I believe that naming a shop by name on this board isn't "kosher." There are always two sides to a story. I'm not in any way discounting your feelings, Sheri.

But, I think it would of been more productive for you to confront the shop, itself, and/or the better business bureau, then naming the shop.

travelinmac
Registered Member
Username: travelinmac

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 66.224.71.117
Posted on Sunday, April 6, 2003 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As in every profession, there are good and bad workers, bosses, doctors, lawyers, clerks, etc. So it should come as no surprise to anyone that it just as true in the world of grooming. So I'm not taking sides here as to whether it was a pet misrepresented or/not or a groomer who misintupreted or whether it was a crappy groomer.

Diamondog presents a plausible explaination as to the how/why this happened to the little pom.

However, I must side with Groomin' Gal. Slandering a grooming shop isn't kosher! Rev, or whomever is moderating this, why wasn't the name of the shop removed? This same type of thing has happened before, remember?

yorkees
Registered Member
Username: yorkees

Post Number: 1246
Posted From: 24.205.204.149
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, I had a really DUH moment, I thought Sheri meant top as in a really great groomer, skills-wise..let me see if I can find Rev or Joyce and see what they say about it.

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 5524
Posted From: 64.215.40.185
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Done, folks.. sorry, I missed that. What I get for being in a hurry.

Registered Member
Posted From: 209.178.140.2
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 1:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh....I didn't get yelled at. Thanks...

yorkees
Registered Member
Username: yorkees

Post Number: 1249
Posted From: 24.205.204.149
Posted on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL!!!!

Registered Member
Posted From: 216.244.20.241
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you snickering at me, Yorkees????

So there !!!

Wanna hook up when I return to the great state of Neveda? I just love those nickle slots!

Lovebud1975 (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 68.74.157.203
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 1:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just took my pom to the groomer and he ended up getting shaved - As a novice Pom owner - its been a hard winter trying to keep him from matting when he rolls in the snow. I guess I will learn with time - but he sure does look funny now!!!

laurie
Registered Member
Username: laurie

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 68.52.18.247
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 1:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I personally think he is SUPER Cute. The hair will grow back. I shave my Keeshond down like this every eight weeks, and you would not believe how fast it grows. It will be a slightly different texture, but that will fix itself once he sheds. Get a GREYHOUND COMB and comb him with it as much as possible. That keeps the coat from packing down. It's really hard to tell if you got all the mats out with a brush, but a comb will work wonders on his coat. He looks really cute though. Thumbs up to the groomer.

coquihalla
Registered Member
Username: coquihalla

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 64.114.107.23
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 1:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOvebud, what a cute little guy he is! Sorry about the shavedown but he sure is a sweetie. Maybe you'll decide you like it this way.

progroom
Registered Member
Username: progroom

Post Number: 2463
Posted From: 66.136.150.58
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would ask the groomer to show you the proper tools and how to brush him. They are not hard to keep up, if brushed and combed correctly. Often times owners mistakenly only brush the top layer of coat. Once you are shown, you shouldn't have any problem.

I do agree he's cute. I'm sure it was a shock though!

Barb

loves
Registered Member
Username: loves

Post Number: 1509
Posted From: 68.20.186.94
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a cute groom! Look at that head, perfect!

borzoimom
Registered Member
Username: borzoimom

Post Number: 393
Posted From: 206.230.184.103
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Love it!! He looks adorable. I have 3 clients that I do that same cut on every 4-6 weeks. The owners say it's just easier to take care of and they look so cute. If you don't like though, it will grow back soon enough.

lovebud1975 (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 68.74.157.203
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 2:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey there-

I just wanted to thank everyone for their nice comments on my Ozzy!! I have been on other dog message boards and gotten negative reactions (not standard, blah, blah)...He is my pet and I love him the same whether he is long haired or short-haired. I will definitely have my groomer show me the proper way to brush him.

Is it normal that he has become even more spunky since his haircut? He is running around the house like a chicken now!! I'm attaching one more pic (pre-haircut!!). Enjoy!

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 1517
Posted From: 69.224.71.2
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 4:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've heard from many clients that their dogs seem more energetic when they get that hair cut off. That is one reason a lot of them keep on having it cut short. Easy grooming and it seems to be fun for them. I groom one named Happy that really loves his haircut. His daddy says he gets sad when it's long. LOL!

dawg
Registered Member
Username: dawg

Post Number: 1177
Posted From: 142.16.22.18
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i love the transformation, too! it may just be from owning nearly nekkid dogs all my life (boxers), but i feel like i can't find the little person in a lot of these pooffy dogs, lol!

and i'll bet little Ozzy's feeling 4 pounds lighter and is lovin' it, lol!

good for you for seeking advice on maintaining his coat! i wish more of my clients would be open to instruction, lol!

(Message edited by dawg on January 18, 2005)

pawfurmance
Registered Member
Username: pawfurmance

Post Number: 272
Posted From: 67.68.15.215
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I shave one of my girl for that very reason..i was worried about her health..thought she was too fat maybe...and shaved her to see how fat she was...she had no energy...shaved her...and she became like a puppy again...when she gets "depresse" i shave her.....my other dogs do well either way...my show dogs dont get shaved...although they likely will when having pups....

spottydog (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 205.188.117.11
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He's adorable both ways! Shaved, he reminds me of that famous dog, is it Mr. Winkles? Something like that. I used to have a calendar with him and Ozzy reminds me of him. Many of my clients remark that their dog is so energetic after a shave, I'll bet they feel lighter and cooler. It's re-energizing for them! And your groomer did a great job.

Tiffany Hines (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cache-ntc-ad03.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just purchased a pom puppy (Gizmo), I have scheduled an appointment at the groomers. What questions do I need to ask to know if they are qualified to do a good job. My vet told me that I definately do not want him shaved at any cost because the hair will not grow back the same?

doggygirl
Registered Member
Username: doggygirl

Post Number: 2713
Posted From: stjhnbsuh71-142167185045.nb.aliant.net
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once again a vet spouting off grooming info that makes no sense. The hair grows back just fine in 99 % of the cases. Other reasons such as thyroid can prohibit healthy hair re-growth. Maybe this vet can give you a referral to someone qualified. Certainly ask around, check the person out. Go with your gut.

topdogette
Registered Member
Username: topdogette

Post Number: 81
Posted From: cache-mtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I personally have had 3 Poms in my shop that once shaved the hair DID NOT grow back right. Very Skimpy in spots and perfectly fine in other areas. One of them I shaved with a 7F in a Lion clip the other 2 were done by other shops so I don't know the blade they used. What cause this I don't know, BUT I will NOT shave a Pom unless there is absolutely no other way to handle the coat condition and I warn the owners that the coat may not return as it should..

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 2714
Posted From: stjhnbsuh71-142167185045.nb.aliant.net
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One time I was off work and I had my Sammie mix groomed elsewhere. She shaved her with a #7 and the hair started to grow back patchy but over time it did all come back. I don't know why it grew back like that when she groomed it. Shaving a pom isn't something I normally do either unless it is beyond brushing out. But I did have a client (dog died) that got her pom shaved regularly so whether it grew back right or not, I don't know and it didn't really matter. I don't think it applies only to Poms either.

AW (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: adsl-68-250-111-200.dsl.toldoh.ameritech.net
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sometimes groomers and or owners do not explain/understand right. For example I had a lady with a dog that looked like a large pom come in she kept telling me to get out undercoat and trim, I think trim as in feet butt etc so I asked her to make it clear do you want length all over or just feet etc. She said at least 3 times we went over this she wants length taken off so I say how about this much off (about 1 inch max) she says no more than that so I used a comb attachment and it wasnt going through very well so I worked on the dog for like 2 hours and it ended up all choppy and horrible looking.

It really wasnt that short but when the lady came she said it was bald and choppy (which I agree on the choppy but without going any shorter and using a blade it wouldn't come out smooth) So after she told me how horrible it looked and how no groomer can get it right and that it lost its color I said well when you take off length like that it does loose then color. She said well that never happened before and blah blah blah and finally I realized all she wanted was a bath and to get out all the undercoat. So baically I wasted about a hour and a half of my time and made the dog look horrible for absolutly nothing.

I am very good with understanding what people want and have never had a person complain but this lady really just didnt know what she wanted. Im not saying that you didn't communicate well to your groomer but that is a possibility that you said one thing and she thought it meant something diff. I ask alot of questions and whenever going short I go over it a few times if its a new person just to make sure they understand how short the dog will be.

I would call and just ask why they did that, I would never shave a dog without asking expecially if its in only for a bath/brush. Maybe there was a miscommunication between people working there if there is more than one person or she read the card wrong etc.

walljoy (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: adsl-69-0-15-246.adsl.snet.net
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am extremely upset right now and will not sleep most of this night. I happily shaved my 2 year old Pomeranian a few hours ago, finally, thinking that it would help relieve her suffering from the heat and humidity. I was doing pretty good with the shaving and then for some stupid reason decided to shave really close on her back. She only got one nick, which I discovered after her bath tonight, and I treated it with peroxide. Overall, she looks very cute, I was surprised, and I think she looks more like a little lamb now.

I went online to investigate shaving pomeranians and very few had good things to say about it. Some said, like I figured as common sense, that the hair simply grows back over time. Some said it doesn't grow back or grows back funny. I wonder if she has clipper burn in that spot and now she will have a permanent bald spot! I also think her skin is sensitive and a bit chaffed so I have to get some lotion tomorrow with aloe vera for her.

My sister-in-law told me that her mother used to shave her dog all the time and then bring him out in the sun. The dog developed a rash which turned into skin cancer...he died one year later! Upon my mother's suggestion, I plan on putting little t-shirts on my Pomeranian when we have to go out during the day. I was kind of hoping this shave would force me to go out for our run/walks more in the evening because I have been in the sun far too much lately and am experiencing facial sunburns, which are very damaging.

Please tell me I did the right thing and my little baby's hair will grow back in normal. Her hair is her trademark and I don't want to regret what I did to her last night for the rest of my life. I will never do that again. I truly cried so very hard this evening about what I did to her...the whole time I was crying, she was licking away my tears.

Mat (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: ppp214.albedo.net
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 4:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you heard everyone has a different opinion. I don't believe for a moment that Bo will develop cancer, or any other long lasting devasting effects as a result of what you did. You have little control over what happens next so try to let it go and go enjoy Bo and the summer.

valharly
Registered Member
Username: valharly

Post Number: 607
Posted From: 1cust3733.an3.cle11.da.uu.net
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 5:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No one can say how her coat will or will not grow back! Some Poms do just fine after a shave and their coats grow in normally, some do not. The best advice anyone can give oyu is to pout aloe on the irritated area, and if it doesn't grow bakc in right, inisst on a thyroid check as thta is the usual cause whne poor regrowth happens. I shave many every year and most grow back in fine.

progroom
Registered Member

Post Number: 2785
Posted From: adsl-68-91-82-85.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 6:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I shaved a Pom every 6 weeks for many years. During the winter we let her coat grow back and it always came in as full and beautiful as before.

MOST dogs have no problems when shaved. A dog with an underlying medical condition can have problems with regrowth. In that case, the shave was still a good thing as it made the owner and Vet aware of the problem and provide treatment.

I really doubt one shaving and the sun exposure from it will cause skin cancer. No, you don't want her sitting out in the sun for a prolonged time. Her skin is not used to it and can sunburn. Going out to potty and a little play time should not be a problem.

As her coat grows in, you do want to make sure to keep it brushed. The outer guard hairs sometimes grow back much slower than the soft undercoat. The undercoat, without the protection of the guard hairs, attracts dirt and can matt easily.

Don't be alarmed if it does grow in a little patchy at first. Some dogs do, then finally get their beautiful coat back as normal. If after 6 months you're still seeing patchy baldness, I'd have her thyroid checked.

Barb

1bluebonbonbonnie (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cache-ntc-ad03.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 8:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do shave a lot of poms, most are not shaved bald but with few exceptions all grew their coats back better then before. Do put a t-shirt on if you are worried about sunburn or skin cancer or put some sun block on, or take the dog out in the early or late part of the day. You might want to consider a longer lenght blade next time. I don't know what type of clippers but I would suggest a lenght equal to a Andis or Oster #4. Most groomers would know that blade lenght so next time you might want to let a groomer do the shaving for your dog.

amazon
Registered Member
Username: amazon

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 24-52-89-146.clvdoh.adelphia.net
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no way cutting hair can effect how the hair will grow out from the follicle. If there is a problem with the coat growing back, it would be a medical or nutritional problem.

You may find the texture of the hair is different. This is because most dogs have 2 coats. an under coat, which is soft and fuzzy, and a guard hair coat, which is the coat you see when you look at the dog. The undercoat can come in first, and it can look weird until the guard hairs grow in, which can take a few months.

valharly
Registered Member
Username: valharly

Post Number: 609
Posted From: 207.68.85.99
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe cutting can't hurt the hair, but it can be the trigger for clipping alopecia. This dog had a healthy normal coat 8 months ago when he came in for a 7F strip. This is 8 months later Clipper  alopecia

one_good_groomer
Registered Member
Username: one_good_groomer

Post Number: 297
Posted From: 24-231-223-10.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sandy
Registered Member
Username: sandy

Post Number: 712
Posted From: ppp-68-89-185-121.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We groom TWO dogs who look exactly like that- and BOTH have thyroid problems. FOr many years, the owner of one of them insisted soemthing we had done caused it- the vets said no way- (I groom in a clinic)and prescribed meds. He started to re-grow the coat and then they stopped the medication- said they couldn't afford it- and he is now back to the bad state you see above. The other little dog has gotten thinner and thinner- the owner never noticed, but I did! And when I pointed this out, she had an exam done and sure enough, thyroid...and he is now all undercoat and looks very much like above, only very thin.

Walljoy, you need to calm down. You did not ruin your dog. Most of us shave poms all the time, and I really feel he will be just fine. The vast majority of the poms I shave come back repeatedly for grooms because their hair grows in so thick and fast, that they want it shaved again! As for the clipper irritation, that is all it is, most likely; and sounds like you have a handle on it with the aloe vera. Relax- you are the type of pet owner we groomers want; you see a problem and jump on a solution, instead of being in denial that it exists.

loves
Registered Member

Post Number: 1914
Posted From: 12-215-222-252.client.mchsi.com
Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I groom a Pom with coat like that. He's a little really fat bugger who feels like he will burst when you pick him up. He also eats Alpo or something similar. I've tried talking to his owner, but you know how that goes.

walljoy (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks...the feedback is very much appreciated! Sandy said it best and I feel a bit better but have my fingers crossed. I was traumatized by what I did to my Pom as far as shaving her but it seems that my little doggie loves it! She does not pant so much anymore and she plays with even more effervescence than before! I went to consignment shops and bought infant size clothing for her to wear during the sunlight hours. She looks like a little lamb and like Mr. Winkle. I also treat her couple of nicks with antiseptic. I do pray, however, that her beautiful cream-colored trademark coat is restored by this fall for the cold weather months...she loves to play in the snow! She is a very healthy doggie as far as I know. I have included a pic of her just before the shave....I do not have on hand the after picture as that is inaccessible at the moment. I had her best interests at heart when I shaved her....she just seemed to be suffering so...thanks for the input!My babydoll (before I mutilated her with the clippers)...she loves greenies!

thedotteddog
Registered Member
Username: thedotteddog

Post Number: 2170
Posted From: adsl-67-117-30-114.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net
Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a sweet looking dog. Find that after pic if you can. It cannot be THAT bad.

walljoy
Registered Member
Username: walljoy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here she is after the shave.

after

loves
Registered Member

Post Number: 1918
Posted From: 12-215-222-252.client.mchsi.com
Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 8:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

walljoy, hmmmm, she does look like she was shaved a tad too close, but you will learn. Did you bathe and dry her first getting all the dead/packed hair out before shaving? That makes it much easier. But she looks happy and cool.

spottydog (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cache-rtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2005 - 1:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does look a bit close in spots, but I can't find where you say what blade you used. It appears to be a 10, if so, I would recommend a 7 or even a 4 next time. If her coat is very packed, the 7 will do the job, but if you are very good and very consistent with brushing her coat out, a 4 will look darling.
She appears very happy in that picture! I'm sure she adores you as much as ever.

hodoo22 (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cpe-203-51-89-20.nsw.bigpond.net.au
Posted on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well this is my first time on this site and while im only an owner not a groomer i would like to say that my not so little pom loves his yearly shave. We were a bit hesitant the first time but after looking at info on the net we decided to take the plunge and it worked out fine. Shadow has a black coat and due to our summers that can reach 35 degrees celcius it really was the best option. He was so much more energenic afterward and the shave lasted us through summer and was back to normal at the start of winter. This has been going on for the last 3 years now and we have never had any grooming problems. Were also lucky in that we only rarely have to brush him which ppl find surprising when they first see him cause normally his fur is the normal long pomeranian fur. He look so different after his shave though lol, he goes grey because of his undercoat! Id give u a picture but i dont have one small enough sorry! I dont know how to make the upload size smaller.

GDGroos (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: ip68-5-1-145.oc.oc.cox.net
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we are a show dog family and we bought a show-home pom about a year ago. he is so tiny so we cant show him...but we have been letting him play with our other show dogs and he has started developing mats that are impossible to get out. so we took him to the groomer and they shaved him with a #7. he looks so short and im scared it wont grow back!!! also, i noticed that he looks very skinny...anything i can feed him to help him gain some weight? all responses will be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 2761
Posted From: stjh1-5538.nb.aliant.net
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 8:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It should grow back just fine. Unless there is a health problem such as a thyroid problem. Perhaps she isn't too skinny but just looks that way without the hair. So many dogs are overweight that it is nice to see some at the right weight. What do you feed your dog now? You could add things like chicken to the diet. How old is your dog?

Registered Member
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

he is 2.3 pounds and is 18 months old. i feed him eukanuba but he never really eats enough no matter how much i give him. it just seems like he's not interested in it? i've tried adding chicken but he just picks the chicken out and eats that and spits the food out!! haha. when he was a baby and we first got him he was so tiny i thought he was guna die (because his sister did). so i went with my mom to the next dog show and bought him "dogzymes" its this syrenge of vitamins and enzyms to help them build up an appetite and establish an immune system.. i give him that every day (as directed) and he's been healthy but i'd like to see a little bit more weight on him (that's what the vet said too...)

hugnpup
Registered Member
Username: hugnpup

Post Number: 98
Posted From: ip70-190-155-201.ph.ph.cox.net
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 4:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here is my Pom boy ( I have 3 Poms) he gets shaved during the summer and grows out Nov - March his hair always grows in fine...

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 2763
Posted From: stjh1-5538.nb.aliant.net
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 5:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful!

How about adding some canned dog food?

ferurizonly
Registered Member
Username: ferurizonly

Post Number: 527
Posted From: 216.191.254.56
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 6:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a sweetie HUGNPUP!

Here are some pictures of my Pom, Daquari. I am her retirement home. She is the best dog, cute as a bug...can never do anything wrong cause she is too darn cute!
daq1
daq2
daq3

daq4

Have a great day...Sue

Registered Member
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

beforeafter
ive tried canned food but then he gets used to it and wont eat the dry food!! here are before and after pictures..

fannemoran
Registered Member
Username: fannemoran

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 69.177.239.217.adsl.snet.net
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 8:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poms can be so beautiful can't they? All these pictures are great!

lyrabella (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: cache1.cdc.gov
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi-
I have a 15 week old pom girl with a black/white coat. Her breeder said to have her shaved when she hits the 'uglies' so that the coat will grow back in thicker. Her coat is short but not sure if she's in the uglies yet or not. I feed her eukanuba (but she's finicky like GDGroos)...hint for you, try a little beef/meat juice added instead of wet food (don't drench it so it's completely soft though).

Questions:
Does she look like she's in the uglies? How do I tell? I was told she would shed out most of her hair overnite. She doesn't shed much now except in the bath...when I brush her some comes out but not much.

Should I shave her or let it be? After reading these posts, I'm scared. I've noticed her undercoat fuzzies are coming in thicker right now, but I'm not having trouble brushing it out.

She also seems to have a little bit of dry skin...I heard PetSilk was a good product?

progroom
Registered Member

Post Number: 2911
Posted From: adsl-67-65-63-170.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally, I would not shave her. I see no reason. Most coat types are genetic. She'll either have a nice full coat or she won't. I don't think Shaving it is going to make a difference.

Barb

catsmom
Registered Member
Username: catsmom

Post Number: 1156
Posted From: cache-rtc-ae01.proxy.aol.com
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I comment on finicky? I take in dogs from shelter and rescue situations. I have no idea what they've eaten before. Every one of my dogs eats Natural Balance, I think it's an excellent super premium food. Oh, they may not eat it for several days. Heck I had one not eat for a week. But eventually hunger takes over and they eat. Owners create finicky dogs. In my house, this is what I serve. You eat it or you go hungry, end of story. I've never had a dog or cat starve to death and I have very healthy animals in beautiful condition. And I've never had a finicky animal, either!

doggygirl
Registered Member

Post Number: 3210
Posted From: stjhnbsuh71-156034005172.nb.aliant.net
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 5:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't either and I figure it is because I don't give choices. I do have two clients with Havenese and they say the dogs are super picky because the breeder was a rawfeeder. I don't necessarily think that is the problem. As long as you are putting out a healthy food and the dog has no health problems, then I wouldn't worry too much. I would not shave your dog either. A real cutie!

diamondog
Registered Member
Username: diamondog

Post Number: 2481
Posted From: 209.247.222.45
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen to catsmom, and doggygirl,...and Barb,
Gee, this is a really agreeable thread. LOL!

lyrabella (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 24-181-29-151.dhcp.smyr.ga.charter.com
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the answers! I agree with creating finicky eaters...when I don't give in, she eventually eats, but sometimes I worry she's not eating enough. But funny thing--I started using the dry euk food as rewards and she likes it more...and eats it more on her own now. I give her special treats now to teach new commands and use the food for learned ones...seems to be working. I wonder when she'll catch on? LOL
Her coat seems to be growing so I won't shave her.
Thanks-L

lorgul
Registered Member
Username: lorgul

Post Number: 102
Posted From: wireless-206-126-214-206.nconnect.net
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a regular practice to shave pom pups, this is the second post that I've seen talking about uglies in poms, I'd never heard of it before and never thought those little show poms would have been shaved. Anyhow, I am a groomer and if you are keeping your pom as a pet I wouldn't shave, if you like her hair leave it alone. A thicker coat just means more work brushing and grooming, and it looks like shes growing just fine.

stephanie
Registered Member
Username: stephanie

Post Number: 747
Posted From: hse-toronto-ppp296682.sympatico.ca
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also puppies often have dry skin, it's not a big deal...I think it's because they're growing so fast.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.