Please visit and support our valued sponsors!
Our Valued Sponsors
in the GROOMERS LOUNGE the Groomers Directory
and the Grooming Schools Directory

Non sponsor links and/or advertising is prohibited

Disguising dog's heat season Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Groomers BBS » Pet Owners Ask the Groomer! » OTHER TOPICS » Disguising dog's heat season « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

borzoimom
Registered Member
Username: borzoimom

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 65.119.160.242
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question for everyone out there. Many years ago my mother used a product which when sprayed on the back end of a female dog in heat, would mask the scent. Does anyone know of this product? What is it called and where can you get it? I ask because I run an obedience class and a female dog came into heat after 1 class. She really needs this class and I will no longer be teaching another class after this one. We have 2 intact male dogs in this class and don't want them distracted. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

dogshowaddict
Registered Member
Username: dogshowaddict

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 63.189.192.115
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a spray being marketed called Lust Buster.
The most effective remedy I know of is chlorophyll. You can even feed a bitch Clorets mint lozenges. However, it must be ingested on a twice-daily basis, beginning at the start of the heat cycle, then the dosage can be backed off to once daily after a few days. The RING 5 makes a chlorophyll tablet just for bitches, with explanatory instuctions. However, if you could figure out the appropriate dosage, you could just obtain chlorophyll from a health food store.
However, I would guess that my nutritional supplement suggestion is rather moot, since you are wanting something that can be administered right before the obedience class session.
Therefore, I would track down the non-aeresol Lust Buster. Good luck!

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 5893
Posted From: 152.163.253.40
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chlorophyll is my recommendation too. I never had much noticeable effect from the sprays. Chlorophyll is about as nontoxic as anything you can get, so have them get some tabs from the health food store and give her a couple tabs a day throughout her season. Unless of course they plan on breeding her this season. I always found it very effective.

On the other hand, a bitch in season is a great proofing distraction for the other dogs. If they can ignore that they're ready for just about anything! Shirley Chong discounts her seminar and camp fees for bitches in season, for just that reason.

pawformance (Unregistered Guest)
Registered Member
Posted From: 64.228.150.243
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok the sprays didnt work for me whatsoever! Are you all telling me that there could be a way that would help me not want to shoot my males when the girls are in heat??? I would still seperate them, but if i could stop the males from howling and barking and .... you know...that would be awsome! Now i have some hope thanks guys! I'll definitely give it a try!
This board has changed my life i swear!

rev
Username: rev

Post Number: 5895
Posted From: 152.163.253.40
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, living with them is a little different from just encountering them in some public place; the scent is more concentrated, for one thing. But sure you can help. The chlorophyll does work to mute the odors substantially--it used to be sold as "No-Mate" tabs, and I showed bitches in season with no problem, and they lived with the dogs at home with no fussing--crated or fenced to separate but not actually apart.

One thing that may help, is to crate your bitch next to your dominant dog. Then the dog figures ok, she's there and I can keep an eye on her and maybe have her when she's ready. Meanwhile the other dogs don't go so nuts, maybe because they think she's already spoken for by the top dog. In runs, alternating dogs and bitches works pretty well too.

Another thing you can do is darned well teach the dogs that acting like idiots isn't permitted. Keep a secluded and maybe covered crate handy, and when the dog starts raising a ruckus, cheerfully and matter of factly plop him into the crate for a few minutes, releasing him without fuss in a few minutes when he's being reasonably calm. Repeat as needed. There's no reason to let dogs act crazy. Also, if you breed them, have a special place for that, so they learn that it will NEVER happen in the normal living quarters.

englishmastiff
Registered Member
Username: englishmastiff

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 71.160.168.118
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh my gosh I am so glad to hear that evryone else has these problems too. My male never howls and he has been howling for 3 days!!! It is driving us crazy!! I am trying chlorophill toooo!!!!!!!!!!!

yorkees
Registered Member
Username: yorkees

Post Number: 1955
Posted From: 69.19.14.45
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a little dab of "Vicks" applied to the MALES nostrils will keep him from being able to smell the bitch for a few hours....at least long enough to get through an obedience or conformation class

groomnpoodles
Registered Member
Username: groomnpoodles

Post Number: 729
Posted From: 63.227.251.179
Posted on Thursday, November 1, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny story about Vicks'. Was having dinner with a friend and her Dad last week and telling stories. Josie asked her Dad to tell me the story about the Vicks... he got embarassed. He was a new Dad and was changing diapers on his oldest son who had diaper rash. Yep, you guessed it... he inadvertantly grabbed the tube of Vicks' instead of Desitin. OWWWEEEE
Then told them that we used to put Vicks in the nostrils of stud horses in halter classes. And other contestants used Vicks on geldings' male parts when showing to keep them from
''running out'' while standing in the class, especially if they were tranq'd.

tsmith1095
Registered Member
Username: tsmith1095

Post Number: 575
Posted From: 64.12.116.6
Posted on Thursday, November 1, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sigh...there isn't enough Vicks in the state to help my household at the moment. 5 girls in season, 4 intact males, 1who is showing these next three days and it's the first time he has been exposed to the smell. My house is nothing but raging hormones. The crested girls sing to the boys, the boys whimper, whine, howl and bark. Luckly the minpin girls are quietly in lust.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Copyright 1995-2010 The Groomers Lounge, All rights reserved.
No reproduction without the express written permission of the GL and/or the original poster.